Author Topic: The Food Photo Album  (Read 63720 times)  

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
Re: The Food Photo Album
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 09:04:25 AM »
BrassMan, your daughter #2 is a woman after my own heart, as I, too, occasionally make homemade mozzarella. I wish I'd taken it up when the dairy a mile north of us was still in operation. As it is, I have to buy my milk at the store, so there's no cream on the top. I've made mozzarella with whole, 2%, 1%, and skim milks, and all have been delicious. (Of course, the more fat, the better.) Thanks for sharing the pics of your daughter. Now I don't feel quite so alone.  ;) (Where does she get her supplies? I buy mine from www.fleeners.com, but am curious about other places that sell the cheese-making necessities. I'm going to look into making cheeses that have to be weighted, as that seems like a challenge.)

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
    • The Only Blog for an Extraterrestrial Woman (?)
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
BrassMan, your daughter #2 is a woman after my own heart, as I, too, occasionally make homemade mozzarella. I wish I'd taken it up when the dairy a mile north of us was still in operation. As it is, I have to buy my milk at the store, so there's no cream on the top. I've made mozzarella with whole, 2%, 1%, and skim milks, and all have been delicious. (Of course, the more fat, the better.) Thanks for sharing the pics of your daughter. Now I don't feel quite so alone.  ;) (Where does she get her supplies? I buy mine from www.fleeners.com, but am curious about other places that sell the cheese-making necessities. I'm going to look into making cheeses that have to be weighted, as that seems like a challenge.)

If she lived near, I'd probably weigh 30 more pounds than I do. She's done a good bit of time in Italy, and she tells me that you're really supposed to use buffalo milk (which I think is technically bison's milk). It's EASY to make mozarella. All you need is some weird enzyme (I think) and citric acid (I think). We got the enzyme from a local person who has goats and makes goat cheese. Her friend, in the picture, makes cheddar, cream cheese, cottage cheese, and parmesan. I sent her that site of yours (which seems to be under construction at the moment). Thanks for that!

Al Past | Ana Darcy's Blog

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2009, 09:45:02 AM »
Al - as far as the sanitary - you cook the mocahete in such a hot oven absolutely NOTHING can live in it!  I would not try to make one myself because I'd be afraid I would not get it hot enough.

The cheeses look good, we have lots of goats around here, but have not seen any goat cheese in any of the stores.

Mexican tomatoes are the best, all vine ripened, just like you grow at home.  Unfortunately because of the acidity I can no longer have tomatoes, but my DH can and he let's me know how good they are.

Dona
on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
If she lived near, I'd probably weigh 30 more pounds than I do. She's done a good bit of time in Italy, and she tells me that you're really supposed to use buffalo milk (which I think is technically bison's milk). It's EASY to make mozarella. All you need is some weird enzyme (I think) and citric acid (I think). We got the enzyme from a local person who has goats and makes goat cheese. Her friend, in the picture, makes cheddar, cream cheese, cottage cheese, and parmesan. I sent her that site of yours (which seems to be under construction at the moment). Thanks for that!

I use calcium citrate, liquid rennet (although I'm sure rennet tablet dissolved in distilled water would be fine), and powdered lipase.  I just stumbled upon a website that has kits for making Camembert, Brie, and Blue. The other supplies are all available through there, too. It's www.thecheesemaker.com.  I'll have to do some serious looking around that site. 

I don't know were one would find fresh buffalo milk here in the States, with the exception of some parts of the nortwest U.S. I'll probably have to stick with cow's milk, but it works well.

Thanks again for sharing the photos and information about your daughter. I get the weirdest looks from people if someone tells them that I make my own mozzarella and crackers. I just love to cook, and making cheese is like a really entertaining science experiment (as can be other forms of cooking).

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 09:51:42 AM »
Al - as far as the sanitary - you cook the mocahete in such a hot oven absolutely NOTHING can live in it!  I would not try to make one myself because I'd be afraid I would not get it hot enough.

The cheeses look good, we have lots of goats around here, but have not seen any goat cheese in any of the stores.

Mexican tomatoes are the best, all vine ripened, just like you grow at home.  Unfortunately because of the acidity I can no longer have tomatoes, but my DH can and he let's me know how good they are.

I have a molcahete, but I've only used it to grind up chili pequines. If I were to cook something in it, that would probably ruin it for grinding...?

Bummer about no tomatoes! I'm that way with grapefruit, also a bummer because we have a tree. Hey! Wanna see baby grapefruit?

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 09:54:59 AM »
I use calcium citrate, liquid rennet (although I'm sure rennet tablet dissolved in distilled water would be fine), and powdered lipase.  I just stumbled upon a website that has kits for making Camembert, Brie, and Blue. The other supplies are all available through there, too. It's www.thecheesemaker.com.  I'll have to do some serious looking around that site. 

I don't know were one would find fresh buffalo milk here in the States, with the exception of some parts of the nortwest U.S. I'll probably have to stick with cow's milk, but it works well.

Thanks again for sharing the photos and information about your daughter. I get the weirdest looks from people if someone tells them that I make my own mozzarella and crackers. I just love to cook, and making cheese is like a really entertaining science experiment (as can be other forms of cooking).

Rennet. That was the stuff, right. I hate to ask, but our cheesemaker friend is also a big baker. How do you make crackers? PM me if you like.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 01:06:16 PM »
We have a seedless lime in front to the Mexicans it is lemon) and an orange tree that is prolific twice a year, can't have any of those either!  Bummer!

I do NOT want to start making cheese - I'm just now learning how to cook in my rice cooker/steamer, don't need another thing to take away from my reading right now!  ;D
Dona

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
We have a seedless lime in front to the Mexicans it is lemon) and an orange tree that is prolific twice a year, can't have any of those either!  Bummer!

I do NOT want to start making cheese - I'm just now learning how to cook in my rice cooker/steamer, don't need another thing to take away from my reading right now!  ;D

But it only takes 30 minutes!   ;)

Offline angelad

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
I love seeing pictures of home grown stuff.  Always bring me a smile

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »
We haven't had any baking pictures, I don't think. We don't do a lot of baking, I'm sorry to say, but when we do, I usually take a photo.

Here's some of Daughter #2's foccacia bread:

Here are some sopaipillas, a New Mexican (and Mexican) dessert item, not unlike beignets. You bite a corner off one and pour in a little honey. Yum!

And here is a rosca de reyes, a king's ring, customary on three kings day, after Christmas. Somewhere in it is a little baby Jesus, and whoever gets it, uh, is blessed? Throws a party? I can't remember. It's a sweet bread, with fruitcake-like candied fruit, raisins, and such in it.

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »
Those look great, BrassMan.

I told you the wrong website for cheesemaking supplies that I use, so thought I'd let you know. It's www.leeners.com.  I've since found websites with directions for making ricotta (using leftover whey from mozzarella process), feta, and mascarpone. I Googled those cheeses, and found directions that look very easy and interesting. Thought I'd pass that along. I'm especially interested in the mascarpone, as it's $5 for a small container, yet it only takes a pint of whipping cream to make it.

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2009, 12:45:13 PM »
Those look great, BrassMan.

I told you the wrong website for cheesemaking supplies that I use, so thought I'd let you know. It's www.leeners.com.  I've since found websites with directions for making ricotta (using leftover whey from mozzarella process), feta, and mascarpone. I Googled those cheeses, and found directions that look very easy and interesting. Thought I'd pass that along. I'm especially interested in the mascarpone, as it's $5 for a small container, yet it only takes a pint of whipping cream to make it.

That looks like a great site. I know two cheese makers, a liqueuer maker, several bakers, and a home brewer. I'll pass that to them.

Thanks!

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2009, 02:32:58 PM »
If you find the baby - you have a party, sometimes it is next year and other times later but I don't remember when for sure.

We went to a lunch in downtown Guadalajara yesterday, got lost several times (that's part of the adventure) but the place was in an old monastery.  I took several pictures to post, will do that in a bit.  I have to download the pictures to my mac and then to photobucket, takes time.
Dona

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »
If you find the baby - you have a party, sometimes it is next year and other times later but I don't remember when for sure.

We went to a lunch in downtown Guadalajara yesterday, got lost several times (that's part of the adventure) but the place was in an old monastery.  I took several pictures to post, will do that in a bit.  I have to download the pictures to my mac and then to photobucket, takes time.

Can't wait to see your pictures, Dona. I loved Guadalajara. That's the first place that I ever ate queso fundido in a restaurant. It was wonderful. I'm not sure why it tasted so good to me, but I love cheese, and everything at the restaurant was very fresh and delicious. Wish I could remember the name of it. The one restaurant in Guadalajara that I do remember was El Tapatio. It was situated high above the city, and we had a fantastic panoramic view. Later in the evening, The Platters sang. We were sitting right beside the stage, and at the intermission, one of the singers found out we were from Missouri, and you'd have thought that we grew up next door to each other. He was from St. Louis, and we lived (still do) in the northwest corner, but he was sure glad to meet some people from "home."

Offline ladyknight33

• Connecticut
  • I bleed orange white GO LADY VOLS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
seafood paella in Hong Kong    sliced beef with roasted potatoes and veggies Hong Kong    African Chicken in Hong Kong Stanley Market  mussels and clams Hong Kong Stanley Market
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:41:56 PM by ladyknight33 »

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
La Fonda de San Miguel, an old monestary in Guadalajara, now a rather nice restaurant, some of the restaurants here are rather colorful in their tables, chairs, linens, etc.  There are rooms all around the sides that are galleries and stores where you could buy clothing and "stuff".  It was a medium priced restaurant and the food and service was good.

courtyard , sorry I don't know how to rotate the pictures, yet

another view of the courtyard

entrance to the banos, the "white" thing in the middle is a melted candle, they are all over the restaurant, there was a picture of a nun for the female side and a picture of a monk for the males

salmon with wine/strawberry sauce

filet mignon, their cuts are different here in Mexico, flatter and wide, probably the same size, this has a mushroom sauce

Dona

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »
Upscale! I grew up along the border, and I remember the average Mexican steak as about the size and thickness of a National Geographic magazine, and about as tender. But they were delicious, as well as one dollar. I bet these were not. Lovely!

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2009, 01:42:44 PM »
Four of us, with 2 teas, 2 cokes, 4 entrees and tip was 600 pesos, at 13 pesos to the dollar, was about $46, not too bad, $12+ each.
Dona

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »
No indeed, not bad at all. Makes me hungry! How about some Italian eats? Here's some tagliolini picanti freddi (sp?), made with sun-dried tomatoes and dried peppers, served room temperature. I could use a little of this right now.

And for a cooler day, here's an Italian sausage soup. Right now, I'd settle for a cooler day and no soup.

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
  • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2009, 07:12:16 PM »
We retired here for several reasons, weather, (we have no a/c or heating per se) (it does get warm in May tho), beautiful blue skies all day just about every day, and cost of living is much much much less than Dallas, hill country is too expensive and that is the only other place I'd go.  We don't even have a car, take busses or walk wherever we need to, in this area.  No hussle bussle, calm and tranquil life.  We have been here just short of 10 years and absolutely love it.
Well, Dona, I just read your reply... sorry, I am a little behind... I had heard that Mexico was very a good place to retire... now I "know" someone who did it! ;D I am glad you are happy. ;)
The Apprentice Diaries
Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2009, 06:53:46 AM »
Speaking of food....

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
Dear Occupant of Rubber Room 960 -

That looks sooooo wonderful!  Unfortunately I am banned from beer (the barley and bubbles) -oh well looks good and I'll dredge my memories of a nice beer up.
Dona

Offline kellyhuddleston

• Corfu, Greece
    • View Profile
    • Alone in the Company of Others: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2009, 07:55:30 AM »
This is by far the coolest, tastiest thread ever! Thanks to every one who posted food pics. Now every time I feel peckish, I'll come here. Hopefully I don't eat the computer.
Contemplating roller coasters, string theory, content management systems and the current vampire book craze. I also write novels. My latest book, Alone in the Company of Others: A Novel, is available as an Amazon Kindle Edition.

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
    • www.maureenamiller.com
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2009, 04:01:52 AM »
Speaking of food....

Miss Merry and Mr. Carroll are going to have a field day with me coming out of my shell and 'crossing over' to the other side.  But kind sir, you have posted a picture of Allagash!  I simply had to investigate.  Allagash is indeed the topic of debate on my blog.    Well, I'm not sure it's a debate.  There was a five second debate about whether it should be served warm or cold, to which Mr. Brendan responded with a hearty, "Cold!!!"

Offline rho

• ny
  • aka rho1640 on Word with Friends member 1975
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2009, 06:55:32 AM »
this was an August Dinner a year or so ago - but the only picture I have of food so far :D

hope this works since for some reason I can preview today ...ok let me try again - maybe it is the flickr link that is messing me up - I'll use the other one - that was it - the link they tell you to use didn't work for me but the second image link does ...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:58:35 AM by rho »
rho

I've gotten over $125 in Amazon Gift Cards using this as my search engine