Kindle Forum banner

The Quasi Official May Book Reading Game

17K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  Geoffrey 
#1 ·
Happy May Day, Y'all. here is the list of selectors and selectees again:

SelectorSelecteeGenresDealbreakers
AnnalogTuttleFantasy, Science Fiction (primarily classic science fiction)Love triangle as primary plot element, extremely depressing

Other notes: I cannot commit to reading a book costing me >$5 on my current lack of income. Feel free to list options that cost more than $5, and I'll buy them if they're interesting enough after the sample, but please list at least one book that costs no more than $5.
Betsy the QuilterciscokidHorror, Paranormal/Supernaturl Thrillers, Apocalyptic fiction, Some Sci Fi...my taste in books is actually pretty broad....these are just my favorites.
Here's the link to my Goodreads page.
Erotica and homosexual romance. Nothing too expensive. :)
ciscokiddjgrossMystery, suspense
My Goodreads account
No Deal Breakers
djgrossAnnalogScience Fiction; Mystery; Fantasy, I have an account on GoodreadsNo Deal Breakers
drenfrowMargueritefantasy e.g.. Robin Hobb, chick lit, best
sellers
war i.e. strategy and weaponry detailed descriptions in a lot of the book , political or religious persuasion books, erotica, autobiographies of movie or pop stars. I have decided to abstain from books that cost more in ebook format than physical kind or more than 9.99.
GeoffreyKingAlSci-fi/fantasy, Mystery/thrillers. Here's my Goodreads No Deal Breakers
KingAlBetsy the Quiltermystery/thrillers, and I'm on
Goodreads :D
No Deal-Breakers (except I prefer to stay $9.99 and under.)
MargueriteGeoffreyScience Fiction; Fantasy; Alternate History; gay fiction You can find me on goodreads here.No Deal Breakers
TuttledrenfrowMystery, Fantasy/Sci Fi, Science/History of Scienceextreme violence/gore, extreme sadness,
horror/scary stuff, You can check out my books
on Goodreads: Donna's Books

See less See more
#3 ·
Marguerite said:
Hi Geoffrey,

I got this book from the library and liked it so much that I bought it. I hope that you haven't read it yet, but if you have, let me know and I will pick another.

Wow. I've looked at that book a few times and it always scares the bejesus out of me. That has too many things in it I'm terrified of dying of ..... I know I said no dealbreakers but I think you just found the secret hidden one ... :eek:. May I have another choice?

#4 ·
KingAl,

I have two choices for you - both of which are pretty odd little books.

The first is a typical spy-thriller a la Ian Fleming only told from the perspective of one of the bad guys' henchmen: The Henchmen's Book Club. Oh, and apparently henchmen read in their spare time.

The next one is a strange little ditty about a chick working for the good guys by kiling serial killers: Bad Monkeys. Or, is she just crazy?

I hope at least one of these works for you ... :)

#5 ·
Greetings Annalog!

I have three choices for you outside of your usual genres...

I just finished (and loved) this post-apocalyptic thriller. $9.99 Kindle.

I wept copiously while reading. I borrowed the book from my library and loved it so much that I bought a copy. Currently $10.99 Kindle (which is why I hesitated to include as an option).

A really fun read (and the book I read for April's Reading Game). Reminded me of the movie O Brother Where Art Thou. $2.99 Kindle (the book is also in the KOLL and was offered free a few weeks back, so you may have it in your TBR library)

If none appeal, let me know and I'll provide more options :)

DJ

#6 ·
djgross said:
Greetings Annalog!

I have three choices for you outside of your usual genres...

I just finished (and loved) this post-apocalyptic thriller. $9.99 Kindle.

I wept copiously while reading. I borrowed the book from my library and loved it so much that I bought a copy. Currently $10.99 Kindle (which is why I hesitated to include as an option).

A really fun read (and the book I read for April's Reading Game). Reminded me of the movie O Brother Where Art Thou. $2.99 Kindle (the book is also in the KOLL and was offered free a few weeks back, so you may have it in your TBR library)

If none appeal, let me know and I'll provide more options :)

DJ
DJ, how did you know I was thinking I should finally try out the Lending Library? I have decided to borrow The Dirty Parts of the Bible -- A Novel by Sam Torode.

Now to let my mom, sister, and DH know that this book will be available for this month. ;)

#7 ·
Tuttle, since I am borrowing a book from the lending library for the first time, I decided to go with books that I can loan. Since the loan period is for 14 days, I am including the number of pages according to Amazon. I am also including the price, but that is irrelevant if you borrow it from me. ;)

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. This book is 560 pages and $10.99. I definitely enjoyed reading this non-fiction book.

White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by Paul Clayton. This book is 458 pages and $4.99. This book was recommended to me in this game and I have recommended it to others. Some liked it and some did not.

There are others but these two are outside your listed usual genres.

Let me know if either of these appeal to you so that I can loan you the book.

Anna
I posted on the first day of the month; it is a miracle. ;D

#8 ·
Marguerite said:
Hi Geoffrey,

I got this book from the library and liked it so much that I bought it. I hope that you haven't read it yet, but if you have, let me know and I will pick another.

I understand. It kept me on the edge of my seat but I found it overall a hopeful book. Here is a completely different kind of book.

#9 ·
djgross, I have three very different selections for you. All of them out of your comfort zone since I don't read many mysteries.

The first one is about an impoverished boy who finds a bag of money from a bank robbery and uses some of the money to try and improve the lives of the people around him. When I made the link it came up at 14.99, but on the Amazon page it says 9.99.

This next one was a made into a movie, which is nearly as good as the book. The kindle edition is listed as 7.99.

The last one is a children's book that I didn't read until a few years ago. I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but since I enjoyed the movie so much I bought a huge volume containing all the books and read them straight through. This is the first in the series.

I hope one of these appeals to you, if not let me know and I'll come up with something else.

Toni

#10 ·
Geoffrey said:
Wow. I've looked at that book a few times and it always scares the bejesus out of me. That has too many things in it I'm terrified of dying of ..... I know I said no dealbreakers but I think you just found the secret hidden one ... :eek:. May I have another choice?
I will say that it was a phenomenal book....and a happy ending...but there are some pretty grim stories.

Betsy

#11 ·
CiscoKid--

You seem to read a wide range... So here are some of my favorites since I got my Kindle...a wide range of genre and price... You said you don't read much SciFi, so I've listed In Her Name first.

Currently free ;D can't beat that price. Fabulous book by KB member Michael Hicks...one of the first indie books I read and I couldn't put it down. And that was the omnibus edition which was really big.... :D I can also loan you the Omnibus edition which is apparently now called "In Her Name: Redemption."

I'd call this a cozy romance/fantasy. $3.99 and a Kindle Owners Lending Library (KOLL) book. I liked the mix of romance, witchcraft and computers and have read the rest of the series.

$2.99 and a KOLL book. Mystery set in a fundamental polygamous community. The community seemed very authentic to me from non-fiction that I've read.

$9.99 This was a very very good book recommended to me in a prior Quasi Official Book Game edition. I really enjoyed it and consider it worth the price. Fiction with a lot of factual basis.

(Looking at your Goodreads page, it seems we like a lot of the same authors!)

Betsy

#12 ·
Betsy:

I have picked a couple of historical fiction books.

This is a rather long book set in the 16th century about an English sailor who gets shipwrecked in Japan.

This is the first book of a 2 book series about a military family during World War II. It is a very long book, and is currently only $3.99 at Amazon.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book was even better than the movie.

If none of these work for you, I'll try again.

-- Albert

#13 ·
Marguerite, here are my picks for you. First up, because the second book came out yesterday and it's fresh in my mind is Divergent, an excellent dystopian novel. It's $9.99 which is the same price as the paperback.

My second pick is Dracula. I had never read it before and just listened to it recently as an incredible full cast recording, but the book of course is free. I was rather surprised at how much I enjoyed it and just how creepy it was in parts.

Let me know if neither sounds good.

#14 ·
Betsy, I don't know if its harder to pick a book for someone who has similar tastes or totally different tastes, but all the books you picked lookied interesting.  I'm not much for fantasy, but In Her Name:Empire has so many great reviews I decided to download it. I also downloaded A Modern Witch since I've been thinking about reading that one for awhile. I'm not sure which I'll read first. I guess it'll depend on what I'm in the mood for. 

Toni

#15 ·
drenfrow said:
Marguerite, here are my picks for you. First up, because the second book came out yesterday and it's fresh in my mind is Divergent, an excellent dystopian novel. It's $9.99 which is the same price as the paperback.

My second pick is Dracula. I had never read it before and just listened to it recently as an incredible full cast recording, but the book of course is free. I was rather surprised at how much I enjoyed it and just how creepy it was in parts.

Let me know if neither sounds good.
Since I have read Divergent, I will read Dracula. I am familiar with the plot, of course but haven't read the book. Thanks for the recommendations.

#16 ·
Annalog said:
DJ, how did you know I was thinking I should finally try out the Lending Library? I have decided to borrow The Dirty Parts of the Bible -- A Novel by Sam Torode.

Now to let my mom, sister, and DH know that this book will be available for this month. ;)
DJ, I have read 17% of The Dirty Parts of the Bible -- A Novel by Sam Torode. I told my mom and sister that this book would be available in their Archives for this month only.

My mom downloaded the book this morning and phoned me at work today, when she was 2% into the book, to ask how to turn TTS on so that she could keep reading this book without her glasses. (My 80 year old mom fell Saturday morning and hurt her back. She is not supposed to lay on her back, sit, or stay in the same postion for more than 30 minutes. She cannot wear her reading glasses while laying on her side.)

Thank you for recommending this book! It seems to be just what my mom needs to keep her occupied until her doctor's appointment this afternoon. :)

#17 ·
Annalog said:
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. This book is 560 pages and $10.99. I definitely enjoyed reading this non-fiction book.
A Short History of Nearly Everything looks both really interesting and outside of my normal genres. I choose that one :).

drenfrow, I only am able to provide one selection at the moment, though of course you could still request a different one. This is the book I just finished, and it easily became one of my favorites.

#18 ·
Geoffrey said:
KingAl,

I have two choices for you - both of which are pretty odd little books.

The first is a typical spy-thriller a la Ian Fleming only told from the perspective of one of the bad guys' henchmen: The Henchmen's Book Club. Oh, and apparently henchmen read in their spare time.

The next one is a strange little ditty about a chick working for the good guys by kiling serial killers: Bad Monkeys. Or, is she just crazy?

I hope at least one of these works for you ... :)
Geoffrey, the samples both look interesting, but I'm going with Bad Monkeys. I placed a hold on it at the library, so I'll get started when it comes in. Thanks for the picks.

#19 ·
Tuttle said:
drenfrow, I only am able to provide one selection at the moment, though of course you could still request a different one. This is the book I just finished, and it easily became one of my favorites.

This looks interesting. I should be able to start it in a couple of days. Thanks.

#20 ·
Tuttle said:
A Short History of Nearly Everything looks both really interesting and outside of my normal genres. I choose that one :).
Tuttle, I have sent you a PM. Reply to the PM with the information I need to complete the book loan to you. In my opinion, you picked the correct book of the two I suggested. :)
Anna

#21 ·
KingAl said:
Betsy:

I have picked a couple of historical fiction books.

This is a rather long book set in the 16th century about an English sailor who gets shipwrecked in Japan.

This is the first book of a 2 book series about a military family during World War II. It is a very long book, and is currently only $3.99 at Amazon.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book was even better than the movie.

If none of these work for you, I'll try again.

-- Albert
Albert--

All great choices! And I know this because I've read them.... ;D I was pleased to see that Winds of War was $3.99 on Kindle...I loved that book so I picked it up. Got any more? I don't read that much historical fiction, so that was a good decision.

Betsy

#22 ·
Betsy: Have you read these?

This is about 2 Chinese sisters who are forced to marry Chinese Americans who have come to China to find wives, and their struggle once they get to the United States. (There is a sequel to this book.)

You may already have read this book, as it is picked fairly frequently in this game. If not, it is a really long book set in 12th century England and is about the building of a cathedral. (There is also a sequel to this book.)

Geoffrey picked this book for me for this game last year. It is a really long book about the history of several families from the Stone Age to modern times.

#24 ·
ciscokid said:
Hi Toni,

Thanks for the picks! After some deliberation, I'm going with:

Love this book! Hope you are enjoying the other books in the series :)

DJ

#25 ·
KingAl said:
Betsy: Have you read these?

This is about 2 Chinese sisters who are forced to marry Chinese Americans who have come to China to find wives, and their struggle once they get to the United States. (There is a sequel to this book.)

You may already have read this book, as it is picked fairly frequently in this game. If not, it is a really long book set in 12th century England and is about the building of a cathedral. (There is also a sequel to this book.)

Geoffrey picked this book for me for this game last year. It is a really long book about the history of several families from the Stone Age to modern times.
Albert,

haven't read any of those....let me look at 'em and I'll let you know. Long is good, love long books!

Betsy

#26 ·
I'm trying to get Shanghai Girls from the library, there are only two patrons ahead of me at the Free Library of Philadelphia... That works all right because I'm finishing a library book now (Battle Royale). If Shanghai Girls isn't available when I get done, I'll probably pick one of the others so I can get started right away! (Shanghai Girls is above my self imposed $9.99 limit to buy.)

Betsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.