Author Topic: # of books & rank more important; or less sold, lower rank, more money?  (Read 1827 times)  

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace

For instance, some of the ranking systems out there are considering numbers of eBooks sold and not price. If you sell twice as many, but at 30% your earnings may look like this:

99 cents x 30% x 2,000 ebooks = $594 dollars

but at a higher price, less sold, not as good a ranking:

$5.50 x 70% x 1,000 eBooks = $3,850 dollars

So which would you rather have? The prestige of numbers or the money in the bank?

Angel books in movie development
Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline That one girl

• Southern California
  • I'm here for the popcorn.
    • View Profile
    • Cassia Leo
Easy. The money in the bank.

I mean, I won't lie, I'd love to squee and jump and pump my fist as I Skype my dad and tell him I made a significant best seller list, but he would probably just laugh and ask how much money that translated to.

Offline PeanutButterCracker

• View Profile
Money for me as well!  ;D

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
Yeah, I'm currently choosing the money in the bank. I have my eBooks priced at $2.99-$5.99. When I had my one book out I did the ninety-nine cents, and I sold twice as many or more, but the money wasn't there. I decided it just wasn't worth the loss.

When I have more eBooks out, I plan to set one permanently free (the first in each series) to drum up sales for the rest. So by the end of this year, my strategy may change.

This month, within the first seven days, I've all ready made more than someone who will sell 2,000 ebooks on Amazon for the whole month.

Lisa Grace - Where Good Meets Evil | author website | facebook | twitter | google+ | Youtube

Offline Deanna Chase

• New Orleans
    • View Profile
I'm all about maximizing the bottom line. If that means one is free, or one is heavily discounted, then fine. If either of those strategies stop working and I can make more with a full priced book, I'm cool with that too. It's nice to be on bestseller lists, that does help with visibility, but if 99 cents brings in half the income, I'd forgo the bestseller list.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:10:50 PM by Deanna Chase »

Offline Emily Ryan-Davis

• Maryland
    • View Profile
    • Scorched Sheets
I want the sales volume that comes from people buying off the best-seller list, at the royalty rate I earn for 70% of $2.99+. The actual ranking is meaningless to me except in terms of how many sales I garner per day while in that position.

Offline eBooksHabit

• California, USA
  • eBooksHabit.com - Feeding your ebook addiction!
    • View Profile
Yah... I am all for maximizing your earnings, but the ability to catapult yourself further by hitting a higher rank, thereby increasing your sales even more, is something very hard to calculate into earnings projections at various price points, but is also something that can significantly catapult your earnings, if you end up moving many more units because of a higher rank (which takes a high rank to get that boost).

I am experiencing it right now with a book (top 1000), at $2.99... do I wish I was at $3.99 or $4.99? Absolutely! Do I think I could maintain my top 1000 rank at those price points? I do not... and that top 1000 is driving tons of sales and tons of borrows, that more than make up for the lower price point.
eBooksHabit.com - Authors: Submit your free ebooks! - Readers: Find free ebooks!

Offline pamclaughton

• Plymouth, MA
    • View Profile
Prestige is overrated and you can't spend it. :)

Offline adammjohnson

• View Profile
Well, I'm pretty broke, so every little bit helps. :)

Seriously though I have my novel priced at $3.99 and I'm comfortable with the price point. I went with $0.99 initially, but I think that $3.99 is a more reasonable price, and that the people who purchase the book are a bit more likely to pick it up because they like the idea and want to read the story than because it's cheap. Overall I want to get the book out to as many people as possible, and plan on doing giveaways consistently (I've given away roughly 7,000 copies so far, and if that translates into a few hundred people actually reading the book then great) but I do think that $3.99 is a much fairer price than $0.99 and I'm making money and getting onto lists, so right now I don't have any complaints.

Offline K. A. Jordan

• Kentucky, USA
  • K.A. (Kat) Jordan Author of 'Swallow the Moon.'
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Croft
I've got 3 horses - this is going to be a lousy year for hay. A bale of hay is $5 - so I'm not about to sell a novel for $.99

Author of Horsewomen of the Zombie Apocalypse
K. A. Jordan | blog | facebook

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace
Yah... I am all for maximizing your earnings, but the ability to catapult yourself further by hitting a higher rank, thereby increasing your sales even more, is something very hard to calculate into earnings projections at various price points, but is also something that can significantly catapult your earnings, if you end up moving many more units because of a higher rank (which takes a high rank to get that boost).

I am experiencing it right now with a book (top 1000), at $2.99... do I wish I was at $3.99 or $4.99? Absolutely! Do I think I could maintain my top 1000 rank at those price points? I do not... and that top 1000 is driving tons of sales and tons of borrows, that more than make up for the lower price point.

I'm not sure your sales would go down by raising the price. My $5.99 and $5.50 eBooks are selling more than my $2.99 or 3.99 ones.

Offline Nathan Lowell

• High plains of Colorado
  • Find the magic in the everyday.
    • View Profile
    • Solar Clipper Diary
Revenue-demand is the only curve that matters to me.

$4.95 has been my price point because it seems to be generating the best revenue (and therefore profit). Higher price generates lower demand without sufficient offset in revenue. Lower price generates lower revenue without sufficient offset in demand.

The data are old now. Might be able to do better at different price points but I'm pleased with the level of sales and would rather spend time creating new content than playing with prices.
My other ship is a solar clipper! Visit the Solar Clipper Diary to learn more.
Parrots don't buy crackers.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
I'm not sure your sales would go down by raising the price. My $5.99 and $5.50 eBooks are selling more than my $2.99 or 3.99 ones.

That's true, but it's worth pointing out that one is a new release and the other is an omnibus edition and both have been promoted in ways the other books have not.

I do think there is more room in pricing than we think there is, but your platform, your genre and the life cycle of your book(s) all play a part.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Nathan Lowell

• High plains of Colorado
  • Find the magic in the everyday.
    • View Profile
    • Solar Clipper Diary
That's true, but it's worth pointing out that one is a new release and the other is an omnibus edition and both have been promoted in ways the other books have not.

I do think there is more room in pricing than we think there is, but your platform, your genre and the life cycle of your book(s) all play a part.

This.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:52:59 PM by Nathan Lowell »
My other ship is a solar clipper! Visit the Solar Clipper Diary to learn more.
Parrots don't buy crackers.

Online MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
I'm trying to make a living, so I lean toward money, but I suppose there is a tipping point somewhere. For example, I wouldn't take 250K guaranteed a year to ship a single copy of each of my books to some eccentric chap in Sri Lanka who paid me for the privilege of being an exclusive reader. I'm also a writer and I want to be read.

Offline Lisa Grace

• Florida, USA
  • Me
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Grace

I don't know who "breakaway" is or what their books are, but other than the ENT ad, my eBooks haven't been promoted in any other way that isn't open to others. Two of my ebooks have never been run free or lower than the $2.99 price point. The visiblity "breakaway" is getting being in the top 1,000 gives them more visiblity and a chance to try a higher price point.  It's a risk which each have to judge/take/not take for ourselves.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:51:13 PM by LisaGraceBooks »

Offline SunHi Mistwalker

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Sunhi Mistwalker's Blog
I'll take the money over rank any day. My science fiction series was temporarily on sale at a lower price for a month. Ironically, I sold more copies once I raised the price. Go figure.

Take the indie writer demographics survey. http://ow.ly/pLXEv Be Counted!
Website: www.sunhimistwalker.com Available everywhere ebooks are sold.

Offline phil1861

• Albuquerque, Mew Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Phillip M Bryant
Money; feeds the habit.

Setting price and watching buys and trying to guess if the slow down is due to price or just the amazon algos is tough, but I've not regretted going from 3.99 to 4.99 to 5.99. Visibility drives sales more then cost up to a certain point but setting price higher just takes ignoring every fiber of your emotions that screams when you see one or two sales less each day and tries to make a correlation.

Author of Historical Fiction
Phillip Bryant | Blog | Facebook | Goodreads | Newsletter

Offline Cheryl Douglas

• View Profile
    • www.cheryldouglasbooks.com
I'd have to say money too, but I'm not going to lie, it is nice to see the books climbing higher in the rankings.  ;)

Offline Benjamin A.

• Beaverton, OR
    • View Profile
    • Magic Jar Publishing
I think it depends on the book. Yeah, I'd like money. I want to make a living off writing, so it's an important factor.

From an idealistic standpoint, if I had more than 1 book out, and we're only talking about the pricing of one book, I'd actually take numbers over money. It's not about rank though, but number of readers. If 99 cents doubled my numbers, that's double the potential to have people talking about the book, and double the potential to sell subsequent books. Probably similar to the perma free book debate.

If we're talking all the books a person writes though, or if a person only plans to write one book, then less rank/total sales for more money no question. Rank is fleeting, but money in the bank is more tangible. When it disappears I (usually) have something to show for it, even if it was just having a good time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:55:59 PM by Benjamin A. »
Rift of Askrah series: Free! $3.99

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
Good Amazon rankings alone won't pay my mortgage.

I'm enjoying the numbers from a few 99c promos at the moment, but I'll be back to the 3.99 price point next week.

Offline RuthNestvold

• View Profile
    • Ruth Nestvold's blog
I'd have to say money too, but I'm not going to lie, it is nice to see the books climbing higher in the rankings.  ;)

This. :)

That said, when sales on Yseult ground to a halt after I (temporarily) left KDP Select, I lowered the price to 99c,  both in order to revive sales and to create interest for the next book in the series, Shadow of Stone. Now that the price is back to 3.99, the sales are almost the same as they were a month ago at the sale price. :) But I still think the temporary price reduction helped, for both novels.

Ruth Nestvold

Blog   Twitter

Award Winning Author of Fantasy & SF