Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 58949 times)  

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »
I am just carefully sticking my nose in here. I have read the Sookie books up until "Dead and Gone"(book9) I heard some whispers here and there that there is some spoiler everywhere about the last book, number 13. So now I am "walking" on eggshells everywhere on reading sites. I do not under any circumstances want to be spoiled with anything.

So I am going to read the next 2 from the library, then I have to get #12 in paper from the library and the wait list for the last #13 is at 175  :o :o ;D ;D.

So until I read them all, I am going to stay away from reviews and most sites that talk about UF and PNR. People like to drop these hints when they say don't want to spoil, but just in the way someone says something can be enough to ruin it. Especially if one knows how someone was leaning throughout the series.

So I am going to read
and

back to back and that leaves me with only 2 to go. I want to just finish one of these darn series.  :P.

I wish I could loan you my copies of 10, 11, and 12.  The last one is pretty pricy, so I'm going to wait.

It's very disciplined of you to avoid spoilers... I"m not so strong.   :-X

Edited to add: Woo hoo!  My 500th post.  Good bye Jane B. Austin, hello Arthur!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:00:11 PM by Trophywife007 »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
Well, I don't know if I am getting old, or am I reading to many books. I am utterly confused reading "Dead in the Family".

I am 31% in and its getting a tad better, but I keep going, huh? all the time. Now I had to look and I read the book before this one in June of 2009. 3 years and everything fell out of my brain. That is one thing I really hate about UF stuff that is always series. By the time I get to another book in a series, I can barely remember whats what and who's who.

And now that I have read a lot of other books in the last 3 years and lots of UF and PNR. Were all the Sookie books so, can't think of the right word, fluffy? A bit vapid? Even the big bad vampires seem like wimps now. They read "young". I just can't think of the right words to describe how I feel.
I just can't remember from reading the other books if I felt like that then. Or maybe its because those are the UF that started it for me and I moved on?

I am determined to finish. I think it will be my first UF series actually finished and finished reading. I thought I was done with Fever until Moning expanded it all to a gazillion of more planned books.  ;D. I did not know that at the time though.

Edited to add: Woo hoo!  My 500th post.  Good bye Jane B. Austin, hello Arthur!
Wippersnapper.  ;D :P

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
And now that I have read a lot of other books in the last 3 years and lots of UF and PNR. Were all the Sookie books so, can't think of the right word, fluffy? A bit vapid? Even the big bad vampires seem like wimps now.

The later books definitely changed tonally. I felt like the earlier books had a lot more character, whereas the later ones were...well, fluffy seems like a good word for it. They were quick reads.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »
Ah, thanks. I thought they felt different, but I wasn't sure if it was just me. There just isn't as much "there" there with the characters. Its like they been through the copier one to many times and things are missing.

There is a reason I am a reader and not a writer. Fishing for the right words can take a while for me.  ;D

Offline Sondrae Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
Ooo, there are some good ones here I haven't read yet. My TBR pile is about to get much bigger.  :D

I second, third, forth:
Both of Patricia Briggs' series. She never lets me down, and I have re-read all of them multiple times.

Also,
Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark series (A Hunger Like No Other)
Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling Series (Slave to Sensation)
Shelly Laurenston's Pride (and Dragonkin series under G.A. Aiken) - Love, love, love her humor!
Karen Marie Moning's Fever series (Darkfever)

And:
Love the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent (My Soul to Take) which is YA, but a great series.

Also, on the sexier side, almost anything by: Dana Marie Bell, Rebecca Royce, and Eve Langlais.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »
Well, I don't know if I am getting old, or am I reading to many books. I am utterly confused reading "Dead in the Family".

I am 31% in and its getting a tad better, but I keep going, huh? all the time. Now I had to look and I read the book before this one in June of 2009. 3 years and everything fell out of my brain. That is one thing I really hate about UF stuff that is always series. By the time I get to another book in a series, I can barely remember whats what and who's who.

And now that I have read a lot of other books in the last 3 years and lots of UF and PNR. Were all the Sookie books so, can't think of the right word, fluffy? A bit vapid? Even the big bad vampires seem like wimps now. They read "young". I just can't think of the right words to describe how I feel.
I just can't remember from reading the other books if I felt like that then. Or maybe its because those are the UF that started it for me and I moved on?

I am determined to finish. I think it will be my first UF series actually finished and finished reading. I thought I was done with Fever until Moning expanded it all to a gazillion of more planned books.  ;D. I did not know that at the time though.

Many people think Harris was influenced by the True Blood series and/or her own fan base's reaction to TB and the book characters -- almost a backlash against them.

I know Moning has more books planned for the "Fever" world, even more with Mac and Barrons, but I do think of the 5 books as a complete series... at least in my mind, FWIW.

Wippersnapper.  ;D :P

At the rate I'm going, I don't know that I'll ever get up to over 5,000 posts, like you have!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
Ooo, there are some good ones here I haven't read yet. My TBR pile is about to get much bigger.  :D

I second, third, forth:
Both of Patricia Briggs' series. She never lets me down, and I have re-read all of them multiple times.

Also,
Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark series (A Hunger Like No Other)
Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling Series (Slave to Sensation)
Shelly Laurenston's Pride (and Dragonkin series under G.A. Aiken) - Love, love, love her humor!
Karen Marie Moning's Fever series (Darkfever)

And:
Love the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent (My Soul to Take) which is YA, but a great series.

Also, on the sexier side, almost anything by: Dana Marie Bell, Rebecca Royce, and Eve Langlais.

I'm going to check out the dragons.  Thanks for the rec!

I haven't read Singh's Psy/Changeling series but I love her Guild Hunter series.

Offline Sondrae Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
I'm going to check out the dragons.  Thanks for the rec!

I haven't read Singh's Psy/Changeling series but I love her Guild Hunter series.

The first book in her Dragonkin series is, in my opinion, the worst of the bunch. I stopped reading the series after the first and only later picked it back up. So if you don't absolutely love the first one, I would encourage to at least try the second. The series is well worth it. In my opinion, Shelly Laurenston weaves humor into her novels brilliantly.

I actually haven't read Singh's Guild Hunter series (although it's on my TBR pile). I'm only about half way through the Psy/Changeling series, but have loved every one so far.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »
I'm a big fan of Shelly Laurenston/GA Aiken, both the dragon series and her shifter series (Magnus Pack and Pride), however, she's definitely not for everyone. Her characters are completely over the top, almost caricatures, and I find them to be hilarious, but I can see where others might not like her. Give her a try, and see what you think.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »
A couple of bargains today (I love it when the first book in a series on my wish list goes on sale so that I can give it a try at a lower price  ;D).

Wicked As They Come by Delilah Dawson, $2.99

Dark Descendent and Deadly Descendent by Jenna Black, both $2.99. I've read these and liked them a lot. They are based on mythology and are definitely UF (ie, the plot and action are more of a focus, although there is some romance developing).

Influential Magic by Deanna Chase, $0.99. This one is self-pubbed. I liked the description so I just downloaded a sample. If the grammar is okay and the sample grabs me, I will probably get it.

Finally, I just picked up Illegal Magic by Arlene Blakely, $0.99. The sample was cute and I'm a sucker for plots where the lead is a non-magical member of a magical family.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
All are new to me... thanks for the recs!

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
I am reading Magic Strikes right now

The 3rd in the Kate Daniels series. I just flove this world, and Kate.

But after this one is where my annoyance starts. I am looking at goodreads for the upcoming reading order and I notice that short stories and short novellas are now being placed in between the books. Ugh. I hate that. I hate the intertwining of  stories with short stuff.
I am a OCD read in order type reader but I prefer full length books. I get confused when all these short things pop up in this or that anthology. I won't buy an anthology for just one story out of it, I don't like short stuff.

So Magic Mourns is the next one in the series, a short thingy after Magic Strikes. So its called 3.5. Later we even get into 5.4 and 5.5 stuff. That is getting ridiculous.

So now what do I do, skip that Magic Mourns after I am done with Magic strikes? But then what will I miss, I hate that. They sell the short for 2.99 on amazon and for me that is too much for it. The library doesn't have it. Ugh.

I stopped reading Kerilyn Kenyon because of this short mess inserted all over the place. And the intermingling of other characters stories in the series.

I just want to read book 1 through 8 or whatever. I don't want to have to hunt down chunks of story.

My rant for this Monday.  :-X

I think you can skip the shorts--those were all done after the fact (after the books were written) and are usually about side characters.  Even when about Kate or Curran, they are not events mentioned in the novels that I have noticed.   I have NOT read them, but I look at them all and I have been up on the series from the start--The last two books were completed (written) over two years ago from what the blog states. The were under contract with the whole series but only scheduled to put out one book per year.  So they have been writing these little side things, mostly on their own (they are usually only ebooks and not even in an antho) . There was an interesting blog post a year or two ago about how they got slammed for typos in some of the early novellas.  Since they were used to having an editor, they didn't get the novellas edited.    Even at 99 cents people let them know that typos and schlocky covers were not appreciated.   :o She did a whole post on how she learned software for cover art. I don't know who they hire for copyediting.  I can't recall if she said. 

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
A couple of bargains today (I love it when the first book in a series on my wish list goes on sale so that I can give it a try at a lower price  ;D).

Wicked As They Come by Delilah Dawson, $2.99

Dark Descendent and Deadly Descendent by Jenna Black, both $2.99. I've read these and liked them a lot. They are based on mythology and are definitely UF (ie, the plot and action are more of a focus, although there is some romance developing).

Influential Magic by Deanna Chase, $0.99. This one is self-pubbed. I liked the description so I just downloaded a sample. If the grammar is okay and the sample grabs me, I will probably get it.

Finally, I just picked up Illegal Magic by Arlene Blakely, $0.99. The sample was cute and I'm a sucker for plots where the lead is a non-magical member of a magical family.

I grabbed Dark Descendant and am reading it now. Thank you for the heads up! (again!)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »
The first in the Chicago Vampire series by Chloe Neill is on sale for $2.99

I love this series.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

Offline zandermarks

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Yardwalker Press
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
Dresden when he stays in Chicago...not so much into the underworld stuff as my personal preference.
Early Odd Thomas...again, until Koontz takes the series into apocalyptic/sci-fi territory.

I guess I like my supernatural characters to keep their feet on the ground. :-)

I've heard good things about Sookie, but I didn't get into it for some reason.
Zander Marks, author of:  Death Ain't But A Word: A Supernatural Hot Mess

The critics are addicted to a crackhead who sees ghosts.

Midwest Book Review: "Highly Recommended -- An enticing blend
of the paranormal and urban fiction."
San Francisco Book Review: "★★★★★ -- Hilarious and heartwarming...
Impossible to put down and impossible not to love."
Fantasy Review Barn: "★★★★★ -- The perfect example of Urban Fantasy done right."
Kirkus Reviews: "A sixth-sense thriller with a twist...a new urban-fantasy subgenre...
a thought-provoking story...An imaginative, offbeat urban-fantasy."

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »

I love this series.

Oof, I'm glad I grabbed it on sale. (And thank you for letting me know, by the way.) It's back to the full price of $12.99. I don't mind paying as much as $8 for ebooks, but $13 a book is such a money investment when you're starting on a series...

I just read and adored Wide Open by Deborah Coates, which is on sale for $2.99:

It's a really moody, atmospheric urban fantasy novel. There's not much romance, although our tough-as-nails veteran heroine does get emotionally involved with Deputy Hotness. I didn't like the sequel as much (it wandered way too much), but the first one is definitely on my "favorite reads of the year" list now. Even though it's a year old. Heh.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »

I love this series.

I owe you extra thanks for this rec. I've inhaled five of these books in the last 3-4 days, and I can't remember the last time I read a series so quickly. The thing with the hero kinda made my eyes bulge, though. That was...ballsy.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »
I owe you extra thanks for this rec. I've inhaled five of these books in the last 3-4 days, and I can't remember the last time I read a series so quickly. The thing with the hero kinda made my eyes bulge, though. That was...ballsy.

I was exactly the same with this series. I just couldn't stop reading. Got hooked like crazy from the first chapter on. Happens rarely like that for me. Fever series by Moning was another one like that for me.

You are welcome. Anytime  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
First in the Immortals after Dark series is on sale for $1.99.

Has anyone read the Arcadia Bell series? I been hearing about it a bit on Goodreads. Never heard of the author before.

Sounds like its about demons and occultists and such pleasant things.  ;D. I might try a sample.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »
I recently read Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost which is the second entry in her series featuring Vlad Tepesh.  While Cat and Bones are still my favorite, this spin off series is much more enjoyable (to me) than the one featuring "Spade" and "Mencheres."  I wasn't sure I was all that fond of the heroine at first but by the end everything came out okay.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »

Has anyone read the Arcadia Bell series? I been hearing about it a bit on Goodreads. Never heard of the author before.

Sounds like its about demons and occultists and such pleasant things.  ;D. I might try a sample.

I LOVE this series. It's especially good if you like a some romance with your UF. Arcadia (Cady) is a fantastic heroine - ballsy, but not pigheaded. The worldbuilding is different. Basically, there are witches, and there are "earthbound" demons, who are just like regular people except that they have some kind of special "knack" or skill. Cady is a strong witch who's been in hiding for years due to accusations against her family. She tries to figure out what happened previously to her parents. On the way, she gets involved with Lon, an earthbound demon. There is a big age difference between them (she's 25, he's 40-ish), and he has a teenage son, but she's very mature and part of the fun is watching the two of them get together and work out their relationship issues. Highly, highly recommended.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
I LOVE this series. It's especially good if you like a some romance with your UF. Arcadia (Cady) is a fantastic heroine - ballsy, but not pigheaded. The worldbuilding is different. Basically, there are witches, and there are "earthbound" demons, who are just like regular people except that they have some kind of special "knack" or skill. Cady is a strong witch who's been in hiding for years due to accusations against her family. She tries to figure out what happened previously to her parents. On the way, she gets involved with Lon, an earthbound demon. There is a big age difference between them (she's 25, he's 40-ish), and he has a teenage son, but she's very mature and part of the fun is watching the two of them get together and work out their relationship issues. Highly, highly recommended.

Thanks, I think.  ;D. Just what I need, another series to get hooked on. I'll check it out.

Here is a "oldie" on sale for .99 cents.

First published in 1999. Was that like one of the first PNR novels? I read it a while back and it was a bit weird to me. Maybe a sign of the time it was written in, no clue. But I didn't like it too much so I never continued with the Carpathian series.

And here is another series I have heard good things about, but the books never dropped below 7.99 and I don't feel like reading the paper version from the library. No library ebook available.
The first is on sale for $3.79. Anyone read this series?
Darynda Jones- First Grave on the right.

Oh, and the first in the Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost is on sale for $1.99
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:44:52 PM by Atunah »

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »
I happen to love stories about Necromancers and Grim Reapers (weird, I know  ::)), so I've read First Grave on the Right. I picked it up for $2.99 on a previous sale. The heroine has ADD and is pretty snarky, but not obnoxious about it. I didn't find it quite as funny as many have, but for a first book it was pretty good. Since I wasn't completely sold on it, I decided to get the second book through Paperback Swap instead of paying full price for it, only I had to wait a full year for it. I'm finally #1 on the waitlist, so I should be getting a copy in the next week or two. Hopefully I will like it, since I bought Book 4 when it was on sale a few months ago  :o

Here's a freebie for everyone. Jennifer Estep's short story contribution to the Carniepunk anthology is currently free. This is a short story in her Elemental Assassin world - Gin and Bria visit a carnival and mayhem ensues (as it always does whenever Gin shows up  :P)

Offline GreenThumb

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
    • Linda's Garden
« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2013, 01:15:40 AM »
I happen to love stories about Necromancers and Grim Reapers (weird, I know  ::)), so I've read First Grave on the Right. I picked it up for $2.99 on a previous sale. The heroine has ADD and is pretty snarky, but not obnoxious about it. I didn't find it quite as funny as many have, but for a first book it was pretty good. Since I wasn't completely sold on it, I decided to get the second book through Paperback Swap instead of paying full price for it, only I had to wait a full year for it. I'm finally #1 on the waitlist, so I should be getting a copy in the next week or two. Hopefully I will like it, since I bought Book 4 when it was on sale a few months ago  :o

Here's a freebie for everyone. Jennifer Estep's short story contribution to the Carniepunk anthology is currently free. This is a short story in her Elemental Assassin world - Gin and Bria visit a carnival and mayhem ensues (as it always does whenever Gin shows up  :P)

Ooooh, thanks!  I love the Elemental Assassin books!  I'm definitely getting the full version of "Carniepunk" when it comes out, especially for the Kevin Hearne story.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac