Author Topic: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions  (Read 25409 times)  

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »
One of my personal favorite features is the instant on, when you have the Amazon cover.
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
One of my personal favorite features is the instant on, when you have the Amazon cover.

Yeah. . .that's pretty slick. . . . .of course you can also turn it on  and off manually. . . . . well - - wake and sleep, that is.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline omnibus34

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
Amazon isn't the only case with that feature.  I bought the MoKo case for $12.99 (on Amazon) It got great reviews and has the auto on/off feature.

Offline Raheulon

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »
I bought the Marware Vibe Standing Case for $24.99. I like that the Kindle goes into sleep mode when the lid is closed.
After three attempts at trying different covers this one is a keeper and highly reccomended. :)

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
Somewhere on these boards there was a question about the HDMI port. It appears that the port echos whatever is on the screen. Tried it with steaming video from Amazon - worked fine. Tried it with various apps and all worked fine, showing up on my flat screen TV. I even read a bit on the TV - an interesting experience.
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
I even read a bit on the TV - an interesting experience.

I guess if you really need REALLY BIG PRINT.  ;D

Though, if you are doing a presentation, I can see where it might be useful to be able to display something on your Kindle to the whole group. . . .Hmm.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline omnibus34

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
First glitch requiring a reset.................Picked it up and the touch screen was not responding.  I held the power button for about 30 seconds and now it's kinda OK except that the on screen slider responds to my touch without sliding it.   It works but it's different.

Offline Sometimes Lucy

• Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2012, 08:50:18 AM »
I'm really loving this new Kindle Fire, it might even eventually replace my iPad.  One thing I do need to figure out on it is how to get the Zinio app.  I followed the instructions that worked with the last Kindle Fire but it doesn't seem to be working on this new one.
What do you think by now? Is your Fire going to replace your iPad? (I'm thinking of replacing my iPad I) :)

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
What do you think by now? Is your Fire going to replace your iPad? (I'm thinking of replacing my iPad I) :)

A 7-inch replacing a 10-inch? Maybe not.

However, Google is now confirmed to be working on a 10-inch Nexus, with Samsung providing the hardware, on a 10-inch Google Nexus 10 that will feature a display that is promised to be higher-resolution than the current iPad Retina display.

No word on price, but it is said to be "not a low-end device, not like the Nexus 7."
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Juganhut

• View Profile
    • Sky of Dust
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
I got my wife the Kindle Fire HD 7" for her birthday. I recently published my own book and thought it would be neat to get one.

She likes it and is happy with it, but I have a few gripes.

-The system itself is pretty slow due to the android system being chocked by the Kindle overlay.

-They limit the picture/audio/video fromating. If they were more excepting and allow the thumbnails to be viewed like store bought items, I think it would be great.

-They also limited the apps. I understand that Amazon wants all the sells, but it is a bit annoying, especially if you have the apps purchased on Google Play already.

-No rear cam or even front camera app.

+ I do like the fast wifi and the overall setup (There are some snafu's I dont like though)

+The screen and speakers are great.

+It is nice and thin.

Overall, good tablet with a lot of potential if Amazon patches up some things.
Sky of Dust: The Last Weapon is now on sale on Amazon!   It is a Young Adult adventure trilogy with a twist!

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
To use the camera, try the directions here:
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/access-hidden-kindle-fire-hd-camera-app/

Still, it's a front-facing camera, so it's not going to be the best option for a camera for the most part. 
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

Offline MoSo

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »

I plan to keep my ipad v1 for reading magazines (the bigger screen is nice and some magazines have an "ipad enhanced" version not available on the Fire) but otherwise I find myself reaching for the 7" over the ipad.

(Lol, the Fire wants to auto correct ipad to Olaf- must remember to kill auto correct)
Two Kindle DX (Belle and Lillian, named after my mandolins), his Kindle Keyboard (Tess), one Kindle Paperwhite (Aretha), one Kindle Fire HD 7" 32Gb (Vervain) and one ipad v1 (BajiNaji). Plus an ASUS netbook, a Toshiba laptop, a Dell desktop, a host of ipods in varying stages of decrepancy.

And one husband, two dogs and five chickens.

Offline Gisaco

• Lower Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
Thank you to all for adding to this post.  I received a Kindle Fire HD 7" today as a surprise gift, so I'm trying to get up to speed on all the greatness it has to offer!

the only question I have right now is:  Can I use the charger from my Kindle Keyboard to charge this unit?  Charging through USB from a laptop doesn't exactly thrill me, so if I can't use the white charger I use for the older Kindle, I'd better get a charger ordered. 

thanks again ...
One is glad to be of service.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
Thank you to all for adding to this post.  I received a Kindle Fire HD 7" today as a surprise gift, so I'm trying to get up to speed on all the greatness it has to offer!

the only question I have right now is:  Can I use the charger from my Kindle Keyboard to charge this unit?  Charging through USB from a laptop doesn't exactly thrill me, so if I can't use the white charger I use for the older Kindle, I'd better get a charger ordered. 

thanks again ...

Yes. . . .it will be slower, but you can leave it plugged in overnight so you wouldn't really notice that.  It's probably marginally faster than via a laptop or other computer.  The other thing about a laptop -- it may not keep charging it when the laptop has gone to sleep and definitely won't if the laptop itself is operating on battery power. 

The PowerFast that Amazon sells will be faster.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Gisaco

• Lower Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »
Thanks, Ann.  That's what I was hoping.  For now, I'll just use the overnight method, but will probably find I want the rapid charger once I get to using it more. 

Love it so far!

One is glad to be of service.

Offline gregm

• View Profile
Re: Re: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2013, 02:11:36 AM »
Just getting used to it
So ar I like it

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2