Kindle Forum banner

This AI program will tell you what books are similar to yours in style

9K views 92 replies 75 participants last post by  RHill 
#1 ·
You put a sample of your writing in here, and it will bring up books athat are written in a similar style. (Someone posted this on another site, just to give due credit). It's a fun way to waste a half hour.

http://www.booksai.com/

When I put samples on my sci-fi in, I get a bunch of books by people I've never heard of who are getting poor reviews. The only ones that make me remotely happy are Orson Scott Card and Phillip K. Dick, except they're not exactly their best works that it brings up.

When I put in samples of my historic saga, it brings up a bunch of stuff by Nora Roberts, which makes me feel pretty good about my decision to change the thing to a historic romance.

Useless, but fun anyway.

p.s. Click on the genre tags above the books it brings up to see the books that are similar to yours in those specific genres.

#78 ·
My satire/parody of a memoir about a narcissistic loser ended up with a bunch of real memoirs (some that sounded to be about real narcissistic losers), Ready Player One, which is another satire/parody, and Starship Troopers, which is satire depending on who you ask. It also brought back some mysteries.

My first horror novel ended up with a mystery/thriller called Absolute Zero, a bunch of forgotten realms books, a Doctor Who book, and some cheesy fantasies with shirtless men fighting strange creatures. 

My second horror novel (a sequel to the first) ended up with actual horror related books, two Peter Straub books, someone named Iain M. Banks, and a short story collection from well known horror writers.

At least two of my books sort of ended up with some of the same genre. The first horror novel doesn't have shirtless men, or epic fantasy, or a time traveling alien with a blue box. Hmm, maybe I should add all that.

#79 ·
Ok, after reading everyone's input, I had to give it a try. Suffice it to say that, if this was match making software for dating purposes, I'd be having dinner tonight with a tobacco chewing, flat-chested, man-hating Russian dwarf named Galina, and toasting the bolshevik revolution with baby mouse wine. ::)

So much for algorithms.

#80 ·
This looks like a job for my latest historical romance! Let's see who I'm like.

*drumroll*

Uh... Octavia Butler's "BLOODCHILD AND OTHER STORIES" and THE GODFATHER? Well. Crap. Maybe I shouldn't have used the Black Moment chapter for that particular test.

This one is different. It's sexier. It'll totally give me... SANDWORMS OF DUNE? Seriously?

Okay, okay. Here's a chapter that's entirely composed of banter and plant destruction. That has to give me...

Lois Lowry's THE GIVER?

I think someone is messing with me.

ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BOOK? REALLY? IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH, IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING? IF I GIVE YOU A SEX SCENE, ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE ME FRANKENSTEIN?!!

Curse you, artificial intelligence!

#81 ·
Courtney Milan said:
Curse you, artificial intelligence!
It's more artificial than intelligence. :D But I give the creators credit for knowing a vital marketing lesson: You can never go wrong appealing to people's vanity. Like those on-line IQ tests where you never score below 140 and the profile says you're like Einstein or Churchill or Kant, you can't go wrong comparing writers to great writers (I mean, it's not like one of the categories is "58% s***").

#82 ·
Surprise, surprise, three Star Trek titles, two Voyageur and one Doctor Who.
Interestingly, also one James Michener and Frank Herbert. Michener also comes up when I search with other titles. Hmmm.

I think perhaps this AI simply matches up keywords, rather than style and structure, given that books like Star Trek and Doctor Who are penned by different authors.

#85 ·
I put in the first couple of pages of Cobweb Bride and got back a bizarre mix!

Most similar author and book is:

William Mcgonagall - Collected Poems

Other similar ones:

R.A. Salvatore, Jerzy Kosinski, Jeffrey Lord, Terry Brooks, Glen Cook, Lois Lowry, Eric Brown, Stephen R. Donaldson, Kate Chopin

That's insane! At least there's some epic fantasy there, but still, very amusing.

#86 ·
Chapter 1 of Ernest Vincent Wright's Gadsby matched Mary Mae and the Gospel Truth by Sandra Dutton. (Granted, Wright wrote a moralistic tale of early 20th-century, small-town Americana.)

So when are they going to expand their database? 10,000 titles to compare from is a nice start.

#88 ·
Now I've got gender confusion here [Bob of Bob Kat].

I write the first draft and kathy makes it readable and good story...

First draft of WIP is more female writer like but final draft of another book after Kathy's rewrite / polish? More male.

Hmmm

#89 ·
I decided to have some fun.  ;D

I put in random text from a text generator website, that was just random words arranged as a sentence, and ended up with two 100% similarities to a survival guide and a fighting guide, with everything else being over 80% similar, with everything from a book on writing to a childcare book.

8000 words of Lorem Ipsum came up with a book about Latin Grammar, software books, a diet cookbook and a book studying the psychology of suicide bombers.

And random letters from another random text website (which produced things like ZlFKxKglCN) brought back more programing guides, but also The Deeper Meaning of Liff, Curse and Berate in 29 Languages, and a book of Jack Kerouac's poetry. Oh and a book of baby names. If I ever have kids, I want to name one of them ZlFKxKglCN.

#92 ·
Hey, this was fun! I put in "Deep Naked" (paranormal/sci-fi) and the "most similar books" button brought up books by Terry Brooks and John Flannagan.

"Split River" (mystery/suspense) brought up Anna Godbersen and Adrian Tchikovsky (sp) as most like it.

Both books brought up "Bright Young Things" by Anna Godbersen as being most like them (the books). I never read that book, but I saw the film and was really creeped out by it. I find this interesting because the books I input are two different genres. Also, both books came out high on "Historical Romance" and neither book is supposed to be that.

"Burn Pile" most like it was George RR Martin. I also came up with Stephen King on that one. I got Thomas Harris and Mario Puzo on the "books like it" button. Harris' book "Red Dragon" (intro to Hannibal Lector) starred all the way across in terms of similarity. I had to read part of his book to make sure he hadn't copied me.  ;) Oddly, I published this book in genre "horror" and it turned out on this tool to be "fantasy."

#93 ·
allanairish said:
I just wasted way too much time with this. I tried about ten different works (novels/short stories/works in progress) that span several genres, and I didn't come up with anything consistent at all. My novel (political thriller) was most similar to a Star Wars novel and Kill Bin Laden, one science fiction story brought up William Gibson and David Gerrold, another (sort of) science fiction story brought up Philip K. Dick, Stephen Fry and David Foster Wallace, and my darkly comic thriller serial brought up two John Grisham books and Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins. (I guess that last part makes sense... I've been compared to those two before.)

Interestingly, I tried several of the same texts in the iwl.me site, and got much more consistent results. It said I write like Margaret Atwood, Raymond Chandler, William Gibson, H.P. Lovecraft x 2, and David Foster Wallace x 3. Maybe it means something that Gibson and Wallace showed up for me on both sites.

ETA: Ha... I just realized that I forgot to delete an epigram from Alexis de Tocqueville at the beginning of my novel when I put it into iwl.me. When I deleted that part, it changed from H.P. Lovecraft to... William Gibson. So plus one for the cyberpunk, minus one for Mr. Cthulhu.
Not learning from your efforts, I had to try out the iwl.me site you mentioned. My "Burn Pile" text left me with William Shakespeare. No wonder I can't sell it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.