Author Topic: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?  (Read 58941 times)  

Offline Johnson.Books

• View Profile
    • Jeffrey Johnson's Blog
Re: Is Anyone a PNR or UF Fan?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »
A really good urban fantasy/romance novel is Legend by Marie Lu.  It is a trilogy, and the second installment comes out this January . . . yay!  If you want a quick synopsis, it takes place in a dystopian future where the government is hiding truths from the public, and involves a boy that is the most wanted criminal in the country, and a girl, who is a military prodigy that takes it upon herself to avenge her brothers death, in which the boy is the number one suspect.

Author of The Column Racer

johnsonbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
I just finished the 6th in the Chigaco Vampire series. I love this series.  ;D. Gnomes, walking talking gnomes  :D

But now I have to wait until February I think for the next one  :'(. Or longer since those books are very high priced so I read them through the library and that takes some extra time to get them.

I had planned on pacing myself on this series so I would be closer to the next release, but whats the point. There will be another release after that one  :D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
I just finished the 6th in the Chigaco Vampire series. I love this series.  ;D. Gnomes, walking talking gnomes  :D

But now I have to wait until February I think for the next one  :'(. Or longer since those books are very high priced so I read them through the library and that takes some extra time to get them.

I had planned on pacing myself on this series so I would be closer to the next release, but whats the point. There will be another release after that one  :D

I really love the Chicagoland Vampires series... don't know if I'll be able to wait for the price to come down!

I just finished reading   which is the most recent in the Vampires in America series by D. B. Reynolds.  It's PNR, and completely different from Chicagoland, but I have been enjoying it.

Next, I'm considering   or  

Both are the latest in series I've been enjoying... but I may start the Demonica series by Larissa Ione.  The first in that series is

I haven't read anything yet by this author, so if anyone is familiar with her, let me know what you think.

I don't know why I keep putting off the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews... guess I keep waiting for a huge chunk of time that I can devote solely to reading through it... not likely to happen soon!

Offline Tony Richards

• "Richards is a master" RT Book Reviews f/sf column
    • View Profile
    • Tony Richards -- Dark Fantasy Author
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
Have you guys picked up the newest Dresden Files yet?

Yes, I certainly have.
Many of my larger eBooks are on SPECIAL OFFER, including my Raine's Landing series, my new collection THE BOOK OF STRANGE, and my epic vampire novel HOT BLOOD. Find out more here.

Here's the complete list of my eBooks on Kindle, some self-published, others from the likes of Eos/HarperCollins and Schusters.

Offline dawnaraver

• San Antonio
    • View Profile
    • Raver's Rants and Raves
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »
Love, love, love PRN and Uf. Right now, I am totally into Darynda Jones Charley Is Davidson series. It rocks!
Author of Colour Wielders
Curiosity Quills Press April 19, 2013

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2012, 06:26:38 AM »
Love, love, love PRN and Uf. Right now, I am totally into Darynda Jones Charley Is Davidson series. It rocks!

Is that the one that takes place in NM?  Or the ...one that starts out with a vehicle accident...boy.  I'm starting to run some of these together!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »

I've heard about that series.  What do you like about it?

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
I've heard about that series.  What do you like about it?

I looked it up and it is the one in NM.  I thought the book (first one) started of really strong with some awesome mystery elements.  Sadly, for me, it fell apart by the end.  The characters were really intriguing until the reveal (which just seemed a bit too convenient and...otherworldly for my tastes).  But the writing is fairly strong.  I think it was just some of the elements are elements that rarely work for me so I can't entirely blame the author, more the theme.   Some of the things in the book rely on taking place in the "dream state" which is one of the themes that isn't my favorite.   I can't mention the other theme because that is part of the reveal at the end so I don't want to spoil it.  I didn't continue to the second book and don't plan too, but again, I think the writing is pretty crisp and paced well.

Offline courtyoung

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • My Literary Blog
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
I adore PRN and UF and it looks like this thread is full of amazing recommendations. I seriously just added about 10 new titles to my list of books to read. Looks like a half-price book trip is in my near future! :)
Courtney Worth Young ((the writer with two last names))
My debut novel, "After the Woods", will release May 2013. Eek + Squee!
www.twitter.com/courtney825 - Twitter
www.courtyoung.blogspot.com - Literary Blog

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
I just finished the first in the Celta series

It was really weird.  :D. Good things are that cats can by familiars in that world. The world is on another planet and 400 years ago colonists came. So they have first families and grand families or something like that. Its kind of set up like a society in the 1800's. Class system. Just that they use magic. The higher up the more "flair".  Now the cats.  ;D

They can telepathically communicate with their familiars. And the main cat in this book "thinks" a LOT. And its scarily accurate. Or what I assume as a human being owned by a cat thinks of accurate.  :P

The bad parts for me was the romance. I am not a fan of the fated stuff too much. That is the theme here, heartmates.

But anytime I read the term womanflesh in a romance, I cringe.

I was also totally confused at the beginning. You just kind of drop into the world without any explanations on anything.

And the Hero sometimes reverts to Tarzan speak. Me Tarzan, you Jane, mine.  :D.

So it was interesting as far as world building, but didn't come together for me totally. The romance was seriously lacking though. Not sure if I read more in the series. I had to get this in library mass paperback and it was a bit difficult to read.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:06:40 PM by Atunah »

Offline drenfrow

• Terlingua, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »
Free book!

I got an email message from Debora Geary's website that she is allowing people who have bought her book A Modern Witch to gift an ebook copy of it to someone.  It's the first book in the Modern Witch series.  It's a fun, feel-good series, nothing gritty whatsoever.  If anyone is interested, I'll gift it the first person to PM me with their email address.  It will show up on your Kindle through Amazon on Christmas day.  Don't be shy!  First one to PM me gets it!

Woke up this morning with a terrific urge to lie in bed all day and read. -Raymond Carver

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59:34 PM »
I just finished the first in the Celta series

It was really weird.  :D. Good things are that cats can by familiars in that world. The world is on another planet and 400 years colonists came. So they have first families and grand families or something like that. Its kind of set up like a society in the 1800's. Class system. Just that they use magic. The higher up the more "flair".  Now the cats.  ;D

They can telepathically communicate with their familiars. And the main cat in this book "thinks" a LOT. And its scarily accurate. Or what I assume as a human being owned by a cat thinks of accurate.  :P

The bad parts for me was the romance. I am not a fan of the fated stuff too much. That is the theme here, heartmates.

But anytime I read the term womanflesh in a romance, I cringe.

I was also totally confused at the beginning. You just kind of drop into the world without any explanations on anything.

And the Hero sometimes reverts to Tarzan speak. Me Tarzan, you Jane, mine.  :D.

So it was interesting as far as world building, but didn't come together for me totally. The romance was seriously lacking though. Not sure if I read more in the series. I had to get this in library mass paperback and it was a bit difficult to read.

;D ;D ;D

Bwahahahaha, this analysis gave me a good laugh. WOMAN. MY WOMAN.

On the bright side, cats.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Yeah cats  ;D. At times its funny. You got the Hero going Me Tarzan you Jane and Zanth the cat going "Me Me Pet NOW". Or some such thing.

I did like the teleporting. Its like, look I am over here, now look I am over there. And yes, Hero teleports onto a horse. Now look, I am on a horse  :D.

I have never read anything like that one, that is for sure.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:07:49 PM by Atunah »

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
I kind of want this. But it's $7.99 for Kindle, and it looks like my local library doesn't have it... guess I have to read something less cracked out for Christmas.

Speaking of cats, did you see this is on sale for 99c today? It's not UF/PNR, but you seem like someone who might appreciate cat sleuths, and I'm pretty sure there's no caveman talk. ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »
Cat sleuths, is that the new hot genre?  :D. I 'll check it out. That's just what we need, more nosy cats.  :P

I had to order Heartmate at my library. Well I mean I suggested it to purchase and they did. I was the first one to get that copy. There are still 11 folks on the wait list now.  ;D. I am a good suggester I think. I suggested 8 books so far and they bought 7 of them.

Another one I suggested and I am starting right now is

I love this theme. It sounds like the first Terminator movie which I loved, up to when the hero was killed of course.  :o. So this I expect to be in that vein, but with my HEA  ;D

I wish there was more futuristic stuff out there. I file all that stuff under PNR. I know it doesn't really go there, but I don't know where else to put it. Sci fi romance I don't think is wide spread like that.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
Cat sleuths, is that the new hot genre?  :D. I 'll check it out. That's just what we need, more nosy cats.  :P

Not new: 

That's the first in the Mrs Murphy series co written by Rita Mae Brown and her cat Sneaky Pie.  Here's the full list:

1. Wish You Were Here (1990)
2. Rest In Pieces (1992)
3. Murder at Monticello (1994)
     aka Or, Old Sins
4. Pay Dirt, or Adventures at Ash Lawn (1995)
5. Murder, She Meowed (1996)
6. Murder on the Prowl (1998)
7. Cat on the Scent (1999)
8. Pawing Through the Past (2000)
9. Claws and Effect (2001)
10. Catch As Cat Can (2002)
11. The Tail of the Tip-Off (2003)
12. Whisker of Evil (2004)
13. Cat's Eyewitness (2005)
14. Sour Puss (2006)
15. Puss 'n Cahoots (2007)
16. The Purrfect Murder (2008)
17. Santa Clawed (2008)
18. Cat of the Century (2010)
19. Hiss of Death (2011)
20. The Big Cat Nap (2012)
21. Sneaky Pie for President (2012)
22. The Litter of the Law (2013)

Not romances. . . .but definitely feature cat sleuths. :D

Just thought I'd share:  Back to your regularly scheduled PNR thread. ::)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Yeah, cat sleuths is a whole genre. It blew my mind when I discovered that. I can't imagine my cats sleuthing--unless it was for something new of mine to shred. ;D Of course, I didn't think any of my lazy fluffballs could be mousers, either, and I do occasionally find murder presents outside my bedroom, so...

I once read a paranormal romance where a guy's cat fell in love with him and turned human so that she could be with him, but now I can't recall the title. Hrm. I'll have to dig around. It's not futuristic, though.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »
Oh my goodness, who would have thunk  :D

My cat is laughing his furry butt off at the suggestion he do some sleuthing work.  :D. Not sure how he would be able to work that in his very full daily schedule anyway. All that sleeping to be done. And then the howling at 5 am  ::).

I once read a paranormal romance where a guy's cat fell in love with him and turned human so that she could be with him, but now I can't recall the title. Hrm. I'll have to dig around. It's not futuristic, though.

That's kind of  :o :o :o. Or is it.  ??? :P

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
My reaction was definitely :o, times a million.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »
Ah ha, I found it!

That's the Kindle version, but my mom had the mass market paperback version with the creepy cover where the naked guy is kissing his cat.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »
 :D

I actually find the old cover better. On that new one the lady looks like a grinning loony. I mean look at that face.  :o.
I'd rather be kissing the cat.  :P

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »
. . . . . but my mom had the mass market paperback version with the creepy cover where the naked guy is kissing his cat.

O.K.  I was going with :o.  Maybe even :o :o  But that's just  :-X

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
I don't like PNR, but I am enjoying urban fantasy (though I'm not as well read in the genre as I'd like to be).

Krista D. Ball

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »
I don't like PNR, but I am enjoying urban fantasy (though I'm not as well read in the genre as I'd like to be).

I felt like the last one that didn't know about UF as a genre. I am pretty sure my first read was the Fever series by Moning.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
I felt like the last one that didn't know about UF as a genre. I am pretty sure my first read was the Fever series by Moning.

I didn't read it because the few books I'd read were very clearly PNR and that just annoyed me. Then, I'd made a comment that I'd listen to James Marsters read the phone book, was promptly recommended the Dresden Files, and then I fell in love :D

Krista D. Ball