Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 61111 times)  

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #575 on: June 30, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
It seems like there isn't much new UF or PNR these days.  :(  However, I recently picked up the first book in Devon Monk's new series. The book is called Death and Relaxation. It's currently on sale for $0.99 and there are two more books after it.

I started it on Thursday and I could not put it down. The world building is fun and inventive and the heroine is awesome. She's the young police chief of a small town where various gods come to take long-term vacations. She's smart (but not snarky), hard-working, dedicated, and mature and does not make TSTL moves or wait around for someone else to do her job. For that price, I highly recommend giving the book a try.

I just finished these and loved them... sorry they're done for the moment... plowed through them like a bag of M&Ms and can't wait for the next one.  Thanks again, Worktolive!

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 30, 2017, 07:18:12 PM »
I just finished these and loved them... sorry they're done for the moment... plowed through them like a bag of M&Ms and can't wait for the next one.  Thanks again, Worktolive!

Hurray! Glad you liked them. I haven't read the third yet - I've been saving it.

I finally got my hands on White Hot by Ilona Andrews last week and tore through it. Now I'm just counting the days until July 25th when the final book, Wildfire, is released.

I have another recommendation. This one I got from the library. It's called Blood of the Earth, by Faith Hunter.

It's a spinoff from her long running Jane Yellowrock series, but I haven't read that series because it features vamps and those aren't my favorite paranormals. This one features a heroine that was raised in a religious cult but has mostly broken free of it although she lives on land nearby. She has some kind of earth magic. Through most of the book, her magic is kind of mysterious, mainly because she has never really explored it, so she's pretty ignorant about what she can do with it. There was a fair amount of world-building, but I never felt it was too info-dumpy and I never got lost even though I hadn't read the other series. It's also a pretty good police procedural type UF. No romance, although there is a hint of a possible love interest for later books.

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 01, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »

I have another recommendation. This one I got from the library. It's called Blood of the Earth, by Faith Hunter.

It's a spinoff from her long running Jane Yellowrock series, but I haven't read that series because it features vamps and those aren't my favorite paranormals. This one features a heroine that was raised in a religious cult but has mostly broken free of it although she lives on land nearby. She has some kind of earth magic. Through most of the book, her magic is kind of mysterious, mainly because she has never really explored it, so she's pretty ignorant about what she can do with it. There was a fair amount of world-building, but I never felt it was too info-dumpy and I never got lost even though I hadn't read the other series. It's also a pretty good police procedural type UF. No romance, although there is a hint of a possible love interest for later books.

I'll check them out, including the Yellowrock series you mentioned... I'm good with vamps. 

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 04, 2017, 09:36:44 PM »
Moonshadow by Thea Harrison is on sale for $0.99 leading up to the release of the next book in the series, Spellbinder, on July 18. This is a spinoff of her Elder Races series, but it's meant to stand independent of the previous series. I read Moonshadow last year, loved it, and highly recommend it. The heroine, Sophie is smart, strong and competent. The hero is kind of an old-fashioned alpha type and keeps trying to tell her what to do and she basically tells him to shove it and then goes out and saves the day. It's pretty fun to watch her in action. 

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 05, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »
Moonshadow by Thea Harrison is on sale for $0.99 leading up to the release of the next book in the series, Spellbinder, on July 18. This is a spinoff of her Elder Races series, but it's meant to stand independent of the previous series. I read Moonshadow last year, loved it, and highly recommend it. The heroine, Sophie is smart, strong and competent. The hero is kind of an old-fashioned alpha type and keeps trying to tell her what to do and she basically tells him to shove it and then goes out and saves the day. It's pretty fun to watch her in action. 

Nice find... snapped it up.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 28, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
As of this morning the pre-order is available!  Currently it is also a reasonable $8.99 instead of the $12.99 (still) for #11.  Yes, I pre-ordered ...

For informational purposes:  ;D

IT WILL FINALLY BE RELEASED ON TUESDAY!!

There are a couple of pre-release reviews including a verified paperback review (never mind she mentions reading it on her Kindle) that says:  " The ending!!! She did it again, made me hit the last page button on the kindle thinking it can't be over here....so when is the next book out?"  so I'm thinking another WTF ending.

Then I saw:

No title, no cover, to be released October 30, 2018 - a whole year! Waaaaahhhhhh  :'(  The little for-now-blurb does say #13 will be the final book of the series.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 02, 2017, 05:39:11 AM »
I read the Darynda Jones last night, it was wonderful, 5-stars for me. Not a complete cliffhanger ending, but man I wish it wasn't an entire year to get the final installment!
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love