Kindle Forum banner

No Respect

9K views 98 replies 61 participants last post by  Shane Murray 
#1 ·
One of my neighbors came over the other day and he had noticed that my car had been in the driveway for the past few months.  (I stopped the day job when I started earning a full time living from Amazon)  I told him I was making a full time living from self-publishing. First he asked for "proof", so I showed him my KDP account.  Then he had a mad look on his face.  Then he said, "I need to start writing this week and doing the same thing."  (This from someone who's never written ANYTHING)

If I said I was suddenly making a full time living as an electrician, would he say "I need to start doing electrical work this week!" -- ?

Me thinks not.

#53 ·
David Adams said:
My talents are EXTREMELY specialized. Forum posts only. Sorry!
And you're able to make a living that way?! :eek:
Gimme PROOF!

#54 ·
Nathalie Hamidi said:
And you're able to make a living that way?! :eek:
Gimme PROOF!
I camp out in the park like a homeless man, stealing power from a local high voltage like and leeching wifi from Starbucks, all to feed my Kindleboards habit!

#55 ·
David Adams said:
I camp out in the park like a homeless man, stealing power from a local high voltage like and leeching wifi from Starbucks, all to feed my Kindleboards habit!
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN ;)

#56 ·
Why is it that we all agree it was disrespectful for the neighbor to ask for proof that the OP writes for a living, but it seemed fine and dandy for some people to come out and jab a finger at TattooedWriter in his thread about making a living writing short stories and novellas and demanding proof from him in the form of titles/ranks/whatever? It's the same disrespect that was shown to the OP.

Thread is here for those interested: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,121594.0.html The demands start flying on page 6.

I don't understand KB. ::) ::) ::) ::)

#57 ·
JuliaHarwell said:
Why is it that we all agree it was disrespectful for the neighbor to ask for proof that the OP writes for a living, but it seemed fine and dandy for some people to come out and jab a finger at TattooedWriter in his thread about making a living writing short stories and novellas and demanding proof from him in the form of titles/ranks/whatever? It's the same disrespect that was shown to the OP.

Thread is here for those interested: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,121594.0.html The demands start flying on page 6.

I agree.

#60 ·
#61 ·
I am loving this thread.  ;D

#62 ·
Nathalie Hamidi said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ;D ;D ;D
*bowing to the master of fnu*
Forgot to say: THIS PIC IS MISSING A RAINBOW.

#66 ·
Hugh Howey said:
You need to figure out how to monetize your forum posts. Add a Paypal button or something.
The way I figure it, I've got books ranging from 99c to $5!

Or maybe I can just publish a book...

"I wrote a funny Kindleboards post, and if you think it was worth 99c, click here!" - A non-novel by David Adams

#67 ·
#69 ·
David Adams said:
David you scare me sometimes...
Fortunately I can turn that fear into something happening in a book. Ah the power of writing... :)
(PS: Don't put that horrible wig on ever again, it makes me want to create an evil hair dresser...)

#71 ·
JuliaHarwell said:

It's forum decorum to eat low to mid lister's. Moderators will take a holiday and only lock the thread once one of the bigger regular KB members are directly attacked. They won't protect you unless your part of the established clique here. They will even make tidy the posts to protect the guilty, much like those people in movies.
The regular posters are then mildly chided and KB continues :)

#72 ·
Spirit Flame said:
It's forum decorum to eat low to mid lister's. Moderators will take a holiday and only lock the thread once one of the bigger regular KB members are directly attacked. They won't protect you unless your part of the established clique here. They will even make tidy the posts to protect the guilty, much like those people in movies.
The regular posters are then mildly chided and KB continues :)
Oh god I'm a low/mid lister. Help! I need an adult!

#74 ·
SunHi Mistwalker said:
...they still ask if I actually make a living at it. I find that highly annoying and disrespectful. So now I say. "Yeah I do. So, what do you do for a living?" No matter what they say, I look shocked and respond with "Wow, can you actually make a living at that?" I don't make a lot of friends that way; but I honestly don't give a hoot. ;D
I love this!

I have made half my living working from home since 2008. The hardest part for me has been the people who assume that since I am home, I am somehow able to take phone calls all day, or even worse watch someone's kids for them... They can't grasp that I am actually busy.

#76 ·
righterman said:
One of my neighbors came over the other day and he had noticed that my car had been in the driveway for the past few months. (I stopped the day job when I started earning a full time living from Amazon) I told him I was making a full time living from self-publishing. First he asked for "proof", so I showed him my KDP account. Then he had a mad look on his face. Then he said, "I need to start writing this week and doing the same thing." (This from someone who's never written ANYTHING)

If I said I was suddenly making a full time living as an electrician, would he say "I need to start doing electrical work this week!" -- ?

Me thinks not.
LOL. Sometimes I get housewives dropping in to ask me for "a few tips" so they too can become writers and "earn some pin money". I give them a few tips, but have never heard of their books since. Odd, that.

When I write a book for other writers, I have the local college of further education set up a class for me, and distinguished writers come from a long way away and make valuable input, but the pretense is that this is for anyone who pays the fees, and a few aspirants always wander in, and wonder "when will you get to the inspiration". They're totally baffled when I say, "Inspiration is what you bring. I teach craft and professional skills." The pros have no difficulty understanding. Once, when I was persistently questioned about "Where do you get ideas from?" I had a travelling trunk weighing about 500 pounds carried in, and from it handed out randomly chosen sheets, each with only one or a few sentences written on it. The pros of course fell on my surplus ideas like manna from heaven, and turned several of those ideas into really good books. I asked people to explain how the idea on the sheet could be turned into a book, and (besides knowing most of the pros) could tell which of the pros and the amateurs would succeed by the fact that they saw the information on the sheet as an opening to something bigger, rather than a stumbling block.

However, we mustn't be negative. Everyone who will be a writer has inspiration. It is just a matter of recognizing it. I said to a friend once, "If you will turn your fridge-notes to your daughters into a book, I'll give you an introduction to a suitable publisher." Her books are now a big series published all over the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.