Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 59232 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #550 on: April 09, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
Thanks got it. I have heard a lot about this author too, I think I own some of the Elemental series by her if I am not mistaken.

I too have been not reading much UF/PNR lately. Hard to find the good stuff, especially in PNR. But I did just start the latest in the Darynda Jones series, Eleventh grave something. I haven't yet tried Briggs other series. I am waiting on the latest in the Mercy series from the library.

I started a new what to read next collection on my kindle and its already getting packed. I have like 3 different levels of next to read and they are all packed. Cause I keep moving stuff "up" the tbr lists.  :P

My more urgent one is just called up next. I also have one called reading next and another called bucket. Bucket is where I sift stuff out of the main list of all books. So its pretty big with having the first in series in it and stuff I think I should read at some point before I push up daisies. Then I started moving stuff into the reading next list as I hear about them, see them and all that stuff. Then that collection got full. A while ago I started the up next list for stuff I get from you guys and just things I really am going to read now. Like library loans, KU, stuff recommended like right now. I tried to keep that list to 20 and actually read all those one by one. Now I am already up to 50 in that collection also.  :-X

Harder than one would think to move things up the tbr mountain.  8)

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 09, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »
I grabbed this one, thanks worktolive.
I love the Patricia Briggs Alpha/Omega series  (of course along with the Mercy Thompson). Really great & ones I re-listen to peridocally.

Eleventh Grave was good too.
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 09, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
Eleventh Grave was good too.

I too have been not reading much UF/PNR lately. Hard to find the good stuff, especially in PNR. But I did just start the latest in the Darynda Jones series, Eleventh grave something. I haven't yet tried Briggs other series. I am waiting on the latest in the Mercy series from the library.

Finished Eleventh Grave in Moonlight this last week.  One of the smuttier books in the series I thought, but still good, lol! 

Talk about a cliffhanger ending ...  In looking at her past release schedule, it looks like maybe June before #12 comes out?  I can't find anything on Amazon or her site, and there is not yet a pre-order.  Hope we don't have to wait a REALLY long time!

Forgot to add:  Just in case anyone hasn't read the series yet, the first of Karen Marie Moning's Fever series is now down to .99 (Atunah posted a $1.99 sale in December).

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:56:44 AM by crebel »
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 09, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
Figured there was going to be a cliffhanger. I am only like 20% in but one of the reviewers I follow on goodreads had this comment

WTF that ending WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I figured cliffhanger is a safe bet.  :P

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 09, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »
Figured there was going to be a cliffhanger. I am only like 20% in but one of the reviewers I follow on goodreads had this comment

WTF that ending WTF!!!!!!!

So I figured cliffhanger is a safe bet.  :P

That quote sums it up very well. ;)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: April 09, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

Talk about a cliffhanger ending ...  In looking at her past release schedule, it looks like maybe June before #12 comes out?  I can't find anything on Amazon or her site, and there is not yet a pre-order.  Hope we don't have to wait a REALLY long time!

You want the good news or the bad news.

Good news, it will be out in 2017.

Bad news, it lists October 2017 on goodreads for the 12th. End of October so practically November.  8)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 09, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »

Bad news, it lists October 2017 on goodreads for the 12th. End of October so practically November.  8)

Sigh ... better than a whole year.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »
finished

And yep, pretty much WTF!!!!! at that ending.

But really, first rule of life. DO NOT make any big decisions after drinking a half bottle of tequila. Come on Charley.
WTF indeed.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 27, 2017, 07:27:09 AM »

As of this morning the pre-order is available!  Currently it is also a reasonable $8.99 instead of the $12.99 (still) for #11.  Yes, I pre-ordered ...

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 27, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
8.99 is much better than 12.99, still a tad high. But the current one is still 12.99 now so maybe they have the lower price for the preorders? Since you have more than one reading it, you tend to at least get more out of it.

That coffee has a skull on it on that cover.  ;D

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »
8.99 is much better than 12.99, still a tad high. But the current one is still 12.99 now so maybe they have the lower price for the preorders? Since you have more than one reading it, you tend to at least get more out of it.

That coffee has a skull on it on that cover.  ;D

The preorder price has now jumped to $12.99.  I hardly ever preorder, just put upcoming books in a wish list to buy on publication day, so I'm glad I actually went through with this one and locked it in at $8.99!  So yes, there was apparently an early preorder "sale".

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 09, 2017, 04:39:21 PM »
The preorder price has now jumped to $12.99.  I hardly ever preorder, just put upcoming books in a wish list to buy on publication day, so I'm glad I actually went through with this one and locked it in at $8.99!  So yes, there was apparently an early preorder "sale".
Yay, that is 4$ off right off.

I read recently

And its awesome like the others in the series. This was number 10. I am so proud of myself that I am actually up to date on 2 whopping UF series, this one and Darynda Jones.
Now if I could just be up to date on the other 330 series I follow on FictFact

Offline Erin Zarro

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Weaver of Words
« Reply #562 on: May 13, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
I have to second Karen Marie Moning and her Fever series. Amazing stories. :)

Anyone read JR Ward? I just finished her newest book, The Chosen. She wowed me from book 1 and I've been addicted ever since.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 13, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »
I have to second Karen Marie Moning and her Fever series. Amazing stories. :)

Anyone read JR Ward? I just finished her newest book, The Chosen. She wowed me from book 1 and I've been addicted ever since.
I haven't been able to get into KMM ... but I LOVE LOVE JR Ward!
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Erin Zarro

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Weaver of Words
« Reply #564 on: May 13, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »
CegAbq - She's amazing, isn't she? Have you read any of the Legacy books?

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 13, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
... Have you read any of the Legacy books?

I haven't ... will have to try them
Carol in 'burque

Offline Erin Zarro

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Weaver of Words
« Reply #566 on: May 13, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Definitely. They are really good. :D

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 27, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »
It seems like there isn't much new UF or PNR these days.  :(  However, I recently picked up the first book in Devon Monk's new series. The book is called Death and Relaxation. It's currently on sale for $0.99 and there are two more books after it.

I started it on Thursday and I could not put it down. The world building is fun and inventive and the heroine is awesome. She's the young police chief of a small town where various gods come to take long-term vacations. She's smart (but not snarky), hard-working, dedicated, and mature and does not make TSTL moves or wait around for someone else to do her job. For that price, I highly recommend giving the book a try.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 29, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
It seems like there isn't much new UF or PNR these days.  :(  However, I recently picked up the first book in Devon Monk's new series. The book is called Death and Relaxation. It's currently on sale for $0.99 and there are two more books after it.

I started it on Thursday and I could not put it down. The world building is fun and inventive and the heroine is awesome. She's the young police chief of a small town where various gods come to take long-term vacations. She's smart (but not snarky), hard-working, dedicated, and mature and does not make TSTL moves or wait around for someone else to do her job. For that price, I highly recommend giving the book a try.

Thanks, Worktolive.  We're getting ready to go on vacation and that looks perfect.  Great timing on your part!

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 12, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »
I hope this is the right thread to post this sale I found today.  The author is Bec McMaster and it's a free first-in-series. 

It's Historical PNR/Steampunk and is a spin-off from another series that starts with this

Both series seem to be very popular (and apparently quite steamy - not a pun ;D ), but I couldn't find any mention of this author or these titles here on KBoards.  Anyone here familiar with this author?

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 12, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Thanks! I've been looking for a good story to jump into SteamPunk!
Carol in 'burque

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 12, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
I have read "Kiss of steel" and the second in that series and very much enjoyed them. I'll have to get back to the series one of these days. And the 300 other series I am following on fictfact.  :o :-X

I haven't read first one you posted, spinoff. I would have to read the other full first anyway as I assume spinoff means in order. You know how that goes.  :P

I found the worldbuilding to be really good, its gritty, its dark-ish, in tone and feel. Including the dark alleys and such where these are set. Just a good mood setting that goes on. They aren't super dark or anything like that, can't think of a better word. Like wet cobblestone in the dark and fog and gears.  ;D. Interesting.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 12, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
I have read "Kiss of steel" and the second in that series and very much enjoyed them. I'll have to get back to the series one of these days. And the 300 other series I am following on fictfact.  :o

I also read the first and second book in that series. I liked them and I'm sure I have the third on the TBR mountain but of course, it's now buried.  :o Maybe it's time to dig it out. Thanks for the heads up on the free book.

Offline rikatz

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 14, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
I just want to put in a plug for the Pride series by Shelly Laurenston, and also the Dragon series, also written by Shelly Laurenston under the pen name, G. A. Aiken. Her characters are basically insane but they're incredibly witty books.

I've also developed a real devotion to the Demon Accords series by John Conroe. Entirely self-published and terrific.

Robert I. Katz | website | blog

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 18, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on Mission Improper. I will have to check it out. I am really into the steampunk genre right now. It looks like The Golden Spider is on sale for .99 for the next 2 days. It is also steampunk and I love the series. There are only 2 of them so far.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac