Author Topic: Curiosities  (Read 2106 times)  

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
Curiosities
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »
I am only a few hours into my Kindling and I love it. It is so perfect for the way I like to read, I can not tell you.

I do have a couple of questions of not been able to find answers for through searching...

The page counter at the bottom.. says for ex 620-55. I assume this mean I am on page 55 of 620 pages? I am just curious
why it does not say 55-620.

Also, is there a way to choose one screen saver that you like?

I am pretty sure you can also put in (download?) your own, but in going through the manual
I could not find how to do that?

Thanks!

Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
Re: Curiosities
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:51:10 PM »
The ennumerator at the bottom is telling you that the current page is displaying location numbers 620 through 655. Those location numbers have no correlation to pagination on a printed text edition.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:55:28 PM »
oh... I see.

interesting... Is there a way to see how many pages you are into the book then?

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
There's a progress bar at the bottom of every page that displays a line of dots. As the book progresses, the dots darken from left to right across the display, giving you a rough idea of how far along in the book you are. That progress indicator is also visible beneath the title on the Kindle home page, but you may have to squint to see it. Also, accessing "go to location' from the menu while reading a book will show the entire range of numbers; for instance "Location 1 to 695. So if you're at location number 350, you're about halfway through.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:12:21 PM by Teninx »

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:18:48 PM »
Thanks so much!

Offline quickfics

• Upper-Left
  • Witty comment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:07:17 PM »
I am pretty sure you can also put in (download?) your own, but in going through the manual
I could not find how to do that?

From a post by phuocle on MobileRead

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17234

• Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
  • Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)
  • Create a new folder called pictures and a subfolder called screensavers under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.
  • Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600800 pixels and black & white. Ive only used .jpg files. (Note: I've used .png files as well)
  • After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.
  • Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called screensavers . Open it. Youll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. (Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list)
  • While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.
  • On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, youll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.
  • Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.
  • When youve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

If you want to get rid of your custom screen savers, follow these steps:

• Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
  • Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , go to your Kindle drive under My Computer.
  • If you see a folder called system, skip this step. If you dont see the system folder, click on the Tools menu & then Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and look at the Advanced Settings. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply, then OK. You should now see a system folder.
  • Under the system folder, youll see a screen_saver folder. Delete all the files that are in that folder.
  • After you disconnect from the USB, you may see your last custom screensaver one more time, but after that it will revert back to the pre-loaded Kindle screensaver images.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:21 AM »
[ blatant self-promotion on] Octochick,

Info on locations, custom screensavers and dozens of other neat tips and tricks, plus answers to more than 200 frequently asked questions, can be found in The Amazon Kindle FAQ by yours truly and two wonderful co-authors.

See the link down at the bottom of my message if you are interested in reading reviews, learning more or or buying the book.

Thanks for your support!

Leslie

[ /blatant self-promotion off]

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:43:39 AM »
Thanks Quick for the SS info!

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:04:11 AM »
[ blatant self-promotion on] Octochick,

Info on locations, custom screensavers and dozens of other neat tips and tricks, plus answers to more than 200 frequently asked questions, can be found in The Amazon Kindle FAQ by yours truly and two wonderful co-authors.

See the link down at the bottom of my message if you are interested in reading reviews, learning more or or buying the book.

Thanks for your support!

Leslie

[ /blatant self-promotion off]

I actually thought you were referring to the top thread on the Amazon Forum's first page. I read almost the entire thread, when I first logged
on and did not remember any info on SS.... I just finally figured out from a post in another thread, that this is an actual book!
I just bought it! Thanks!!