KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Best Mac for writing purposes?  (Read 2078 times)  

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
Best Mac for writing purposes?
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
I'm what you could call a power user. I'm a gamer. I build computers. I have a LAMP server. As you might guess, I have always stuck my nose up at Mac products.

But publishing has devoured my life for the last year and I don't have hobbies anymore. (Heh.) Now that it's getting to be time for a new computer, I'm thinking I won't cobble together Frankenstein's PC, but instead get a Mac so that I can publish directly to the Apple store.

So... what's your favorite Mac for writing purposes? I was considering a Macbook Air, but I do a lot of intensive graphic design, too, so I'm wondering if a Macbook Pro might be better for me. My only concern is that they look kinda big. I write outside the house a lot.

Give me your squishy, squishy thoughts.

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
  • Engineer by Day Writer by Night
    • View Profile
    • WrittenByBrian
Re: Best Mac for writing purposes?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
I love my MacBook Pro - that in combination with VMWare and I can do pretty much anything I want.

I am saving up for a MacBook Air. Just love the footprint of it.

Offline Michael Robertson Jr

• View Profile
    • Michael Robertson Jr
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:46:45 PM »
I've got an 11 inch Air and love it to the point of embarrassment. You can't get more portable without just using a tablet.

That said... I also have an iMac for my gaming, programming, graphics, video, etc.

The specs for the current Airs are pretty solid when you consider the SSD drives installed, but for "intense" graphics work and/or gaming, I would consider the macbook pro, just for an advanced GPU.

Offline Luckymoose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
I use a MacBook Pro for my day to day educational needs. That being said, the keyboard has serious issues when it comes to a wrist rest and comfort. Note that long typing periods on the MacBook Pro lines will leave your wrists resting awkwardly on the sharp edges of the brushed aluminum. If anything try to use a full sized keyboard to save your poor wrists.

Offline J.L. Jarvis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
I've primarily been a PC person for years, but I just bought a MacBook Air and I LOVE it. (I've got an iPad, so I opted for the larger screened 13" MacBook Air.) As a second computer for writing and portability, it's amazing. It's so thin and light, and it boots up in a few seconds. The keyboard has a light, springy touch which, although not tested, I think makes me type faster. It uses flash memory instead of a regular hard drive, so it's absolutely silent. I love that.

It's absolutely ideal as a second computer. I wouldn't opt for this as a primary computer, though, because it lacks the hard drive space and ports (and disc drive!) that you'd want in a primary computer.

But for my purposes, I'm ridiculously in love with this thing.

Offline Hugh Howey

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Howey
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
13" Air. The vertical real estate on the 11" suffers, in my opinion.

This is probably the best writing tool ever made.

Hugh Howey | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • Terrence OBrien
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
I use an iMac with the 22 inch screen. I write in episodes, with each one comprising a separate file. So a book might have over 100 files. The large screen makes it very easy to open multiple files at the same time.

The iMac sits right next to a 24 inch PC screen I use for trading. When not using the trading system, I connect the PC screen to the iMac and have two monitors available for displaying lots of files at the same time. Using AppleTV, I can then review the files on the big screen TV from the comfort of a lounge chair. Yes, I'm a gadget geek and proud of it.

Using DropBox, all the files are available on the iMac, iphone, iPad, PC netbook, AppleTV, and my three other PC machines.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:15:02 PM by Terrence OBrien »
When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
For UK Readers At Amazon UK
For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline Damon J Courtney

• View Profile
    • damonjcourtney.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
I'm on a Macbook Pro for my day job, but if I were buying my own as a writing machine, I'd get the 13" Air.  The 11" is really nice to carry around for its weight and size, but I would probably rather have the extra screen real estate.  And, more importantly, the extra 2 hours of battery life.

Also, do yourself a favor and at least download the trial of Scrivener.  You'll never look back. 0-]

Offline Bakari

• View Profile
    • eBook Magic: An Overall Approach to Writing and Selling E-books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Everywhere Else
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
MacBook Pro. But then again, any Mac will due.

Offline Greer

• View Profile
    • GreerHartley.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »
Also, do yourself a favor and at least download the trial of Scrivener.  You'll never look back. 0-]

You beat me to it, Damon. Scrivener is awesome. But it's not just for Mac users anymore -- v1.0 (or should that be v1.1?) for PC has been out since around Christmas.

Offline Ian Marks

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 03:35:10 PM »
The best Mac for writing is still a PC.
- Ian

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
I do most of my writing on my 3+ year-old iMac. I can also format my books in Pages, both the print and ebook editons. The present lines of iMacs have good monitors and plenty of hard drive space.

I'm writing this post on my iPad 2. For casual writing it's fine. With Numbers for iPad I can keep track of sales; I have my book catalog in iBooks; and I have my book trailers on here. I even use some photo apps to do the occasional cover (the yearbook cover effect for True Friends, for one).

I wonder if power use you'd want an iMac, and for portable use the iPad. With the iPad 3 due, the price of the iPad 2 will go down. There are keyboards and keyboard cases for the iPad 2 already out there. Of course, the rumor is that the iPad 3 will have a good camera. Anyway, that's my thinking. Hope it works out, whatever you end up with.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
I wonder if power use you'd want an iMac, and for portable use the iPad.
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I got an iPad 2 for Christmas, so I could get the keyboard for that and buy a Mac desktop for publishing instead.

Offline LilianaHart

• Texas
  • www.lilianahart.com
    • View Profile
    • Liliana Hart
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
That sounds pretty familiar to me. I swore I would never use I Mac. I like to game, and everything on a PC was just easier

But...

I decided I needed a serious computer for my writing and all the business aspects that seem to be popping up daily. I went and tested a bunch of different ones, and ended up buying a Macbook Air. I've had it about three weeks, and I freaking LOVE this computer. It's really comportable to write on--my fingers fly across the keyboard. All of the programs I had trouble running on my PC, like Photoshop, work like a dream, it's really fast, and it's a little over 2 pounds. The best purchase I've ever made besides my Keurig :)

Offline LilianaHart

• Texas
  • www.lilianahart.com
    • View Profile
    • Liliana Hart
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »
I have no idea why all of that is in quotes, btw.

Offline MikeAngel

• Portland OR
  • "Keep it pithy"
    • View Profile
    • The Ultimate Mark Twain Reference Work
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
The best Mac is the one you have to pay too much for.  >:(

Wait! That's any Mac. Okay. Never mind.  :-\

Offline WilliamEsmont

• View Profile
    • William Esmont
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »
11" Air here. I also have an external 22" display for when I'm at my desk @home.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
That sounds pretty familiar to me. I swore I would never use I Mac. I like to game, and everything on a PC was just easier

But...

I decided I needed a serious computer for my writing and all the business aspects that seem to be popping up daily. I went and tested a bunch of different ones, and ended up buying a Macbook Air. I've had it about three weeks, and I freaking LOVE this computer. It's really comportable to write on--my fingers fly across the keyboard. All of the programs I had trouble running on my PC, like Photoshop, work like a dream, it's really fast, and it's a little over 2 pounds. The best purchase I've ever made besides my Keurig :)

Now I want one. :) I'm so impressed with my daughter's iPod, that it's made a believer out of me on the Mac products. I'll get the one with the bigger screen and longer battery life though. Especially since I bought her an Android tablet, but half the android apps won't load because I don't have "android" phone service. What's up with that?
My daughter won't touch her tablet because of how hard they've made it to download anything useful. That right there unsold me on all android products and onto Mac.
I don't have a  service from an Apple products carrier either, but everything and everything uploads just fine onto the iPod including a Kindle app.

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube