Author Topic: Anyone read the article on self-pubbing in this week's Time magazine?  (Read 6592 times)  

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
It's titled "The 99cent Best Seller."  The author apparently went to the Romantic Times convention (in the spring, I believe?) and did some research there, recounting facts from Mark Coker and also interviewing some indie romance writers.

I read it in hard copy, since my issue arrived in today's mail.  Here's the start of the article, but you have to be a Time subscriber to read the whole thing.    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2130396,00.html

(He mentions Kindleboards!!   :)  8) )
Jena

• Ontario, Canada
  • I should probably be writing...
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone read the article on self-pubbing in this week's Time magazine?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
Jeez... it only shows the 1st paragraph before it hits paywall... blah.

Offline Bree Roberts

• View Profile
    • Bree's Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Oh how I long to read it, but alas no subscription.  Thanks for the teaser link.  Now I want to go out and find the magazine at a newsstand!

Offline bellaandre

• View Profile
    • Bella Andre
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
I read it! :) (I'm in it, too!)

It comes out on newsstands soon, I believe. My husband and I went looking for it in town, but it was still the previous week's issue out.

Andrew Rice, the journalist, did a great job with it! (And he's a really nice guy, too.)

:) Bella

Bella Andre | author website | facebook | twitter

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »

It comes out on newsstands soon, I believe. My husband and I went looking for it in town, but it was still the previous week's issue out.

Andrew Rice, the journalist, did a great job with it! (And he's a really nice guy, too.)

Yes, I saw your name in it, and I knew you were a member here.  Good for you!   ;)
Jena

Offline felicity

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
I read it.

IMHO, his bias against self-publishing and indies was obvious through out the article.  

I loved the response by the Amazon VP for Kindle content when asked about folks who try to figure out their algorithm. He said that attempting to get visibility for one's books is an age old practice (I paraphrase).  

I'd love to hear what others have to say about this article.  Maybe I'm just reading too much in between the lines about the article's intent.

p.s. He mentions Kindleboards, but I couldn't tell if he liked the boards or if he was disapproving of it.

UPDATE:  Looks like I am the only one who thought the article was biased.  Time to read it again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:00:44 PM by felicity »

Offline Hugh Howey

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Howey
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:51 AM »

I subscribe, and just read the article yesterday. Was so thrilled to see you featured! I'm also excited for the writer they spotlighted as someone working to get their start in SP. That must be amazing for her! Hopefully it gives her and her books a bit of a boost.

To me, the article seemed quite fair. It highlighted the promise of SP, had a nice quote from Konrath, and spoke of this as being real change for publishing. It also seemed very pro-Amazon to me, which was nice to read. The only thing it was missing was some David Adams, but you can't have it all.

Hugh Howey | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline Harper Alibeck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:14:53 AM »
Does Mark Coker really think eBooks should be priced at 3 cents per 1000 words? That seems low.

Offline Cheryl Douglas

• View Profile
    • www.cheryldouglasbooks.com
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:28:09 AM »
I'm anxious to read this article. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look for it on newstands.

Offline T. B. Crattie

• Southern Appalachians
    • View Profile
    • A Matter of Britain
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 07:52:59 AM »
There's still a Time magazine? Incredible! ;D

A Matter of Britain (http://tbcrattie.blogspot.com/)

Offline H. S. St. Ours

• Maryland, US
  • Water Worlds SciFi Adventure Series
    • View Profile
    • Water Worlds SciFi Adventure Series
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »
The only thing it was missing was some David Adams, but you can't have it all.

Will you guys just please get a room already. ;)

H. S. St. Ours | Water Worlds | Facebook | Twitter

Offline jvin248

• View Profile
    • J Gordon Smith - Official Author Weblog
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »

Sheryl Hoyt, also included in the article, has a copy of the article to preview on her site at the moment.
http://sherylhoyt.com/

Online Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
Sheryl Hoyt, also included in the article, has a copy of the article to preview on her site at the moment.
http://sherylhoyt.com/

This is likely a violation of Time Magazine's copyright.

Offline reiblynn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm the gal in the article  ;D

I'm new to the boards and new to all the online stuff. If you want to read the article I posted a PDF to my website (free).
The first couple pages are hard to read because of the formatting, but you can see the beautiful photo of Bella and read all about it.
www.sherylhoyt.com www.saralynnhoyt.com

I'm a little overwhelmed right now trying to figure out how to make the most of this opportunity.

Sheryl writing as Saralynn

Offline Nicole Ciacchella

• Michigan
  • Mmm, coffee...
    • View Profile
    • Words Escape Me
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
I think the article is really interesting, and I don't think it's weighted heavily one way or the other.  I think it does a good job of portraying how self-publishing is creating a shift in the book business. 

The one thing I think articles like this consistently overlook is that they're always heavily weighted on the big success stories.  While Bella's success is awesome, we all know it's not typical.  However, there are a LOT of authors here who are making enough to write as a career and, really, I think that's what most of us are aiming for.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the same level of success as Bella, but my big goal in doing this is to make enough money that I can do this for a living.  That's a dream that's not necessarily as feasible under the old publishing structure.

Plus, and this is the most important thing to me, when you're a successful indie, it's through YOUR hard work and effort.  You don't have publicity departments blitzing ads for your book everywhere, you don't have your publisher paying for your book to sit on a table at the front of B&N.  I'm not saying that traditionally published authors don't work hard, because they do.  However, I think the rewards are just different.

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm the gal in the article  ;D

I'm new to the boards and new to all the online stuff. If you want to read the article I posted a PDF to my website (free).
The first couple pages are hard to read because of the formatting, but you can see the beautiful photo of Bella and read all about it.
www.sherylhoyt.com www.saralynnhoyt.com

I'm a little overwhelmed right now trying to figure out how to make the most of this opportunity.

Sheryl writing as Saralynn

Excellent article, and thanks for posting it, Sheryl.   You should Tweet etc your head off about.  Here's a starter https://twitter.com/PaulLev/status/275327184158220290   - which also goes to my Facebook page.  And I also Google+'d it  https://plus.google.com/u/0/113940323539945773323/posts/ZpJyiVrAruZ

You should post a link to it any place online there's a discussion about epublishing.

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
This is likely a violation of Time Magazine's copyright.

I would say otherwise - probably not.  Sheryl's in the article, and unless she signed an agreement explicitly surrendering all of her rights to her own words, you don't need any else's permission to reproduce your own words.  As for the rest of the article, its reproduction on Sheryl's site would likely come under Fair Use practice - she's making no money from her Web posting, it has educational value, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I teach about intellectual property in my courses at Fordham University.

Offline A.A

• When I grow up....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »
Does Mark Coker really think eBooks should be priced at 3 cents per 1000 words? That seems low.

I just read article and this also stood out to me.

Great article. Very even-handed and showed all sides - trade publishers, Amazon, Smashwords, indies making a little and indies making a lot (and those in between), indie spokespeople etc. It also stressed how much hard work doing everything yourself is - which it is!

Offline Joseph Flynn

• Joseph Flynn
    • View Profile
    • The official website for Joseph Flynn
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »

I read the article and congrats to Bella on her hard work and success. May I borrow some Grey Poupon?

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
I believe Coker has always said that novels should be $2.99 so that's exactly in line with his opinion just phrased differently. I can't say I agree, but that's also about usual.  ;)

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline jnfr

• Colorado
  • "Stay crazy and keep typing." - Rykymus
    • View Profile
    • Clary Books
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
I thought it was fairly balanced, even if not totally up on all the things about indie writing that we might want them to understand.

I mean, the whole point of "not everyone becomes a zillioniaire" needs to be placed in the context of "well yeah, very few writers ever have, under any system". That's the stuff Hugh was trying to get at, or get past, with his recent thread about $500/month and up, making some money vs. making none.

But it didn't have that dismissive, snarky tone so many articles do when they cover this stuff. Maybe that tide really is turning.

Offline cekilgore

• Love is like a wormhole...
    • View Profile
    • C.E. Kilgore, An Author Without Genre
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
Exciting! Congrats on the feature, Bella - so wonderful to hear of a KB member getting recognition like that.

Sheryl - Welcome to the KB Community, and thank you for sharing the article with us.

Offline RM Prioleau

• Fantasy Author
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Prioleau
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
Wow, this is an AMAZING article! It's awesome to see indies brought into the national spotlight like this!!!

Online Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
I would say otherwise - probably not.  Sheryl's in the article, and unless she signed an agreement explicitly surrendering all of her rights to her own words, you don't need any else's permission to reproduce your own words.  As for the rest of the article, its reproduction on Sheryl's site would likely come under Fair Use practice - she's making no money from her Web posting, it has educational value, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I teach about intellectual property in my courses at Fordham University.

But Time Magazine is losing magazine sales because this article is posted online.

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 01:18:56 AM »
But Time Magazine is losing magazine sales because this article is posted online.

The prime issue in Fair Use is not whether the copyright holder is losing potential sales - which is always the case whenever a work is distributed for free - but whether the distributor is making money from the distribution, the purposes of distribution, etc.  That's why, for example, Fair Use can cover materials made available in a class room.