Author Topic: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions  (Read 25446 times)  

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
    • View Profile
Re: Fire HD 7" - First Impressions
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 05:01:06 AM »
So far, I'm really liking the HD. One question: How do you opt-out of the ads?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 06:30:28 AM »
Oh reading all of this makes me so excited for my Fire to get here! :)

Can I ask a silly question since this is my first Fire? Does it go to 'sleep' while you are reading if you have been inactive? That is one thing I love while reading in bed, I don't have to worry about not turning it off. :)
I think the default is 5 minutes but you can set it from 30 seconds to 5 minutes to 15 to 30 to 45 to an hour to never

Yes and I think. . . .with the cover. . . .if you close the cover it goes to sleep.

One thing I have noticed.  If you have a bluetooth device connected. . . it will keep waking itself up. . .or the bt device wakes it up.  I found that when I'm done using it I need to turn OFF the bt keyboard so the Fire will stay asleep. . . . . not unlike a small child -- you must take away the toys to get them to rest. ::) ;D

So far, I'm really liking the HD. One question: How do you opt-out of the ads?

Go to the 'manage your devices' section of 'manage your' kindle'.  You'll be able to do it there -- costs $15.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 06:32:53 AM »
Those of you with the HD; have you found any of your existing apps that don't work with the HD? 

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
At least one game isn't working. . .at least. . .I've not found it in the 'cloud' which usually means it's not a compatible app. . . .the one I use a lot on my Fire is "Safe Trip or Not" and when I find it in the Appstore it doesn't list my HD7 as a compatible device.

Here's a FB app specifically for an HD Fire. 

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline docmama28

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to skype (never done it before ;)).  What i'd like to know is how to skype between 2 fire hd's.  From what I've been able to glean from many google searches is that I need to make a video call, but there doesnt seem to be that option avaialble in the skype app.  Also, having trouble with the Whyspersync when i read.  The page is so sensitive that even the slightest touch will turn it, then when I return to the page I was on, the recording automatically starts over at the top of the page.  
A couple of other isues:
*  Does anyone else have a hard time finding the on/off switch?  It sits so flush with the surface that it's a bit hard to locate without taking a long close look
*  The hdmi out port is right next to the micro USB, not really an issue for me but for.my 80 year-old mother in law it (along with the on/off switch) are proving to be a problem
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:57:26 AM by docmama28 »

Offline The Oblong One

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 08:15:18 AM »
Ann, thanks. What's weird is that when I try to redownload that it says I already have it and to look in the library. But, alas, it's not there. It's minor in the scheme of things, but annoying. Still a great device.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 08:16:56 AM »
Ann, thanks. What's weird is that when I try to redownload that it says I already have it and to look in the library. But, alas, it's not there. It's minor in the scheme of things, but annoying. Still a great device.

I'd suggest providing feedback . . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 08:49:06 AM »
Folks,

If you don't mind, I'm going to split out the Skype questions to make it easier for others to find abd so we don't derail the first impressions thread....

Edit:  here's the link to the discussion:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,126650.0.html

Betsy
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:54:24 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 08:51:40 AM »
Good idea Betsy . . . .maybe merge with the microphone discussion also happening. . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »
Those of you with the HD; have you found any of your existing apps that don't work with the HD? 

Betsy

I was using the GSam Battery Monitor for Fire so I could check the battery percent quickly. It appears to not be compatible.  Also, art Authority, Asphalt 6, 7 Little Words, Aces Traffic Puzzle Pack, Doodle Jump, Peggle, Quell, The Lost City, Triple Town ( :(!).  I really hope they get some kind of update to be compatible.   

On a side note, I noticed that IMDB is now not compatible with either device. Neither is Zinio.

Offline docmama28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 09:23:16 AM »
Oh no!  I didn't realize Triple Town wasn't compatible.... :-[

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
Hopefully, here will be updates for at least some of the apps.  When the iPad came out, there was a lag for some of the existing apps to offer iPad versions....

Betsy

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
Oh no!  I didn't realize Triple Town wasn't compatible.... :-[

Triple Town is one of my very favorites ever since I got it on the K2!  I really really hope they get one that is compatible. 

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 09:46:23 AM »
I was using the GSam Battery Monitor for Fire so I could check the battery percent quickly. It appears to not be compatible.  Also, art Authority, Asphalt 6, 7 Little Words, Aces Traffic Puzzle Pack, Doodle Jump, Peggle, Quell, The Lost City, Triple Town ( :(!).  I really hope they get some kind of update to be compatible.   

On a side note, I noticed that IMDB is now not compatible with either device. Neither is Zinio.

This battery app, which I quite like, is shown as compatible for the Fire HD

If you go to the Appstore for Android, and scroll down, you can select in the left side to view only Fire HD compatible apps.  I see many of the recent FAOTD apps are HD compliant.

Betsy

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
I was using the GSam Battery Monitor for Fire so I could check the battery percent quickly. It appears to not be compatible.  Also, art Authority, Asphalt 6, 7 Little Words, Aces Traffic Puzzle Pack, Doodle Jump, Peggle, Quell, The Lost City, Triple Town ( :(!).  I really hope they get some kind of update to be compatible.  

But there is a GSam battery monitor that does work.    I rather expect the 'Fire' one to be updated before the 8.9Fires come out.

Also the FAotD from a few day sago, Battery HD, is compatible. (ah yes, the one Betsy linked to.)

Quell Reflect seems to be o.k. and there is an IBDb ap that's pre-installed, I believe.

Triple Town is, as I recall, an eInk kindle app and didn't work on the first Fire either.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:49:12 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
  • 2015 Paperwhite | Kindle Keyboard | Fire HD6 & HD8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »
Triple Town is, as I recall, an eInk kindle app and didn't work on the first Fire either.

There is a free Triple Town (Kindle Tablet Edition) app at the Amazon Appstore and Google Play.
| Paperbacks | (golf e-books also available at Barnes & Noble, iBooks & Kobo)
FREE borrows for Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Prime KOLL >>> Dust Bowl Justice | Lotto: Blood Money | The Diamond Traitor

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
Thanks, Betsy, I will try that one.  

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Town-Kindle-Tablet-Edition/dp/B008B88LEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347728182&sr=8-1&keywords=triple+town

This is the version of Triple Town I was talking about.  There is a Kindle Active Content version as well.  (And a Facebook version.)  Lol, in case you can't tell, I love this game.

ETA: I was posting at the same time as Dream Weaver.  That is the same version I was talking about.  It works on my original KFire, but sadly, not on the HD yet. 

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
There is a free Triple Town (Kindle Tablet Edition) app at the Amazon Appstore and Google Play.

Ah!  Yeah. . .it's not showing as compatible with my HD7. . . . I'm sure they'll update it soon.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Kindlechick

• My House
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

I downloaded an app and keep getting the 'look in the library' message too.  It's not in the library - or anywhere on my device near as I can tell.  I love the new Fire, but it is a little buggy.  Plus, the Marware case I purchased forces me to use the Fire upside down.  Not a big deal since most screens can reorient, but not all of them.  That has been the biggest annoyance so far, but it is more of a case issue than a fire issue.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 10:20:41 AM »
There was one I went to download and got a message about it re-indexing the library or something. . .it said try again later.  And I did, and the app downloaded just fine.  I like that, when you're in the cloud view, there's a little check mark to let you know it's already on the device.

Also, FWIW, the FB app linked above, is essentially the mobile app. . . . .unlike on the previous fire where the FB link basically opened a web page.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:22:33 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Kindlechick

• My House
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
I just checked the cloud apps again and it's there finally.  I purchased it last night, and it didn't appear anywhere on the Fire until today.  Hmmm...maybe things were backed up due to many receiving their new Fires yesterday.

Offline MsScarlett

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »
Ok, if you use the web browser and go to the Dropbox website on the Fire, you can download the app.  I also sideloaded a Zinio app which seems to be working so far. 

All in all, I am really liking this device.  It seems to be "zippier" than the first one.  :) 

Offline telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
One thing I have noticed.  If you have a bluetooth device connected. . . it will keep waking itself up. . .or the bt device wakes it up.  I found that when I'm done using it I need to turn OFF the bt keyboard so the Fire will stay asleep. . . . . not unlike a small child -- you must take away the toys to get them to rest. ::) ;D

if you take my toys away, i'm gonna cry and NEVER go to sleep.  so may i at least have teddy?

and glad you guys are having fun with your new toys.

Offline PinkKindle

• Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
I am LOVING my new Fire!!  The screen is amazing, and it's definitely lighter and thinner than the old fire.  I will agree with what someone said above that the on/off button is hard to find.  I can't seem to find it by touch and have to be able to see it (hard in the dark).  However, I'm really thinking that I'm going to need the pink Amazon case when it comes out and having the auto sleep/wake will solve this problem just fine.  ;)  The Fire does fit nicely in my Vera Bradley ereader sleeve, so it is protected when not in use, but I really don't feel comfortable without a full-time cover on it! 

There is also no light on the outside to show when the Fire is charging or fully charged.  Not a big deal, just different.  I did not order the charger, as I have a surge suppressor with built in USB ports for charging that I was going to use (and I also have several USB adapter chargers lying around as well).  This has charged the Fire fine and it seemed quick too (though I didn't time it).  I also like that the port for the charging cable is along the side instead of on the bottom -- it's much more out of the way if using the device plugged in.

I do have several apps that are not yet compatible with the new Fire.  All the Mumbojumbo games, for instance.  I'm guessing that's why they recently went down in price so much!  Luckily I already finished them on the old Fire -- but I was surprised not to see them on my app list in the cloud.  I also was going to get Empress of the Deep II as my first hidden object/adventure game for this new Fire, but it doesn't seem to be compatible either.  I'm sure they'll be updated soon, though.  Some of the Big Fish games I haven't played yet are compatible, so I'll just start with one of those. :)  Actually, one of them, Serpent of Isis (Full), shows "What's new in version 1.0.24 - Verified compatibility with the Kindle Fire HD" -- so apparently it's being worked on. ;D

Also, the whispersync for games doesn't really seem to be working right.  I see where a little syncing symbol (rotating arrow circle -- don't know what else to call it! :D) comes up at the end of each level.  However, although it sees the game achievements from the old Fire, it doesn't seem to see the completed levels.  One time on the old Fire, while trying to get this to work, I did get a message that I had progress on both Fires and it asked me which save I wanted to use.  However, this screen has never come up on the new Fire.  I think it probably has to do with the levels being completed before Game Circle was implemented.  I tried re-completing some later levels on the old Fire to see if that would get it to sync, but it didn't work.  Oh well, I will just enjoy redoing the levels on my new Fire -- it's like a brand-new game! ;D  Oh, this was tested on Where's My Perry? and Quell Reflect.

The web pages I've looked at look great on the new Fire -- really everything looks great, I just can't say enough about the new screen! ;D  I haven't tested video yet -- we're nearing the monthly limit on my 4G MiFi (I really hate that limit >:(), so I didn't want to download any video right now. 

Oh, another new feature that I haven't seen mentioned -- when you hold the Fire in landscape view, the bottom navigation bar moves to the side (going down the side instead of across the bottom).  I really liked this -- felt it was easier to open the navigation bar and use it.  I also like the external volume control (though, like the on/off button, it is flush with the case and kind of hard to find by touch in the dark).

So all in all I'm really happy with my new Fire -- I feel like it's a great improvement on an already great device! ;D  Oh, and my husband is very jealous that my Fire is cooler than his. ::)
Patti

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »

MapQuest loads and runs for a few seconds, then crashes.