mblart

Author Topic: Testing out the Paperwhite  (Read 19926 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Testing out the Paperwhite
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
I got mine, its still in the box. I am afraid to open it  :D

Oh dear  :P

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »
Darn  :(

Everything looks so nice, even lighting, its fast etc. But on the bottom left there is what looks like a pixel that is lit from behind. Like a tiny beam. I thought it was a speck, but its not.  :(

Its very tiny and right above where it shows the location. It starts being noticeable starting at light 13 and above.

I just don't know what to do now. I have a very very bad history with getting replacements from Amazon easy. Long story, but I don't do well on phones. At all. And everything else on it is just perfect it seems. Light totally even across besides some very light shadows on the bottom.

When I turn the light at 12 it doesn't even look like a light. Really hard to describe, but it just makes the backround look much lighter compared to my K3. At 12 it is totally even. I can't see the bright spot either. But anything above, I can see it.

Outside in bright sun on 12 it looks almost white, but not blindingly so. I have very light sensitive eyes.

But beside that one small prick, the screen is very even on mine.

Now what do I do.  :(

Offline canyonblue737

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
That is a dust speck. Believe it or not all the light shining on the screen is coming from the glass you touch. It actual shines DOWN onto the screen rather than from below like on a cellphone or computer screen. Something is making that spot glint when the light is shining on it.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »
Nope, not a dust speck. Won't come off and it gets brighter and brighter the higher I turn the light on.

Or are you saying there is a speck under the screen. This is so upsetting as the rest is so even. I just don't know if this will drive me nuts. And I don't know if they would even replace. Just the thought of having to call is making me ill.  :(

I am still amazed at how this does not look like a light when in medium light setting. I have no shadows on the bottom at 12-14, just one even light background screen. It looks like e-ink. I would keep the light on 12 for every day use during the day. Don't know yet at night, I'll have to try later when I am sitting at the sofa.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:30:42 PM by Atunah »

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
I'm the one with the issues between the two Kindle's but I have to defend the design for a second... the bottom 1/8th IS GOING TO HAVE AREAS of shadow and light because of the design. There are 4 lights evenly spaced across the screen on the bottom and they shine upward creating 4 areas of extra bright and 4 areas of extra shadow across that whole bottom area. So 8 splotches if you will but these areas only extend up about 1/8th of the screen, into the "time remaining and page number / location" area but NOT the actual text of a book. On the main menu this area is the zone where the AD sits so again is not a critical area. Above this area the lighting should be even and IS on one of my Paperwhite's but on the other is much dimmer overall and skews to a pink tint instead of the much nicer white/blue I have on my good Paperwhite.

The nature of the design will create the bottom spot lighting. On the Nook Glowlight it is even more pronounced and at the top vs. bottom since they located the lights on top. It will be another generation or more until it gets better but for now putting the "spotty" area in the very bottom and out of the way of text makes it pretty reasonable. You don't notice it in a super bright room or in sunlight because of course the sunlight or room lighting brightens the whole screen including the shadow zones.

Thanks for the clarification.  I understand what you're saying and it makes sense.  I just think maybe they shouldn't have said so much about how even the lighting is.  It's not.  Not only is it obvious on those 4 bottom LED's, but I have a very bright one on the left hand side near the bottom that is glowing brightly.  I'm not saying I could never get use to it, but the first thing I thought when I saw the screen was, "wow, that's not evenly lighted like they said".
Linda

Offline canyonblue737

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
Nope, not a dust speck. Won't come off and it gets brighter and brighter the higher I turn the light on.

Or are you saying there is a speck under the screen. This is so upsetting as the rest is so even. I just don't know if this will drive me nuts. And I don't know if they would even replace. Just the thought of having to call is making me ill.  :(

That's exactly what I am saying. The screen is three layers. The bottom most layer is the e-ink. Then comes the touch layer. Finally comes the light guide layer that shines light down on the previous two. They layer these like a sandwich. If dust gets between one of the layers this causes what you are seeing. Either you live with it or need a new kindle, they can't ever unlayer the screen.

Offline coldwarunicorn

• Washington, DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »

My guess would be a flaw in the "fiber optic" type outer layer where, for some reason, there's a higher concentration of "holes" than there should be in that portion of the screen. Seems like a legit defect to me, just a matter of how much it's going to bother you.

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »
I'll be intersted to see what it can do with a full charge and no wifi.

I'm used to keeping wifi off to extend battery life but that doesn't seem to be an easy option on the pw.

Online GBear

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
I'm used to keeping wifi off to extend battery life but that doesn't seem to be an easy option on the pw.

Why not?

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
Why not?
There's no menu option to turn off and on as there was in previous Kindles.

Offline telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 03:28:13 PM »
There's no menu option to turn off and on as there was in previous Kindles.

yes there is.  it's called airplane mode. tap on the menu, then go to settings.  then turn airplane mode ON.  that turns off your wi-fi and in my case, my 3G.

Offline coldwarunicorn

• Washington, DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
I just got my PW this afternoon, thankfully I work pretty close to my house, so I ran home - picked it up and managed to clock in about 1.5 hours reading so far.  ;D

My impressions so far:
-The screen: great. Even with the backlight off the display still appears much brighter than my KT. The light is evenly distributed aside from some light shadowing at the very, very bottom of the display - but the portion of the display containing text is fully and evenly distributed. When I was walking back to my car, I got a bit worried the LEDs were very, very cool - but after a very scientific test of reading in my closet - I determined it's just about the perfect temperature of lighting for comfortable reading.
-Software: so far I have one annoyance - some (very few!) of my books... the spacing between letters is off on the PW. I've played around with font sizes, line spacing, margins, fonts - nothing seems to fix it and these titles look fine on my KT. It's by no means unreadable, I just don't like having such large gaps between words, I guess it seems wasteful - even on an e-ink display.  :D I love the new setup where I can browse through covers easily on my device and on my cloud - definitely much easier to access than on my KT. The menu setup is very intuitive and I really prefer it to the KT - it just looks and feels a bit neater. The time left in chapter/book is amusing at this point - since my poor PW seems rather confused by me starting mid-book - earlier it was estimating I had 20 minutes of reading left with 150 pages remaining - I wish! It improved after spending a bit more time with it and I suspect that it's going to become a pretty useful tool in the future.
-The touch screen: the KT was my first and only Kindle... I'm pretty young and very used to dealing with touch screen interfaces at this point (iphone and heavy ipad user)... and I honestly never had an issue with the touch screen - it was a little slow and clunky at times - but I attribute that to limitations on the display and hardware. The PW is VASTLY improved over the previous generation - everything is, thus far, smooth and snappy in comparison. Sure, it's no where near an ipad or iphone, but it's pretty amazing for an e-reader and it gets the job done well considering most of your tapping will be page turns. ;D

Offline LuvHorses

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »
Lighting doesn't turn off, just at a very low setting

Offline Broadus

• Clinton, SC
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Commentary
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
Okay, so I was feeling a little bummed yesterday when the PW came and I saw the shadows. I'm tell you, go right now and sit in your closet. Turn it on and then be amazed. After last night I'm in love. Before, well I was wondering if I shouldn't have just bought a Fire.

Thanks for your review and updates, Bethany. I've seriously considered canceling my PW and order a Fire HD. Actually, I had tried to cancel the PW order but Amazon keeps saying their having website issues. I can't imagine why.  ;)

But I wish I could see them side-by-side to compare the displays for reading.

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
Atunah - Don't forget you have 30 days to try it out. Read on it for a week or two and see if the bright pixel drives you nuts. If it does, send it back - after a couple of weeks the heavy traffic may have slowed down and you'll have a better return experience.

Broadus - I just received my Fire HD a week ago. It's pretty good for reading, but I read several hours at a time during the day and a couple of times I've gotten a low battery notice. I have a K3, but am seriously considering getting a PW so I down't run out of power while reading.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:37:45 PM by HappyGuy »
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
Can you change from cover view to just text view when looking at your books? I thought I read somewhere there is an option. I think most of the time I am better off with title and author in text, rather than a cover where the title might be really really small.

I am glad you commented on how the light works for you at night reading. Glad you could read for 2 hours and not be bothered by it.

Yes. . . .it's an easy option from the menu.  And the list view, I find, is even nicer than on current kindles.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
do you think it would be easy to remove from the cover with one hand?

No. . . it fits pretty snuggly.  No way I could do it with one hand. Not sure I could even do it with two unless I had some sort of tool to pry it off.  It's definitely meant to go into the cover and stay there.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
Does the light distribute nice and evenly across the screen?

I am so exited to get mine today. It will be quite an adjustment going from my Keyboard to a touch surface.

I think so.  I think it's remarkably even. . . . I'm really impressed.  It works exactly as described as far as I'm concerned.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
I got mine!

When I open the cover, the Kindle turns on. When I close it, it turns off. I don't get any "swipe to turn on" screen.

As far as collections disappearing - are you sorting by collections (use the drop-down on the home screen).

I turned off cover view for now. I don't like the relatively low-res B&W covers. It's different on the Kindle app on my 10" tablet. They look better there. I prefer the simple list for now.

It seems like if there are SO's on the Kindle, the swipe is there.  Because you could also tap the 'shop now' button instead to go straight to the offer.  The swipe lets you go home.  But I think Heather bought out and the swipe went away.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
Atunah - Don't forget you have 30 days to try it out. Read on it for a week or two and see if the bright pixel drives you nuts. If it does, send it back - after a couple of weeks the heavy traffic may have slowed down and you'll have a better return experience.

Yes. I am not going to worry and drive myself nuts. I'll give it until Monday, if it still bothers me I'll call.

I have been reading some more and I still have no issues with my eyes. I am very very sensitive and its not bothering me at all. I am still at around 13-17 and that seems to be my comfort zone. Its dark now and I only have a sofa lamp on and the TV right now. Before I would have to lean to the right with my K3 to get some light.
I can sit straight now  ;D
So the worries I had with my light sensitive eyes are gone.

As its getting darker, its the only time I can see the slightly darker areas on the bottom. But they don't bother me at all. Just very slight. The rest of screen is even.

One other thing I was worried about was the touch screen. I skipped the Touch and was still using my K3. I am amazed at how quickly I got used to it. It is very intuitive and reacts perfectly. There was no adjustment.

I am also finding I am not missing the page button at all. Shocker  :o :o.

I don't even have a cover yet, its on order. Its a tad harder to hold for me because I don't have a lot of area to do so without the keyboard, but its not bad. It will be perfect with the cover.

The menus and everything is so user friendly laid out. I haven't even noticed the "ads". Only when I wake it up quick. I don't even notice the one on the bottom at all. Blends right in.

I am very impressed with the PW.

Oh and I love the new fonts. Palatino is my favorite right now. I was using cecilia condensed on my K3. I prefer serif fonts. Baskerville is also very nice, but a little more stretched out across the page. Actually baskerville looks a lot like a trad paperback I have from the Library, a chicago vampire novel by Chloe Neill. Those 2 will be my go to fonts.

Offline telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 09:37:19 PM »
i thought i was going to hate the touch, but i've found a one handed way to hold it that's actually working quite well for me, since you can pretty much tap anywhere on the screen to go to the next page. 

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 04:42:33 AM »
I received my PW and case yesterday.  I LOVE IT!!!  But.......  I feel a bit weird saying this but when compared, side by side to my Touch, the letters are darker and sharper on the Touch!  I really wasn't expecting this at all.  Paler and a bit fuzzy won't do.  The darkness seems to be a bit splotchy and I was going to say it is lighter at the bottom of the screen but with the light turned down, it is actually DARKER at the bottom of the screen.  Weird! 

Mostly I'm posting this to see if anyone else has this problem.  From the things I read, everyone was saying how sharp and clear the letters are.  So maybe this is another bad unit. 

Another thing and this isn't a defect, it just is the PW compared to the Touch, I usually use 4 font setting on the Touch.  I have really bad eyes.  With the PW, I am using 5 and it is still a bit smaller. :(

As others have said, I will keep it, read on it for a few days and then call and see what my options are.  I will be soooo disappointed if this is normal.   :'(

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2012, 04:54:01 AM »
Vicki, I have noticed that I can't get the same font size on the PW that I'm used to reading on my K4, so you're not crazy!   ;D
Linda

Offline tiggeerrific

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »
I received mine late last night I got the case in the morning and ups forgot to leave my kindle so it road in the truck all day! Nerve racking
I love my k3 and I never had a touch anything not even a phone. so I was nervous but I have to say I love it!! Very easy to use love the light at night I also will be using the light during the day as when the light is all the way down the screen is to dark for me.
The only complaint I have is the font I am reading at 6 and 7  is huge. They needed a  font in between 6&7 . I am hoping my eyes adjust to the smaller font becuase I love the PW
I also like the case the kindle fits nice and snug feels good in the hands and love the wake up and shut down when closes & opening the cover

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 05:01:20 AM »
Did you get the Amazon cover also? One thing I'm wondering about - I saw a video where, to turn the kindle on (wake it up), you have to press the power button AND then swipe the screen. Why would they add an extra step? The covers are supposed to wake the kindle up automatically when you open the cover. But maybe they only do the equivalent of pressing the power button and you still have to swipe? If so, it makes the whole "cover automatically wakes your kindle" seem a little bit... dishonest. I guess they want you to see the ad even if you're using the "auto-wake" cover...

Not a biggie, just a little... un-ideal.

If you are using the Amazon cover, you do NOT have to both press the power button and swipe, even if you previously used the power button to put the PW to sleep before closing the cover.

If you have a SO Kindle, opening the cover wakes up the Kindle so that you only have to swipe to get to your content.  You don't have to separately wake it up.  I see nothing dishonest. This is a huge improvement to me; I always found having to press the power button to wake the thing up very awkward, perhaps because I have big fingers.  ;)  This takes a split second and is a very natural motion.  I can do it without looking.  :D

If you don't want to see the ads, don't buy a SO Kindle.  Or buy out of them.

Vicki, I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison of the PW and the Touch....and it sounds like you have a bad device, to me....I would call Kindle CS (Amazon US customers inside the US: 1-866-321-8851, outside the US: 1-206-266-0927.  Other customers, see here. )

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store