Author Topic: My Kindle is in the mail!  (Read 3700 times)  

Offline sandypeach

• Northwest Georgia
    • View Profile
My Kindle is in the mail!
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:25:10 AM »
According to Amazon tracking, my Kindle arrived at the Atlanta USPS facility at 12:30 this morning. ;D

I finished reading Steve Martini's Critical Mass yesterday and don't want to get immersed another long book, because it might keep me from devoting all my reading time to the Kindle when it arrives.  I have chosen Robin Cook's Mindbend as my distraction, as it is a relatively short read and I won't mind abandoning it if K arrives before I finish it. :P

I fear that am getting infected with Kindle-itis, my nerves are frayed, my palms are sweaty and I can't seem to close down the "track my order" window in IE, I just keep clicking the refresh button.

Help me!
The Peach
Staying fuzzy

Offline jah

• new york
    • View Profile
Re: My Kindle is in the mail!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:33:58 AM »
 ;D  sorry @ this time there is no cure Kindle-itis. ;D

The good news is once your kindle arrives you be to busy reading to notices.  :)

Congrat I know you'll enjoy you kindle as much as the rest of us.

Offline Jen

• Member # 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:35:46 AM »
I'm so excited for you!!  I remember that feeling all too well.  I also obsessively stalked the UPS page - I can tell you it won't stop until you have it in your hands!!  You're going to love it!
A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:42:02 AM »
I also live in the Atl and got mine yesterday. I was going to the window so much even my cat could see something was up.
I don't know about you but where I live, mail delivery is very erractic. Our regular guy is pretty reliable but he seems to be off almost
as much as he is on and then we just never know when or even if it will show up.

I was also unsure if I would have to sigh for it and was afraid I would not hear him!

I also sped up my pace to finish my current book so I would be able to start a new one on my Kindle as soon as I got it.

Enjoy!
Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:49 AM »
What you are feeling is absolutely normal... unfortunately there is no cure for Kindleitis until it arrives...and then yikes you become a Kindleholic!  ???
Fortunately for you this is exactly where you need to be for support.

Hi, my name is Linda and I am a Kindle addict  LOL

Keep us posted!

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:29 AM »
You guys are so lucky. I ordered my first Kindle on April 6 when they were still backordered. Do you know what the wait was like then? LOL. That's when I got started on the Amazon board, actually. There was one thread for everyone who ordered on or around March 27th. It was hysterical.

We all kept posting on every single communication we received from Amazon. We could tell the waves of Kindles being shipped. I think the folks who ordered in February had really excruciating waits -- 8, 10 weeks. It was agonizing.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:45:10 AM »
I have to go out.  I hope our nice mailman will deliver my Kiindle while I'm gone.  I hope.  I hope.  I hope.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Jen

• Member # 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
I was in the same boat as you Leslie - I ordered in March and I think I waited 5 weeks for it.  I was all over that March 27th forum (my name was Jennifer L. Armbruster on there...what was yours?  Did you post on there?).  Of course the same day mine shipped all of a sudden they were IN STOCK on the website!!  While it was agonizing, I had a lot of fun in that Amazon forum discussing the wait with everyone.  Also, I think that I had even more excitement when it finally showed up due to the wait.  Yeah, it's easy to say that now!  It was awful then!!
A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:14:05 AM »
I was in the same boat as you Leslie - I ordered in March and I think I waited 5 weeks for it.  I was all over that March 27th forum (my name was Jennifer L. Armbruster on there...what was yours?  Did you post on there?).  Of course the same day mine shipped all of a sudden they were IN STOCK on the website!!  While it was agonizing, I had a lot of fun in that Amazon forum discussing the wait with everyone.  Also, I think that I had even more excitement when it finally showed up due to the wait.  Yeah, it's easy to say that now!  It was awful then!!

I would have been Leslie H. Nicoll. The name hasn't changed! I'm not sure I posted too much...still a lurker at that time.

That March 27th thread and the people...the one guy who kept saying he was being admitted to the hospital. He was so funny. "They've let me out again...they've adjusted my medication." LOL

And you are right...it's easy to say now but the wait was AGONIZING...

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Jen

• Member # 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
HA!  That was David.  A bunch of us tried to form a forum on Yahoo (the Kindle Recovery Center aka KRC) but not many stuck around after we got our kindles.  I was hoping some of the old folks would show up here.  I think there was Jill, Sharon, Wisteria, those are the ones I remember.  It was awful waiting, but we made the best of it. 

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 09:25:30 AM »
Oh how exciting!!  I had mine delivered at work and couldn't check my tracking so it was just a waiting game.  When she arrived it was like Christmas morning!

I had been reading a dead tree book though and ended up buying it on Kindle to finish so I could play with my new baby.
Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 09:43:52 AM »
HA!  That was David.  A bunch of us tried to form a forum on Yahoo (the Kindle Recovery Center aka KRC) but not many stuck around after we got our kindles.  I was hoping some of the old folks would show up here.  I think there was Jill, Sharon, Wisteria, those are the ones I remember.  It was awful waiting, but we made the best of it. 

I knew they had tried to form a group somewhere else. I actually suggested this forum a few times (I joined here back in April).

Wisteria signed up here a day or two ago.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline MelanieC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:02 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm new here.  I should be getting my Kindle today- I'm so excited.  My vision is to eventually have all my old books that I loved on it so I can read them again and again. I'm so tired of buying books -and I"m running out of room.  When we went rented a cabin in the Smokey Mountains I drug 6 books in my bags on vacation with me.  When I flew to Las Vegas in August I drug 4 on the plane with me - Those suckers were heavy.  Viola - no more carrying heavy books and if I have my favorites -it will be like carrying my personal library with me.  Now I may read some from the Library first to make sure I want to spend money to put on my kindle (for the ones I"m not sure about).  Yippee I'm so excited.  Ahh I love technology.  I think this is like the TIVO or DVR.  Truly life changing, lol.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
Don't forget, Melanie...you can download samples to see if you like a book. No need to go to the library. Samples are free.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Susan B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »
I too stalked the UPS website after I ordered my Kindle. The day it was to arrive I walked back and forth constantly to the front door,just sure that my Kindle would perish in the high heat and humidity if I didn't get to it. Hours passed and no UPS guy no doorbell ring.Nothing! Finally I inspected the whole porch area and there was my baby (Kindle) stuffed behind a potted plant!! I rescued him (yep it is a him) and revived the poor thing. Shortly,very shortly, I had to adopt another Kindle for my husband as I really didn't like to share Aesop (by now I'd named him). His arrived just in time for us to evacuate for hurricane Gustav. Our Kindles were really life savers on that trip but that's another story one that was actually posted on the Amazon Kindle blog. Anyway, we're glad to have you in our Krazy Kindle Klub. Hope all of you will let us know if you name your Kindle.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:30:55 PM by Susan B »
Regarding Apple, Amazon, Macmillan and Harper Collins: Apple seeds, there is a little bit of cyanide in every apple seed.

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 01:04:51 PM »
Sandy Peach, has it arrived yet??

Linda

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
My Kindle didn't arrive today.  :'(  Maybe tomorrow.  I'm working on a name even before I've met him/her.  It took me a few weeks after I got her to name my Rosey Bourkes parakeet.  She is Lucy Anna.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 02:32:56 PM »
When did you order yours Sandpiper?

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
I ordered it on Oct. 25.  Got e-mail from Amazon that it shipped Oct. 27 via USPS (free shipping).  Has an estimated delivery date of Nov. 1.  When I look at USPS tracking info, doesn't exactly make sense to me.  Looks like it is or was in the suburbs south of Chicago.  I'm in the west surburbs.  I'm hoping tomorrow.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »
Something that I've noticed about amazon shipments:  You might get an e-mail saying it's shipped with a tracking number.  So you go to UPS or USPS and there's no record.  It's like it's in some sort of limbo between Amazon and the shipper.  I figured out that what has happened is that amazon has marked it as being in the big box that the shipper will be picking up when full.  But the shipper doesn't show they've got it until they actually do pick up the big box.  I'm pretty sure it works this way when you go for the free super saver shipping, it probably doesn't for shipping you pay for.

Ann

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline happypuppy007

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 05:20:46 PM »
I too am waiting for my Kindle.  I ordered mine 2 days ago and did the 2 day shipping, yes I am impatient.  Poor mail man got the full stalk effect today.  As he was filling up the mailbox's I saw an Amazon box laying beside him and I got so excited but alas it was not for me :(

UPS site says estimated arrival date is tomorrow :D
Track your package              
Date    Time    Location    Event Details
October 30, 2008    05:48:00 PM    DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P TX US    Arrival Scan
October 30, 2008    04:44:00 PM    LOUISVILLE KY US    Departure Scan
October 30, 2008    12:47:00 PM    LOUISVILLE KY US    Shipment received by carrier
October 29, 2008    10:04:34 PM    US    Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

I've already got two books but I can't wait to get my new gadget and reignite my passion for reading.  I've been bad lately and haven't been reading.  I am sorry, I repent FORGIVE ME OF MY SINS!   
Yes, I heard about this on Oprah and the $50 off coupon sealed the deal.  I am grateful to have my passion for reading and a very easy way to take so many books with me everywhere.  I can't wait for my trip in Dallas!  I'm sharing the Kindle information with everyone I know who loves to read!   It is going to be life changing!  To bad I have plans for Halloween, I want to stay home and curl up with my Kindle.

Is it here yet?  Is it here yet?

Offline Rusty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
Ordered mine on the 25th, and got it on the 29th. Already downloaded about 4 books and just love this thing. Really easy on the eyes.

Rusty  :)

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »
Sandpiper,
I am crossing my fingers for you, I am sure since it is in your city, you will get it tomorrow!
::knock wood::

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »
Something that I've noticed about amazon shipments:  You might get an e-mail saying it's shipped with a tracking number.  So you go to UPS or USPS and there's no record.  It's like it's in some sort of limbo between Amazon and the shipper.  I figured out that what has happened is that amazon has marked it as being in the big box that the shipper will be picking up when full.  But the shipper doesn't show they've got it until they actually do pick up the big box.  I'm pretty sure it works this way when you go for the free super saver shipping, it probably doesn't for shipping you pay for.

Ann

There's also the fact that Amazon generates the tracking number electronically through their account; it doesn't mean that the package has actually left their location.  Sometimes it can be frustrating!!!!

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store