NetGalley

Author Topic: Found the perfect K3 cover: Speck Products Fitfolio!!!!  (Read 2914 times)  

Offline rotipom

• View Profile
Found the perfect K3 cover: Speck Products Fitfolio!!!!
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »
I have written here : http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,99055.0.html about looking for a K3 cover that most resembles the idea and fit of the new Amazon basic and touch covers. I like how those take advantage of the small and slim kindle design, have a custom fit cradle that fits the kindle like a glove, and no extraneous straps or etc that covers and distracts the face of the kindle.

I didn't know one actually exists for the K3 and after a LOT of digging, I stumbled upon one by Speck Products!
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-SPK-A0519-Fitfolio--Readers/dp/B006HGKLUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326935718&sr=8-3

It came today, and it's beautiful! Not as beautifully handmade as a Portenzo book-style cover with bamboo frame, but a solid, good quality custom-fit case. It is the perfect blend of what I want in a K3 case, affordable, well-made, good feel in the hands, slim and light profile, and distraction free mounting!

A few notes comparing it to the Amazon basic and touch covers (similar concept):
1. The textured leatherette (faux) feels more soft and padded and seems to scratch less easily compared to Amazon's beautiful but delicate fine-grained real leather.
2. There is a clever and discreet elastic clasp that does not take away from the slim and minimal profile of the case and the kindle. It is quite clever really! The Amazon cases have no clasps or closure mechanisms.
3. Not quite as gorgeously sleek as Amazon's design, but heads and shoulders above any other non-handmade case in the market! Really, lightweight and practically bulk-free!!
4. Nice faux suede on the inside, with nice depressions/extrusions that gently cradle the front of the kindle when close. The fabric on my black case is black, not as stylish as Amazon's grey-tone one, but still very nice.
5. Most importantly, the case DISAPPEARS, and lets the pages of the book be front and center!!

Let me know if anyone has any questions or want to see pictures!

-AT
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:31:14 PM by rotipom »

Offline caseyf6

• View Profile
    • Passages-- On the Brink and Diving In
Re: Found the perfect K3 cover: Speck Products Fitfolio!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
Oooh, that is a NICE one!  Thanks for the review-- it looks amazing!  Thanks!

Offline rotipom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
You're welcome, just want to spread the word  ;D  It is! It's really really nice, grated it came out October last year, but I'm so surprised no one's talked about it AT ALL here. Especially those naked-kindle lovers. And it's a breeze to order from their website, free shipping and super-fast but Amazon sells it cheaper.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
Yes, I agree.  The fitfolio cradle shows the K3 graphite bezel in a very clean manner such that it looks integrated into the reader itself.  It is like a streamlined version of the official Amazon cover for the K3, and looks very much like the new K4/KT official Amazon cover except for the detail mentioned by the original poster above.

Now if only Oberon can design a cover that integrates its intricate and beautiful leather handiwork with the Speck cradle - that would a WINNER!  For any Kindle for that matter...  ::)
Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!
2017-to-date: 4
2017 Target: 60

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/