Kindle Forum banner

This AI program will tell you what books are similar to yours in style

9K views 92 replies 75 participants last post by  RHill 
#1 ·
You put a sample of your writing in here, and it will bring up books athat are written in a similar style. (Someone posted this on another site, just to give due credit). It's a fun way to waste a half hour.

http://www.booksai.com/

When I put samples on my sci-fi in, I get a bunch of books by people I've never heard of who are getting poor reviews. The only ones that make me remotely happy are Orson Scott Card and Phillip K. Dick, except they're not exactly their best works that it brings up.

When I put in samples of my historic saga, it brings up a bunch of stuff by Nora Roberts, which makes me feel pretty good about my decision to change the thing to a historic romance.

Useless, but fun anyway.

p.s. Click on the genre tags above the books it brings up to see the books that are similar to yours in those specific genres.

#6 ·
My purple-y Victorian comedy of errors it closest to "Tales of H.P. Lovecraft", followed by Fitzgerald's "The Beautiful and Damned".

My not-quite-erotica romantic comedy novella is as much as 48% similar to four books by Nabokov, and a 43% match to "This Side of Paradise".

And my YA adventure novel is 44% similar, stylistically, to a Bill Bryson travel book...

#16 ·
Kathleen - that is very freaky!

The first chapter of Dollhouse returned Death of Chimney Sweep and Death of a Gentle Lady by M.C.Beaton.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0446547395/ref=rdr_ext_tmb
http://www.amazon.com/Death-Gentle-Hamish-Macbeth-Mysteries/dp/044661548X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348629031&sr=8-1&keywords=9780446615488

I just looked at the first chapter of that book. Ummm no similarity at all in styles. Though they are both mysteries and mine is a mystery, so p'haps there's something in the brew....

#20 ·
I have deleted this post as I do not consent to the new Terms of Service that Vertical Scope are attempting to retrospectively apply to our content.  I am forced to manually replace my content as, at time of editing, their representative has instructed moderators not to delete posts or accounts when users request it, and Vertical Scope have implied that they will deal with account deletion requests by anonymising accounts, which would leave personally identifying information in my posts.

I joined under the previous ownership and have posted over the years under different Terms of Service.  I do not consent to my name, content, or intellectual properties being used by Vertical Scope or any other entity that they sell or licence my data to.

#24 ·
For River Rat... 

I'm writing fantasy like:
Daggerspell, Katharine Kerr
Game of Thrones, George RR Martin

Mystery historical all up in in the grill of:
Ellis Peters

YA like:
Faerie Winter, Janni Lee Simner

Fantasy forgotten realms:
Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad, Troy Denning

Historical fiction:
The Heretic's Daughter, Kathleen Kent

Horror:
Boy's Life, Robert McCammon

Yes, I'm wasting time. Yes, I work in a cubicle, and that's why I'm wasting time.  :p No, I have never read any of the above books. Yes, I really said "all up in the grill of Ellis Peters."

#25 ·
Sorry but this is too much fun. (GEEK? Me? Yes.) I pasted in WIP "Shadow Daughter." And now we're talking. Here are a few that are actually on my bookshelf. Ha.  :D

Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
Earthly Possessions, Anne Tyler
Memory of Running, Ron McClarty

Also: Richard Bachman (Stephen King), Joshilyn Jackson, Jennifer Weiner, Laura McNeal, Robert B. Parker, Charlaine Harris, Anne Rice, and Margot Livesey.

And apparently I'm also channeling Chelsea Handler. Bizarre combination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.