Kindle Forum banner

Logo/Icon/Font that distinguishes you?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Victoria Champion 
#1 ·
I'm curious to know how many KB authors here have something that they use on their books to distinguish themselves? Such as your own logo? Or a certain type of font you use for your name? Have you found that using a consistent font/logo somewhere on your book has helped readers identify with you more and/or boost your readership and sales a bit?

#3 ·
Yes, I have both a logo and a font for my Planet Explorers series. I had a graphic designer friend of mine do the logo, which is a globe with a spyglass. I regularly use the font Minya Nouvelle for my covers. I think it looks kind of whimsical and kid-friendly. :)

#5 ·
I have a logo that is a Griffin in a crest crosses by a pair of muskets. Griffins & Gunpowder.

A mobile post from: Joshua K Johnson
@authorjkjohnson
gunpowderfantasy.com

#6 ·
I have a logo for the publishing entity I set up as a business to publish my books, Blackwater Books Publishing:

I use just the "B" with the water on the spine and put the entire logo on the copyright page.

And I have begun using a particular font for my author name on all my books:

#11 ·
I have a symbol I created called the corruptagram. You can see it on my covers. It was inspired by the heartagram of Ville Valo. I thought, "If he can have a cool symbol why can't I?" So I thought a little and came up with it quite quickly. A moment of inspiration. I don't know if it has helped me much or not. People seem to like it. I find it kind of funny. I want it to someday surpass the pentagram in popularity and be banned in schools across the nation.

#15 ·
Other than my first name being the surname of a famous acting family, my four books use the same cover template with wide bands of solid color at the top and bottom framing the image in the center. The format was dictated by the source photo for Night of the Pentagram and I have continued to use it. I think the four books look good together and maybe distinguish my titles somewhat.

#18 ·
<---- That's my logo for the Raynfall Agency. You can also see it on the cover of my book below. The font matches the one I use on my agency website, which is Museo Slab 500. (The logo was actually inspired by the Drop sculpture in downtown Vancouver, for any art buffs here.)

However...

This is all for a non-fiction book and a business site. When I publish something in another field, or in a particular genre, I'll be using an appropriate font and the logo will not be on the cover. It'll be on the spine of the print version, if anything, and it'll be small. It's on the cover of this particular book because the book is tied very strongly to the agency, and keeping a consistent visual style there is important.

I might consider using the same font for my name, but nothing more than that. Rigidly maintaining a particular branding across all your books is not a good idea if those books are in vastly different areas, or have a very different tone. I would always prioritize the communication of tone and style over branding consistency.

#19 ·
Victoria Champion said:
I have a logo for my small press imprint Luminous Points Publishing ™.

I inserted it into my ebook in the back matter with a link to the website.

I made it myself. I deliberately didn't include the actual words in the logo so I could use them as a text link below the image.

I also have a favicon which is a stylized V (for Victoria). ;)
I love that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.