Author Topic: Win a book cover design package worth $550, designed by me! [pg3]  (Read 12820 times)  

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
  • Book designer & business coach
    • View Profile
    • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
[I will continue to update this thread with my work- so please check the last page for the latest book covers from my folio]

Now is the time for book covers! Imagine, come January 1st, having a new or revised book cover.

What's my purpose as a Publishing Identity Consultant and Designer?

To inspire, strengthen and pursue the perception of the industry that self-publishing is professional publishing. To be a major contributor and player in improving the respectability of independent publishing on three levels.

1. On an individual basis by empowering the authors and building a professional publishing identity for you.
2. On a small market basis by encouraging others to provide high quality design - whether DIY or with other, lower priced book designers.
3. On an industry-wide level by establishing a new, high quality customer service and design experience and leading by example for others to follow, and to continue to produce the best book design across the board, in both traditional and self-publishing industries.

I empower you through design, to find your inner power to be a best seller. Take your professional publishing identity to the next level.

Come on by to check out what could benefit you and your next book promotion adventure!

http://booksat.scarlettrugers.com/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:26:01 PM by Scarlett_R »

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Book Cover Design and Book Promotion Packages
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:50 AM »
Hi ladies and gents- I have put together some book promotion packages along with a book cover design if you're interested.

The promotions and packages range from $50 to $450, and include things like promotional posters, bookmarks, business cards, and website/Facebook banners. Please head on over to my website and check it out :)

http://www.booksat.scarlettrugers.com

Here are some examples of my work:

Cheers!

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Book Cover Design and Book Promotion Packages
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:14:46 AM »
Hi, Scarlett--

you're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Caf, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as in the Book Bazaar:  you may have one thread and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts within seven days. 

I've merged today's thread with a prior thread about your website.

Thanks for understanding, and good luck!

Betsy
KB Moderator
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
Thanks Betsy! I wasn't sure what was the best thing to do.

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »
Some of my latest book cover designs

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:30:07 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking for writers to fill this out: http://booksat.scarlettrugers.com/bookcoverdesign/self-publishing-survey/

It's only a five minute survey. It's to give me some insight in to your experiences, your successes, your strengths and weaknesses with writing, reading, and self-publishing. Obviously the more the merrier!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:39:03 PM by Scarlett_R »

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
Re: Writing and Self-publishing- Can you fill out my survey?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
Scarlett,

You do some lovely work. A cut above the normal.

Dave
Stuff for writers thisaway

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
Thank you so much Dave :) I always appreciate feedback!

Offline AnneMarie Novark

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • www.annemarienovark.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
Scarlette,

I filled out the survey. Wow! It is very comprehensive.

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
Share your writing experiences!

Hi guys- still looking for more participants for the survey: http://booksat.scarlettrugers.com/bookcoverdesign/self-publishing-survey/
I want to know about your journey! Your best writing experience, your worst, how do you find information about writing and self publishing on the internet?

Don't miss out on the discount for your book cover!

I also wanted to let you guys know there's only three more places left for the $50 promotion for a cover! Please get in now or you'll miss out!

Offline Steven R. Drennon

• San Antonio, TX
    • View Profile
    • Steven R. Drennon
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »
AAAARGH! I just spent more than 5 minutes filling out your survey, only to be foiled by Google Docs when I tried to submit my responses! I couldn't remember my password since I log in to my Google account about once a year, so it booted me out and I lost my responses. NOT a very friendly way of handling things! I would strongly recommend that you warn people in advance that they need to be signed in to their Google account or know their account information BEFORE starting the survey. Otherwise you'll end up very frustrated like me!

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
<updated>

I've been working with self-published authors for a while now and have adjusted my prices to include products of what I think could really help you guys.

To start with you've got a digital version of your cover for your eBook purposes, and  a high resolution back and front cover of your book.

On top of that you might want personalized bookmarks for your book? How about a business card? Do you need a web banner or a facebook banner to go with your book cover?

I'm now offering packages ranging from $100-$450, depending on your budget, for book covers.

Come on by to check out what could benefit you and your next book promotion adventure!

http://booksat.scarlettrugers.com/

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:24:18 PM by Scarlett_R »

Offline dalya

• View Profile
These new covers are so fantastic!

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Thankyou D :D

Offline AshMP

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • Visit my author website for information on my books and upcoming event. Visit my blog--a day to day journey in the pursuit publication!
Scarlett you're brilliant!

Ashley Mackler-Paternostro | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Rachel Schurig

• View Profile
    • rachelschurig.com
I loooove the covers Scarlett has done for me. I updated to her covers right before I started a free run and I really think they helped me stand out. Really can't recommend her enough!

Offline Sean Patrick Fox

• CT
    • View Profile
I've worked with Scarlett and it was a real pleasure. I recommend her to anyone looking for a great cover.

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Thanks you so much for the recommendation guys :) Greatly appreciated. Here's some latest books:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:53:47 AM by Scarlett_R »

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I noticed a lot of members saying they were unsure, and were daunted, by the idea of approaching a designer or artist to design their book cover. A while ago I wrote a blog post about how to find a book cover. You can find more articles on book cover design and self-publishing here: http://www.booksat.scarlettrugers.com/bookcoverdesign

I hope this helps a little for those hesitant, but want to, invest in hiring a cover designer:

You've decided to hire a designer to design your book cover! Awesome!
So where does a writer start?

Google
Using search terms like "Book cover designer" or "book cover design for self publishing" is effective. The more refined you are the better results you'll get. Add keywords like your location, your genre, 'affordable', or 'beautiful'. Try "book cover design" and get familiar with different websites, designers, archives or galleries. If you see some that you love follow through to the website of the graphic designer to get in touch with them.

Word of mouth
Facebook and Twitter are amazing resources as search engines. Get in touch with your writing community, ask other self published authors if they had good experiences with their designers or if there's someone they can suggest. Try using this example:

"I'm looking for a book cover designer. Can anyone recommend a good one?"

This is an especially good resource to use since people's experiences are usually a reliable way to find someone who will work well for you.

Looking at a book you love and checking on the inside for the designer
The majority of books will mention the cover designer on the inside, possibly on the copyright page or at the back. Pick up a couple of paperbacks you like the look of and check inside. If you put their name in to your search engine that should populate their contact details so you can get in touch with them for a quote. If you can't find the designer in the book get in touch with the publisher and ask them for the details.

Writing/author self publishing forums
Search your regular writing forum and see if there are posts about book designers, experiences, and/or results. Writer's love showing the end product, and they're more than willing to share the details of the designer with the forum. If they haven't, PM the user and ask them if they can provide you the details.

What do you do to find the right designer?

• Browse the work of the designer. You may like one of their covers but it's important to be familiar with a variety of their work. The cover you like so much may be a one hit wonder, or you might find you're drawn to their entire folio.
  • Consider their history and experience. Have they done only one or two covers, or do they have a large gallery? Are they a writer, which gives them the benefit of seeing things from your perspective? Do they have any testimonials? Are they a professional or hobbyist?
  • Go with your gut instinct. This is always the most important element. If it doesn't feel right- don't do it. Even if it's a friend who has recommended them you're not obligated to work with someone if you don't want to. Writers are pretty instinctive people so if something rubs you the wrong way then keep shopping. You can always return to the website and get in contact with the designer!

What do you say when you want to get in contact with the designer?

• What your book is about. Don't go in to great detail but at least hit the main points, as well as the genre and sub-genre.
  • What design/theme you're looking for. Try and find examples in other book designs so that you can give them a clear idea. If you don't know then say that instead. Tell them you're open to concepts and ideas they might have.
  • Your budget limitations. Whether it's $10 or $1000 be honest. There's no point is telling them you can afford more when you can't, and you will be in a very tangled web at the end of the project when you are up against a contract that says you have to pay in full!
  • Tell them if you have a timeline you're working with, or not.
  • Don't know what you want? Start by figuring out what images you want on your book cover: What images should I have on my cover?

That is usually enough information to get the ball rolling. Why not get out there now and start window shopping for your book cover? Or head over and read about the 4 things that will make you the perfect client for a designer, to prepare yourself.

The latest article is: How to produce a book others will believe is traditionally published.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:01:35 AM by Scarlett_R »

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Hi guys here are some of the latest book covers:

Offline David Adams

• Canberra, Australia
  • David Dalglish's Kobold Minion
    • View Profile
    • The Lacunaverse
Wow, impressive stuff. Me likey.
Lacuna series novels:Fantasy:Bad fanfiction:Par. Romance:
Lacuna series updates: http://www.facebook.com/lacunaverse

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Thank you David :)

Online Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Updating with some of my latest work:

Offline Savannah_Page

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Savannah Page, author
Re: $100 Professional Quality Book Covers + Packages [updated artwork]
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
Some really beautiful work, Scarlett! Really amazing talent!

And I love the design and functionality of your website.

Offline Margo Karasek

• New York
    • View Profile
Re: $100 Professional Quality Book Covers + Packages [updated artwork]
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 08:16:33 AM »
Love, love, love the covers, Scarlett! Can't wait to start working with you :D