Author Topic: Kindle Paperwhite reader reviews  (Read 8870 times)  

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
Kindle Paperwhite reader reviews
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
I thought of posting this in the First Impressions -- Kindle PW thread, but I think there could be a place for Kindle PW reviews, so let me start the thread off. Others can then add their experiences. :) I think we are starting to see people having had their devices for a couple of weeks now.

Last week I wrote my lenghty first impressions on Kindle Paperwhite, here:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,128453.msg1910248.html#msg1910248

And here:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,128453.msg1911904.html#msg1911904

This is a continuation of those posts. Now it is time for the final verdict.

So, after a week of reading on the Paperwhite, I think my verdict is in. As per first impressions, device performance has been excellent, the new Amazon leather case still is and feels absolutely gorgeous, and despite my pre-order concerns I love the touch interface. Reading a book is very easy, with a very natural soft touch or swipe in one corner of the page, sometimes lazily, barely touching the screen... Touch works really well for reading. Also, the virtual keyboard is a better keyboard than my Kindle 2 or 3 physical keyboards, the best I've tried on a Kindle. Not to mention the beautiful book covers on the home page and the useful book suggestions on the bottom, which you can just touch to get to. I'd like some additional configurability regarding touch zones, showing page numbers by default, rotating screen more freely and whatnot, but overall the first impressions regarding all this have remained. It is still, as I felt then. Good.

The jury was out on the screen, though. And the verdict is now in. Not good. The thing is, my use case is simple and unwavering: I read in the dark. Pitch dark, most of the time. Bed-time kind of reading. Also, I can't stand reading books on tablets or other backlit LCD devices, I love the purity of the e-ink and it is the number one reason I got into e-reading years ago. And the Paperwhite simply isn't delivering here. I can safely say after one week, no, it is really isn't. Not for me, that is - others will feel differently of course and I'm not trying to put any words into their mouths. Let me try to spell out the different issues one by one, there are several.

E-ink purity:

First is the purity of the e-ink experience. Like others have noted, and I suspected from first experiences, the two added layers (capacitive touch and the light guide) on top of the PW e-ink screen take a little away from the feeling of electronic paper. It looks more of a screen and I started reading on e-ink precisely because it didn't look anything like a screen. Also, the added resolution and the light guide clearly take something away from the crispness so inherent in previous e-ink Kindle products, especially the later Pearl displays. (Maybe some of that could be fixed with crisper fonts.) The pictures do look good, but I never fell in love with e-ink because of pictures, but because it displayed text quite like it was printed on paper. I never felt the old resolution to be low either. So, first point deducted from a slight loss of e-ink purity. Not a deal breaker, but it is there.

Light uniformity:

Second is the light uniformity. Mine is a better sample than some of the very blotchy units pictured here, but obviously there is light unevenness when using the PW in low-light conditions, in the bottom area of course and some towards the top. In better ambient lighting, or when the PW light is set to bright, there is hardly any unevenness though. But the thing is, again, I read in the dark almost exclusively. How the PW performs in those conditions, is almost the only thing that matters to me. Now, during the past two generations I've used an Amazon Kindle lighted cover. Neither of those have been perfect or uniform (and hardly as adjustable as the PW), but combined with the pure sense of e-ink, they look like a reading light shining on a book.

I never took any issue with how the light spread on the e-ink screen with lighted Amazon covers of previous generations (the last lighted cover did shine in my eye, though, more on that later), but on the PW the light is so inherent to the screen - and again, it now looks like a screen which is bad in itself - that any unevenness there too easily detracts from the feeling of reading a page of a book. I feel the worst is reading the bottom lines of the page and then moving the eyes back to the top row... the overly bright, uneven bottom and then the distinctly less bright top, the "contrast" between these two extremes is simply jarring when reading in the dark. (In daylight, not an issue.) Unevenness or hotspotting isn't so much of an issue with a reading light, because it lights up the surroundings as well and evens things out, but here all eyes are on the screen and any issues there, because its surroundings are not lit in dark.

Almost backlit:

Make no mistake, the frontlight isn't a backlight. Compared to an LCD tablet or a computer screen, it is miles less taxing on the eyes. You can see it clearly when you compare the two. Even when on full brightness, the Kindle is far less bright than a computer screen, yet definitely just as readable if not better than the computer screen. And you don't need much brightness to be able to read in the dark, even 5 out of 24 seems to be perfectly enough. I started at 13, then went to 8 and recently have been reading on brightness 5, quite dark that is. So, what Amazon (and Nook) are doing with these frontlights is legit. They are trying to add to the e-ink experience, not make them into an LCD type of experience. Yet, and this is deal breaker, I feel it still has taken away too much from the e-ink experience. It does feel a little backlit in isolation and it is more taxing on the eyes than a traditionally lighted e-ink screen is.

One major reason is that the frontlight doesn't light the sides of the reader. While it makes the display and its content pop out better, it also means the contrast to the dark surroundings is higher and thus more taxing on the eyes. A reading light (or a lighted cover) landing softly over a larger area, and gradually getting darker towards the sides, is simply more relaxing on the eyes than a sharply lit box in the dark is... If you have one of those adjustable Maglight flashlights, go to a dark room and point it away from yourself, on a light wall. First focus all the light from the Maglight in a sharply drawn area, so that it is as bright and focused in a single area as possible. After that adjust the light to spread softly over a larger area - you'll see the latter light reflection is easier to look at on the light wall. Paperwhite is like the focused torch, where as a reading light or a lighted cover shining down on the reader is more akin to the softly spread light.

And this one is the deal breaker for me. Even if I forget about e-ink purity or the light uniformity issues (or Amazon fixes them down the road, which I don't think will fully happen this generation)... the problem, for me, is that the frontlight makes the Kindle look a little like an LCD tablet. And I've kept buying Kindles to keep away from tablets, not the other way around. I want to look at simulated paper, not a tuned down monitor. The glowing screen looks cool in daylight or well lit rooms, but in the darkness I do most of my reading in, it isn't working for me. It takes too much away from the e-ink experience I've come to love since Kindle 2.

One more chance:

So, unfortunately I have to chalk up the Kindle PW as a disappointment. The rest of the device is great, and it seems like a wonderful daytime reader where the light can help more than hurt, but my particular use scenario is not well served by the device due to the screen. I am not sending it back though. Partly because I imported and it is worth more for me here than any refunds minus cost would be, partly because I want to use it to keep up with whatever new software features and fixes Amazon comes up with for their premiere reader, partly because I may still use it for daytime reading, but mostly because I think there is one more chance for the Paperwhite: a third-party manufacturer makes it a good lighted cover and Amazon adds a software option to turn off the frontlight (a good lighted cover might work even without an option to fully turn off the light, but an option would be the best). That could solve the night reading problem.

As far as other performance, software features, form factor and touch goes, this thing is a winner, so I may consider a suitable lighted cover in the future if one appears. One problem I see with that is, it wouldn't be easily charged by the Kindle itself, but if the case is good I might be able to live with that. I will definitely check out whatever touch generation Amazon comes up with next year, but this experience has left me wary about the frontlight concept...

What's next:

This is the second Kindle generation that has been a little mixed bag. I loved Kindle 2 and 3, but on the 4 the original partial screen updates were controversial and especially the Amazon leather cover for that generation was disappointing - leather was low quality, the cover interferes with the page change buttons and the light still shines in my eye every time I read in bed (which is often). The silver color of the last generation device also dulls the contrast a bit. Software updates have fixed some issues, but all in all I've mostly endured Kindle 4, instead of enjoyed, compared to the previous generation experience. Frankly looking back on the past year of reading, I probably should have stayed at Kindle 3 back then. And after having my wishful eyes on the next generation for the past weeks, I don't want to go back to Kindle 4 and eye-lights now. Unfortunately the Kindle 3 is off to a family member and I've come to prefer the new, small form-factor anyway...

So, my current plan of action is to go with the latest baby Kindle "5". Yes, silly me, throwing more money at Amazon after my disappointments, but that is the nature of the beast. Overall I like my Kindles, a lot. The minimal changes in the new black edition has received some praise, even just the color, and the software I know to have gotten better (I'd have that on Kindle 4 too of course). I just need to find myself a case that doesn't look so bad, that doesn't interfere with pressing the buttons and that has a light that doesn't shine in my eye. I can't deal with that Amazon Kindle 4 case anymore. I think I'm going to go for the TeckNet Kindle Lighted Leather Cover With Integrated Flexible Reading Light Book Style, see what it's like. It takes its power from the Kindle and has an adjustable reading light. It also clicks in almost like the original case, so that it doesn't hide the device under leather or straps, which is how I like it (that was the one good thing about the Amazon Kindle 4 leather case). Obviously I could achieve most of this with just a new cover, but I think I'll do both and see if I could finally reach the bliss I last had with Kindle 3. I'll report back in the appropriate thread(s) once I get there.

So, folks, that's my Kindle PW review and then some - I hope future software updates and some lighted cover will let me enjoy it later, but for now the device is going on the backburner, while I'm trying the new baby Kindle and a third-party lighted cover.

Too bad.

Offline mooshie78

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Paperwhite reader reviews
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:17:15 AM »
My review would be nearly opposite--but I was never super enamoured with the past e-ink Kindles I had (K1, K2 and K3).  Drab and not ideal for reading in dim lighting.  Yes, you need light for paper books, but I mainly read books with nice white pages, rather than drab gray pages (i.e. cheap paperbacks).

I also don't mind reading on a screen.  I read a ton on my iPad--newspapers, PDFs of scholarly articles, web sites etc. every day.  I don't seem to have the eye strain issues that most have on here--maybe as I'm younger than a lot, don't have eye problems, and seldom read for more than an hour in one sitting.  I'd just read my books on there, but it's a little big and bulky for curling up and reading a novel before sleeping.  And the one time backlighting does bother is when reading before bed as I seem to have a harder time falling asleep if I'm on my iPad or laptop in bed, where as a Kindle (including the PW) doesn't bother me. 

So for me the PW has become the near perfect e-reader.  Whiter screen.  Light works great for reading in dim lighting--huge improvement over reading on my past Kindles with my crummy bedside lamp or a clip on light.  Love the touch screen (didn't care for the KT as it was laggy and not sensitive enough since it was IR rather than capacitive touch screen).

To each their own of course.  We all have our own quirks and things we like/dislike in our gadgets.

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
Thank you. I appreciate the thoughtful and well-considered posts from both FearIndex and mooshie on the Paperwhite. For people like me who are on the fence, it's doesn't make it any easier to see that you've reached completely opposite conclusions: Nearly Perfect and Effectively Unbearable!

I'm leaning toward taking the coward's way out and buying a PW for my wife as a Christmas gift. Then she can decide whether or not it's a keeper! :) I also think that she's more likely to appreciate the screen upgrade from a K2 vs. the pearl screen on my beloved K3.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
First, thank you to the moderators to moving my experiences to the correct area from Let's talk Kindle. :) Newbie mistake!

Thank you for the comments mooshie78 and GBear! Appreciate it.

Some comments to mooshie78:

I agree that regular e-ink is fairly drab in low lighting. It is certainly more paperback than hardcover. But since I mostly read in dark with a lighted cover (I actually often used a small flashlight with Kindle 2 that didn't have an Amazon lighted cover), that isn't as important in my use. I also used to read plenty of paperbacks - still do at times - so the e-ink look is very inviting to me. I do agree it is quite "grey", so for those who don't prefer that, certainly Paperwhite can help by glowing - and in better lighting the glow turns to whiteness. I agree with that view, I just feel differently about it.

I do also read a lot on computer screen, websites, PDFs and the like, hours on end obviously at times, but I can't get into that groove with the kind of books or even magazines you read from cover to cover. Especially because I like to read before I go to sleep. (I actually read a study recently that said the bluish light from computer screens increases the chance of sleeplessness when exposed to right before sleeping, so that would jive with your experiences with a tablet.) So, while I have no problem reading from a screen - nor am I old or with any eye issues - I just don't really like to with long books. That certain peace and state of mind where you immerse yourself in a good book, I get that with paper and e-ink - not so much with LCD. I have tried reading on my tablets but I simple hate it. Back in the day with Kindle 2 it was an instant love affair, tripling my reading almost immediately and I'm still on that road. I don't think the Paperwhite is as bad as a backlit LCD, not at all, but some of the issues are there for me. No instant love affair with the screen, the rest of the device I do love though.

I agree that the touch screen on Paperwhite is great. I skipped the Kindle Touch (I have the baby Kindle 4) and now probably going back to the smaller Kindles for a while, I will likely miss the PW touch screen and the user-interface it allows. The touch screen was one of my major worries before ordering and it turned out to be one of the greatest triumphs of the device for me. The touch really is great. As for lamps, I have used the Amazon lighted covers on previous Kindles and at least they felt better than many clip-on lamps I've seen in pictures. I did like the convenience of being able to snap up the light when needed and stow away invisibly when not, the mechanical movement is fairly satisfying in these lighted covers. I'm hoping I can find an even better lighted cover first for the small Kindle 5 (the one I mentioned in my review looks promising) and perhaps later on one for the Kindle Paperwhite, even if some might find that a bit counter-intuitive. I genuinely think a lighted cover for the Kindle PW might fix it for me, especially if Amazon were to update the software to allow turning off the frontlight - although that probably wouldn't be mandatory if the lighted cover works well enough to "hide it". With a lighted cover it would probably take away the two latter issues I had with the screen.

To GBear:

I applaud your courage, if your coward's way is testing something via the wife's Christmas gift. Brave. I wonder what you would call the courageous way... Jumping from stratosphere? ;)

As for "effectively unbearable", I don't want to leave other readers thinking I think the Paperwhite couldn't work for them. It is a good product. The problem is, it may not be a good product for someone - like me - who absolutely loved the way e-ink looked and worked on previous Kindles. Clearly it works great for someone like mooshie78 who wasn't such a pure e-ink fan, but has different priorities and feelings on this. The frontlight is quite a departure from pure e-ink, even if we forget about the issues with bad units, uneven light and so forth. The basic concept itself is quite a departure from e-ink and more so with all the individual issues people are perceiving. I think that even when Amazon has the manufacturing down to an art with less variance between units (I still think mine is a fairly good unit display-wise), the basic ups and downs with the screen will still be the same. Some old Kindle fans will love it, other old Kindle fans not so much because it is so different.

I would also add - and I think several people here have said the same - if you mostly read in daylight or with other additional lighting, you are far less likely to perceive problems with the Kindle PW. I think it works great in lighted areas and certainly doesn't look as drab as pure e-ink. But reading in darkness, then it shows its issues the brightest for me. I would probably have no issues with the PW if my main reading happened during the day or in a well-lighted room.

Offline Me and My Kindle

• One of Amazon's best-selling Kindle bloggers
    • View Profile
    • Throw in the Vowel
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »
Here's another small gripe that I have about the Kindle Paperwhite: it's inconvenient to get back to the home page!  When I decide that I want to leave a book, there's no home button, and you have to press the top of the screen to make the "Home" icon appear.  That wouldn't be a big deal, except that it always takes an extra-long moment for that icon to actually appear.  So there's no Home icon until you press for the menu bar, and then there's still no Home icon for that agonizing little moment, until it does re-appear. 

Maybe I'm just impatient, but when I decide "Okay, I don't want to read this book any more," I really hate those extra few moments when I'm still stuck reading it anyways. It feels like I'm trapped! :D

Co-author of the new game
                 "Throw in the Vowel"

One of Amazon's best-selling
          Kindle word games!

Now also available on Kindle PAPERWHITE!

Just released! Try it now!

A fun, challenging, and original new word game

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
Maybe I'm just impatient, but when I decide "Okay, I don't want to read this book any more," I really hate those extra few moments when I'm still stuck reading it anyways. It feels like I'm trapped! :D

Sorry. :(  Given that it takes, at most 2 seconds, I'd say, yes, you're impatient. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Amazopia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
So, my current plan of action is to go with the latest baby Kindle "5". Yes, silly me, throwing more money at Amazon after my disappointments, but that is the nature of the beast.
Why did you choose not to return it for a refund? Another possibility is selling it. Since Amazon is seriously backordered on this unit, it is going on eBay for a substantial premium over retail, so you could even turn a profit on it.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
Why did you choose not to return it for a refund? Another possibility is selling it. Since Amazon is seriously backordered on this unit, it is going on eBay for a substantial premium over retail, so you could even turn a profit on it.

Good suggestions, of course. I could obviously return it, but since I imported it from the U.S. to Europe with my own cost, I'd have to substract such costs and whatever it would cost me to return it to the U.S. (It wasn't available for Europe shipping at the time.) Of course returning it would still net me money compared to now, but I'd also have one Kindle less. :) I feel since the Kindle PW is not that expensive as a gadget, it is worth more to me here than returning it. Ebay is obviously always a valid option to consider, if I feel like it, but at the moment I doubt it.

Another reason is, after passing on Kindle Touch and X-Ray and all that, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever improvements Amazon might bring to the PW software. I doubt the baby Kindle will see any of those, so because I don't feel my PW unit is bad (I just don't like the frontlight concept and limitations), I think I'll keep it around for that reason as well.

Third reason is the possibility of making the PW better for me with a lighted case, if such appears, especially if an option to turn off the frontlight completely appears. I am pondering that option here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,129956.0.html

Offline laurie_lu

• I've owned a lot of Kindles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »

Almost backlit:

Make no mistake, the frontlight isn't a backlight. Compared to an LCD tablet or a computer screen, it is miles less taxing on the eyes. You can see it clearly when you compare the two. Even when on full brightness, the Kindle is far less bright than a computer screen, yet definitely just as readable if not better than the computer screen. And you don't need much brightness to be able to read in the dark, even 5 out of 24 seems to be perfectly enough. I started at 13, then went to 8 and recently have been reading on brightness 5, quite dark that is. So, what Amazon (and Nook) are doing with these frontlights is legit. They are trying to add to the e-ink experience, not make them into an LCD type of experience. Yet, and this is deal breaker, I feel it still has taken away too much from the e-ink experience. It does feel a little backlit in isolation and it is more taxing on the eyes than a traditionally lighted e-ink screen is.

I have not seen a PaperWhite in person yet.  However from looking at all the photos posted on the internet of it lit up, the screen looks no different than a backlit LCD screen to me.  I think this is going to be a deal breaker for me too.  I was considering selling my Kindle Touch to buy a PaperWhite.  I just can't stand to look at something that is just like the computer screen I stare at all day at my job.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
I have not seen a PaperWhite in person yet.  However from looking at all the photos posted on the internet of it lit up, the screen looks no different than a backlit LCD screen to me.  I think this is going to be a deal breaker for me too.  I was considering selling my Kindle Touch to buy a PaperWhite.  I just can't stand to look at something that is just like the computer screen I stare at all day at my job.

It isn't quite a backlight in person, especially when compared to a real backlight, but yes it does look more like a screen and less like a "sheet" of e-ink. It also kills the blackness of the text.

I took some photos with the frontlight to the max and to the min, with the new $69 Kindle 5 on the side, here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,129956.25.html

Offline Amazopia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
I just unboxed my new PW, and if sort-of resembles a backlit LCD with the light turned all the way up, but not with it turned down. Turned down, it looks like a printed page, but with a little less contrast. I also did not notice the uneveness that I keep seeing complaints about. All in all, a satisfactory until. I will be publishing my unboxing video shortly, and as soon as I get comfortable with navigation on the PW, I will try making a "first impressions" video on it.

Offline yourkrishna

• New Delhi
  • Live and Let Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 12:40:57 AM »
Thanks for telling me the reviews i was not aware of this and was looking for this information.Thanks information was really helpful.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »
I have not seen a PaperWhite in person yet.  However from looking at all the photos posted on the internet of it lit up, the screen looks no different than a backlit LCD screen to me.  I think this is going to be a deal breaker for me too.  I was considering selling my Kindle Touch to buy a PaperWhite.  I just can't stand to look at something that is just like the computer screen I stare at all day at my job.

It isn't quite a backlight in person, especially when compared to a real backlight, but yes it does look more like a screen and less like a "sheet" of e-ink. It also kills the blackness of the text.

I agree that it's not the same, in person, as a backlit screen -- I've used both the original and HD Fires as well as a Xoom tablet, a Razr smartphone, and various laptops and desktop monitors AND have played with every Kindle model every made.  The PW screen is, by far, closer to previous kindle screens than to any backlit screen I've used.  It's just brighter and clearer but still without any glare.  Less glare, even, than you could get with a single light source in a not-too-bright room.  I strongly disagree that it kills the blackness of the text.  I have no problem with the overall contrast on mine.  

So. . . .bottom line. . . before deciding, you should see one in person.  Word is they're beginning to be available in Best Buy.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »
I strongly disagree that it kills the blackness of the text.  I have no problem with the overall contrast on mine.  

To clarify, I feel the PW screen with light "kills the blackness" compared to Amazon's more traditional Kindles - especially the Kindle 3. So it is a relative thing.

E.g. this picture, PW on the left, $69 Kindle 5 on the right in the Amazon lighted cover:

Just to clarify that, I appreciate your differing opinion.

Offline mountainbikermark

• View Profile
Re: Re: Kindle Paperwhite reader reviews
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
Before I bought my Touch I joined this forum to find reviews.
The awesome members here helped me decide and I got one based on the pros out weighing the cons. Y'all were spot on.
I write that because again, this thread seems to be spot on. I can see where every one of you is coming from now that I have a Paperwhite of my own.
I use a secondary light on my Touch but it just didn't quite cut it for me because when reading I'm laying in all kinds of weird positions and kept knocking my light around. In my tablets (Fire and Nexus7 I use an app called Screen Dim that I can separate the brightness from backlight, making reading MUCH easier on the eyes when I turn the LCD  up and backlight almost off. It also enhances the colors but that's another topic.
My Paperwhite is one of the ones with, at first, the blotchy screen. Best I can describe it is crop circles all over the screen with the 2 overly lit alien ships along the bottom of the unit. Once I took it outside in before 32f weather the crop circles are gone and the aliens seem to be trying to hide their lights now, though if you look you can still find them lurking along the bottom. Maybe Close Encounters will return next summer but for now.....
I've actually found the Touch to be snappier in the menu and such ,by quite a lot, but both are very responsive and quick at page turns.
True for those that want or need that non lit, pure eink display the Paperwhite may just disappoint, perhaps big time, because it does change the contrast of the black and does lose the old weathered paper color but for me it helps when in less than ideal lighting which is 99.9% of the time. The way the black it's different actually helps my astigmatism not affect my reading as much, don't even need my readers whereas I do with my Touch even in bright light.
I wanted something where I could read in any light condition without adding anything, syncing to another device, and ready to pocket. The Paperwhite with its flaws has the pro of fitting that desire (almost need) which outweigh the cons of sluggish menu, less than perfect light distribution and having to go several steps in to turn on/off Wi-Fi and the lock screen (my only true gripe. It's just not needed and silly to me that they need a lock screen when waking could just as easily turn on the light and return to last where it was when it went to sleep without a lock).
Battery life is about in par with advertised  (30 hours of reading) with Wi-Fi off but I get about 20+ hours because I keep forgetting to turn it off.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post