Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 58277 times)  

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Eastern Shore, MD
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
I really enjoy that series as well, but I'll try to wait for the price to come down a bit.

I finally renewed my library card so I have access to overdrive here... they don't have a lot of choices, but I was able to check out Iced by Karen Moning and hope to get to it this week.

I must confess, I WANTED to like Iced, but I just couldn't. The whole age thing really, really bothered me.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »
I must confess, I WANTED to like Iced, but I just couldn't. The whole age thing really, really bothered me.

I'm in the middle of it right now and so far, so good... although I confess, I keep waiting to hear from Mac & Barrons!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »
I didn't know how I was going to feel about Iced. I didn't really like Dani much in the Fever books. But for me it has nothing to do with the age. I can tune out reality and think about the world they are living in. So her being 14 is not like a 14 year old in our world. For me at least it is like that. There is just something so special at how Moning created this world and the stuff that happens in Iced just blows my mind. Holy moly  :o :o :o :o.
How does someone come up with stuff like that and make it so alive. Talk about being immersed in the story.

So for me I was pleasantly surprised. I am so looking forward to where else we are going with this series.

I read the book from the library as a paper version. It was so cool looking. Hard back but it has pages that look hand made. The edges are uneven. I am sure there is a proper name for it. The ebook hadn't been at the library yet at the time and I was impatient. So paper it was. It was a bit heavy, but the font was nice and large enough. That book just felt a tad more special than regular paper books.

I am planning at some point to re-read the Fever series and then follow with Iced. I might do it closer to the next release.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2013, 08:50:31 AM »

I think it would bother me too.... Guess that's why I still haven't read it yet.

Just finished .... Great series!

Currently listening to . Really enjoying the series, the narrator is awesome.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »
Cagnes, you remind me that I have to catch up with Mercy. I have read the first 3 and "Bone Crossed" is the next. I also need to catch up with Kate Daniels. Those 2 and Chloe Neill's Merit are right now my favorites in the UF section.

Now I might have to check out Stacia Kane. I see its about a witch. Not sure why I am so reluctant with reading about witches.   :D. But I might give it a shot.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
Cagnes, you remind me that I have to catch up with Mercy. I have read the first 3 and "Bone Crossed" is the next. I also need to catch up with Kate Daniels. Those 2 and Chloe Neill's Merit are right now my favorites in the UF section.

Now I might have to check out Stacia Kane. I see its about a witch. Not sure why I am so reluctant with reading about witches.   :D. But I might give it a shot.

I haven't started with the Kate Daniels or Chicagoland vampire series yet. They've been on my tbr pile for awhile & I'm looking forward to reading them!

I wasn't too sure about a witch series either & I wasn't that impressed with the 1st book. I really got into the 2nd book though, so much so that I could wait to start the 3rd book.... Had to find out what happens next!  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Eastern Shore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »
I think it would bother me too.... Guess that's why I still haven't read it yet.

Just finished .... Great series!

Currently listening to . Really enjoying the series, the narrator is awesome.

I need to catch up on Mercy.. I forgot to add the latest one to my TBR. I read the first Book by Stacia Kane and wasn't too impressed, but I do have book 2, so maybe I should give it a go.

As for Dani and her age.. I think I have such an issue because I have a daughter that age right now... It just creeped me out. 

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
I need to catch up on Mercy.. I forgot to add the latest one to my TBR. I read the first Book by Stacia Kane and wasn't too impressed, but I do have book 2, so maybe I should give it a go.

As for Dani and her age.. I think I have such an issue because I have a daughter that age right now... It just creeped me out. 

If you have book 2, you definitely give it a try. I've read on goodreads that the books only get better as the series progresses & so far that I agree.

Since I haven't read Iced I don't know exactly goes on with Dani, but from the reviews I've read it seems that lots of people had a problem with her age. I will try the book eventually, just haven't been tempted yet.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »
I'm 80% through with Iced, so I'll know more soon. 

Just before starting it, I read the latest in the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh called Archangle's Storm.  It's another series I recommend... more PNR than UF but the first two (or three?) feature the same couple and the world that Singh has created is interesting and engaging.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »

I don't have a daughter that age and it creeps me out.  One of the reviews I read (thankfully) gave me enough detail (and it wasn't just her age--it was the way the men reacted and treated her) will keep me from even trying it.  Thank God for reviews!

I just finished Demon Hunter and Baby -- this is NOT cozy. It's wonderful urban fantasy by a writer who has both trad books out and has done some indie.  I loved it.  It's probably the best indie UF I've read (and yes, I love Briggs, Ilona Andrews, Benedict Jacka--if you haven't tried his stuff, it is must read good). 

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »
Oh and I forgot to say, yes I know the cover is terrible. It's still an awesome book.  I hope she writes a second in the series.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »
I just finished Iced and loved it. What a brain KMM has! I got my copy from the Overdrive library because I wasn't certain if I would like it well enough to shell out actual $$ for it. I wasn't expecting to think much of it... wasn't certain how well I'd like Dani's voice or how well I'd like a story centering around her, but KMM really came through for me and it seems she has lots of ideas up her sleeves.

I don't have kids, but as a teacher I've spent a lot of time around teenagers.  They have sex on the brain a lot more than parents would like to think about.  Dani is growing up under exceptional circumstances and she hasn't had the benefit of good parenting... really, she's had no parenting at all.  Her mother died and Rowena was simply using her.  I'm amazed at how straight her head is, considering her circumstances. 

She does not become sexually involved in this book and the "contenders" are all aware that she is too young for them.  Ryo seems more parental than anything.  I really like the newer character "Dancer" and Christian is becoming even more interesting.  I can't wait for the next installment and hope to get to know more about how Dani got her extraordinary abilities.

Offline Anotherdreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
The age thing with Iced didn't bug me. Probably because of the same thing a few of you already mentioned, it's such a different world. Christian creeped me out. I was so sad about that since he used to be a favorite.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2013, 11:07:57 PM »
The age thing with Iced didn't bug me. Probably because of the same thing a few of you already mentioned, it's such a different world. Christian creeped me out. I was so sad about that since he used to be a favorite.

Christian had his creepy moments but I think he will be rehabilitated.

I'm sad I finished it already and sad that I have to wait so long until the next one.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »
Yeah, the wait is what is bugging me. I have been lucky in that way that I started reading UF/PNR much later than most. Fairly recently to be exact. So when I start a series, many books are already out at the time. The original Fever series I started when the 5th book came out, so I didn't have a break. I had no idea really at the time that it will continue with Dani.
There isn't even a estimated date for "Burned" the next in the series. But there is a cover already on Goodreads. So I hope that is a good sign.  ;D

Poor Christian, so true. But it makes him interesting. He was just a nice kid when he first came on. He was really the only link that reminded be a bit of Moning's Highlander series. Well that went away quick, didn't it.  :D

I have given up hope for another one in that series, but these series are really very very different. But I love both, go figure.

I was never quite sure I understood the term "worldbuilding" completey, until I read the Fever series. I hate to say it, but if she was a man, this series would be of much higher acclaim. Just my opine here.
But Iced turned that crazy world building up another notch.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »
I was never quite sure I understood the term "worldbuilding" completey, until I read the Fever series. I hate to say it, but if she was a man, this series would be of much higher acclaim. Just my opine here.

I never imagined that she could "top" Fever and while I wouldn't say this is better than Fever, it certainly is a worthy addition to the lore.

Offline Anotherdreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
I found this series right after Darkfever hit paperback. Holy moly was it a tough wait in between some of these books. I don't want to write any spoilers but everyone knows that she really kills you with two of the endings. Torturous!!

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2013, 06:34:29 PM »

That's actually true of a lot of urban fantasy series and fantasy in general written by female authors. For example, Meljean Brook's Steampunk novels would probably have garnered Hugo and Nebula award nominations, if Brook were male.

In other words, this thread reminds me that I should really read Iced.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »
That's actually true of a lot of urban fantasy series and fantasy in general written by female authors. For example, Meljean Brook's Steampunk novels would probably have garnered Hugo and Nebula award nominations, if Brook were male.

In other words, this thread reminds me that I should really read Iced.
Loved The Iron Duke by Brooks. Reminds me I need to read the next. Wow what a world in that one. It just blows my mind.

Offline GreenThumb

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
    • Linda's Garden
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2013, 08:43:11 AM »
I'm also a big fan of Meljean Brook's steampunk (Iron Seas) books.  The next one, "Tethered" comes out on April 2.  Woo hoo!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »
I am reading Magic Strikes right now

The 3rd in the Kate Daniels series. I just flove this world, and Kate.

But after this one is where my annoyance starts. I am looking at goodreads for the upcoming reading order and I notice that short stories and short novellas are now being placed in between the books. Ugh. I hate that. I hate the intertwining of  stories with short stuff.
I am a OCD read in order type reader but I prefer full length books. I get confused when all these short things pop up in this or that anthology. I won't buy an anthology for just one story out of it, I don't like short stuff.

So Magic Mourns is the next one in the series, a short thingy after Magic Strikes. So its called 3.5. Later we even get into 5.4 and 5.5 stuff. That is getting ridiculous.

So now what do I do, skip that Magic Mourns after I am done with Magic strikes? But then what will I miss, I hate that. They sell the short for 2.99 on amazon and for me that is too much for it. The library doesn't have it. Ugh.

I stopped reading Kerilyn Kenyon because of this short mess inserted all over the place. And the intermingling of other characters stories in the series.

I just want to read book 1 through 8 or whatever. I don't want to have to hunt down chunks of story.

My rant for this Monday.  :-X

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
I feel your pain... I haven't started this series yet (don't know what I'm waiting for) but I've had the same experience in others, namely Sookie Stackhouse.  In fact, one short story was so much part of the series that there was a hole in one of the stories if you didn't happen to read it first (which I hadn't known because I was reading the 8 book bundle.)  Ugh.  I think after that Charlaine Harris said she wouldn't do that again.  Too little, too late.

I looked Must Love Hellhounds (name of the anthology) up on my Overdrive library and it is available for Kindle there... I wonder if there's someway for me to check it out and get it to you someway?  I don't know if we can set up an Amazon account and you can change the password after you download it?  I can't believe that my library has something that your 3 libraries don't!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
I do see Must love Hellhounds at a couple of my libraries. I could have sworn the anthology had a different name, at least that is what I read somewhere. No wonder I could not find it.

Thanks for the right name. Checked it out as it was available at one library.

Still peeved though. Just write the full books and let it be. If authors want to write short stuff, then can they not write something completely unrelated? Hmpf.  :-\

I think from now on I need to check ahead of time if there are interlaced shorts. Might make me not start a series because of that.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
Glad you found it! 

I understand what you're saying about the short stories being related to a larger series and they all seem to do this.  Additionally, in my opinion shorts are not as good as the regular stories and are somewhat unsatisfying, for lack of a better word.  I tend to just skip them... I don't like the feeling I'm being pumped for money.

Offline Anotherdreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
I know exactly what you mean with the Kate Daniel's series. It's one of my favorites, but I still skipped the novellas. They bugged me. If I'm reading about Kate I don't want to be bothered with anyone else until Kate is done.
The last two in Fever Series are going back to Mac. I love Mac and Barrons but it's already bugging me. I want it to just finish with Dani now.