Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Andrew Ashling: Bonds of Fear (Historical Fantasy - Explicit Gay Romance)  (Read 16597 times)  

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
  • Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
Re: Andrew Ashling: Bonds of Fear (Historical Fantasy - Explicit Gay Romance)
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
"So what happens in this second installment? Basically, everyone is even more bad ass and bloodthirsty and awesome. And the most amazing thing is that all this bad*ssery and bloodthirstiness ring true, because we're in a pseudo-medieval world where if you don't shed blood, your blood is going to be shed. At this point, killing people seems like a perfectly logical course of action."

More of this review on Goodreads.

Bonds of Hate, the first book in the Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse series is now free on Kindle, Apple iPad, Nook and Kobo

If you want to receive an email when I publish a new book, please subscribe to my New Releases Newsletter. I only send an email when I have a new release, an exclusive excerpt of work in progress, or a free, downloadable short story available.

FREE: Bonds of Hate (First book of Dark Tales) | Amazon: kindle-format | Kobo: epub | ARe: epub & mobi | B&N: epub | iTunes: iBook

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
It is an intricate tale that revolves around Anaxantis, the fourth son of the reigning King, and the only son of the current Queen. It is a story that is told in both first and third person POV, as well as from multiple characters. Everything says that this shouldn't work, yet it does, and surprisingly well.
(...)
Here in the second book, we start to see more of the King's plans, and what truly lies beneath them, while Anaxantis fights to prove his father wrong, as well as for his country's survival. He continues to grow in strength, but his internal battles also grow, and at times, he struggles with the burden of it all, as well as the cost of his decisions.

Bonds of Hate, the first book in the Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse series is now free on Kindle, Apple iPad, Nook and Kobo

If you want to receive an email when I publish a new book, please subscribe to my New Releases Newsletter. I only send an email when I have a new release, an exclusive excerpt of work in progress, or a free, downloadable short story available.

FREE: Bonds of Hate (First book of Dark Tales) | Amazon: kindle-format | Kobo: epub | ARe: epub & mobi | B&N: epub | iTunes: iBook

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"The second installment of this stunning series brings with it a story as compelling and fast paced as the first. A usual, the political intrigue and high fantasy-esque atmosphere is fascinating and frankly, makes the book near impossible to put down. It's difficult to describe and talk about a book such as this. Though it graces my 'gritty' shelf, there are a many chapters of relieving humor that helped me get through this book when times got tough.

Also, Mr. Ashling is astounding adept at making tangible and very realistic characters that are never quite 100% likeable or perfect but still somehow worm their way into your heart. Or at least, they did with mine. I hated as much as admired Anaxantis's mother, for whom there is no length she will not cross to aid him. She is probably one of the best characters yet. And Jerruth d*mn near broke my [expletive]ing heart."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"It is virtually impossible not to be swept away and become emotionally invested by the story and its characters. It still amazes me how engrossed I became by family drama, political intrigue and military strategy. How I would end up crying tears of laughter, rage and sadness a couple of times even within the same chapter."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"The romance itself between Anaxantis and Ehandar (though I hesitate greatly to even call it romance) is as hopelessly hopeful as ever, and I continue to root for them with all of my shredded heart. Thankfully, I didn't have as much trouble reading this book as the first, and it was easy for me to engage myself in fantastic writing, complex plot and just a great book in a whole."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"Again, the characterization is intense and well done and the plot continues where we left off in Book #1. "

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"The politicking and scheming is totally engrossing and totally believable. I'm just so impressed with how the author juggles this many main and secondary characters. They all have their place and function and they all work beautifully in their context."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
It is an intricate tale that revolves around Anaxantis, the fourth son of the reigning King, and the only son of the current Queen. It is a story that is told in both first and third person POV, as well as from multiple characters. Everything says that this shouldn't work, yet it does, and surprisingly well.
(...)
Here in the second book, we start to see more of the King's plans, and what truly lies beneath them, while Anaxantis fights to prove his father wrong, as well as for his country's survival. He continues to grow in strength, but his internal battles also grow, and at times, he struggles with the burden of it all, as well as the cost of his decisions.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
The whole series is a real page turner.

The whole series is a real page turner. Some gay content but even ignoring this the story line is worth reading.

This review on Amazon UK.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
Completely loving this series!!!

"So in my review for book 1, I gushed over the plot, how intricate, solid and engrossing it was.
(...)
The politicking and scheming is totally engrossing and totally believable. I'm just so impressed with how the author juggles this many main and secondary characters. They all have their place and function and they all work beautifully in their context.
Really, so impressed with this series. This is a must read."

More of this review on Amazon.

[/quote]

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"The romance itself between Anaxantis and Ehandar (though I hesitate greatly to even call it romance) is as hopelessly hopeful as ever, and I continue to root for them with all of my shredded heart. Thankfully, I didn't have as much trouble reading this book as the first, and it was easy for me to engage myself in fantastic writing, complex plot and just a great book in a whole."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"Well written and the plot is constantly evolving. Looking forward to the next book now. I would highly recommend these books by Andrew Ashling."

More of this review on Amazon UK.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"The supporting characters are fully fleshed out, and while some provide some much-needed comic relief (a couple of the Prince's pages in particular), many are almost as central to the story as Anaxantis, resulting in a rich tapestry of personalities, and highly complicated plot. If you like traditional fantasy, and can handle some graphic violence, then this is a story well worth considering."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"Again, the characterization is intense and well done and the plot continues where we left off in Book #1. "

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"One of the true advantages about a series is that I, as the reader, get to learn and understand so much more about the characters because of their extended development. In this complex story of Royalty, family, impending war, and friendship, there are ample opportunities. Strongly in the readers favor, in my opinion, is that Andrew is very good at character development and proves in this story that he can envision a wide array of personalities."

More of this review on Goodreads

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"The second installment of this stunning series brings with it a story as compelling and fast paced as the first. A usual, the political intrigue and high fantasy-esque atmosphere is fascinating and frankly, makes the book near impossible to put down. It's difficult to describe and talk about a book such as this. Though it graces my 'gritty' shelf, there are a many chapters of relieving humor that helped me get through this book when times got tough.

Also, Mr. Ashling is astounding adept at making tangible and very realistic characters that are never quite 100% likeable or perfect but still somehow worm their way into your heart. Or at least, they did with mine. I hated as much as admired Anaxantis's mother, for whom there is no length she will not cross to aid him. She is probably one of the best characters yet. And Jerruth d*mn near broke my [expletive]ing heart."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"Wow, I thought the first book was good for the layers to the story, this one had so many characters and storylines brought in and amazingly, I did not find that it cluttered or derailed the main story, it really did add to it because you develop an attachment to each of these characters - which could be detrimental because in books like this, that means you could lose that character because they have become important to you. My hope is that the character and development of the multiple stories is simply laying the groundwork for a continuation of the series, or reasons why when loyalty is tested, you'll understand why each character makes their choices."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"Well written and the plot is constantly evolving. Looking forward to the next book now. I would highly recommend these books by Andrew Ashling."

More of this review on Amazon UK.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"This, the second book of the Invisible Chains trilogy, is a dark traditional fantasy novel that has an M/M romance theme underlying it. There is violence, rape, incest (hinted at in this book, but was very much in evidence in the first book), political intrigue, family betrayals and backstabbing royals, all set amidst a kingdom at war with neighboring nations."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"It is virtually impossible not to be swept away and become emotionally invested by the story and its characters. It still amazes me how engrossed I became by family drama, political intrigue and military strategy. How I would end up crying tears of laughter, rage and sadness a couple of times even within the same chapter."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
"I found myself skipping pages when the adorable (?) pages appeared because they pulled me out of the otherwise compelling story of love, hatred, betrayal, friendship, political schemes and war. I didn't like it when the author used modern languages like 'hey', 'my ass', etc., when he tried to provide some light relief to this intense story. However, those who love the film 'A Knight's Tale' might actually like the bits I found awkward. And there were so many aspects of the author's writing I couldn't help but appreciate that it didn't particularly matter if I had to skip some parts of the book. The important thing was I had to buy the book three straight away."

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion

If you want to receive an email when I publish a new book, please subscribe to my

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »
"This series has given me so many sleepless nights. I could not put it down. Please see my reviews for books 1 and 3. I finished the series and I really want to go see Randamor myself and hear all his tales!"

This review on Amazon.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
"I'm definitely hooked :)

I don't think I'm ready to write off Anaxantis and I'm certainly not ready to sympathize with his father. Sure, members of a royal family must exist in a different world especially when the pattern set before them has been nothing but treachery and back stabbing. Bonds of Fear is a continuation of the saga where Anaxantis faces a grave attempt on his governorship in the north as well as on his life. This book significantly backs away from Anaxantis's viewpoint and shows his development and actions mostly through other characters. Even though the relationship between him and his brother is not central to this book, the question still remains."

More of this review on Amazon.

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
"So what happens in this second installment? Basically, everyone is even more bad ass and bloodthirsty and awesome. And the most amazing thing is that all this bad*ssery and bloodthirstiness ring true, because we're in a pseudo-medieval world where if you don't shed blood, your blood is going to be shed. At this point, killing people seems like a perfectly logical course of action."