Author Topic: Fire HD 8.9" - First Impressions  (Read 3824 times)  

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
Fire HD 8.9" - First Impressions
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:01:48 AM »
I have my new kindle and I played with it all weekend to rather mixed opinions on it so I'm curious what others think about it.  Here are some of my initial thoughts:

PROS
* The fonts and covers on books are incredibly sharp.  The book library and store interfaces aren't much different from the one on the original Fire - it just has a much better resolution.
* In streaming video, it's much easier to flip back and forth between Prime and regular movies without having to backtrack first.
* It weighs about the same as the original Fire but it's much larger so it's thinner with the weight distributed across a larger area.
* It has a camera - even though I would have preferred a back facing one - that works well for video conferencing.

CONS
* Silk still opens duplicate tabs when restarting the browser and it continues to crash at times so to that degree it's the same as that on the original Fire.   It seems to work better on pages with numerous updates like Google+ but it still needs a bit more work so it feels similar to a desktop experience.
* Silk takes and extra tap now to get to bookmarks.
* The original Fire had a wood grain background - this one is just black.  One sees just the carousel against a blank background.  The wood grain would be appreciated (if one can't choose from a set of backgrounds) to make the device seem more visually interesting when on the home screen.
* They've increased the number of places where they advertise to you.  I'm dissatisfied that I have to pay extra to turn off 'special offers' while also having to turn off the 'also bought' feature on the carousel.  These are both correctable but I dislike that the application defaults to
* I've had some trouble with my Fire waking itself up after I put it to sleep - and with it turning itself back on after I power it down.  Customer service says these are known bugs so hopefully that will go away with the next software release.

Overall, it serves my primary purpose for it - book reading - well. That's my first use for the device and the most important one. My second use is as a web browser which it does less well. So, I like it but with some misgivings .... I would prefer more customization but that has never been high on Amazon's priority list for any of it's kindle devices.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:13:19 AM by Geoffrey »

Offline Olmanrivah

• View Profile
Re: Fire HD 8.9" - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:11:05 AM »
Pros:
1) Great screen res
2) Speakers nice and loud
3) Option of 4G
4) Internet capable
5) Great battery life
6) Best of the Kindles

Cons:
1) 4G radio very weak
2) No charging light
3) Rather heavy
4) Mic not sensitive enough
5) No forward facing camera
6) Can't easily control what's in the Cloud and what's on the device.
Country Boys Can Survive!

Offline Benjamin Grahl

• Proud Indie Author!
    • View Profile
    • My blog, my book, and more...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
thanks for the input. i've been toying with upgrading my Fire for a while now. i only use it for reading so i'll probably stick with what i have for now.
Find your destiny in 27 nights! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSK7ECG

Offline yourkrishna

• New Delhi
  • Live and Let Live
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:06:12 AM »
In my experience The 8.9 is no lightweight and If use for reading it is exclusively for the magazine subscription is of great advantage, possibly even if you want to read a lot of PDFs. Otherwise enough for my 7'' totally out to read.