Author Topic: Why Are Erotica Writers Unwelcome On Here?  (Read 14574 times)  

Offline Lily Mia

• eBook For Sale! ------->
    • View Profile
Why Are Erotica Writers Unwelcome On Here?
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »
We write stories just like the rest of you people on here. We have a willing audience keen to buy erotica titles out there.
The only difference between erotica writers and most other writers is that we don't do fade to black, but write the parts of stories that people find interesting.

I understand that talking about aspects of our writing is not suitable for all venues and I accept that.

What I don't accept is writers taking pot-shots at erotica writers or erotica with no come back what so ever, worse still that silent sanction when this does occur.
Today I have come across a post which I won't quote, making fun of erotica covers and erotica pen names. A source of amusement readily spat out without any thought or consideration that most erotic writers are just as human as yourselves. I find it despicable that things like this carry on Kindleboards and seem to be acceptable. Yet dare say something about YOUR (non erotica) book and woe betide as the legions of righteousness gather in strength and numbers.

To hell with my pen name or the fact that this forum is Google indexed because it does not seem to wash with those user/authors that partake in this injustice. I hope some day someone Googles "Why Are Erotica Writers Unwelcome On Here?" and see's my protest and maybe they will take solace in the fact that we erotica writers do count, our stories, our craft does count as much as any other genre here.

The propensity and legitimacy to practice our craft should be respected as much as I respect genres that I find of little interest or value. Do I openly post disparaging views about such matters, no?

People come here to learn, catch up with news and trends in publishing amongst other reasons. I find it deeply offensive that one group of writers should be shunned or publicly insulted for nothing other than following their desire to publish what is a legitimate genre amongst every other genre represented on here.

I sincerely hope that people become aware of that most basic human right, "respect" when posting about erotica writers or their genre.

Rant over.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
Re: Why Are Erotica Writers Unwelcome On Here?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
I would guess there are as many erotica authors here as almost any other genre. Maybe more.

I didn't see the comment you're referring to, so I can't comment on that.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Victoria lane & R.T. Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
We have all types of writers (children to erotica), you are one of us.

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
  • Author of 25 Published Books
    • View Profile
    • Dancaster Creative
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »
All authors and writers are welcome here as this is a readers forum and community.

Edward C. Patterson

Offline George Berger

• no longer welcome here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
If there weren't any erotica writers here - or at least people who write and publish erotica, which might not be the same thing - the two or three people who write nonfiction, and the handful of Christian fiction writers would get mighty lonely talking to themselves. :)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
Lily--

I believe that KindleBoards and the majority of its members do not distinguish between erotica authors and other authors or other members (we do ask of everyone, erotica author or not, that language and images be within Forum Decorum).  All authors, regardless of genre, are welcome here.

That being said, KindleBoards members are a diverse group, and occasionally someone will post something inappropriate.  It happens but it doesn't mean it's acceptable.  If you see a thread or post that you feel is inppropriate, please don't hesitate to report it so that we can review it.  With over 2000 new posts a day, our five volunteer moderators do not read every single post and rely on member reports to find problems.  I haven't seen the thread that you are speaking of, but will take a look around.  It would help if you would report it or PM me. 

As always, we ask that our members be respectful of each other.  We are known as the "nice" Internet forum for a reason.

Betsy
KB Moderator
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Jana DeLeon

• View Profile
    • Author website:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
I'm fairly new around here, but I have not seen the unwelcome behavior that you refer to. I don't care what anyone writes as long as they take their work seriously.
NY Times and USA Today bestselling author

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
I guess this one post has you all fired up, and I can't comment about that because I haven't seen it

Overall, though, I have to say I haven't seen a prejudice against erotica authors, or any genre for that matter, on this board.  Am I missing something?

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Offline AmsterdamAssassin

• Amsterdam, The Netherlands
  • Fear is the little-death that brings obliteration
    • View Profile
    • Tao of Violence - Amsterdam Assassin Series
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
I give your rant a three out of five stars. It was way too well-informed, well-written, and it lacked true profanity.

"...most realistic depiction of a blind character I have come across..." -Amazon reviewer
Martyn V. Halm | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
<moderator pokes head in>

The usual reminder. . .if anyone sees a post that they feel to be against forum decorum, including personal attacks, please use the report function to let us know.  I don't know what comment prompted this response. . . I've certainly seen pokes at writers of pretty much all genres over the last few years.  Seems like romance gets the worst of it. . . . but I've seen digs at paranormal as well.

In general, "Good fun" is fine, "Mean girl" is NOT OK, and personal attacks are right out. . . . . please report anything you feel crosses the line.  We discuss all such reports and act as we feel is in the best interest of the Board as a whole.

<moderator wanders away>

edit:  I see Betsy was poking her head in at the same time as me. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Chris Northern

• View Profile
    • forwardviewmirror
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »
Why Are Erotica Writers Unwelcome On Here?

Not.

Maybe we all blind, but I've also seen no indication of what you are suggesting. Pity you didn't reference the post. Then I could pop over there, see what I think and maybe say what I think if I felt inclined to do so.

Author of Fantasy, Urban Fantasy and Science Fiction
Chris Northern | blog | Facebook | Newsletter | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline Scarlet Scrivener

• Albuquerque
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »

What I don't accept is writers taking pot-shots at erotica writers or erotica with no come back what so ever, worse still that silent sanction when this does occur.

People come here to learn, catch up with news and trends in publishing amongst other reasons. I find it deeply offensive that one group of writers should be shunned or publicly insulted for nothing other than following their desire to publish what is a legitimate genre amongst every other genre represented on here.

I sincerely hope that people become aware of that most basic human right, "respect" when posting about erotica writers or their genre.

I don't participate here often, partly because I'm busy working, but partly because when I do, I feel I'm met with hostility half the time.  I started posting with regard to erotica and some of what I've experienced is nothing short of verbal violence, for lack of a better term.  This occurred largely because I was defending erotica and writers, in general.  And, the other running theme here is me posting an experience and others coming along and telling me it didn't really happen that way, I'm exaggerating, etc.

This is a really unfriendly board... and I'm an old-timer in terms of forums, far from being a newcomer.  I know what forums can be like.

I hope I am proven wrong... but, I'm sure I'm going to get the usual reaction from this post.  But, maybe it would do the people here some good to take what the OP is saying into consideration. It definitely has merit from my experience.  And, it's a shame that things are this way.  

Offline Becca Mills

• California
  • Beware the yellow snowball.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
Is this a common thing, Lily -- erotica authors feeling they're being made fun of??? If so, I'm sure the moderators will squelch it. They might just need the offending posts pointed out if they're buried inside long threads.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »

edit:  I see Betsy was poking her head in at the same time as me. :)

No, I was seven minutes earlier...
 ;)

Again, folks, if you have a problem, please report it.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »

Why didn't you provide a "come back"? You are being as silent as those you berate. If it means something to you, and clearly it does, stand up for it. Point it out. Say, I don't think that's cool. Otherwise, you're merely adding to the problem (as you see it). Have there been other comments? Did you call them out? Without knowing what's upset you, I can't really give more to the subject.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline A.R. Williams

• Virginia
  • SF & Fantasy Writer
    • View Profile
    • A-R-Williams.Com
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »
There can be some disparaging comments from time to time. For example when Paypal threatened Smashwords if they didn't remove erotica from its site. So, I can understand what the OP is saying.

Offline Greg Banks

• GA
  • Also known by the pseudonym "Drew Griot".
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Griot
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
We write stories just like the rest of you people on here. We have a willing audience keen to buy erotica titles out there...

Question. There are more than 1,726,005 posts on this forum, and you came to the conclusion that erotica writers aren't welcome based upon ONE negative post?  ???
Free content:

Paid content:

My Websites:
WebsiteBlog | TwitterFacebook | Art Portfolio

Offline KindleKandy

• Boston
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Kandy
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
I lurked here for a long time and came back with a new account after losing the other ID.

I will chime in and hope for the best.

It has nothing to do with what you write. New people are not treated gently on this forum. There is a lot of good information, but it is buried very deep in sarcastic pile-ons that can feel like hostility, even hazing.

Mostly from a few people right on this thread, ironically.

I don't bother to post often for that reason. I read once or twice a month and bite my tongue. Why that atmosphere is encouraged I can't say, but I see a lot of newbies leave or take deep offense. My own response is just to make note of who the nasties are. I don't download or recommend their books and avoid them in general.

It isn't very nice or smart.
If you have a free book with 10 or more reviews and a 4 star rating or better, we would love to recommend it! 
http://kindlekandy.blogspot.com

Offline ShaunaG

• Shauna Granger
    • View Profile
    • Shauna's Spot
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
Confused.

I write both non-erotica and erotica. I've never been shunned or made fun of. I'm open with my real name and pen name *points at covers in signature*

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience though, that's a shame.
  //

Okey Dokey

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »
Lily Mia, take a deep breath.

Erotica writers are welcome here.
They just can't spell damn. They can spell arse, but not ass.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
I've never been shunned or made fun of.

My rates for shunning and public mocking are very competitive if anyone is feeling too included.

/helpful

Krista D. Ball

Offline David McAfee

• Tennessee
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »
Erotica writers aren't welcome here?

Crap.

I was going to start writing erotica, but I'd much rather be welcome here. (Actually it's a relief. Erotica is friggin' HARD to write...er...no pun intended...)

Offline NathanWrann

• West Haven, CT
    • View Profile
    • Dalton Gang Press
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »
If that were true I wouldn't have so much fun looking at all the sigs.  :o

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
No, I was seven minutes earlier...
 ;)

Again, folks, if you have a problem, please report it.

Betsy

I just took longer to compose my post. ::) ;D

As Betsy said. . . if you have a problem with a post. . .report it. . . .complaining about it in a thread like this doesn't help us figure out if there's something we need to deal with. :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:40:16 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
As a non-erotica writer, I feel like I am teased and cattle-prodded frequently, but I must like it, because I keep coming back.  :D

The Cafe is a little like local weather though ... it can turn in a minute. Hang in there!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:41:45 AM by D a l y a »