KB Featured
Grey Daze: A Lance Underphal Mystery
by Michael Allan Scott

Kindle Edition published 2015-03-29
Bestseller ranking: 167157

Product Description
An IAN Book of the Year Finalist and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the third book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Based on real events, this is one of those dark, disturbing novels that keeps you turning pages.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

It's a mystery- Something is wrong. As Lance Underphal pads softly across the cold flagstone, he hears her weeping. She is on her knees, hunched over in the middle of the room, her back to him, facing the dark fireplace. Something is very wrong. Lance wants to rush to her, but can't. In a hoarse whisper, he says, "Callie?" She lets out a mournful wail from deep within as she turns, their infant son in her arms, blue and still. He reels from the blow. How can this be? They don't have a son.

Author Topic: Smart chick lit recommendations  (Read 1868 times)  

Offline genetickelly

• View Profile
Smart chick lit recommendations
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
I read It's Not A Wonderful Life I thought it was great because it was smart chick lit, as opposed to the airy-fairy stuff that is pretty superficial. Does anyone have any recommendations for romantic comedies like this one? Books that remind you of Seinfeld, Sex and the City or The Office? The kind of books that make you go, "hey they should turn this into a tv show or movie?"
Any recommendations for smart chick lit?
I realize the shows I mentioned are all very different...
This is my recommendation:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:00:03 AM by genetickelly »

Offline genetickelly

• View Profile
Re: Smart chick lit recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »
also, a friend of mine recommended Pink Slipper - A Fun, Flirty Novel by Gina Robinson. I (still) haven't read it yet, but it sounds good and there are lots of rave reviews on amazon.

By the way, the last time I checked both of them are a dollar each
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:02:32 AM by genetickelly »

Offline defygravity213

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
Seinfeld? Gross. That's the worst show in the history of tv.

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:29:23 AM »
Seinfeld? Gross. That's the worst show in the history of tv.

Apparently you don't remember My Mother the Car. Or Me and the Chimp.  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:34:37 AM by JimC1946 »

Offline Nancy Beck

• NJ
  • Rest, my sweet Sammy (2000-12)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »
How about Better Off Without Him?

It's about a Jersey woman who is a mother and a romance novelist...and her husband informs her one day that he wants a divorce from her because he wants to marry a French woman. That probably doesn't make it sound all that interesting, but as I'm a Jersey girl and it takes place not only down the shore (if you live in NJ, you know what I mean) but in Westfield - used to work in that pretty town a while ago) - it is a hilarious story.

And the protag is 40 years old! How many chick lit stories have that "old" of a protag? It's so good to see someone older who's not obsessed with shoes or fashion (but is a tad obsessed about sex and how her daughters will take the not-so-good news). Very enjoyable.  :)

All also available at Smashwords.

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
    • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
I recently read my first Sophia Kinsella novel and I just loved it! It was so good and funny. I devoured it. It definitely won't be my last book by her.

It is a little pricey but it is a new release. She has some older ones that are more reasonable which I am sure are just as great as this one was.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline Brenda Sorrels

• Dallas, Texas and Wilton, Ct
  • Author, Brenda Sorrels
    • View Profile
    • Author, Brenda Sorrels
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
This looks interesting - I'm going to check it out.  I also, love good Chick Lit!  Thanks!

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
    • View Profile
    • Suthard, Party of Five
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
If you enjoy mysteries at all, I love the Sophie Green stories by Kate Johnson. Not too cerebral, but really fun and lighthearted.
-- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Tan Staafl

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
It might be "old hat", but anything from the Stephane Plum series by Janet Evonovich.  They are ICPID books if you like mysterious humor.  Or do I mean humorous mystery?  Either way, top it off with a bit of romantice tension, and you've got Stephanie Plum.  Even after more than 20 books in the series each one is as fresh as the first, "One for the Money".

Offline genetickelly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the recommends! I'm definitely going to check them out.

Offline Jo Kasunic

• Canada
  • Book Cover Designer
    • View Profile
    • Morning Rain Publishing
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
I read It's Not A Wonderful Life I thought it was great because it was smart chick lit, as opposed to the airy-fairy stuff that is pretty superficial. Does anyone have any recommendations for romantic comedies like this one? Books that remind you of Seinfeld, Sex and the City or The Office? The kind of books that make you go, "hey they should turn this into a tv show or movie?"
Any recommendations for smart chick lit?
I realize the shows I mentioned are all very different...
This is my recommendation:

I have grabbed a sample of this one! Thanks for the recommendation! I enjoy reading a "smart" chick lit book.
Have a clicky - clicky - reader please?

Morning Rain Publishing ~ Author Services by a Canadian Company ~ editing ~ cover design ~ book formatting
http://morningrainpublishing.com/services-offered-by-morning-rain-publishing/

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
I love british author Jill Mansell.  Some of her books are often marked down to 1.99.  That's how I discovered her--and she was good enough for me to buy all her regular priced books!

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
I'm very fond of British author Julie Cohen. Girl from Mars (chick lit set in the geek milieu with a comic artist heroine) and One Night Stand are my favourites, but they're all good.

If you like a bit of fantasy with your chick lit, try Shanna Swendson's Enchanted Inc. series. There are four books available, a fifth was planned but the publisher killed the series. I'm hoping that she'll go indie someday.

Offline jasonzc

• Mostly Texas
  • Five more novels before I retire to write.
    • View Profile
    • Write to Life
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
Definitely "Stuck In Estrogen's Funhouse" by Shayna Gier. Not that I read a lot of these types of novels...
http://www.amazon.com/Stuck-in-Estrogens-Funhouse-ebook/dp/B0058JZ562

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
I'm a Seinfeld hater but an Office lover and I enjoy Gemma Halliday's chick-lit mysteries.  :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:06:53 PM by Dara England »

Offline Lindafaye

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 03:45:21 AM »
Fannie Flagg and Rebecca Wells are both Southern Chick Lit writers. FF's Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my favorite books and RW's Divine Secrets (I didn't see the movie until after I read the book) surprised me with it's dark story.

Online BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 09:42:29 AM »
I was digging through the oldest of old archives, trying to find chick-lit recommendations, and you ladies have peaked my interest! Particularly by mentioning The Office. I MUST check out Girl From Mars and Gemma Halloday. They both sound great!!!

Has anyone any new recommendations? Quite a few books have come out since, I hear...  :P

That Curtis one was always on my list.... It's a modern interpretation of Pride and Prejudice... I want to say Curtis Sitter? But I know that's wrong, but my brain keeps screaming SEINFIELD SEINFIELD so I can't think straight...

Offline Mara B.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »
Great question, I am taking notes.

My reccs: I read this book years ago but I remember it being good. It was written by a Letterman writer

This book is on my wish list, but I haven't read it yet. She used to be a stand-up comedian.

Christian romantic comedy
Mara Faro

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
If you enjoy a little Lad Lit with your Chick Lit, you could try The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn or Infidelity for Beginners by Danny King.  Both are very amusing, very British and very much a romantic comedy from the man's point of view.

Offline Mara B.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »
Thanks! At first, I was turned off by the title of the Infidelity book, but the blurb and reviews seem to hint at it not working out or bad repercussions.

When you mentioned Lad Lit it reminded me that I picked up "High Fidelity" by Nick Horby a couple days ago for a good price. It seems to still be that price.

Edit: I just remembered a couple of smart-chick-lit-type books I read in the 90s as paperbacks but they are priced high in the Kindle versions now.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:49:22 AM by Mara B. »

Mara Faro

Offline mediamst

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
Check out The First Bad Man by Miranda July.

Miranda is really interesting. She is an artist as well. I listened to the audio book and she read it. What a treat.

Love this book!

John Richards

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 02:04:43 PM »
Since you mention The Office, have you read any Rainbow Rowell?

I absolutely adore everything she writes! Very clever and funny.

Also, this might be edging more on lit fic, but absolutely clever and funny, something by Lorrie Moore? Maybe start with Self Help or Birds of America (both are short story collections)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:07:29 PM by Laura Rae Amos »

Online BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 04:31:10 AM »
Ah theses all sound great! Rainbow Rowell has been on my TBR list for too long. I think I might have to pick up a copy this weekend.

Mediamst, I LOVE the sound of that one! I checked out some of Miranda's art and it is GLORIOUS. I can't wait to listen to the book in her own voice. I love when author's do that.

Geoffrey: I'm intrigued by your description of those Lad-Lits. I do love a British rom-com! Will add them to the pile as well!

MARA B!!! You're the star of this post! Keep these great recommendations coming! I LOVE Animal Husbandry! <3 <3  :-*

Offline Mara B.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 07:51:35 AM »

Thanks, Ellie! I just remembered another one I read many years ago, The Journal of Mortifying Moments. But, again, priced rather high on Kindle.

Mara Faro