Author Topic: Do NOT use Ronnell D. Porter to design your book cover!  (Read 19606 times)  

Offline Keith McArdle

• View Profile
    • Keith McArdle - Action & Adventure Author
Do NOT use Ronnell D. Porter to design your book cover!
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »

Hi all,

I just wanted to mention an extremely frustrating experience I've just had with a certain cover designer by the name of Ronnell D. Porter.

I do this not as any kind of smear campaign, but in the hope that any authors or publishers that intend to use a cover designer, think twice about their options before employing the skills of this particular gentleman.

I will say that Ronnell is a skilled cover designer, I will not take that away from him. However, as for his business and communication 'skills', I have never experienced such a lack of professionalism and communication in my entire life.

So, if you want a cover designed, this is just a friendly reminder that you should think twice before using Mr. Porter.

Here is a brief breakdown of my experience:

17th July - $250.00 paid upfront (paying in full was a mistake).

17th July - Ronnell immediately replies thanking me for payment and saying he'll have something to show me very soon. Things are looking good!

20th July - I'm very keen and excited. I ask Ronnell how the brain storming is coming along. - No reply.

6th August - Sometime between the 20th of July and the 6th of August, I send a message to Ronnell via his website (to which he does not reply). This message sent on the 6th was to explain that to him and to ask whether he received the message.

8th August - Ronnell replies and says I should have something by the next evening.

9th August - As promised, Ronnell delivers a proof of the cover. It looks great! However, there is one problem with it. The character in the foreground is holding the incorrect weapon (for any weapon guys out there, the character was holding an MP-10, not an M-4).

10th August - I thank Ronnell for the proof, and ask him to change the weapon. - No reply.

22nd August - I ask Ronnell if he received my last email.

23rd August - Ronnell replies asking me to forward him the email as he does not remember seeing it. I oblige.

31st August - I ask Ronnell if he has received the email. - No reply.

7th September - I ask Ronnell if he has received the email. - No reply.

13th September - I ask Ronnell if he has received the email. - No reply.

22nd September - I ask Ronnell if he has received the email. - No reply.

24th September - I write to Ronnell explaining that he has 1 week to deliver the completed cover. - He does not reply.

2nd October - Here in Australia it is a Tuesday. The 1st of October (the cut off date) was yesterday, however we are ahead of the USA, so I wanted to give him a fair chance to respond. So far Ronnell has not replied. Nor do I expect him to.

I have asked for a full refund of my money, which I do not expect to receive, as I do not feel Ronnell D. Porter is a particularly honourable or trustworthy character.

So, please think twice before you engage with Mr. Porter. I do not want any of you to experience what I have been through over a period of close to three months.

That said, however, if I receive the completed product, or a full refund, then this post will be deleted from this forum (and the other forums to which it has been posted).

Thank you.

Regards,

Keith McArdle

Offline MonkishScribe

• View Profile
Re: Do NOT use Ronnell D. Porter to design your book cover!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:56 PM »
Sorry to hear this sort of thing yet again.   :(

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
I wish I could say I was surprised.

I'm sorry you had to learn about his shenanigans the hard way.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
I'm so sorry that happened to you. :( I have heard others say the same thing. Even publishers who hired him.

I do hope your post here helps to warn others.
Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

Offline PeanutButterCracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
So wait, this is in addition to the last thread about this guy?  Wow...that's not good.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Just a bit of a reminder by way of fair warning:  it is completely appropriate to give honest, objective feedback, whether positive or negative, about your experience with a vendor you discover through KindleBoards.  Please be careful in discussing things, however, to refrain from any personal attacks; and you may NOT re-post any private communications.

In general, agreements between members are at their own risk. . . .as always, we strongly encourage due diligence before selecting a vendor.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline BrianKittrell

• View Profile
    • Late Nite Books
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
That's precisely why I started not charging people until I was sure that their project was deep into the in-progress list when I got backed up in September. The process can take long enough in revisions that it is a burden to have money tied up in it for a while.

Of course, I've never been one to do full cover work to spec. The author must provide the artwork and a general idea of the layout. It's a lot easier to get it right quicker and get everyone happy. I don't see how full-blown cover artists do it.

On topic, never seen the man's work or heard about him, but he could have at least acknowledged receipt of the email.
- Brian Kittrell, Late Nite Books | Twitter | Facebook
|
Coming Soon: Stasis (Panacea #2) | Author pages: Amazon

Offline Maria Hooley

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Maria Rachel Hooley
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
Because of the first thread which detailed the problems I had with Ronnell, I have had at least a handful of people emailing me with such complaints.  I am truly sorry for your frustrations.  I do hope you are able to get your money back.

Offline lewaters

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
So sorry to hear about this. That must be so frustrating. Not only to lose the money but the time you've been waiting. If you've paid via paypal you can file a claim with them. They have a resolution center and might be able to help you.

L.E. Waters

Offline Steve Silkin

• View Profile
    • Books by Steve Silkin
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
Keith, how did you find him? Was he listed on KB? If so, you might ask the moderators to remove the listing.

This is not the first complaint thread about this person.

(The last person who posted here about him had to pose as a "new customer" in order to get a response from the artist.)

Offline MonkishScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
Just a bit of a reminder by way of fair warning:  it is completely appropriate to give honest, objective feedback, whether positive or negative, about your experience with a vendor you discover through KindleBoards.  Please be careful in discussing things, however, to refrain from any personal attacks; and you may NOT re-post any private communications.

In general, agreements between members are at their own risk. . . .as always, we strongly encourage due diligence before selecting a vendor.

Ann, that's exactly what this is. Putting information out there so people can see that there's a habitual scammer at work, burning author after author. No way for the next writer to see what's going on if she can't Google and find stuff like this.

Offline Ian Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »
Yeah, let's spam both here and Ammy forums with the same post, and call someone who's apparently delivered the artwork (which you called 'great'), a 'scammer' because there's such a major difference between an MP-4 and an MP-10.
*rolls eyes*
I hope you pay the same sort of attention to line edits.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
Keith, how did you find him? Was he listed on KB? If so, you might ask the moderators to remove the listing.

This is not the first complaint thread about this person.

(The last person who posted here about him had to pose as a "new customer" in order to get a response from the artist.)

For the record, Ronnell is a member here, though I don't believe he's posted in some time.  He is NOT listed in the Yellow Pages maintained by our Librarian.

Ann, that's exactly what this is. Putting information out there so people can see that there's a habitual scammer at work, burning author after author. No way for the next writer to see what's going on if she can't Google and find stuff like this.

I never said it was anything else. . . .just reminding people to keep it civil.  If it gets nasty the thread will be locked.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Jan Strnad

• Los Angeles CA USA
  • Under the Endeavor
    • View Profile
    • OneLastTime.org
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about your experience with your cover designer!

By way of counterpoint, the "unknown" designer I hired, Shayne Hellerman, has been an absolute joy to work with. Responsive and accommodating, actually delivering more than was promised. I lucked out.

Communication is key. Problems appear out of the mist but they can be addressed if there's communication between designer and client. Compromise is always possible. With communication, you might have found it acceptable to change the gun in your story to an M-10 if the designer couldn't obtain an M-4, but you'd never know without the communication. On the other hand, if it had to be an M-4 and the designer couldn't provide it, that could be a deal breaker and you should learn that up front. If you didn't specify an M-4 in your initial proposal, and that developed as a problem later, a "kill fee" (partial reimbursement) might have been appropriate if this only surfaced as a problem part way through the design process. You might have been able to live with the inconsistency, but your designer wouldn't know that if you couldn't communicate.

Professionalism is called for on both fronts. Ignoring emails is just not acceptable.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:38:58 PM by Jan Strnad »

Providing strange stories to discerning readers since 1972
Jan Strnad | Facebook | Author Page | Website

Offline Shane Murray

• Japan
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experiences.

Sometimes I wish the internet had the ability to punch people in the face.

Offline SunHi Mistwalker

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Sunhi Mistwalker's Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about this. If you're still looking for a designer I highly recommend Keri Knutson http://alchemybookcover.blogspot.com/. She designed my ebook cover for New Hope City http://sunhimistwalker.com/books/new-hope-city/ in only a few days. She was very responsive to my emails and my feedback. I will definitely work with her again.

Take the indie writer demographics survey. http://ow.ly/pLXEv Be Counted!
Website: www.sunhimistwalker.com Available everywhere ebooks are sold.

Offline T.L. Haddix

• Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
Yeah, let's spam both here and Ammy forums with the same post, and call someone who's apparently delivered the artwork (which you called 'great'), a 'scammer' because there's such a major difference between an MP-4 and an MP-10.
*rolls eyes*

Two points - a proof is not a useable copy of the cover. The artist didn't provide the client the services the client wanted. The artist has apparently dropped off the face of the earth. (So, three points.)

Offline NoahMullette-Gillman

• www.luminousandominous.com
    • View Profile
    • Noah Mullette-Gillman
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 07:02:22 PM »

LOL! ROTFL!!!

Farther Than We Dreamed Episode One: Clay now FREE on Amazon! www.fartherthanwedreamed.com
Noah K. Mullette-Gillman | blog | website

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 07:14:44 PM »

See, this would be an example of the sort of posts we don't want. :-\

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline AshMP

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • Visit my author website for information on my books and upcoming event. Visit my blog--a day to day journey in the pursuit publication!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
*rolls eyes*

Truly, truly one of the most unkind things I've seen in a while. 

Scam: defined as a dishonest scheme, fraud.

So, I ask you ... how this is a 'scam' and not a scam.  Because, from where I'm sitting ... I see no miscommunication in the fact that the OP was swindled out of money a la scammed.  However, feel free to disagree, I'm just wondering on what grounds you'd see fit to do so ...

I'd hope you'd remember what a BIG deal our covers are, I'm sure you've felt much the same about your own ... how much time, thought, consideration, imagination and the like goes into those images that grace the front of our books.  They mean a lot ... many of us authors spend months picturing what our covers will look like, I am SHOCKED you would attempt to minimize this experience of shoddy customer service and half-baked work with your callous comments and mockery.   

There is a big enough difference (as a non-gun-girl) between the two guns that, because it was wrong, it should be fixed ... no questions asked.  Period.  End of story. 

Ashley Mackler-Paternostro | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Error404

• Wherever the inspiration leads
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 07:24:58 PM »

Or at least the ability to filter out the bad apples from the good.

Offline ChrisWard

• View Profile
    • A Million Miles from Anywhere
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
I think this is a situation where personal recommendations are very important.  I was recently trying to hunt down a cover artist who ignored numerous emails I sent.  I was recommended a different person by a writer friend and not only did I get a reply within the same day I had a finished cover in a week.  She listened to everything I had to say, offered suggestions and when I asked for something to be changed it was done without complaint.  The final cover looks great, and for the price was a bargain.  That was a company called www.novelprevue.com, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or work with them again.

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
*rolls eyes*

He did not get his finished cover. He paid for a finished cover. He has the right to warn others. This is not an isolated incident. Ronnell has done this many times.

This is not spamming. This is warning others.
Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

Offline Keith McArdle

• View Profile
    • Keith McArdle - Action & Adventure Author
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I only wish I had searched the internet more thoroughly before paying the designer.

Ian,

"Yeah, let's spam both here and Ammy forums with the same post, and call someone who's apparently delivered the artwork (which you called 'great'), a 'scammer' because there's such a major difference between an MP-4 and an MP-10."

There is a vast difference between the M-4 (NOT an MP-4 as you stated) and the MP-10. Size, weight, calibre, M-203 attachment to name but a few. Currently, soldiers in Afghanistan (and at the beginning of the Iraq war) are being engaged by the enemy at up to distances of 1, 000 metres. If you have any idea about weapons, you'll know that even an M-4 is struggling at these distances, never mind an MP-10.

I pay just as much attention to my line edits as I do to the fact the character on the front cover carries the correct weapon.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Keith

Offline Howietzer

• That's THREE baby!!
    • View Profile
    • Idea Forge Publishing
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »

See, this would be an example of the sort of posts we don't want. :-\

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one Ann. I find the post below much more offensive.

*rolls eyes*