Kadaxis LLC

Author Topic: The Food Photo Album  (Read 65339 times)  

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
    • The Only Blog for an Extraterrestrial Woman (?)
The Food Photo Album
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »

I've always believed you CAN have your food and eat it too. Surely, I'm not the only one nutty enough to take pictures of food before it's eaten. Surely some other wacky folks here will have their own shots.

Here's what I'm talking about: a cranberry/apple pie with vanilla ice cream, and a bottle of cherry lambic, a champagne-like dessert beer. Yummy!

Al Past | Ana Darcy's Blog

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
Re: The Food Photo Album
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »

Hmmm. Maybe I really am the only wacky food-photographer here. One other Boarder contacted me by pm to say she was going to take a picture or two in the future. That's cool. For the time being, then, maybe I'm doing this just for myself.

OK, then. Here's Father's Day food, or as my family calls it, Fathead's Day. It's self-explanatory, except for the pie, which is key lime, with a good dose of mango blended in. Thanks, Daughter #2!

I say again: you CAN have your food and eat it too!

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »
Keep posting Brassman - I love 'em
Dona
on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »
Here are pictures of the buffet table at Megan's wedding. My best friend fixed the food, and everything was made from scratch except for the shrimp cocktail sauce, rolls, crackers, and relishes.  ;)  Two of the chafing dishes held pulled pork and the other two contained baked beans. Of course, we had lots of food stashed away for refilling the serving dishes. The food was spectacular!  I'm also including a picture of Megan's wedding cake.

There ya go, BrassMan. Now your photos aren't so lonely. I'll be sharing some of mine (at least the peach pies, I hope) in a couple of days.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »

What a gorgeous wedding feast! Sorry I missed it!

On the theme of tables of food, here's a family Christmas dinner layout. A number of folks contributed. The pies and cookies came later.

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »
Looks delicious! I haven't taken any photos of Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, or any other big holiday food spreads for awhile since I usually make most of the food now that my mother, mother-in-law, and sister are gone. Megan and her sister bring some food, too, but I've been too busy to photograph it all. Will have to change my ways if this thread lasts long enough! I guarantee you I'll have some 4th of July food photos, though.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »
Good deal. Can't wait to see them!

After spending all that time cooking and making the food look scrumptious, why let it get away when it's so easy to shoot a picture? Maybe we'll encourage some other KBoarders to shoot some. After a little practice, I'm not even embarrassed to snap the food in a restaurant. Some day I'll post some.

Cheers!

Offline Addie

• Texas
  • Hook 'em! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
Yum! This thread is making me hungry.
By the way, how do I make pictures smaller on here? These are way too big, and I did a search but couldn't find anything. Thanks!
Wait! I figured it out. Answered my own dumb question. :)

This is a picture of a rice pot thing. I have no idea what the actual name is or if there is one in English. I was on vacation in South Korea and thought this was so neat I had to take a picture. The rice is inside. You take it out of the pot, put it in another bowl, leave the burned rice in the pot, add water, close it and then at the end of the meal open it back up and it's like rice soup.

This is a picture of dessert or at least dessert for this restaurant. It's noodles in a cold, somewhat sweet broth. I prefer chocolate cake, but this was pretty good, too.

This is the best duck I have ever tasted. You cook it at you table and you can dip it in the sauces and then wrap it in lettuce.

Here's the dog we picked up to eat.

I'm just kidding! I swear! I just always get the question, "Don't Koreans eat dog?" I couldn't help myself. ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:25:07 PM by AddieLove »
"No man ever steps into the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »
Here's the dog we picked up to eat.

That's a dog??   It looks like a baby seal after an encounter with a blow dryer.
Vivete con gioia e semplicit
State buoni se potete
Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline koolmnbv

• San Antonio,Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 03:09:03 AM »
this food looks so good!!! It has made me very hungry  :)

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 07:09:58 AM »

I was going to ask if surely the dog was an aperitif.  ;) That's a JOKE, OK?

We had a friend, a math prof colleague, who was from China. Regrettably, he left to become an actuary, for serious dough. He cooked up a big dinner at our place several times, using things we just had to trust him on. For example:

He claimed not to be exactly a marvelous cook, but he could have fooled us. It was the WAY he planned a menu that I found interesting. He strove for balance: something cold with something hot, something sweet with something sour, smooth and rough, hot and cold, colorful and plain, on and on. (I don't know if he ever went for umami and non-umami.) The results were always surprising and frequently excellent. Here's a beef dish, pot stickers, a pork dish, and seaweed soup:

And here he is going crazy. (If anyone prefers these pictures smaller, let me know. I think the size helps one "taste" them!)

Offline Addie

• Texas
  • Hook 'em! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
That's a dog??   It looks like a baby seal after an encounter with a blow dryer.

LOL
"No man ever steps into the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 08:46:44 AM »
I am almost sorry I have my appetite back!  Oh well, got my rice/steamer/cooker/vaporidizer yesterday with no instructions in the box, so going to go play with that while watching the Tour!

Looks so yummmmmmmmy y'all - ummmmm
Dona

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »
I am almost sorry I have my appetite back!  Oh well, got my rice/steamer/cooker/vaporidizer yesterday with no instructions in the box, so going to go play with that while watching the Tour!

Looks so yummmmmmmmy y'all - ummmmm

What kind of rice/steamer/cooker etc. did you get? Have you looked online for the manual/user's guide?

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »

Now I'm really gonna hurt ya. Time for TexMex! It's not all that weird to snap pictures in a restaurant, not when you get souvenirs like this. Anju, I bet you could get some boffo food pics in restaurants. It doesn't even have to be your food (but it's easier if it's of someone at your table).

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 11:51:43 AM »
ok you are on - the next time we go to Mario's, my most favorite "familiar" Mexican restaurant - you'll see a good plate, (I hope I can get it here LOL)
Dona

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
I love Tex/Mex and authentic Mexican food, so those photos are making me hungry!  My peach pies are getting close to going in the oven, and will try to remember to photograph them before we leave tonight. Spinach dip's finished, eggs are hard-cooked and ready to turn into deviled eggs, crab dip ingredients are gathered together, and the fruit for the fruit salad is soon to be washed. Hope I can find an available flat surface so that I can photograph it. (If I think of it, I'll take my camera to my best friend's home. She is a wonderful cook, and the spread will be gorgeous. She's the woman who did the buffet (photos earlier in this thread) at Megan's wedding.)

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
OK. These photos didn't come out great as I was in a hurry and grabbed my iPhone. The pies really do look better than this. (They look more alike and not overly browned, but just right.)

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »

Excellent! I can just smell those pies! Yee-haa!

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »
I can have peach pies, just not the crust - and fruit salad YEE HAAA
Dona

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
  • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
That's a dog??   It looks like a baby seal after an encounter with a blow dryer.
Haaaaay! That is what my Hunny Biskit used to look like when she was a baby... she is golden blonde on her top coat now though. She is a cutie! ;)
The Apprentice Diaries
Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »
Haaaaay! That is what my Hunny Biskit used to look like when she was a baby... she is golden blonde on her top coat now though. She is a cutie! ;)

Pictures please!  (though... perhaps not in THIS thread...  ;D)
Vivete con gioia e semplicit
State buoni se potete
Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline Addie

• Texas
  • Hook 'em! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »

Aww. I saw this cute girl at a pet store in Korea, and I just had to take a picture. She was the cutest in the store.
-Heraclitus

Offline Shizu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 03:55:35 AM »
Wow this thread looks so good. I'm gonna find some picture of food. lol.

Offline Scheherazade

• Hampton, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »
I keep reading people posting places saying "I saw someone taking pictures of their food in a restaurant the other night.  They should get a life!"  But I find that so funny, because a lot of people actually do this like other people might take pictures of architecture or the like.  I wish my History professor from last semester (and probably this semester coming up if she'd leave Greece and answer my emails!) was on this board.  She travels all the time and her husband keeps a log of just about everything they eat in pictures.  She would give slide presentations in class and invariably start each one with a half dozen shots of food from all over the world.  It was pretty interesting.  So some folks say crazy, I say keep taking those pictures!
"A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."  - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!