Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 58950 times)  

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Publishers seem to have a challenging time distinguishing between UF and PNR, so I can see why you would have been annoyed. I grabbed this book by Allison Pang:

The cover's done more in UF style, and it's generally presented as UF, but the whole thing turned out to be about the relationship between Abby and Brystion and all of their sexy times. I don't mind PNR, necessarily, and sexy times are okay with me--but gosh darnit, when I pick up a book to read UF, I want to read UF. (I did like the perverted miniature unicorn in that book, though.)

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I had her series on my TBR list because I thought it was UF.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »
Publishers seem to have a challenging time distinguishing between UF and PNR,... 

Me too.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2012, 07:10:49 AM »
Me too.

The publishers do it on purpose.  I read a romance book that happened to have a lady who could "understand" cats (as if!) and they labeled it UF.  The book really lacked any real UF--there was only ONE place in the book where she "talked" to a cougar and it "appeared" to understand her type of thing.   It could sort of be listed as paranormal romance, but honestly.  It was just a romance book (with a mystery) and one little paranormal element thrown in.

But the publishers like to label things as...whatever is currently selling!

(And by publishers, yeah, I include indies in that statement.   ;) )

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »
It is kind of hard to figure out. But UF has the same issue there than romance in general has. I find so much stuff now that is suppose to be romance, be it PNR or otherwise and it is anything but. But romance sells, so if there is any kind of sexy time or relation ship in it, they stick it into romance. With UF I go into it with a different expectation.
There is dark and dreary UF that has little to no romance in it. There is the stuff that has romance, but not in the genre sense and some have a little more and usually spread out over many books. None of those are genre romance. Relation ships and romance and all that are a normal human emotion, so I think its normal to find it in all kinds of genres. Would be weird if it wasn't.
When I read Sookie Stackhouse and Anita Blake, I never knew where it was going and that was the fun of it. Same when I started the Fever series.

I learned to read review and comments from peeps on goodreads now before I dig into UF, or romance for that matter. It has become more muddled lately rather than clear. Lots of stuff is being published and being stuck anywhere it might make the biggest profit. And now we have the addition of YA that can also go either way.

I need a flowchart  :D

I do know that I am getting slightly overwhelmed and tired of everything being series. And in UF its especially all the female leaders that start blending into one another. And I count Harry Dresden too as he acts like a girl most of the time  :P. He just wears more clothes.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
It is kind of hard to figure out. But UF has the same issue there than romance in general has. I find so much stuff now that is suppose to be romance, be it PNR or otherwise and it is anything but. But romance sells, so if there is any kind of sexy time or relation ship in it, they stick it into romance. With UF I go into it with a different expectation.
There is dark and dreary UF that has little to no romance in it. There is the stuff that has romance, but not in the genre sense and some have a little more and usually spread out over many books. None of those are genre romance. Relation ships and romance and all that are a normal human emotion, so I think its normal to find it in all kinds of genres. Would be weird if it wasn't.
When I read Sookie Stackhouse and Anita Blake, I never knew where it was going and that was the fun of it. Same when I started the Fever series.

I learned to read review and comments from peeps on goodreads now before I dig into UF, or romance for that matter. It has become more muddled lately rather than clear. Lots of stuff is being published and being stuck anywhere it might make the biggest profit. And now we have the addition of YA that can also go either way.

I need a flowchart  :D

I do know that I am getting slightly overwhelmed and tired of everything being series. And in UF its especially all the female leaders that start blending into one another. And I count Harry Dresden too as he acts like a girl most of the time  :P. He just wears more clothes.  ;D

And there there is the "flame" rating on romance...because you can have sweet romance all the way to not sweet...I like that allromanceebooks.com has flame ratings right on every book.  THAT is a great idea.

I like a break from series too, but I can tell you since there appears to be less money/popularity in it, you won't find it very often...I really used to enjoy romance BECAUSE it wasn't a series of "these two and then these two or their kids and their grandkids..."   I just finished The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey--definitely romance as the main theme and easily stand alone.  But it was a bit too "simple" in development for my tastes (it's definitely a one flame, but the failings were more in things were just "too easy" when it came to the relationship and they mystery).   

Luckily there are lots of books.

I laughed at your Dresden comment. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »
Is there even any UF out there that is not a series? Or any new PNR? Its hard to find any. I actually been reading more backlist stuff just so I can have the stand alone once in a while. But those aren't PNR or UF.

I started to put everything I read and started of series into the fictfact site. So I can keep up with series. I am not even done by a long shot, I barely started and I am already at 135 series I have now listed that I either started, finished or about to start. Many of them PNR and UF.  :o :o. My problem now is that I have a hard time sticking with any. Once I quit I forget all about it and just don't care anymore. It gets exhausting. And they never end. When I think I am getting closer to the end, there are like 10 more releases in the series. When I read the Fever series I liked that it was 5 books and that was it. Or was it.  :D. Now that one is getting continued to at least a total of like 10 books.

I quit Anita Blake at around 7 or 8. Can't recall as I already forgot. Sookie I never finished either. How can I possible ever finish any of those series if they just keep going and going.  :D

I am getting to old with my puny human life span to finish all this stuff. With my OCD I have to read series in very strict order, I can't skip a book. But I am always still looking for the next entertaining read so what the heck am I suppose to do.  ::)

I am so behind on a lot of stuff that sometimes it takes the fun out or reading. Then I just want to pick something totally unrelated and read. Until I start looking for the next exiting read that is.  ;D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »
Is there even any UF out there that is not a series? Or any new PNR? Its hard to find any. I actually been reading more backlist stuff just so I can have the stand alone once in a while. But those aren't PNR or UF.

I started to put everything I read and started of series into the fictfact site. So I can keep up with series. I am not even done by a long shot, I barely started and I am already at 135 series I have now listed that I either started, finished or about to start. Many of them PNR and UF.  :o :o. My problem now is that I have a hard time sticking with any. Once I quit I forget all about it and just don't care anymore. It gets exhausting. And they never end. When I think I am getting closer to the end, there are like 10 more releases in the series. When I read the Fever series I liked that it was 5 books and that was it. Or was it.  :D. Now that one is getting continued to at least a total of like 10 books.

I quit Anita Blake at around 7 or 8. Can't recall as I already forgot. Sookie I never finished either. How can I possible ever finish any of those series if they just keep going and going.  :D

I am getting to old with my puny human life span to finish all this stuff. With my OCD I have to read series in very strict order, I can't skip a book. But I am always still looking for the next entertaining read so what the heck am I suppose to do.  ::)

I am so behind on a lot of stuff that sometimes it takes the fun out or reading. Then I just want to pick something totally unrelated and read. Until I start looking for the next exiting read that is.  ;D

I think there are a few (the Fire Rose as mentioned above; it was probably PNR before there was such a category and I think it was intended to be stand alone).  But I generally lean to UF when selecting; I generally like the romance to be a subplot or equal, but only rarely the main carry.  If pressed I could probably find a few that weren't series, but I'd have to think about it. 

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »
I've thought of a couple:

Unicorn on Speed Dial - UF.  I've talked to the author (fan mail!) and she has no intention of writing another book in the same setting.  It could easily do with another book, the setting is so great, but she's writing other stuff.  This is in the cozy arena.

Not sure if the author intends to write additional books:  UF:  The Man Who Crossed Worlds -- no cozy; dark UF.  Not much of a romantic bent, but kind of a hint at a possible.

A. Lee Martinez.  I don't think he writes any series.  His "The Automatic Detective" is definitely UF (I think there was probably a romantic subplot, but I can't remember off the top of my head).

When Demons Walk - Patricia Briggs.  There is another book in the same "world" but I don't think the characters overlap.  One of the best fantasy/romance books I've ever read. Probably a flame rating of? 2? 

Memory of Fire - Holly Lisle.  I don't think this ever became a series.  Good fantasy/romance.  She has at least one more...no, I think she has several that are stand alone.  She has at least two contemporary setting romance that could easily be called paranormal romance.  Let me think.  something about Rain and something about dancing are in the titles.  The one about Rain was quite good.  I really loved it.  The ... "Last Girl Dancing?"  Was...not my thing.   She has one called...something like "Deal with the Devil" that is stand alone romance and great fun.   I See You is stand alone romance, I think--not a series.  Oh-oh!!  Minerva Wakes.  GREAT paranormal romance/UF.  I'd lean it to PNR.  Awesome stand alone. 

Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde.  Pretty sure that would be fantasy/romance (it's YA) and has a romantic bent. 

See, I knew there were some.  I can think of a few others, but I've babbled long enough.

Offline drenfrow

• Terlingua, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »
The UF versus PNR discussion reminds me of the old Reese's commercials where the line was "You got peanut butter on my chocolate!", "No, you got chocolate on my peanut butter!".  Is it a fantasy with some romance elements or a romance with some fantasy elements?  It does make it tricky to label because the distinctions get blurred.

Woke up this morning with a terrific urge to lie in bed all day and read. -Raymond Carver

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
The UF versus PNR discussion reminds me of the old Reese's commercials where the line was "You got peanut butter on my chocolate!", "No, you got chocolate on my peanut butter!".  Is it a fantasy with some romance elements or a romance with some fantasy elements?  It does make it tricky to label because the distinctions get blurred.

I think everyone has their own personal lines in the sand.  And most of us are willing to read into some overlap.  But the industry just wants us to buy it all...so narrowing labels is not in their best interests!

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »
Personally, I prefer series, but I like them to be contained--three or four books with one major arc, ideally. I can't think of an UF series that did this off the top of my head, so I'm thinking back to my YA fantasy loves right now: Tamora Pierce and Christopher Pike's Last Vampire series (before it went crappy and got updated). I especially love how Tamora Pierce had the shared universe, but she did "quintets" about completely different characters and situations, with occasional crossovers.

I kinda give up on even my favorite series after book... oh, ten or so. Lookin' at you, Anita Blake and your harem of long-haired men that are still gushing on everything twenty books running.

(On an unrelated note, I wish I could turn off my signature when talking in the readers section of KB--seems kind of like a conflict of interest to be snarking about series with book covers below my name. :P Tacky, SMR, tacky.)

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »
Personally, I prefer series, but I like them to be contained--three or four books with one major arc, ideally. I can't think of an UF series that did this off the top of my head, so I'm thinking back to my YA fantasy loves right now: Tamora Pierce and Christopher Pike's Last Vampire series (before it went crappy and got updated). I especially love how Tamora Pierce had the shared universe, but she did "quintets" about completely different characters and situations, with occasional crossovers.

I kinda give up on even my favorite series after book... oh, ten or so. Lookin' at you, Anita Blake and your harem of long-haired men that are still gushing on everything twenty books running.

(On an unrelated note, I wish I could turn off my signature when talking in the readers section of KB--seems kind of like a conflict of interest to be snarking about series with book covers below my name. :P Tacky, SMR, tacky.)
Meh. People have the option of turning signatures off. I discuss battle scenes with obvious war fiction in my sig and don't feel bad about it.  :D

We read as well as write, after all.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »
Meh. People have the option of turning signatures off. I discuss battle scenes with obvious war fiction in my sig and don't feel bad about it.  :D

We read as well as write, after all.

I agree. Doesn't bother me in the least. We are all readers here.  ;)

And thanks Maria for digging up some standalones. Its not that I totally hate series, its just that when one has to start so many since everything is one, its hard to feel any sense of accomplishment. Does that make any sense? I always feel like I am behind everywhere I talk with readers about various stuff. Then I feel like I need to catch up with this and that and my head starts hurting  :D

I think the only series I can think of where I don't think I will get tired at any time soon is the "In Death" series. Its also the first one where I get more of a feeling of watching a really good TV series with great episodes. Rather than cliffhanger thingies that are prevalent in the UF worlds. It means I can read at my own pace, rather then feeling the pressure of the "what the heck happens next OMG next book wont be out for 6 month"  :P

Offline NoreeCosper

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Noree Cosper's Website
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
I'm kind of new to this discussion, but I can reply to the OP.

I got started on UF with Laurel K. Hamilton when i was still in high school. Unfortunately, I'm really disappointed how her books have turned out. I stopped reading the Anita Blake series a while ago when it just switch to mostly sex and no plot. However, I still love Urban Fantasy. Some of my favorites are Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, Ilona Andrews's Kade Daniels series, and Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series. I would have to say I prefer more UF to PNR, though I like a little bit of romance in it.
Noree Cosper

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »
I agree. Doesn't bother me in the least. We are all readers here.  ;)

And thanks Maria for digging up some standalones. Its not that I totally hate series, its just that when one has to start so many since everything is one, its hard to feel any sense of accomplishment. Does that make any sense? I always feel like I am behind everywhere I talk with readers about various stuff. Then I feel like I need to catch up with this and that and my head starts hurting  :D

I think the only series I can think of where I don't think I will get tired at any time soon is the "In Death" series. Its also the first one where I get more of a feeling of watching a really good TV series with great episodes. Rather than cliffhanger thingies that are prevalent in the UF worlds. It means I can read at my own pace, rather then feeling the pressure of the "what the heck happens next OMG next book wont be out for 6 month"  :P

Yeah, I get that.  And sometimes I just want to read a book and not feel like "I'm starting a new series."  I want to just read and be done with it.  Sometimes a series feels like more of a commitment that I care to take on--even though I often drop series.  I like the feeling of just reading a book.     I think I'd write more stand alones if there were more call for them, but even I admit it's nice to be able to pick up a "known good author and good series" when you just want to read something good!!!

I must confess I stopped reading the In Death series a while back.  I did read more in the series than a lot of series, but the last one I had as a "sure thing" read...I haven't read and eventually I gave it to the library because it was a hardback (it was given to me so I felt it was time to pass it on.  And since my library caries her, I knew they'd have it when I changed my mind.)

Offline neaughea

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
I love love love Sarra Cannon's Peachville High series, deals with demons and witches it is very cool! I also loved Addison Moore's Celestra series! And one really great series was White Space by Sean Platt and David Wright it sucked me in and I can't wait for the next in the series.
I can't be categorized, cataloged or sorted.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »
I've just finished two series by Larissa Ione.  The first is her "Demonica" series:

The Demonica series goes right into her "Lords of Deliverance" series:

I think both of these series are solid reads.  There is a lot of world building at the beginning and sometimes I felt as if I needed a cheat sheet to keep track of the names but Ione has built an interesting place and a cast of characters that are engaging.  Her plots are creative and not repetitive.  She has subplots going on (kind of like JR Ward) but they don't overshadow or take away from the main plot.  It is mythology mixed with an urban setting.

If I were assigning stars, overall I'd give both series 4 with a couple of installments at 5.  Some of the books seemed a bit longer than normal (not saying that's necessarily bad) and there were some places where I felt things were lagging but after reading all 9, I'm missing them and looking forward to the next one due out in the fall.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:42:51 AM by Trophywife007 »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
I remember reading "Pleasure Unbound" because it was a freebie back in early 2009. Those were the day of getting some fantastic freebies. Sigh.
I remember really liking it, but for some reason I got into reading so many different series at once then, that it kind of slipped my mind. I think I want to read the next. At least now there are more books out and I don't have to wait.  ;D. The positives of waiting.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »
... At least now there are more books out and I don't have to wait.  ;D. The positives of waiting.

Plus, it's less confusing when characters/agencies/situations keep popping up, to have just read the previous book so you don't have to rack your brain trying to remember who, what, where, when you saw them previously.  There are so many characters who reoccur in this series.  It's nice to "see" them again and I love the continuity, but it's also nice not to have to do a search to remember.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »
... I got started on UF with Laurel K. Hamilton when i was still in high school. Unfortunately, I'm really disappointed how her books have turned out. I stopped reading the Anita Blake series a while ago when it just switch to mostly sex and no plot...

I have heard a lot about Anita Blake -- from many who agree with you and also have given up.  Some have even stuck with her through the most recent installment (20th?  21st?) and are now finally throwing in the towel.  I have heard some positive things about the Merry Gentry series.  I read the first one but haven't gone any further. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
Goodness, took me a while to find this thread in the cellar.  :D

I just picked up the latest and 7th in the Chicago Vampires at the library. I was first in line.  ;D
Costs too much in Kindle, but these are in trade size so not too bad to read in paper for my eyes.

Can't wait to read it. I love this series.

I need something to get me out of my reading slump. Not sure if its a slump or just more a reading restlessness.

After that the next 2 UF I will work in are another in the Kate Daniels series and in the Mercy Thompson series. I am still in the earlier books on those. I am trying to get caught up at least on some of the series I am reading.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:47:55 PM by Atunah »

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
Goodness, took me a while to find this thread in the cellar.  :D

I just picked up the latest and 7th in the Chicago Vampires at the library. I was first in line.  ;D
Costs too much in Kindle, but these are in trade size so not too bad to read in paper for my eyes.

Can't wait to read it. I love this series.

I really enjoy that series as well, but I'll try to wait for the price to come down a bit.

I finally renewed my library card so I have access to overdrive here... they don't have a lot of choices, but I was able to check out Iced by Karen Moning and hope to get to it this week.

Offline Anotherdreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »
Goodness, took me a while to find this thread in the cellar.  :D

I'm glad you did! I'm a little lazy and only o a couple pages back. I never saw this thread!

Iced is fantastic! I know Danny is a bit rough now but that is what I love about Moning's writing. The characters grow. I could sing Moning's praises all day long. I love everything about her books. Honestly, I'm probably over the top with it, but I can't help myself. I'm completely hooked on her writing.

Kate Daniels and Patricia Briggs are my runner ups. I couldn't get past book 3 or 4 (can't remember anymore) with Sookie Stackhouse.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
I've been enjoying the Elder Races series by Thea Harrison.

These links don't include all the novellas that are also part of the series.  I've been enjoying these.  It has a number mythological type shifters: dragons, gryphons, etc. in addition to vampires (not the main emphasis).  The first and the last books listed deal with the main couple, Pia and Dragos.  Highly recommended!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac