KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: Do NOT use Ronnell D. Porter to design your book cover!  (Read 19982 times)  

Offline Craig Halloran

• Entertaining mankind one page at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Darkslayer Report
Re: Do NOT use Ronnell D. Porter to design your book cover!
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
I've used Ronnell on my Zombie series (see below) and he's delivered. I plan on using him to finish this series.

It took some time to get in sync and there was some frustration, but he followed up with me, even though there were some delays.

I don't think he's running a scam.  I find that hard to believe.  There will be times when you will have creative differences on these things
and communication will fall through.  Paying up front is a risk you take.  I've paid up front for many services, and if you don't have a contract,
watch out.  I've been lucky that I haven't got burned, but I haven't always gotten what I thought I paid for either. 

This thread is one thing I like (love) about Kindle boards.  People who provide services on this site know that if they don't follow up everyone will hear
about it.  I've been blessed with all the people I am working with from these boards.  I believe you'll find the best talent here for the best price
compared to anywhere else.  I've saved alot of money by working with all of these entrepeneurs here.

Just my two cents.   8)

Offline Keith McArdle

• View Profile
    • Keith McArdle - Action & Adventure Author
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »
Chris,

Good idea on keeping it positive. I've recently started working with a designer by the name of Najla Qamber. Not only is she extremely professional, she is VERY fast. It's been less than 1 week so far and I have my first proof copy. Absolutely brilliant!

Craig,

I'm glad you had a good experience and that you received what you wanted. There's certainly no doubting that Ronnell's skill is certainly not the problem. Good luck working with him again.

Offline Bleekness

• Newfoundland
    • View Profile
    • www.keithcblackmore.com
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 02:38:51 AM »
I've recently started working with a designer by the name of Najla Qamber.

I can vouch for Naj--she's everything you say. She's done a couple of covers for me and I'm more than happy with her work.

Recent cover:

Keith

Offline Chris Northern

• View Profile
    • forwardviewmirror
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Chris,

Good idea on keeping it positive. I've recently started working with a designer by the name of Najla Qamber. Not only is she extremely professional, she is VERY fast. It's been less than 1 week so far and I have my first proof copy. Absolutely brilliant!

I also happily check to see what Karri Klawiter can offer; she can be found here: http://artbykarri.com/

Author of Fantasy, Urban Fantasy and Science Fiction
Chris Northern | blog | Facebook | Newsletter | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline Judi Coltman

• Each day is an opportunity
    • View Profile
    • Judi Coltman Author Blogger
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
Since we are all chiming in here-- Victorine did my newest cover (see avatar).  She was quick, patient and "Got" what I was looking for.  Her rates are rock bottom and she doesn't ask for payment until the customer is happy.
Words written:63,00074,000Lost Count
Units sold:3,20037,000Stopped Checking
Miles Run:038242

Offline T.L. Haddix

• Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
Just for the record - finding an image of an M4 is not hard. I just spent 30 seconds on our preferred stock image site and found a good number of them that could probably easily be manipulated to the specs needed for the cover. So that cup doesn't hold water.

You make a number of excellent points, Humblenation. The thing I think cover artists need to recognize and remember is that if they're serious about doing this as a business, they either need to learn to manage said business, or find someone who can do that for them. On the business side, there's no room for the artist's ego. Authors don't care if you're a special snowflake or not. They just want you to do a good job for them, deliver on time, and not break the bank doing it.

As to the contention that putting a gun on an action cover is a trope? Yeah, it is. There's a reason for that - it cues the reader in to what type of book they're picking up. Just like romance has people on the cover with some sort of relationship implied, and fantasy has... um, my mind blanked. Fantastical stuff - fairy dust if the book has fairies, I guess. Going out on a limb artistically speaking is great, but not if you're trying to sell a product. You want that product to look new, fresh, innovative - and blend in as much as possible with your biggest competitors, while still standing out enough to grab readers' attention. It's a fine line to walk.

Offline Tiziano

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Tiziano Baracchi
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
One element that may create problems, in my opinion and from experience on several art forums  is the ' artiste maudit' mentality, the idea that artists are somehow 'superior' and detached from 'mere' commercial considerations and that 'art for art's sake' trumps everything else including deadlines and client's requests.

People wanting to work in the book cover businness ought, IMO, keep in mind that a cover is a cooperation between client (art director or writer) and visual artist and the aim is, as it has been said, to make the intended audience pick up the book.

Revisions come with the job, the visual artist should definitely bring his/ her expertise into play ('I see what you are trying to do, I think this could work better because...') but the last words are always the client's, and deadlines are there for a reason and should never be blown ever, that is the kiss of death for a visual artist  in the industry (unless there has been an unforeseen disaster and the artist has warned the client ASAP), and should be the same in the indie market as well.

Most of us are free-lancers, our reputation is what brings in work and unreliable collegues damage everybody.
Free-lance illustrator since 1999, check my gallery:

Offline George Berger

• no longer welcome here
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »
Provenance and availability, hell. Not to start up the idiotic "illustrated covers are for kid's books" debate again, but a lot of things, especially if you have a very specific vision, are more easily produced as illustrations than as photomanipulations. Possibly cheaper, too, given the prices some of the top photomanipulators charge.

Offline T.L. Haddix

• Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
One element that may create problems, in my opinion and from experience on several art forums  is the ' artiste maudit' mentality, the idea that artists are somehow 'superior' and detached from 'mere' commercial considerations and that 'art for art's sake' trumps everything else including deadlines and client's requests.

People wanting to work in the book cover businness ought, IMO, keep in mind that a cover is a cooperation between client (art director or writer) and visual artist and the aim is, as it has been said, to make the intended audience pick up the book.

Revisions come with the job, the visual artist should definitely bring his/ her expertise into play ('I see what you are trying to do, I think this could work better because...') but the last words are always the client's, and deadlines are there for a reason and should never be blown ever, that is the kiss of death for a visual artist  in the industry (unless there has been an unforeseen disaster and the artist has warned the client ASAP), and should be the same in the indie market as well.

Most of us are free-lancers, our reputation is what brings in work and unreliable collegues damage everybody.

THIS! Oh, this. We were part of a group a few years back where this argument came up on a very regular basis, got quite heated, and got us all absolutely nowhere. Coming from the perspective of art being important, sure - the integrity of the art is number one. But from a business perspective? If the client can't use the work they've paid for, screw the art and the artists' integrity. The finished product (and that is what it is, a product) does no one any good except the artist and his/her ego. Continuing to operate in that mentality does not bring you clients, it does gain you a reputation as a diva, and pretty soon, the quality of your art is a moot point. That's something we could never convince certain members of this group, and we moved on. It was a bit more complicated than that, but it was a small deciding factor.

Offline Greer

• View Profile
    • GreerHartley.com
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »
One element that may create problems, in my opinion and from experience on several art forums  is the ' artiste maudit' mentality, the idea that artists are somehow 'superior' and detached from 'mere' commercial considerations and that 'art for art's sake' trumps everything else including deadlines and client's requests.

THIS! Oh, this. We were part of a group a few years back where this argument came up on a very regular basis, got quite heated, and got us all absolutely nowhere. Coming from the perspective of art being important, sure - the integrity of the art is number one. But from a business perspective? If the client can't use the work they've paid for, screw the art and the artists' integrity. The finished product (and that is what it is, a product) does no one any good except the artist and his/her ego. Continuing to operate in that mentality does not bring you clients, it does gain you a reputation as a diva, and pretty soon, the quality of your art is a moot point. That's something we could never convince certain members of this group, and we moved on. It was a bit more complicated than that, but it was a small deciding factor.

This is so very true. It doesn't matter how beautiful the artwork, or how great the artist - if a customer can't use, or never gets, the art that they paid for, it doesn't do them any good at all.

And every time an artist pulls the diva act, or another artist defends diva behavior as being okay because artists are special, it tends to tar all artists with the same brush, and make us look like unreliable flakes who can't be counted on to deliver the product we promised.

Offline Keith McArdle

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
Well, it turns out that Paypal can't and won't do anything, as the dispute I tried to raise is outside the 45 day deadline. The reason I waited so long (with my persistent e-mails being ignored, I might add) was to give Ronnell D. Porter the benefit of the doubt. So I try to do the right thing, and I get punished for it. I have no protection whatsoever and Porter is running to the bank laughing. I am mightily p*ssed off and am seriously considering boycotting Pay Pal altogether.

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »
Sheesh...I will be sure to avoid him like the plague.  What a nightmare.
The new thriller TEXT is available now!

Offline Keith McArdle

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
Humblenations,

Thank you very much for that bit of information, I hadn't considered that, and will certainly look into it.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
Humblenations,

Thank you very much for that bit of information, I hadn't considered that, and will certainly look into it.

I tried this once with American Express when stiffed on an online purchase (though not one using PayPal). AmEx was very willing to refund the charge to me and go after the vendor instead. It was quite satisfying.

Hope it works for you!

Offline EthanRussellErway

• Dewey, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Ethan Russell Erway
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »
Something like this would frustrate the heck out of me.  I want people to be at my immediate beck and call when I commission their services, having to send 15 emails to even get a reply would drive me nuts.  Thanks for taking the time to put this kind of warning out there.  It's a shame that it has to be done.

Offline trublue

• Hollywood
    • View Profile
    • Marcusandemmy
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2012, 03:15:50 AM »
Wow! Glad I found this thread. It's so sad because I LOVE his sample covers.
I won't use him because money is tight. So when I pay for something I can't afford
To give it to anyone even half way unprofessional. Anyone know someone in Ronnell
Rank who doesn't have a whole thread of not so happy writers? Inbox me:)

The only way to save the world is to stay away from the girl he loves...

Offline Keith McArdle

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »
Humblenations,

To be honest, I had forgotten about this thread, so just a quick update. After your suggestion, I did contact Pay Pal and attempted to claim my money back without success.

Just clarify to every person who reads this, unless the item purchased is physical and tangible, Pay Pal will NOT cover it, not even within the 45 day time limit.

I contacted my bank and attempted to claim my money back that way, but again, was unsuccessful.

A friendly warning. If you decide to use Ronnell D. Porter to design your cover, be VERY careful.

Offline HAGrant

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2013, 03:49:21 AM »
Google says Ronnell Porter lives in Colorado.

The government office in the link below is set up to help Colorado consumers. However, you could ask if they could suggest anything you can do as a resident in another area to get your money back from someone doing business in Colorado. I once contacted the branch of that office in my state and they solved my problem.

http://www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/departments/consumer_protection

This link has their email and phone:

https://www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/consumer_questions/2

ETA one more place that deals with fraud:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber/cyber

Complaint form for fraud:

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

They deal with all types of internet crime, including fraud. They have a complaint form that asks what you paid, etc. Again, they might not be able to get your money back, but contacting them is free. The complaint forms says:

The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant. We can best process your complaint if we receive accurate and complete information from you. Therefore, we request that you provide the following information when filing a complaint:
Your name
Your mailing address
Your telephone number
The name, address, telephone number, and Web address, if available, of the individual or organization you believe defrauded you.
Specific details on how, why, and when you believe you were defrauded.
Any other relevant information you believe is necessary to support your complaint.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:05:52 AM by HAGrant »

Offline matthewturner

• England
    • View Profile
    • Turndog Millionaire
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2013, 04:11:13 AM »
This is really bad. You've done well being so patient. I'd have been fuming long before now
Storyteller, Reader & Coffee Loving Fiend

My debut novel, BEYOND PARALLEL is now out. The other book, Tales From A Tiny Thai Table is the free short prequel set the night before.

l      l   HELP FUND MY KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN >>> http://kck.st/168o1HG

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2013, 08:06:13 AM »
Folks, there are two separate conversations going on in the recent posts to this thread, and one is only peripherally related to the thread subject.  I'm going to split off the pricing discussion that Ven started...

Thanks,  Locking while I do so....back in a sec.

OK, if you want to continue the pricing discussion that Ven started, that is here:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,140460.0.html

Otherwise, this thread is for members handling issues with Ronnel Porter.  (Sorry to hear that this is ongoing...)

Betsy
KB Moderator
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:16:44 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Maud Muller

• Bradenton, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Author Maud Muller
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
Of course, I can't address the experiences of other authors, but I have absolutely no complaint with Ronnell Porter. He designed the cover for my new novel A Monster's Game. If there was a problem during the process it was me and not him. I just couldn't make up my mind what image I wanted to convey. After he designed the first cover and made several changes that I requested, he offered to start over with a completely new design if I wasn't satisfied. Throughout the process he was polite, professional, creative and responsive. Thus I will probably have him design my next cover as well.

Offline bluewaterk

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »
I can't speak for others, but my experience with Ronnel has been pleasant. He has delivered three book covers, all but one in a timely fashion. I am very pleased with his imagination and with his work.

Offline Mike_Author

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 06:27:35 PM »
Yeah, let's spam both here and Ammy forums with the same post, and call someone who's apparently delivered the artwork (which you called 'great'), a 'scammer' because there's such a major difference between an MP-4 and an MP-10.
*rolls eyes*
I hope you pay the same sort of attention to line edits.

These are the kinds of posts that make me wish this forum had a "disagree" button like some of the other ones I visit...

1. The cover artist could have delivered the Mona Lisa, however if it is not accurate considering the story line, it is unusable, irrespective of the quality

2. The "scamminess" is not particularly linked to the artwork, but the communication.  Providing a product that is not what was asked for and then going to ground, not answering email, is the very definition of scammy.  Not answering emails from aggrieved customers is the very thing that gets scammers out of bed each morning.

The only possible way this episode changes flavour is if there was no specific instruction around the type of gun to be depicted.  If a client said "she needs to be holding a semi-automatic" and I experienced the above episode, I would have grounds to tell the client where to go. 

Offline Mike_Author

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 06:38:11 PM »
I can't speak for others, but my experience with Ronnel has been pleasant. He has delivered three book covers, all but one in a timely fashion. I am very pleased with his imagination and with his work.

Hang on...I just realised this is a 2 year old thread.

You registered with Kboards to revive a 2 year old thread?

Hmmm...ok

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2015, 06:55:22 PM »
Well, actually, the last post was about a year ago.  Folks, I recommend anyone interested in having Ronnell Porter do artwork read through the entire thread before deciding.  And do an internet search before considering any cover artist or other service provider.

Betsy
KB Mod

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:57:23 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store