Kindle Forum banner

Which books do you want for the next Book Klubs (besides Outlander and Dead Until Dark, already chos

Book Klubs (Poll)

49K views 127 replies 56 participants last post by  dogrenter 
#1 ·
These books have all been suggested as future book club books.  Which books would you like MOST to be part of our next book clubs?  Choose two.  You can change and choosing only two doesn't mean the others won't get picked.  I'm trying to get a feel for things.  I also don't want to add too many book clubs at once as several of our members want to do all of them, LOL!

Got a book you want to add?  Post it below and I'll add it to the survey.

;D

Betsy

#4 ·
marianner said:
What about having a free book club? Maybe start with the new Tor freebie, The Buried Pyramid? It sounds like it's reasonably good.
I think that's a great idea, providing we can get questions set up to guide us. If you don't know of a source (I haven't looked at my copy, are there questions at the end?) I can contact the author or Tor.com

Betsy

#6 ·
Yay there's a book club on these boards? Duh, that just makes sense!
There are no book clubs where I'm at, well there's one but I'm not interested in any of the books they read.
Definitely count me in. I voted for the Secret Life of Bees 'cause I've wanted to read it for awhile.

#7 ·
Yes, we have Outlander and Dead Until Dark starting for sure in January...

Trying to figure out what else to have.  I read the Secret Lives of Bees and loved it and would love to read it again in a Book Klub!

Betsy

#8 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Yes, we have Outlander and Dead Until Dark starting for sure in January...

Trying to figure out what else to have. I read the Secret Lives of Bees and loved it and would love to read it again in a Book Klub!

Betsy
I haven't heard of Outlander or Dead Until Dark, but now they may be some of the first books I get on my Kindle so I can participate. Is there a specific genre or any qualifications for books for this book club?

#9 ·
Micdiddy said:
I haven't heard of Outlander or Dead Until Dark, but now they may be some of the first books I get on my Kindle so I can participate. Is there a specific genre or any qualifications for books for this book club?
Nope. Although as we get more requests for books, we may have separate book clubs by genre. Right now we're going to have the two going concurrently, albeit starting two weeks apart.

First is Outlander, beginning Monday, January 5th. This is romantic/historical fiction with a bit of time travel thrown in, as I'm told.
Second is Dead Until Dark, beginning Wednesday, January 21st. This is vampire lit, the first book in the Southern Vampire series (Sookie Stackhouse) upon which the HBO series TrueBlood was based. If we're successful, we may do the whole series.

I probably won't start any others until Feb. We have quite a few members who want to do all of them, LOL! But I can definitely see different genre Book Clubs as we grow.

See also the Guidelines in the separate Book Club thread.

Betsy

#10 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Nope. Although as we get more requests for books, we may have separate book clubs by genre. Right now we're going to have the two going concurrently, albeit starting two weeks apart.

First is Outlander, beginning Monday, January 5th. This is romantic/historical fiction with a bit of time travel thrown in, as I'm told.
Second is Dead Until Dark, beginning Wednesday, January 21st. This is vampire lit, the first book in the Southern Vampire series (Sookie Stackhouse) upon which the HBO series TrueBlood was based. If we're successful, we may do the whole series.

I probably won't start any others until Feb. We have quite a few members who want to do all of them, LOL! But I can definitely see different genre Book Clubs as we grow.

See also the Guidelines in the separate Book Club thread.

Betsy
Awesome, I've never read a Vamp lit, but should start somewhere. Also, I'm not usually one for Romance but I do like historical fictions.
I don't exactly know what genre my favorite books are...like contemporary literature I guess.

#12 ·
The one we want is just called "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon.  No the.

See new stickie post entitled "Book Klub Books" for the direct link!

Betsy

#14 ·
Marci, way to go! And great book suggestions. I'm going to add the two you can personally vouch for to the poll choices and take out a couple that aren't getting many votes and reserve them and your others for future voting. Unless we get more people asking for those, too!

Now, next challenge: if you put the book title in where it says "Enter Link Text", instead of the long link you see, you'll get just clickable book title when you publish your post, like this:

Three Cups of Tee

Try it!

Final challenge: you can copy the image location (see Verena's videos for how to do this), and put it in the appropriate box, then click the Make Link button and copy the text in the 2nd selection to show an image.

Betsy

#16 ·
Actually, you can change your vote, or you are supposed to be able to, I changed mine!  Do you see a "Remove Vote" option to the right?  And your vote should be in bold.  If you click on "Remove Vote" you should be returned to the voting screen.

I've rewritten the question to make this more clear.  Thanks, Gertie!

Betsy

#17 ·
I have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Loving Frank, Water For Elephants, and Secret of Life of Bees previously without the benefit of a book club.  It would be so great to read them again and actually discuss them with others.  It's going to be fun to read new books as well and be able to discuss them.  Can't wait till January.

#18 ·
Not sure if anyone else has already mentioned this, but my "other" pick is either Salvation in Death by J.D. Robb OR Suite 606 by J.D. Robb, Mary Blayney, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McComas.

BTW, no love for Marley & Me? :( Whether you're a dog lover or not (I've never owned one), it's a GREAT book. At least try a sample!

#19 ·
If we're going to do an In Death book, do we want to start with the first In Death book, Naked in Death, as the characters' evolution crosses the books in the series in such a dramatic way?  I think the Dead Until Dark Book Club is going to evolve into the Southern Vampire Series Book Club.  The In Death series could work the same way.

I'm not familitar with Suite 606--sounds like an anthology?

As for Marley & Me, there could be love for it, but some of the others may be higher on members' must read lists.  I only allowed 3 votes, you know!

Note that I added The Book Thief, too.

Betsy

#21 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
If we're going to do an In Death book, do we want to start with the first In Death book, Naked in Death, as the characters' evolution crosses the books in the series in such a dramatic way? I think the Dead Until Dark Book Club is going to evolve into the Southern Vampire Series Book Club. The In Death series could work the same way.

I'm not familitar with Suite 606--sounds like an anthology?

As for Marley & Me, there could be love for it, but some of the others may be higher on members' must read lists. I only allowed 3 votes, you know!

Note that I added The Book Thief, too.

Betsy
Good point about the In Death series. I agree with you.

Suite 606 is indeed an anthology. It consists of one shorter In Death story and three other stories in the horror/sci-fi/romance genre. It's a great read. I really like the other authors in the set and plan to look them up and see what else they've done outside of a couple of J.D. Robb anthologies.

EDIT: I changed my third vote from "other" to "The Buried Pyramid." I'll admit that I picked it partially because it was free (I've been buying too many books lately), but it does actually sound good too.

#23 ·
bkworm8it said:
My 'other' book suggestion is A Game Of Thrones by George RR Martin.

Its a good epic Fantasy Series.

theresaM
Theresa, is that the first in the series? There seems to be general agreement that if we do a book in a series, we're going to start at the beginning.

Betsy

#25 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Marci, way to go! And great book suggestions. I'm going to add the two you can personally vouch for to the poll choices and take out a couple that aren't getting many votes and reserve them and your others for future voting. Unless we get more people asking for those, too!

Now, next challenge: if you put the book title in where it says "Enter Link Text", instead of the long link you see, you'll get just clickable book title when you publish your post, like this:

Three Cups of Tee

Try it!

Final challenge: you can copy the image location (see Verena's videos for how to do this), and put it in the appropriate box, then click the Make Link button and copy the text in the 2nd selection to show an image.

Betsy
%^%$#@ DANG!

Everything looked so good in my preview that I thought I was set to go. More learning to go! He, he, he

Thanks for adding my recommendations. I won't vote for mine, I promise ;D

Marci

#26 ·
No problem--you had clickable links, that worked well, thought it was what you were trying to do.  I'll check on the post and see what it looks like "behind the scenes."

And no problem if you want to vote on your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.