Author Topic: Testing out the Paperwhite  (Read 19904 times)  

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Testing out the Paperwhite
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »
Thanks, Betsy.  It will be interesting to hear what you find.  And the more I look at it, the more I'm hoping it is a bad unit and it will get swapped out.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 05:59:53 AM »
Another thing and this isn't a defect, it just is the PW compared to the Touch, I usually use 4 font setting on the Touch.  I have really bad eyes.  With the PW, I am using 5 and it is still a bit smaller. :(

Yeah. . .the font sizes are slightly smaller than on previous kindles.  I noticed the same thing between the original Fire and the Fire HD.  I'm thinking it's because they really didn't change the coding, but now there are more pixels.  Similar to what happens if you change the resolution on your computer monitor.  I find 4 is akin to 3 on my K4.

I've not decided on a font style yet. . . . the closest one to the K4 regular is Caecilia.  I'm giving Palatina a try for now. . . .with that I can use the closest line spacing where as on the K4 I'd been using the middle section.  I kind of think, for me, it's just going to be a matter of getting used to something which I don't expect to take too long at all.  I really already am. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »
  I feel a bit weird saying this but when compared, side by side to my Touch, the letters are darker and sharper on the Touch! 

I have the same impression, Vicki.  I used sans serif on the Touch and am using Helvetica on the PW. On the Touch, the 5th largest sans serif is almost identical to the sixth largest Helvetica.  However, the sans serif gave the impression of being a bold print so it does seem darker.  When I dial down the power on the PW to equivalent back color, there really isn't much difference.  I guess it is just a matter of reality meeting expectations.   ::) 

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 06:34:57 AM »
Yeah. . .the font sizes are slightly smaller than on previous kindles.  I noticed the same thing between the original Fire and the Fire HD.  I'm thinking it's because they really didn't change the coding, but now there are more pixels.  Similar to what happens if you change the resolution on your computer monitor.  I find 4 is akin to 3 on my K4.

You know....I am waiting for my PW and still using my K3 (keyboard) but I purchased two new titles from amazon that were just released on Tuesday and the font in both of them was smaller than normal. I had to increase the size, although just one size larger was actually a little too large for me. I wonder if this was just a coincidence, or if amazon has changed something in the book itself or in the software that is going to affect the size even in the older kindles? Again, I've only experienced this with brand new titles that have been released this week.

Offline tiggeerrific

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
I have been playing with it trying to get it  better. I have changed the font,light, line spaces and I think I found the right set-up for me
My k3 and this one the fonts were so different that you have to play around to get the right adjustment

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
  • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 07:14:12 AM »
You know....I am waiting for my PW and still using my K3 (keyboard) but I purchased two new titles from amazon that were just released on Tuesday and the font in both of them was smaller than normal. I had to increase the size, although just one size larger was actually a little too large for me. I wonder if this was just a coincidence, or if amazon has changed something in the book itself or in the software that is going to affect the size even in the older kindles? Again, I've only experienced this with brand new titles that have been released this week.

It might have to do with the KF8 format. Both line spacing and font seem a little different. If the books don't have DRM, you can use Calibre to convert from KF8 to mobi and everything goes back to normal.

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
I have the same impression, Vicki.  I used sans serif on the Touch and am using Helvetica on the PW. On the Touch, the 5th largest sans serif is almost identical to the sixth largest Helvetica.  However, the sans serif gave the impression of being a bold print so it does seem darker.  When I dial down the power on the PW to equivalent back color, there really isn't much difference.  I guess it is just a matter of reality meeting expectations.   ::) 

So Susan, do you feel it is a defective display?  Or are we expecting too much?  Because when the ads say 62% more pixels but my fonts are fuzzy looking, I'm wondering if I have completely lost my mind.   ;D

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:33 AM »
So Susan, do you feel it is a defective display?  Or are we expecting too much?  Because when the ads say 62% more pixels but my fonts are fuzzy looking, I'm wondering if I have completely lost my mind.   ;D

I don't think my display is defective.  There may be more pixels but the sharpness of that increase may be offset by the lighter font.   ???   

Offline tiggeerrific

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »
For those having trouble with Ghosting go to settings and towards the bottom you will see refresh click that and than set it to refresh -it made a huge differnce on my pw

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »
For those having trouble with Ghosting go to settings and towards the bottom you will see refresh click that and than set it to refresh -it made a huge differnce on my pw

Specifically: from Home, Settings and Reading options.  One of the reading options is 'page refresh' which you can toggle off and on.

Incidentally, that's the same area where you can switch so it doesn't show the popular highlights and public notes.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »
I don't think my display is defective.  There may be more pixels but the sharpness of that increase may be offset by the lighter font.   ???   

There might be something about the additional layer of glass on top of the eInk layer, too...

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Vicki G.

• Houston, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »

I need to play with it when time permits, trying out different fonts, sizes, etc.  Normally I just use the regular font, what is that?  Something that starts with a C.  (Don't have the PW with me right now, it's home charging and finishing up indexing another 235 books.)  I downloaded 450 books yesterday PLUS Collections (which went like a dream) and so the little guy deserves a break and extra energy for indexing.  And during that time, I may make a call to Kindle Tech CS and see what they have to say. 

I read some time ago about "fuzziness" issues with the Nook Glow and thought that wouldn't do for me...  shades of the Kindle 2!!!  WHERE ARE THE HACKERS WHEN WE NEED THEM!!!  LOL

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
  • 2015 Paperwhite | Kindle Keyboard | Fire HD6 & HD8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »

It sounds like your Kindle Keyboard may be upgraded to the latest firmware version 3.4. You can check by pressing Menu and then Settings. The version number is in the bottom right corner. The 3.4 upgrade brought the new KF8 format to the Kindle Keyboard (before that it used Amazon's version of the .mobi format). Unfortunately, when publishers specify font size in the file they upload to Amazon, the font often comes out too small in KF8.
| Paperbacks | (golf e-books also available at Barnes & Noble, iBooks & Kobo)
FREE borrows for Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Prime KOLL >>> Dust Bowl Justice | Lotto: Blood Money | The Diamond Traitor

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »
It sounds like your Kindle Keyboard may be upgraded to the latest firmware version 3.4. You can check by pressing Menu and then Settings. The version number is in the bottom right corner. The 3.4 upgrade brought the new KF8 format to the Kindle Keyboard (before that it used Amazon's version of the .mobi format). Unfortunately, when publishers specify font size in the file they upload to Amazon, the font often comes out too small in KF8.

Ack. I do have the latest version. I wasn't aware of this problem with the KF8 format. Do you think this will eventually iron itself out when publishers become more familiar with KF8?

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
  • 2015 Paperwhite | Kindle Keyboard | Fire HD6 & HD8
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
Ack. I do have the latest version. I wasn't aware of this problem with the KF8 format. Do you think this will eventually iron itself out when publishers become more familiar with KF8?

I hope so! If you have a way to contact the author/publisher, I would suggest doing that because they're probably not aware of the issue. If the book is DRM-free (it'll say "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" under Product Details on the ebook's Amazon product page), you could convert it to .mobi format using Calibre as Eltanin suggested.

You can also report the problem to Amazon. There's a selection under Feedback on the bottom of the product page titled "Would you like to report poor quality or formatting in this book?" They'll usually contact the publisher/author and have them fix the problem. However, once the problem is fixed, it may take some time for the corrected version to be made available to previous purchasers (up to a month, I've been told). :(

Here's a link to a Kindle Boards thread that discussed the problem: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,119012.0.html. KB member kiazishiru has a link in her signature area that may be helpful to authors/publishers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:15:49 PM by DreamWeaver »
| Paperbacks | (golf e-books also available at Barnes & Noble, iBooks & Kobo)
FREE borrows for Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Prime KOLL >>> Dust Bowl Justice | Lotto: Blood Money | The Diamond Traitor

Offline w5jck

• Arlington, TX
  • Amateur radio, W5JCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 11:55:36 AM »
I received my PW and case yesterday.  I LOVE IT!!!  But.......  I feel a bit weird saying this but when compared, side by side to my Touch, the letters are darker and sharper on the Touch!  I really wasn't expecting this at all.  Paler and a bit fuzzy won't do.  The darkness seems to be a bit splotchy and I was going to say it is lighter at the bottom of the screen but with the light turned down, it is actually DARKER at the bottom of the screen.  Weird! 

Mostly I'm posting this to see if anyone else has this problem.  From the things I read, everyone was saying how sharp and clear the letters are.  So maybe this is another bad unit. 

Another thing and this isn't a defect, it just is the PW compared to the Touch, I usually use 4 font setting on the Touch.  I have really bad eyes.  With the PW, I am using 5 and it is still a bit smaller. :(

As others have said, I will keep it, read on it for a few days and then call and see what my options are.  I will be soooo disappointed if this is normal.   :'(

My Touch has much better font display than my PW, but I've got one of the bad PWs.

The PW has a different resolution screen than the Touch and this probably explains the difference in font sizes. I use size 3 on my Touch but have to use size 4 on my PW and it is still a bit smaller than I like, but using size 5 is too big.
Jack

Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »
There might be something about the additional layer of glass on top of the eInk layer, too...

Betsy

I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »

I don't think it's a problem with the format, per se.  More that the publishers are not applying it correctly.  But, as you say, they will learn. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline jheydt

• The Villages, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »
I noticed something today.  Depending on where I am in the house and the lighting there are times when there are darker areas on the screen like a small cloud.  You have to look for it but it's there.  However, when I move to another room with different lighting it's not there anymore.  I don't think that my PW is defective but I just wonder whether anyone else has noticed the same thing.  Right now in my den with a light on in the corner I don't see it anymore.  Strange!!!! My brightness right now is 16.

John

Offline canyonblue737

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2012, 04:54:21 AM »
That's totally normal. When you see the light and shadow pattern at the bottom that means the primary light source on the screen is the LED lights, like in a dim or dark room. As you walk into a bright room or sunlit environment those lights, not the LEDs, are evenly washing over the screen and the shadows disappear.

Offline Broadus

• Clinton, SC
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Commentary
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »
That will be the selling point for next year's Kindle: The All-New Kindle Paperwhite with Even Bottom Lighting! Okay, perhaps it will be worded a bit more elegantly.  :)

Offline Book Cottage Blogger

• View Profile
    • Book Cottage Blog
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2012, 05:18:33 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is a link that explains how to take a screen shot with the Paperwhite.

http://www.thekindlechronicles.com/2012/10/06/how-to-make-a-screenshot-with-kindle-paperwhite/

I haven't received mine yet, it's due around the 24th, but thought it might be helpful for those explaining the screen issues.

I'm still not sure I'm as excited about getting mine now - only time will tell if I get a "defective" version. I did buy a cover and a charger that I can return if I'm unhappy with the PW, but does anyone know if I can "return" the 2 yr warranty I purchased as well?

Offline w5jck

• Arlington, TX
  • Amateur radio, W5JCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2012, 08:47:51 AM »
A few of us are now seeing a remarkable improvement of our defective PWs. I reboxed mine after receiving the replacement and let it sit for 2 or 3 days without looking at it. Someone mentioned that their PW seemed to be improving so I pulled mine out of the box and looked at it. It now looks almost as good as my replacement whereas a few days ago it looked horrible. In side by side comparisons a few days ago one was obviously dark, shadowy and blotchy all over, and text looked washed out. The other looked good. Now in side by side comparisons it is difficult to tell them apart.

I've read some theories that state chemicals are applied to the PW (more specifically the screen to make it capacitive) during manufacturing. These chemicals might not be allowed to cure properly before they place the PW in that airtight (or nearly airtight) plastic bag. With air circulation prevented, it might be possible that chemical reactions are occurring which can cause the screen to be temporarily dark, cloudy, blotchy, etc. Once we get the PW we remove the airtight bag and over several days the PW screen is able to cure more thoroughly and thus the issues go away or at least improve. This is just speculation though.

I recommend that anyone who gets (or got) a PW with a bad looking screen allow it to have a few days or several days to correct itself. It might not, but some have. I received my defective PW on Oct 2 and the screen still looked bad on Oct 5 when the replacement arrived. But now on Oct 7 it looks good. So it took mine between 3 and 5 days to improve.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:50:32 AM by w5jck »
Jack

Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire

Offline Broadus

• Clinton, SC
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Commentary
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
Jack, there may be something to that. Actually, my screen looked worse last night. Today, at full brightness it looks some splotchy, kind of blueish-green. I'm going to keep it at full brightness for a while and see what happens.

iPhones and iPads have had similar issues, and running them for a few days has helped cure the glue or whatever. At least that's been widely reported.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
I always advise that decisions shouldn't be made on minimal data.  You have 30 days to return it for a full refund, less return shipping, so use it!  What seems odd when you first get it -- when, arguably, you really don't have a goo idea what to expect -- might become normal and even preferred.  Or, as has been suggested, the device can settle in as it's used and you'll find it improves with use.  Like a well used baseball glove, for example. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)