Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 59231 times)  

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »
I haven't read the Chicagoland Vampires series. Is it more on the PNR side, or UF side?

Hmmm, hard to say.  There's definitely a romance but there are also definitely supernatural type problems/mysteries to be solved, so it's not all about romance, although it's always kind of humming in the background.  The series starts out with Merit being turned so you feel as if you're starting right at the beginning with her.  I guess I'd call it PNR.

For my next read I'm looking into Molly Harper's "Nice Girls Don't" series.  

She also wrote the "Naked Werewolf" books which I haven't read:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:29:00 AM by Trophywife007 »

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 09:48:23 AM »
Hmmm, hard to say.  There's definitely a romance but there are also definitely supernatural type problems/mysteries to be solved, so it's not all about romance, although it's always kind of humming in the background.  The series starts out with Merit being turned so you feel as if you're starting right at the beginning with her.  I guess I'd call it PNR.

For my next read I'm looking into Molly Harper's "Nice Girls Don't" series.  

She also wrote the "Naked Werewolf" books which I haven't read:

I liked Driving Mr. Dead by Molly Harper, but The werewolf book was a DNF.  It was quite good until about halfway through where it sort of started wandering for me and then I wandered off.  I think it was a bit too fluffy and obvious to me who the bad buy was and where it was going.  Telegraphed a bit early.  I still have it in paperback and may finish it.  I really like her light writing style, but I found the plotting and writing a bit uneven in the werewolf one.  Some of the scenes and development seemed so RUSHED to me that I found myself just getting annoyed so I stopped reading.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
Hmmm, I consider the Chicago Vampire series UF.
For me PNR implies very much a romance, usually in the same book. So like the Ward Lover series. Still series but a couple per book. Maybe I am not really clear on UF. But when I pick up UF, I don't necessarily expect a romance. But I prefer those that have a strong romantic theme running through. So I usually try to pick UF with that in mind.  

So what would Sookie be then. I mean the series was kind of a who is who in doing Sookie  :D.

I am agitated because the last of the released Chicago Vampire books (#6) has a wait list at my library. I am 10 out of 10 and nobody is turning it in until mid November.  :(. Then when I read that one I have to wait so looooooooooong for another new one. Its one of the few series I have encountered where I am really addicted too. There will be 2 new books I think in 2013.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:02:18 AM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Hmmm, I consider the Chicago Vampire series UF.
For me PNR implies very much a romance, usually in the same book. So like the Ward Lover series. Still series but a couple per book. Maybe I am not really clear on UF. But when I pick up UF, I don't necessarily expect a romance. But I prefer those that have a strong romantic theme running through. So I usually try to pick UF with that in mind.  

So what would Sookie be then. I mean the series was kind of a who is who in doing Sookie  :D.

I am agitated because the last of the released Chicago Vampire books (#6) has a wait list at my library. I am 10 out of 10 and nobody is turning it in until mid November.  :(. Then when I read that one I have to wait so looooooooooong for another new one. Its one of the few series I have encountered where I am really addicted too. There will be 2 new books I think in 2013.

Thanks for the clarification.  I did start wondering about the differences, since there can be overlap.  You bring up a good point -- that each book is not a single distinct romance in the Chicagoland series or in the Sookie Stackhouse series, so maybe both are UF.  BDB does focus on a distinct couple in each book so that would be PNR.  I like having a better definition.  Thanks!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
I liked Driving Mr. Dead by Molly Harper, but The werewolf book was a DNF.  It was quite good until about halfway through where it sort of started wandering for me and then I wandered off.  I think it was a bit too fluffy and obvious to me who the bad buy was and where it was going.  Telegraphed a bit early.  I still have it in paperback and may finish it.  I really like her light writing style, but I found the plotting and writing a bit uneven in the werewolf one.  Some of the scenes and development seemed so RUSHED to me that I found myself just getting annoyed so I stopped reading.

I very much appreciate the heads up on the werewolf series.  Thank you!

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I did start wondering about the differences, since there can be overlap.  You bring up a good point -- that each book is not a single distinct romance in the Chicagoland series or in the Sookie Stackhouse series, so maybe both are UF.  BDB does focus on a distinct couple in each book so that would be PNR.  I like having a better definition.  Thanks!

Or as a friend of mine would say (at least about the sookie ones) 'Her relationships are a red hot mess."   So, no they aren't what you'd call "romantic" by any means.  But I dunno.  There is a pretty heavy focus on the relationship parts of Sookie, so I personally wouldn't call them UF.  Well they are UF.  But I am usually careful about recommending them as such because the relationships take over the plotting in a couple I read.  Whether there was happily ever after or just saga in the end...so they aren't paranormal "romance" per se... 

Offline MichelleH

• Queens, NY
    • View Profile
    • M E Harmon Author's Blog
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
I fell hard into UF reading the Anita Blake series. 

However I think she (Hamilton) is a good example. Often the series start off with a bang but kind of fizzle as the books continue on.  Its kind of like how recording artists have a first album that's mind blowing but the second, third, fourth releases aren't as good.

Same goes for the Charlaine Harris books - I've read a few and wasn't wowed by them but kept on reading.
Kim Harrison - ok
Dresden Files - ok
Mercy Thompson - ok
Merry Gentry - Juicy
Black Dagger Brotherhood - barf (but I don't like romance)  The names of the brothers were cool though.

I like more action in my fantasy and less romance.  It's been tough finding a good series, with likeable characters and exciting scenes. 

Maybe I want thriller urban fantasy. 

M.E. Harmon | website

Offline cekilgore

• Love is like a wormhole...
    • View Profile
    • C.E. Kilgore, An Author Without Genre
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
What a lively topic already. This thread has really expanded my reading list!  :D

Or as a friend of mine would say (at least about the sookie ones) 'Her relationships are a red hot mess." 

Felt the same way, but I thought they were fun.

I had the same impression that others have mentioned about the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, as well as her League series (Science Fiction Romance) -very hit and miss.. sometimes it felt like she was trying too hard with coming up with unique scenes that she hasn't already written three times, or had an editor breathing down her neck. (maybe there is such a thing as too many volumes in a series? lol)

I actually just started Blade Song... and from what I've read in this thread I wont be disappointed.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
Blade Song rocks.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
In my quest to defeat Murphy's law and work my way through the library loans, I started the 3rd in the Mercy Thomson series

I am liking this series. I get giggles out of the german they put in this series.  ;D

I also just came back from the library to drop some stuff off and I picked up the book that has been in hold for me
Karen Marie Moning - Iced

I am such a huge fan of the Fever series so I will give it a try. I am not a fan at all of Dani, who this is about but I figured I couldn't stand Mac either in the Fever series in the beginning. If anyone can make it work I guess its Moning.

I got the hard cover from the library as my local didn't have the ebook yet. It just came up at another library I have  a card at with one copy and already like 50 people on wait list.  :D. So I thought, I can handle paper.

HOLY COW that thing is heavy. Even when I read paper books, it was usually mass market for cost, unless it was Stephen King. I have to read King in hard cover.  ;D. The pages look fringed, I have no clue what the term for that is, they aren't even, like a homemade book it looks like. I actually made one back in cutting, school, sewing and gluing and all.

Anyway, it kind of looks cool with these pages and the font is large enough on white enough backround that I think I can read it fine. Its just so darn heavy  :D I wish the library hadn't glued the slip cover onto the book so I could take it off while reading. I get why they do it, but I always read my hard covers without that for protection and it just gets in the way.

And note to self, don't go to the library when they have toddler and baby time. Fighting baby mama's over parking spots is not for sissies.  :o :o. They are mean.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
I also just came back from the library to drop some stuff off and I picked up the book that has been in hold for me
Karen Marie Moning - Iced

I got the hard cover from the library as my local didn't have the ebook yet. It just came up at another library I have  a card at with one copy and already like 50 people on wait list.  :D. So I thought, I can handle paper.

I'm amazed you got it so quickly from the library -- you must have put your name on the list right after it was announced.  (Can you do that?)

I'm currently reading a couple of historicals but am thinking of   for my next PNR.  So many books, too little reading time!  Mr. 007 tries to not disturb me, but sometimes he can't help it. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »
My library sends out a newsletter called "Wowbrary" every friday night. In there they put all the new books they added to the catalog sorted by genre.  I just happened to hit that one at the right time, so I was one of the first on the wait list. At that time they had only added it, but not ordered the books yet. But they have the books in the system at that time to put on hold, even if they haven't been shipped to the library yet. By the time mine was shipped across town there was a long wait list already. They all go to central first and from there ship out. I can "order" any library book from anywhere in the city and they will drive them to my local library. I love that system. Otherwise I would be screwed with romance as my local library is more stocked on kids stuff, non fiction and mystery than romance or UF.

I also get to recommend stuff for them to add to the catalog and so far every one I put in the suggest, they added.  ;D

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
So long as a book is on the order list, I can get on the waiting list at my library.  So for popular series, check with your library once there's a title and a pub date.  Some books simply won't work this way (I don't know why, but sometimes I see a pub date and the library says they do not).  But yeah, you can actually get on a wait list sometimes 6 months before the book is out.  AND sometimes if the wait list is already getting long, the library will decide to order more copies...

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
I finished

and holy cow  :o. That is all I got.  :D

Now why didn't I wait for this trilogy to be published complete?  ???. And how long do I have to wait now for the rest. Arggggg.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
I finished

and holy cow  :o. That is all I got.  :D

Now why didn't I wait for this trilogy to be published complete?  ???. And how long do I have to wait now for the rest. Arggggg.

I'm eager to read it but not eager to be on the hook waiting for the next ones.  At least Fever was about half-way finished before I began the first one.  On one hand I envy someone who was able to read all five back to back, on the other hand it was fun to read discussion postings on who Barons might be, etc.

I finished reading "The Vampire King" by Heather Killough-Walden and enjoyed it quite a lot.  There's a bit of world-building and introduction of characters you'll be supposedly seeing more of in future installments but it's worth having patience.  The various types of supernatural characters make this series a bit different than the usual broody/sexy vamp book (not that there's anything wrong with that!) I have The Phantom King ready to go next.

Offline drenfrow

• Terlingua, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
I just finished the Kate Daniels series.  I listened to all five books, back-to-back.  The series started out good and by book three I was in love.  Excellent series.  I like that each book does have a resolved ending while still being open for the next book.  I am just very sad now that I have to wait until next year some time for the next book.

If anyone is a Kevin Hearne fan the next book is out Nov. 27.

Woke up this morning with a terrific urge to lie in bed all day and read. -Raymond Carver

Offline GreenThumb

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
    • Linda's Garden
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
If anyone is a Kevin Hearne fan the next book is out Nov. 27.

I think the next Harry Dresden book is due out the same day.  What to read first, what to read first?!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
I just finished reading which was the precursor to and

I have to say I'm enjoying these stories very much... A couple of scenes in some of the stories get a bit "gritty" but overall very good.  I like the world she has built along with the characters.

Online Kristine McKinley

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • K. McKinley Website
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
Ilona Andrews and Patricia Briggs might be my favorite authors. Love the Edge series and was kind of sad to hear her say she wasn't going to be writing any more in that after the next one comes out. I thought the ending of the last Alpha and Omega book was awesome and feel like the wait for the next book is going to last forever.

I haven't read the Fever series, the description doesn't really grab me for some reason but I'm going to try it out since so many of you say it's good. If it sucks I'm holding you all accountable.  ;D Also added Some Girls Bite based on thread recommendations.

Dresden Files, I agree with what someone else posted about Butcher putting too much into the books. They're good but I can't read them back to back. Just when I think nothing else can go wrong or he couldn't possible juggle anything else something new happens.

Count me in with the disappointed in Sookie Stackhouse. I loved the first books, was so happy when she wound up with Eric, but ever since the TV show came out I feel like they've gone down hill.

Offline Tony Richards

• "Richards is a master" RT Book Reviews f/sf column
    • View Profile
    • Tony Richards -- Dark Fantasy Author
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2012, 08:01:04 AM »
Count me in with the disappointed in Sookie Stackhouse. I loved the first books, was so happy when she wound up with Eric, but ever since the TV show came out I feel like they've gone down hill.

I enjoyed the first few Sookies too. Haven't read the later ones. If they've been affected by the TV show, then that's a genuine shame, because the written series and the show are two entirely seperate entities.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
One PNR series I've enjoyed that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is "Vampires in America" by D. B Reynolds.  The first two books center more on one couple then the later books move on to other couples.  The first one in the series, "Raphael" is $2.99 right now.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »
I finished

2nd in the Kate Daniels series.

And holy cow  :o.

On goodreads I said its like going down the rabbit hole, in Technicolor  :D. No giant mushroom, but a splendid walk-in turtle coven command center complete with squishy tongue carpeting.  :P

I think Kate might be my favorite UF heroine, replacing Merit for now.

This series is a total trip. Crazy monsters too and the writing gets me right at the scene.

I am trying to figure out the series though and on goodreads they place Kate Daniels world after #5, but before another magic book. Ugh, I hate these mishmash of series where I can't figure out what is in order.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:59:41 AM by Atunah »

Offline Angela Brown

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Angela Brown in Pursuit of Publishness
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2012, 12:01:14 PM »
I finished

On goodreads I said its like going down the rabbit hole, in Technicolor  :D. No giant mushroom, but a splendid walk-in turtle coven command center complete with squishy tongue carpeting.  :P

This series is a total trip. Crazy monsters too and the writing gets me right at the scene.

I am trying to figure out the series though and on goodreads they place Kate Daniels world after #5, but before another magic book. Ugh, I hate these mishmash of series where I can't figure out what is in order.

Wow! I've got a paperback of this novel waiting on me to getting around to reading it. I better speed up the process so I can get to this one. I've heard so many wonderful things about Ilona Andrews.

Neverlove
A dark YA paranormal where the choice comes down to duty or love. There can be only one.

Online Kristine McKinley

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • K. McKinley Website
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
I finished

Gunmetal Magic should be read after Magic Slays, it's a very good book but your order will be messed up if you read it before then. It's not yet as confusing as the Dark Hunter series with it's Dream Hunter and all the other tie ins and hopefully it never gets that way.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
Have you guys picked up the newest Dresden Files yet?

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac