Author Topic: Andrew Ashling: Bonds of Hate (Historical Fantasy - Explicit Gay Romance) FREE  (Read 22259 times)  

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
  • Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"There are several interesting threads running through this first book in the Bonds of Hate series. The first one, and the one the reader gets the least number of clues about , is that of the story teller himself. Who is he, who is the man who is his audience, and what the heck is up with that stool! Many of the scenes between the two young prince / half brothers make me feel sad and lonely for them and make me angry at their despicable treatment of each other. They seem to be, in essence, two broken children unable to climb out of their predicament."

More of this review on Amazon.

Bonds of Hate, the first book in the Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse series is now free on Kindle, Apple iPad, Nook and Kobo

If you want to receive an email when I publish a new book, please subscribe to my New Releases Newsletter. I only send an email when I have a new release, an exclusive excerpt of work in progress, or a free, downloadable short story available.

FREE: Bonds of Hate (First book of Dark Tales) | Amazon: kindle-format | Kobo: epub | ARe: epub & mobi | B&N: epub | iTunes: iBook

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"What a wonderful and awesome book this! I was hooked from the first chapter and I loved the historical aspect of this book"

More of this review on iTunes.

Bonds of Hate, the first book in the Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse series is now free on Kindle, Apple iPad, Nook and Kobo

If you want to receive an email when I publish a new book, please subscribe to my New Releases Newsletter. I only send an email when I have a new release, an exclusive excerpt of work in progress, or a free, downloadable short story available.

FREE: Bonds of Hate (First book of Dark Tales) | Amazon: kindle-format | Kobo: epub | ARe: epub & mobi | B&N: epub | iTunes: iBook

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
A brilliant FREE read!

"I found this read so damn intriguing, I really enjoyed it. Now in parts this book is written in the third person, and others in the first person. At first I was a little thrown by this but once I settled into this read, I became comfortable with it and liked it! There are many characters introduced throughout and all have good reason to be part of the story. I liked that I was standing on the outside watching the story unfold and then given privy to the characters thoughts and feelings on the situation taking place or to the opposing characters."

More of this review on Amazon UK.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"I have to say that his writing voice/style is easy to read without stumbling over the complexity of what he was trying to convey. I'm pretty picky with regard to who I read and Mr. Ashling has joined my list of authors worth reading. He is certainly the first gay author who writes gay romance/adventure/intrigue to find himself on my "buy the book" list. :-)
I liked that he starts out the book by informing the reader that he pretty much ignores the rules with regard to genre's and editorial do's and don'ts. I think that means he is writing because he love it, and it shows."

More of this review (which is actually for the free extended sampler) on Amazon.

Bonds of Hate, the first book in the Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse series is now free on Kindle, Apple iPad, Nook, and Kobo

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"I have read four of these books so far and am completely addicted to this series. I wondered if I would like it because I don't usually read war or fantasy. However, I had seen some of Andrew's comments on a widely read newspaper blog and found his way with words compelling."

More of this review on Goodreads.

Bonds of Hate, the first book in the Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse series is now free on Kindle, Apple iPad, Nook, and Kobo

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
Excellent read

"I was pleasantly surprised by this author and novel. The story has courage and valor in abundance. Not for the faint of heart as it can be graphic at times both in sexuality and violence. I found the plotline to be quite engaging and found myself floating along with the flow of the tale. For anyone who is interested in mideival type stories, this is the tale for you. This story is rife with homosexual overtones, so if this is offensive to you, you may not want to read along. However, it is part of the story and is played out on a very human level."

This review on Barnes&Noble

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
" The story arc is over 3 books and through all 3 books the plot is rock solid. There are multiple plot lines and they all work seamlessly together. Things aren't spelled out and spoon fed so when a plot point finally culminated, you were at least a little surprised every time. I hate being spoon-fed a plot so that I can guess how it ends 20 pages into the book. In this series, I wasn't even sure the main character would live through all 3 books!"

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"I haven't read a gay novel as good as this....well.... ever. And, I read quite a bit. The author knows how to weave a story, develop a plot and pull all the characters together is a way that just draws you in and almost makes you feel as if you are there. Each character is vivid and distinct. There's just enough erotica to enhance the novel, rather than define it."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"I have read four of these books so far and am completely addicted to this series. I wondered if I would like it because I don't usually read war or fantasy. However, I had seen some of Andrew's comments on a widely read newspaper blog and found his way with words compelling."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"First off let me say that this is not traditional "historical fiction", in that, the story supposedly takes place 1400 years AFTER the apocalypse that destroys our modern world. The people have rebuilt somewhat, but all of the "modern" technology and conveniences have been lost- so the story is set in a medieval-type culture complete with kings, dukes, counts and barons. Unlike our historical medieval period, this society does not have a hateful religion dictating its morals and beliefs, thus, homosexuality is accepted. However, they don't have traditional gay marriage; nobles are still expected to produce heirs to carry on the name- especially the first-born sons. It was nice to finally read a book that wasn't full of men hiding their sexuality or having to read about characters forced to bed women."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"I actually had no idea whether to rate it 1 STAR or 5 STARS.

I hated and loved it so much I have no idea which one should choose. There really is such a fine line between the two emotions. But the book actually ended on such a pleasant note - and d*mn mysterious since I am dying to know who the [expletive] the story teller is.

(by the way, by pleasant note, I actually don't mean HFN, HEA, or anything remotely similar. I've lowered my the standard mark for "pleasant" it seems)"

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
Great Series - as a gay man I loved it

"Great book series I have read all the books written by this author and it is great mix of just the right amount of taboo erotica and adventure great series if you are open minded a great gay fiction series and this is just one of the many great books in the series you will not be disappointed at least I sure wasn't it was great book. Maybe not the book you would want your mother to read but if your into fantasy its a great read."

More of this review on Amazon Germany

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
Excellent read

"I was pleasantly surprised by this author and novel. The story has courage and valor in abundance. Not for the faint of heart as it can be graphic at times both in sexuality and violence. I found the plotline to be quite engaging and found myself floating along with the flow of the tale. For anyone who is interested in medieval type stories, this is the tale for you. This story is rife with homosexual overtones, so if this is offensive to you, you may not want to read along. However, it is part of the story and is played out on a very human level."

This review on Barnes & Noble

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"Dark, very dark, but such an awesome discovery. I love finding a series like this; one that I want to keep reading non-stop until the very end. Bonds of hate is a story about two princes with a love hate relationship. I don't like spoilers so I won't say much. Just that I'm in love with the young prince Anaxantis, but I fear for him."

More of this review on Goodreads

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
A Car-Wreck You Can't Turn Away From

"With that being said, this book is an extremely psychologically painful book to read- it was the first book I've ever read where I felt sick through most of it. It had nothing to do with the 'content' of the storyline, but had to do with the emotional and psychological pain between Anaxantis and Ehandar. I was drawn to Anaxantis in the beginning, but then found myself more on Ehandar's side... yet, towards the end when Anaxantis explained everything to his friend Hemarchidas and you saw the events through Anaxantis' eyes- only then do you realize the full impact it had upon him. When the event occurred early in the story, it was see from above, and not through the eyes of either- yet hearing the event from Anaxantis, you realize how much it truly did scar him. However, I still didn't lose my feelings for Ehandar, as he truly wanted to do everything he possibly could to make it up to Anaxantis."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"I have to say that his writing voice/style is easy to read without stumbling over the complexity of what he was trying to convey. I'm pretty picky with regard to who I read and Mr. Ashling has joined my list of authors worth reading. He is certainly the first gay author who writes gay romance/adventure/intrigue to find himself on my "buy the book" list. :-)
I liked that he starts out the book by informing the reader that he pretty much ignores the rules with regard to genre's and editorial do's and don'ts. I think that means he is writing because he love it, and it shows."

More of this review (which is actually for the free extended sampler) on Amazon.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"Many of the scenes between the two young prince / half brothers make me feel sad and lonely for them and make me angry at their despicable treatment of each other. They seem to be, in essence, two broken children unable to climb out of their predicament."

More of this review on Goodreads