Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 59504 times)  

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 07:06:22 AM »
I seem to be in the minority because I'm still enjoying Sookie Stackhouse. It's not a series where I'm dying to get my hands on the next one, but I think they are still fun, light reads. I like that Charlaine Harris isn't afraid to kill off characters, and I'm still hoping that Sookie and Sam will realize that they belong together.

For the younger crowd, I recently read Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series and really enjoyed it. I'm interested in reading his other series now, too.
Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Friend me at Goodreads

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 07:33:02 AM »
I seem to be in the minority because I'm still enjoying Sookie Stackhouse. It's not a series where I'm dying to get my hands on the next one, but I think they are still fun, light reads. I like that Charlaine Harris isn't afraid to kill off characters, and I'm still hoping that Sookie and Sam will realize that they belong together.

For the younger crowd, I recently read Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series and really enjoyed it. I'm interested in reading his other series now, too.

I think that is one of the reasons I stopped reading sookie.  Too many boyfriends and I kept hoping she'd get together with Sam and then I just gave up because Sam was more and more in the background.  Even if I heard that she managed to pull off a Sam/Sookie, I'd still skip the books inbetween!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »
I like that Charlaine Harris isn't afraid to kill off characters, and I'm still hoping that Sookie and Sam will realize that they belong together.

According to some ladies on another site that discuss Sookie and other stories, you may get your wish!  We're all pretty "upset" that we've been led along with Eric for all these many books when it will wind up being Sam after all.  With all the page time being devoted to Eric there's been little to get us emotionally involved with Sam.  Now with the way the last one ended, it's practically a done deal, imo!

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »
According to some ladies on another site that discuss Sookie and other stories, you may get your wish!  We're all pretty "upset" that we've been led along with Eric for all these many books when it will wind up being Sam after all.  With all the page time being devoted to Eric there's been little to get us emotionally involved with Sam.  Now with the way the last one ended, it's practically a done deal, imo!

And that's the problem I have with some of these long running series (Janet Evanovich, I'm looking at you).  The saga goes on too long (romance angle) and changes so many times...and after a while you sort of realize you're reading a soap opera and I start to feel conned into buying more books...instead of getting an actual story.  Sookie didn't feel so much like a soap opera, but I did get tired of the everyone loves sookie.  Every man, woman, child, shifter, barn, star...just EVERYONE.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »
... I start to feel conned into buying more books...instead of getting an actual story.  Sookie didn't feel so much like a soap opera, but I did get tired of the everyone loves sookie.  Every man, woman, child, shifter, barn, star...just EVERYONE.

Lol!  Yes, exactly.

Offline Eliza Baum

• Nashville, TN
    • View Profile
    • Books and More
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:09 AM »
I've got over 50 books in my "up next series" shelf on goodreads that I'm trying to whittle down to a reasonable number.

I never thought about it before, but I need one of these shelves! It might take me some time to get organized, but it would probably be worth it. I love UF and PNR, but I'm intimidated by all these gigantic series--a) trying to keep up with them, and b) having any hope of ever finishing them. I do much better with shorter series (say, a trilogy) that I can read all in one long weekend, but those are harder to find outside of YA, I think. I read a lot of YA, but I think UF, in particular, is better at the grown-up level.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:54 AM »
I never thought about it before, but I need one of these shelves! It might take me some time to get organized, but it would probably be worth it. I love UF and PNR, but I'm intimidated by all these gigantic series--a) trying to keep up with them, and b) having any hope of ever finishing them. I do much better with shorter series (say, a trilogy) that I can read all in one long weekend, but those are harder to find outside of YA, I think. I read a lot of YA, but I think UF, in particular, is better at the grown-up level.

I like the shorter series too, but I think we're in the minority.  For a short-ish series, you might like the John Levitt books.  There are 4 I think.  Not much romance (although what is there is told from the guy POV and I think he did a great job of it.  None of the typical paranormal romance lines for the hero!)

Or one that is just starting so is easier to keep up with is J.C. Daniels Blade Song--it's a cross between paranormal romance and UF.  Bit on the violent side, but good stuff.

I tend to read three or four in a series and then wander off. 

Offline Eliza Baum

• Nashville, TN
    • View Profile
    • Books and More
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 07:13:41 AM »
I like the shorter series too, but I think we're in the minority.  For a short-ish series, you might like the John Levitt books.  There are 4 I think.  Not much romance (although what is there is told from the guy POV and I think he did a great job of it.  None of the typical paranormal romance lines for the hero!)

Or one that is just starting so is easier to keep up with is J.C. Daniels Blade Song--it's a cross between paranormal romance and UF.  Bit on the violent side, but good stuff.

These both sound good. Added them to my TBR list. Thanks! :)

I tend to read three or four in a series and then wander off. 

I do this, too.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 07:57:21 AM »
Calling all UF Fans--I'm always gushing about Frank Tuttle's work--he happens to have a free Halloween short story up for a read:

http://www.franktuttle.com/podcast1/badluck.htm

(There is an audio of it, read by him.  I'm not an audio person so I can't speak to whether it's any good in audio.  I didn't listen.) 

There's probably a way to direct link to the audio, but I can't figure it out.  Just go to his blog and scroll through the very long current post.  At the end of the post is the link to audio and html:

http://frank-tuttle.blogspot.com/

So, now you can get an idea of the characterization and atmosphere that is typical of many of his stories.  This particular story involves YA characters, but I think it has some of his "classic" Tuttle style.  I think you can save the HTML and send to your Kindle, (but you're kind of on your own there as I just read it online).   Most of Tuttle's shorts are fairly long.  This one too me 20 minutes or so to read.  Good story with good development.

Offline mscottwriter

• Michigan
  • The Devil Never Forgets a Deal
    • View Profile
    • Urban Fae
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
I love these kinds of books as well.  Sookie, of course,  ;D but also: and and

There are too many great UF/PNR titles out there, lol.

Vampires, evil spirits, bad boyfriends, and true love...that is what my fiction is all about.

I write urban fantasy.
Michelle Scott | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Ahhhh, I need to stop adding things to my list  :D

Now witch based, I haven't read anything yet. I don't think I am ready yet for that  :P.

I am starting to get confused with all these supernatural beings and stuff. Since each author and series has their own way of explaining things, reading a book in series from this and then that and back to another, I start mixing things up.  :o

I do find if funny that in for example Chicago Vampire series, Vampires are perfectly kissable and cut, but in the Kate Daniels series, Vampires are utterly disgusting slithering beings with on redeeming quality or anything human.  ;D

I am perfectly fine with either way, as long as the stories and characters are well done.

You know, this wandering off after 4 in a series is something I think I do too. When I go look back through my reading records, I haven't finished many series. The ones I do finish like the Fever series is at least done in 5 books. I think 5 is a number I like. Although I still like the Chicago Vampire series and I just devoured #5 after being  :o :o at the end of #4.
Now there is only one left for now, #6 and then planned upcoming for who knows how long.

But the longer I stop reading a series, the less likely I pick it up again. There is just so much stuff out there to read.

I keep reading about Tuttle, I might have to give him a read. Not anytime soon though.

Murphy's law is hitting me again where library wait lists are coming up all at the same time  ::). There have been weeks and many people in front of me. I staged it just right. But nooooo, they all come at once  :D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline mscottwriter

• Michigan
  • The Devil Never Forgets a Deal
    • View Profile
    • Urban Fae
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

Now witch based, I haven't read anything yet. I don't think I am ready yet for that  :P.

I am starting to get confused with all these supernatural beings and stuff. Since each author and series has their own way of explaining things, reading a book in series from this and then that and back to another, I start mixing things up.  :o

I do find if funny that in for example Chicago Vampire series, Vampires are perfectly kissable and cut, but in the Kate Daniels series, Vampires are utterly disgusting slithering beings with on redeeming quality or anything human.  ;D

Witch books are a lot of fun.  Sometimes, I get tired of vamps and weres.

Lol about some vampires being kissable.  Black Dagger Brotherhood vamps are definitely in that spectrum; although, the ones in the Patricia Briggs books are definitely not!  Personally, I like vamps of the non-kissable kind (BDB is one exception!)
Vampires, evil spirits, bad boyfriends, and true love...that is what my fiction is all about.

I write urban fantasy.
Michelle Scott | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
You really, REALLY have to stop reading the books after Obsidian Butterfly, but my favorite UF/PNR is still the first few Anita Blake books, by Laurell K Hamilton. They're classics.

Just... don't read Narcissus in Chains. Or anything after that. Trust me.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
You really, REALLY have to stop reading the books after Obsidian Butterfly, but my favorite UF/PNR is still the first few Anita Blake books, by Laurell K Hamilton. They're classics.

Just... don't read Narcissus in Chains. Or anything after that. Trust me.

What she said.  Only I'm not even so sure about the Butterfly one. There was some stomach turning details in that one too if I recall correctly and I am trying very hard to forget I ever read anything in that series.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »

I am perfectly fine with either way, as long as the stories and characters are well done.

You know, this wandering off after 4 in a series is something I think I do too. When I go look back through my reading records, I haven't finished many series. The ones I do finish like the Fever series is at least done in 5 books. I think 5 is a number I like. Although I still like the Chicago Vampire series and I just devoured #5 after being  :o :o at the end of #4.
Now there is only one left for now, #6 and then planned upcoming for who knows how long.

But the longer I stop reading a series, the less likely I pick it up again. There is just so much stuff out there to read.

I keep reading about Tuttle, I might have to give him a read. Not anytime soon though.

Murphy's law is hitting me again where library wait lists are coming up all at the same time  ::). There have been weeks and many people in front of me. I staged it just right. But nooooo, they all come at once  :D

WHAT???  You haven't tried witches???  YOU ARE SO MISSING OUT.  Well, it's possible I'm biased.  But my own bias aside, there's a great short story by Briggs that introduces a witch character.  I will see if I can find it.  I'm not sure if it was stand alone or not.  It is a witch from the Alpha and Omega series. 

The Kim Harrison series is pretty good and not a bad place to start with witches.  Let me think.  There are some AWESOME witches in J. C Daniel's Blade Song and if I recall your preferences, you like your Urban Fantasy leaning to romance, so that would fit the bill.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »
What she said.  Only I'm not even so sure about the Butterfly one. There was some stomach turning details in that one too if I recall correctly and I am trying very hard to forget I ever read anything in that series.

Obsidian Butterfly is my favorite. I must have read it a dozen times, but then again, I love the icky stuff! And Edward. Mmm... Edward.

But then the "gore ick" turns into "sex ick" in the books after that, and the "plot" turns into "people talking in circles about how much everyone loves Anita," and it's just awful.

Kim Harrison is a very good launching point for witchy UF. Kind of a must-read, actually. I'd consider her books to be a UF staple.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »
 ;D Didn't I just say I can't add any more stuff?

Fine fine.  :P

I had to check what the last Anita Blake book was I read and it was
The Killing Dance #6. So the next one would be Burnt Offerings. There are 2 books I haven't read yet before the Butterfly one. But I read the last I read back in July 2010 and since I keep reading how bad it gets, I might as well not pick it up again.

I'll check on the Witches.  ;D. I am going to need more shelves on goodreads to separate the creatures and beings in the books.  :D

I could have sworn I had a freebie from Kim Harrison, but its not showing up in my account. I know I have a witch freebie from a series. This is going to drive me nuts.

eat: sorry about any spell messes, I have a cat on me, sprawled and he is better after being sick. So he gets to do what he wants.  ::). Which means I have to twist sideways into a pretzel to type on my netbook that is precariously perched on the edge of the table.

Cat ownership is not for sissies.  :D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
;D Didn't I just say I can't add any more stuff?

Fine fine.  :P

I had to check what the last Anita Blake book was I read and it was
The Killing Dance #6. So the next one would be Burnt Offerings. There are 2 books I haven't read yet before the Butterfly one. But I read the last I read back in July 2010 and since I keep reading how bad it gets, I might as well not pick it up again.

I'll check on the Witches.  ;D. I am going to need more shelves on goodreads to separate the creatures and beings in the books.  :D

I could have sworn I had a freebie from Kim Harrison, but its not showing up in my account. I know I have a witch freebie from a series. This is going to drive me nuts.

eat: sorry about any spell messes, I have a cat on me, sprawled and he is better after being sick. So he gets to do what he wants.  ::). Which means I have to twist sideways into a pretzel to type on my netbook that is precariously perched on the edge of the table.

Cat ownership is not for sissies.  :D

Cat ownership is NOT for sissies.  Definitely.  You're not missing anything stopping at book 6.  Really the best one was probably book one and book 2.  After that, before the other stupid stuff, there were a couple of extremely violent ones that totally put me off.

If there was a Kim Harrison freebie, I'd be surprised.  It's a very well-known series and I'd be bummed if one went free and I missed it.   ;D

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »
You'll have to be bummed, sorry. Dead Witch Walking by Harrison was a freebie on March 1st 2010.  ;D

I finally found it. For some reason it didn't find it searching by author.

Over the years I got some really good freebies. The first in the Fever series by Moning was also a freebie. That is how I got hooked.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
I have three cats. All of them think that "SMR is reading" means "SMR is doing nothing whatsoever and needs to pet us all at once." I can't remember the last time I actually "read" my Kindle without a big fat cat laying on top of it.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »
You'll have to be bummed, sorry. Dead Witch Walking by Harrison was a freebie on March 1st 2010.  ;D

I finally found it. For some reason it didn't find it searching by author.

Over the years I got some really good freebies. The first in the Fever series by Moning was also a freebie. That is how I got hooked.

Oh, I'd already read it.  Although I'd probably have grabbed it for Kindle anyway...maybe.  I can be contrary with books I've read. Or books I haven't for that matter....

Offline Groggy1

• Milwaukee
  • Reading and fishing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »
....  I can be contrary with books I've read. Or books I haven't for that matter....

so I get the feeling you might be a bit contrary....  :D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »
so I get the feeling you might be a bit contrary....  :D

Ha!  I keep it well-hidden, I'll have you know...

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »
I just finished Biting Cold, the 6th book in the Chicagoland Vampires.  The next one is out in Feb. I think.  I've really enjoyed this series so far -- love the two main characters and their chemistry together.

I'm not certain what I'll start next.  I've heard great things about Ilona Andrews' series and the Signs of the Zodiac series by Vicki Pettersson comes highly recommended too.  The first one in the series was a freebie some time ago.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »
I haven't read the Chicagoland Vampires series. Is it more on the PNR side, or UF side?