KB Featured Book
Bloody Sunrise
by Gregg Bell

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-06-06
Bestseller ranking: 4595

Product Description

Denny O'Callaghan is afraid to open his eyes.

He'd been out drinking last night with the guys, and his head throbs, his arms hurt, and he can't remember what he's done.

He opens his eyes. Blood. On his sheets. His pillowcase.

Then he gets a call: his ex-wife was murdered last night.

He desperately tries to piece together what happened. But he can't explain how he got the scratches on his arms, the police want to know about the domestic violence report his ex filed against him, and his buddies say he was raging against her last night before he stormed off on his own.

Right about the time she was murdered.

Take advantage of this introductory low price!

What readers are saying about Bloody Sunrise:

'My involvement was total...I read this book straight through twice.' suziqnb

'Great thr...

Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 58258 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2013, 06:43:07 AM »
Yep, I am already dreading that in the Fever series too.  ;D

One that it had bugged was Jeaniene Frost and when she went away from Bones and Cat. But after a couple of books about other characters, I realized, I couldn't stand Cat anymore. She came across as really unlikable in those 2 books I read about Spike and Mecheres. And now I haven't read the next in the series yet because of that. I think it started in the 4th, the book before Spike when they were just bickering all the way through the book. For me it kind of destroyed the characters.

I just don't like this switching back and forth stuff.

I might just skip the novellas on the Kate series too. But I realized that a book that is coming up, I think the next after the next, is fully about Andrea. So now what. I am sure there is interaction with the other characters including Kate, so I have to read that. But ugh. Its not that I don't like other characters in books, but I don't want to fully switch to them and then back to another. Its kind of weird to me. Suddenly the characters that made me fall in love with a series are relegated to side characters.

I am finding that this mess is going on a lot in UF. Its getting stressful trying to figure out whats what. For me it takes the fun out of reading a series.  :(

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Anotherdreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
I completely agree. Ugh, Andrea again? That's going to completely mess me up. I might have to see how they wrap up Kate's story. This is going to REALLY bug me. Does anyone like this switching business? Everyone I talk to hates it too.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
I just finished another installment -- the third book -- of Heather Killough-Walden's Kings series.  This one was The Warlock King.  It was good but I got the feeling it was more about the overall arc of the series rather than this one particular couple.  So, while I was eager to read this one... I really was looking forward to this king... I now wish I would have waited until she got more of the series finished.  The first two, The Vampire King and The Phantom King both seemed to be a bit more stand alone, story-wise.  This one felt more unfinished and ended on a bit of a cliffhanger; so, I'm eagerly awaiting the next number of books.  There are a total of 13 kings but I don't know if each one will have his own individual story. 

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
I might just skip the novellas on the Kate series too. But I realized that a book that is coming up, I think the next after the next, is fully about Andrea. So now what. I am sure there is interaction with the other characters including Kate, so I have to read that. But ugh. Its not that I don't like other characters in books, but I don't want to fully switch to them and then back to another. Its kind of weird to me. Suddenly the characters that made me fall in love with a series are relegated to side characters.

I am finding that this mess is going on a lot in UF. Its getting stressful trying to figure out whats what. For me it takes the fun out of reading a series.  :(

The Andrea book, Gunmetal Magic, is a really good read and I don't think Ilona and Gordon have any plans to write another full-length novel featuring anyone else in that world until Kate's story is done (I adore their work, so I follow their blog). In general, the novellas aren't necessary to the series as a whole. They are more meant as treats for those of us that would read the phone book if Ilona and Gordon wrote it. I love that the Kate books are usually complete stories in each book, while also advancing the overall plot. There's none of the cliffhanger nonsense that is so prevalent in UF these days.

Honestly, all I have to do is see the word cliffhanger and that's it for me. I typically won't pick the book up until the next one resolving the cliffhanger is out. The problem is that usually by the time I have to wait for two books to come out, I've completely lost interest in the series. For example, I loved Dark Fever, and rolled right into Blood Fever, but then I heard that the next two books were hellish cliffhangers, so I put the series down, and to this day, even though I have books 3 and 4 sitting on my shelf, I haven't bothered to pick the series back up. (Well, to be fair, part of the reason I haven't read them is that I got them through PBS, but I really hate reading physical books, so the paperbacks tend to just sit around for awhile  :P).

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
The Andrea book, Gunmetal Magic, is a really good read and I don't think Ilona and Gordon have any plans to write another full-length novel featuring anyone else in that world until Kate's story is done (I adore their work, so I follow their blog). In general, the novellas aren't necessary to the series as a whole. They are more meant as treats for those of us that would read the phone book if Ilona and Gordon wrote it. I love that the Kate books are usually complete stories in each book, while also advancing the overall plot. There's none of the cliffhanger nonsense that is so prevalent in UF these days.

Honestly, all I have to do is see the word cliffhanger and that's it for me. I typically won't pick the book up until the next one resolving the cliffhanger is out. The problem is that usually by the time I have to wait for two books to come out, I've completely lost interest in the series. For example, I loved Dark Fever, and rolled right into Blood Fever, but then I heard that the next two books were hellish cliffhangers, so I put the series down, and to this day, even though I have books 3 and 4 sitting on my shelf, I haven't bothered to pick the series back up. (Well, to be fair, part of the reason I haven't read them is that I got them through PBS, but I really hate reading physical books, so the paperbacks tend to just sit around for awhile  :P).

Yes yes and yes to hating cliffhangers. I agree with the Kate Daniels series and how at least that books story is resolved. I just love this series and I think I am just going to skip the novellas.
I did read the fever series, but I waited until right before the 5th book came out and I read them all in one weekend. I knew there would be cliffhangers so I was prepared. i looked at it as one long story. I just could not stop once I started. Biggest cliffhanger for me was at end of book 4.
But in general, I do not like cliffhangers, in any of my reading. If I know there is one, I won't even bother. Fever was an exception I have not repeated.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2013, 06:16:58 AM »
Angel's Ink by Jocelynn Drake is currently FREE on Amazon. This is the first book of her new series and it's high on my wishlist - the hero is a magical tattoo artist. This book is published by Harper Collins, so I have no idea if this is a pricing error or how long the deal will last. I did notice that the second book will be out at the beginning of May, so maybe that's the reason for the deal. The two prequel novellas are $0.99.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
Thanks for the tip!  I picked it up.

Offline GreenThumb

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
    • Linda's Garden
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:48 AM »
Me, too!

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2013, 09:08:55 AM »
Apparently it's the Nook free Friday book, so the price will only be good today.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
Angel's Ink by Jocelynn Drake is currently FREE on Amazon. This is the first book of her new series and it's high on my wishlist - the hero is a magical tattoo artist. This book is published by Harper Collins, so I have no idea if this is a pricing error or how long the deal will last. I did notice that the second book will be out at the beginning of May, so maybe that's the reason for the deal. The two prequel novellas are $0.99.

Thanks!

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »

WOO! Yesss. Thank you for letting me know! This has been on my TBR for a while. :)

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »
Here are a couple of bargains that I've come across this week. I know the Jocelynn Drake deal is ending April 30. I don't know about the others, but as always, grab 'em quick if you want them.

All of the books in Jocelynn Drake's Dark Days series are on sale for $0.99. I haven't read them, but I had the first, second, and sixth already so I was pretty happy to fill in the others. The first book is Nightwalker.

Hounded by Kevin Hearne, the first book in his Iron Druid series, is on sale for $2.99.

Blood and Bullets by James R. Tuck, the first book in his Deacon Chalk series, is on sale for $1.99. I've read both of the short novellas and I think I'm going to grab this.

A couple of Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress books are on sale (sorry, the linkmaker suddenly stopped working, so no links for these):
Once Burned - $1.99
First Drop of Crimson - $2.99
One Foot In the Grave - $2.99

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »
Wow, lots of fantastic deals there. Thank you, worktolive!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
Even though the last book in the Sookie Stackhouse series has not yet been released (not due out until May 7) apparently a bookstore in Germany put it out early, so spoilers are everywhere... even in a thread on Amazon. 

Offline SoHo79

• View Profile
    • Novel: Vampires of Arizona
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2013, 06:10:10 AM »
Funnily enough, I wasn't too crazy about the True Blood TV show, but I really liked the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »
Funnily enough, I wasn't too crazy about the True Blood TV show, but I really liked the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Right after I got my first Kindle, the bundle of the first eight books became available.  I read the sample for it and got hooked; I feel fortunate to have been able to read them all back to back without having to wait a year for each part of the story to come out.  When I would catch parts of True Blood on tv the characters seemed all wrong to me and when I finally did sit down to watch an episode the situations on the show did not really resemble the books at all... it's more like fan fiction.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
Right after I got my first Kindle, the bundle of the first eight books became available.  I read the sample for it and got hooked; I feel fortunate to have been able to read them all back to back without having to wait a year for each part of the story to come out.  

I had a similar experience. Soon after I got my first K, a friend was telling me about a new HBO show called True Blood, and asking if I'd seen it. I don't have HBO, so I hadn't seen it, but then she said it was based on a book series about vampires. I hadn't read any paranormal stuff for years, although I used to love it when I was younger, so I decided to check my Kindle, and lo and behold, the first 6+ books were available. I read those books back to back, and not only did it get me hooked on the Southern Vampires series, it hooked me on UF in general. Four years later I'm still reading UF, although I've pretty much stopped reading Sookie. I will probably pick up the last book, though, just to see how it ends.

I still haven't watched a single episode of True Blood, although Eric is mighty tempting...... ;)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2013, 08:31:11 AM »
I read the Sookie books first, well about 6 or 7 of them before I started watching the show. I totally flove the show, and I love the books. To me they are completely different entities. They are so different to me that I can enjoy both. I never think about the books when I watch and I never think about the TV show when I read them. Sounds odd, but that is how it is for me.

I just checked to see what my first UF read was and it was Sookie. I think Anita Blake was after that.

Looking back at my reading list I eased my way into PNR through Twilight.  ;D. I hadn't read PNR until my kindle in 2008. From there I went to some Dark Hunter, Black Dagger, Demonica and Nightwalkers. Those were my entry.

Now I should probably count form way back the John Sinclair pulp I read in my teenage years. I guess those were already UF before there was a label. But nobody here in the US knows those anyway.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »
I think Sookie and Twilight were the gateway drug to PNR/UF for a lot of us!  ;D

I read Twilight, then I started on the Southern Vamps, and after that, there was no going back.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
I couldn't resist. I had to look up the Sookie spoilers. Totally saw that coming. ;)

My first PNR was Christine Feehan's Carpathian Vampire series. In middle school, I sneaked them out of my mom's collection and read them under the covers. Heh. In retrospect, that was probably not the most age-appropriate place to begin.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
I couldn't resist. I had to look up the Sookie spoilers. Totally saw that coming. ;)

Oh, yeah, I looked also, but then again, I'm one of those weirdos that always reads the end of the book before I get halfway through it.  :o I hate suspense!

I was going to comment further, but I think I will wait till the book is officially out. Keeping this comment safe for those who don't want to be spoiled.  8)

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »

My first PNR was Christine Feehan's Carpathian Vampire series. In middle school, I sneaked them out of my mom's collection and read them under the covers. Heh. In retrospect, that was probably not the most age-appropriate place to begin.

Sometimes I like the suspense and sometimes not.  This time I had to look.  No way will I pay full price when I don't trust the author... I guess that's why sometimes I don't like suspense -- trust issues, plus I had a lot invested after reading 12 books.

I started my PNR/UF journey with Black Dagger Brotherhood and Keri Arthur, whose first book in her Riley Jensen series was offered as a freebie, I think.  I only got through the first couple of Riley Jensen books but I'm still reading BDB.

My mom wasn't a huge reader... too busy, I guess, but I don't think she'd be able to suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy UF or paranormal anything.

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
Now I should probably count form way back the John Sinclair pulp I read in my teenage years. I guess those were already UF before there was a label. But nobody here in the US knows those anyway.

I know them, but then I'm not in the US. And yes, John Sinclair, Professor Zamorra and others along the same lines are definitely proto-UF.

My first English language UF was Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Not sure what my first PNR was. Either Dark Lover by J.R. Ward or Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
I know them, but then I'm not in the US. And yes, John Sinclair, Professor Zamorra and others along the same lines are definitely proto-UF.

My first English language UF was Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Not sure what my first PNR was. Either Dark Lover by J.R. Ward or Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh.

I don't think Sinclair is translated to english. I did find some german language kindle books of it in the US store, but the irony of course is that I only read english books now. I have problems enjoying fiction in german now.
So they are UF. I wasn't sure. It wasn't a term I was familiar with. All I know is that I was addicted to those things back in the day. I would read them on my break on the construction sites when I was working as a painter. Quick reads at the time and I could get away for a while from the smell of paint and dirt.  ;D

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
I am just carefully sticking my nose in here. I have read the Sookie books up until "Dead and Gone"(book9) I heard some whispers here and there that there is some spoiler everywhere about the last book, number 13. So now I am "walking" on eggshells everywhere on reading sites. I do not under any circumstances want to be spoiled with anything.

So I am going to read the next 2 from the library, then I have to get #12 in paper from the library and the wait list for the last #13 is at 175  :o :o ;D ;D.

So until I read them all, I am going to stay away from reviews and most sites that talk about UF and PNR. People like to drop these hints when they say don't want to spoil, but just in the way someone says something can be enough to ruin it. Especially if one knows how someone was leaning throughout the series.

So I am going to read
and

back to back and that leaves me with only 2 to go. I want to just finish one of these darn series.  :P.