KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Bible usage on Kindle  (Read 26961 times)  

Offline kathleenb

• View Profile
Bible usage on Kindle
« on: September 10, 2009, 05:48:31 AM »
I'm new to this forum and just found this section for discussion of Bible and spiritual topics.  My husband and I are considering getting a Kindle 2 for each of us.  He's a Christian novelist and as his first editor it will be great for me to be able to load his books on my Kindle to read and edit rather than a huge printed out notebook.  However, an additional use he mentioned was being able to load a Bible on the Kindle and take that with him to Church rather than carry his paper Bible and to read at home.  I've heard some varying responses about how useful a Bible is on the Kindle as opposed to a purchased electronic Bible that is designed for that purpose (which we saw and loved the idea of on vacation).  Does anyone have any input on that for me?  Thanks so much in advance!

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
Re: Bible usage on Kindle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »
Kathleen, First, welcome to Kindle Boards & welcome to the One-Year Bible Book Klub. I think the Kindle would be great for both of you, but for different reasons. For both of you, it simply is wonderful to have so many books on such a small device! And when you take a moment to look at the section called The Book Bazaar, you will see that daily there are free books that you can get for your Kindle, and many, many outstanding bargains.

It would be extremely handy for you to have his book on your Kindle and you can edit it that way. You would just highlight a section and/or put a note on a section that you want to make comments on. I used to be a court reporter and I would have loved to have a Kindle back then. I could have loaded my transcripts that I needed to proofread on my Kindle and proofread them that way. As it was, I was always lugging transcripts with me to jobs for the times when I had breaks or lunch hours and then I proofread them.

On my Kindle I have quite a few Bibles. It is nice when I am out somewhere to have them as a reference. But I have never taken my Kindle with me to church. I think it would be too distracting to the other people in the pew. But that is just me. My church uses the English Standard Version of the Bible and I have a study ESV which I take with me on Sundays. Most people in my church carry their own Bibles, even though there are Bibles in the pews.

If you have any further questions, we are all here for you. Suzi

Offline Wheezie

• Charleston, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »
Welcome,
I have a selection of Bibles on my Kindle. My personal favorite is the ESV, but that's just my opinion. Many of the most popular Bibles are available for the Kindle at Amazon, the only one of the top of my head that isn't in Kindle format yet is the NRSV.
Again, welcome and feel free to chime in here anytime.

Lettie

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
Kathleen, nice to have you here.  I think all of us that are in this thread have several Bibles in our kindles.  I have taken mine with me to church on occasion, mostly when we are asked to bring one, I have given all my paper Bibles to others that had none.
Dona
on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
I had the same thought as you and your husband when I first got my Kindle (um, about 3 weeks ago - I'm an old-timer now! :) ) but was scared off based on the reviews posted with each bible at Amazon. It seems like it's very difficult to move around back and forth from passage to passage and since there aren't true page numbers, once you've moved through a passage somewhat, it can be very difficult to see where you are at a glance without having to page backwards to the beginning of the chapter.

If you do end up trying your Kindle at church, please post back here with the results as I may end up trying it too.

Offline lynninva

• Central Virginia, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:46:03 PM »
Welcome!

I have several Bibles on my Kindle also, but they are better for reading or comparison purposes (same passage, different translation).  To me, the one disadvantage of the Kindle is not being able to flip around easily. So I don't take mine to church, because I don't think I could find the passages quickly when the message involves numerous references from different books. 

The Kindle is great for travelling, because it is nice to always have the Bible with me, in a compact package.

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:57:28 AM »
I think reading the One Year Bible works well (or if you are just going to read straight through the Bible like any other book), but I can't see using it for study, comparison, or potentially even church use for the same reasons everyone else has mentioned.

Offline Wheezie

• Charleston, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:15:41 AM »
^^
I agree Martin. Even with the "best" formatting for the Kindle, I think it is still too hard to navigate quickly for church use or as a primary bible.
I do use the Kindle bibles daily, but they are only supplemental for me.

Offline kathleenb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:37 AM »
Thanks so much, everyone!  You've been very gracious and helpful.  I JUST placed the order for my Kindle and am looking forward to its arrival and using it for pleasure and editing purposes as my husband just finished the 1st revision of a book I haven't read at all yet.  By ordering mine first he'll get a chance to look it over and see what he thinks about using it for Bible resources.  Since we're both in the choir he wouldn't be using it during a sermon, but rather maybe at Sunday School or Bible Study where it's a more relaxed atmosphere and wouldn't be distracting to others.  Or as reference at home as his writing is Christian Fiction.  And just for the heck of it, I'll give a shout out here because he just received his first book contract yesterday from Barbour Books!  They've contracted him for 2 books in a series with option for more!  We're both really excited!  So now he knows what he needs to work on next since the 2nd book isn't written yet!  This is a true answer to prayer and has been years in the coming!  Thanks for your patience with me.  ;D

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »
Congratulations!!!!! Now the hard part -- waiting for your "baby" to arrive!  It is exquisite torture!  :D Then of course you must to to the accessories thread & dress "Baby!"  Yes, I know, I am a bad influence!  :D

Also, congratulations of your husband's book contract!! What a blessing! I'll be looking forward to it when it arrives on Kindle. I am a big fan of Christian fiction. My other love is historical fiction. Wow, you have made my day with all your happy news! Please continue to let us know how it is going. Thanks! Suzi

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
I actually do take my Kindle to church instead of my Bible.  My pastors/teachers tend to teach out of primarily one passage instead of jumping around, so I don't have that problem.  I have a toddler, so it's nice to have one less thing to carry.  Another advantage I've found is that I can put all the bookmarks, notes, and highlights that I want in without worrying about marring up the page or obscuring the tiny text, so I'm doing that a lot more.  It's also nice to have the search feature - that's helped me find a particular passage a couple of times.
Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Friend me at Goodreads

Offline Dana

• "The mind is a fire to be kindled."~Plutarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
I actually do take my Kindle to church instead of my Bible.  My pastors/teachers tend to teach out of primarily one passage instead of jumping around, so I don't have that problem. 

Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) (with Direct Verse Jump)

and
World English Bible (WEB) (with Direct Verse Jump)

and
NET Bible First Edition (with notes)

All of these have been optimized for Kindle by Osnova from the Kindle Boards here.  Because of the direct jump feature, you can easily bounce around scripture on Kindle as quickly as you can a dead tree version once you have learned the abbreviations of each book.  I purchased them after reading this thread:  http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=14749.0

If only Zondervan would do something similar to my favorite, The NIV Life Application Bible.  Due to copyright, Osnova can't optimize the NIV version.  But, I grew up on the KJV, so it's been nice to revisit the KJV...  and Osnova's version looks beautiful on the Kindle and is very user friendly.

I enjoy using the Kindle during worship and Bible classes.  It doesn't appear to be distracting to others. 

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 03:22:32 PM »
I was going to use my kindle (since I happened to have it with me) at services in Ocean Grove, NJ last summer, but they have it all on a big screen up front.
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
All of these have been optimized for Kindle by Osnova from the Kindle Boards here.  Because of the direct jump feature, you can easily bounce around scripture on Kindle as quickly as you can a dead tree version once you have learned the abbreviations of each book.  I purchased them after reading this thread:  http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=14749.0

If only Zondervan would do something similar to my favorite, The NIV Life Application Bible.  Due to copyright, Osnova can't optimize the NIV version.  But, I grew up on the KJV, so it's been nice to revisit the KJV...  and Osnova's version looks beautiful on the Kindle and is very user friendly.

I've just noticed this thread.  Thanks, Dana, for your feedback (if you want, please add your feedback on amazon).  I have actually written to Zondervan's permissions department offering my services for the conversion or, in the alternative, asking for permission to do and distribute NIV with DVJ on my own and paying them whatever fee they require.  So far, I have not heard back from them.  I've sent a similar request to Thomas Nelson regarding NKJV.  If you think this is important send them a separate request.  If enough people start asking for this feature they will do it (either themselves or with my help).

By the way, I am currently working on the Douay-Rheims Bible for the Kindle.  Somebody asked for it on the Kindle (I hadn't used/read it before then).  If you have suggestions about other public domain translations or Christian books, let me know.  For example, I have released for free the Chinese Union Bible with DVJ.  I am also thinking of making a Russian Bible.  These Bibles require Kindle hacking so that their characters are displayed properly, so I probably will release them for free for those bold enough to hack their Kindles.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:34:36 PM by osnova »

Offline Jwindham

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
Thank-you all!!  I just received my Kindle for Christmas and have been working with the free books before deciding which Bible.  Then I found this Board.  I too love my NIV study Bible from Zondervan [Life in the Spirit].  In fact, while on Amazon, clicked the button asking the publisher to release it on Kindle.  How else can I help to get Zondervan's attention??  I would really like to be able to use the Kindle for Bible study as we usually flip between books both within the Bible and then off to other books like a Beth Moore Study or a John Eldridge book.

Am really hoping to use this to better study His word.

Thanks all,

Janet from NC

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »
Jwindham,

Welcome! 

It could help to send an e-mail directly to Zondervan to request the Bible on Kindle.  Sometimes it helps, and sometimes it doesn't.  But it can't hurt to try.

Martin

Offline Jwindham

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »
Done!!!  Below is what I just sent:

I love my Zondervan NIV and King James Study Bibles [I own them both].  Just received a Kindle for Christmas.  Please, please "Kindle-ize" your wonderful materpieces!!!!!!  I as well as many others have a keen interest. On the "Kindle Board" under the "Bible Usage thread" [http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,13506.0.html]is a discussion demonstrating the desire of having this as a tool to better study His word.

Thank-you for your kind consideration!!

Best Wishes for a blessed New Year,

Janet

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »
Just to clarify.

There is already an NIV (not a study Bible though) for the Kindle.  Their NIV is quite good (it has book, chapter and verse links), and the price is great.  I've bought it for myself.   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC2KBU/

What I've been suggesting is that Zondervan allow me to incorporate my Direct Verse Jump into the NIV and sell it through me or directly as another alternative for those people who like DVJ.

And now we have very encouraging news.  A representative from Zondervan has just written me to say that they will consider my proposal after the holidays.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:06:07 AM by osnova »

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
Just to clarify.

There is already an NIV (not a study Bible though) for the Kindle.  Their NIV is quite good (it has book, chapter and verse links), and the price is great.  I've bought it for myself.   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC2KBU/

What I've been suggesting is that Zondervan allow me to incorporate my Direct Verse Jump into the NIV and sell it through me or directly as another alternative for those people who like DVJ.

And now we have very encouraging news.  A representative from Zondervan has just written me to say that they will consider my proposal after the holidays.
Please let us know how that discussion develops.
It is always good to know about alternative choices.

Just sayin.....

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Jwindham

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
OK...thanks for the clarification.  I just resent a request to Zondervan as follows:

I love my Zondervan NIV and King James Study Bibles [I own them both]. Just received a Kindle for Christmas. Please, please "Kindle-ize" your wonderful materpieces!!!!!! I, as well as many others, have a keen interest. On the "Kindle Board" under the "Bible Usage thread" [http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,13506.0.html]is a discussion demonstrating the desire of having this as a tool to better study His word.

To be clear, what is needed is to both offer 1. the study Bible for the Kindle and 2. offer it with the "Direct Verse Jump" feature. This will create the best tool available to study His word. And, would allow easy study both while at church and during Bible studies.

Thank-you for your kind consideration!!

Best Wishes for a blessed New Year,

Janet

Will post their reply!!
Happy New Year all!!!
Janet in NC

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
Thank you, Janet, for your support.

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
I'd just make sure you can get the translation and form you want. I think we finally got an Orthodox Bible on kindle for example ( and I'm not 100% sure) and last I checked there were only 2 Catholic Bibles available.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »
What Orthodox Bible are you talking about?  This one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XPNVFI/?

For Catholic Bibles, I know Douay-Rheims (I am releasing one with Direct Verse Jump in the next couple of days) and the Ignatius Bible.  I know that the New American Bible is another Catholic Bible, but I do not see a version for the Kindle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:22:55 PM by osnova »

Offline Jwindham

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
Hi!!  Am looking for an NIV study Bible. Thanks for your info.

Janet 

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »
Hi!!  Am looking for an NIV study Bible. Thanks for your info.

Janet 

From another, thread http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,16328.msg333855.html#msg333855 .  I think (but not sure) that they contain NIV text, and possibly can be used as a study Bible.  I am not buying them right now because I have exhausted my limit on such purchases for now :)

Offline lovesangelrn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:42 PM »
osnova,

I just wanted to take the time and say thank you for your dedication to make the Bible simple to use on the kindle and also for taking the time to ensure that there are no errors.  I used your KJV in church this morning and found it very easy to keep up with the pastor (I think I may have beat several regular Bible owners to the passages, lol).  Thank you so much :)

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 05:25:18 AM »
This is great! I am excited that my work is useful for God's people!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:56:54 PM by osnova »

Offline Jwindham

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 10:56:45 AM »
No answer from Zondervan on the NIV study Bible.. ::)

Shall I call or send follow-up e-mail?  Any suggestions?

Am working on my "searching" skills.

Janet

Offline LauraElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
Hello I am new, this is my first post. I received my Kindle on November 25th, 2009 which was my birthday! I absolutely love it!

I do take my Bible to church. I have lots of chemical sensitivities and paper and books really cause me problems. I have had to buy a new Bible every year or two for about 8 years as the paper becomes toxic to me. I am sure that sounds very weird. Because of my problems with books the Kindle is like a miracle for me! I love it so much.

I currently have the ESV, NASB, CJB, KJV and a Chronological Bible (NKJV) on my Kindle. The one I usually use for church services or group settings is the KJV with Direct Verse Jump as it is so easy to look up a verse quickly.

I felt awkward the first time I took it to a service a few weeks ago, particularly since we had just started visiting there. After a couple of visits I asked the pastor if it was okay if I used it in the service and he was completely fine with it. I do make a point to not look at any other books or anything else on my Kindle during the actual service :-)

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
  • Member 527
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »
Welcome to Kindleboards, SueEllen.  How great that Kindle can help you with your sensitivities.
deb
Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 08:42:49 AM »
I have my One Year Bible NLT on my Kindle and I love it!  I read two days of Bible reading everyday. :)

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »
Welcome, Sue Ellen! How wonderful the Kindle is working out so well for you with the Bible. I have had my Kindle since October, 2008 and I don't know what I would do without it.

Offline arshield

• Marietta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Bookwi.se
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
I have heard the ESV study bible has been formated very well for kindle http://www.amazon.com/ESV-Study-Bible-ebook/dp/B001CDWFPC

It is the only study bible that I have seen.  I haven't purchased it because I am ok with the free ESV.  Of the ones I have I think Holman Christian Standard Bible is best formated, but there have been a bunch released since I last looked. http://www.amazon.com/Holman-CSB-Bible-ebook/dp/B0011TMNZ4/

Offline love4god

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:20 AM »
Hi Osnova,

Did you ever hear anything back about permission to do a NKJV?  I just found your bibles on amazon and I can finally use my kindle during a sermon and get the passages fast enough to keep up.  I am using the KJV version, but my church uses the NKJV.  Any news?

Thanks

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• North Riverside, IL, USA
  • Joe Chiappetta, author of Star Chosen sci-fi novel
    • View Profile
    • Star Chosen science fiction novel and Silly Daddy comics
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »
I also use electronic Bible as a supplement, but not my main reading device. Can get around as quick electronically. Also, the more I have used e-Bibles, the harder it is to remember the order of Books in the Bible. But the search/concordance feature is valuable in a pinch.

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »
I use my Kindle in church when I happen to be sitting in the back with no one around who will be distracted by it. I love being able to bookmark and make notes. (I'm one of those people who have a very difficult time writing in an actual bound Bible.)  I always have my Kindle with me anyway, so it's only natural for me to want to use it when following our pastor as he reads various passages. (When I know that I/we will be sitting closer to the front of the church, where the pews are full, I usually take one of my smaller Bibles with me.

(I'd prefer using my Kindle in church all of the time. Maybe I'll get to the point that I feel comfortable doing that. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a techie and many know that I have a Kindle. I probably don't want to get into a discussion about killing libraries or hear people talk about how they love the feel of a book in their hands. I'm not killing libraries, and I LOVE books. With my Oberon cover, my Kindle feels much like a leather-bound book.)

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
  • Member 2434
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
I like to use my K2 in church when I know that we will be focussing on a particular book and a selection of verses in it.
However when one is following the thread of a functional discussion through multiple books and sometimes back and forth from the Old Testament to the New Testament then the Kindle is not up to the challenge.  Then I want a paper copy.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Angela

• Texas
  • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »
I have used my KK a few times in church or when I find myself in a situation where I don't have my bible with me and need one. I have gotten pretty fast at getting to scripture when the pastor or speaker jumps around from passage to passage, but still prefer my bible for the most part. BUT, when it comes to reading, it is the Kindle all the way.

I have never wanted to "trade up" to a K2, but the DVJ feature that osnova has provided makes it very tempting!

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
I still like taking my paper Bible to church. One of the big reasons is it helps me to remember where scriptures are. If I am thinking of a particular scripture, say, something Paul wrote, I'll think, "Oh, it's in Romans, on the left page up near the top of the page." I have found many a scripture that way.

Our pastor will preach on a particular set of verses for his sermon. When he refers to some other scripture other than what he's preaching on, I can keep my finger in the one section and look at the other scripture and flit back & forth for comparison.

Offline lovesangelrn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 02:01:15 AM »
I like to use my K2 in church when I know that we will be focussing on a particular book and a selection of verses in it.
However when one is following the thread of a functional discussion through multiple books and sometimes back and forth from the Old Testament to the New Testament then the Kindle is not up to the challenge.  Then I want a paper copy.

Might I suggest one of the Bibles from Osnova.  This publisher uses a method called "direct-verse jump," which makes following along very easy when navigating to differenct chapters and book.  There aren't too many translations from this publisher yet, but as I prefer KJV anyway, I love it. 

Here's a link to the amazon website with the filter on for "direct verse jump" 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=direct+verse+jump&x=0&y=0&sprefix=direct+ver

Offline skyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
Thanks so much for this link!  What a marvelous idea!

Offline bluefrog

• El Paso
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
This publisher uses a method called "direct-verse jump," which makes following along very easy when navigating to different chapters and book. 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=direct+verse+jump&x=0&y=0&sprefix=direct+ver
Thank you. The Bible that I got for my kindle is very difficult to get around in, and I actually came to this thread hoping to find one with good navigation. This sounds like a great idea.

Offline mrscottishman

• Winchester, TN
  • Scott Hogue
    • View Profile
    • Hogue On Life
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
I am new to this corner of the forum so pardon me if this has been discussed at length.  What KJV study or reference Bibles are available for the kindle?  I have two KJV from osnova and find them to be very nice.  I have the direct verse jump and the text to speech friendly version.  I miss not having something like Dakes, Thompson Chain Reference, Scofield or similar on my Kindle 2.

I have done some searching on Amazon, but I may have missed something and I know other websites also sell ebooks.

thanks,
Scott

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Kindle Screensavers
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »
Scott, I'm not sure if this will fit your bill, but you might want to sample this to see if it'll fit your needs... it's an Osnova edition with DVJ.

Offline mrscottishman

• Winchester, TN
  • Scott Hogue
    • View Profile
    • Hogue On Life
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 07:30:05 AM »
Scott, I'm not sure if this will fit your bill, but you might want to sample this to see if it'll fit your needs... it's an Osnova edition with DVJ.

Thank you, I will look into it.  For study and church work I use the KJV, but the study notes of the NET bible may be valuable to me.

I think I saw an Eastons or maybe a Matthew Henry that had the bible in the text.  That sounds interesting too.

Thank you,
Scott Hogue

Offline RobertK

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
No one seems to have posted here in a while, but I thought I'd mention that I bought and am trying out this:

and it's very good so far. I tested the ESV version and it seemed decent as well, but because I have a good ESV already I thought I'd grab a translation I have spent little time in, but heard good things about. And the price couldn't be better!

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
  • No. 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »
Robert, Thanks for posting that. I had not seen it before. It's a great price so I grabbed it. Suzi

Offline Angela

• Texas
  • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »
yes, thanks Robert! Great price and I love having multiple translations.

Offline draytonbenner

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:49 AM »
Here is a new Bible resource: a beautiful Hebrew Bible with excellent navigation.

We at Miklal Software Solutions have overcome the Kindle's Hebrew and right-to-left limitations and have produced a Hebrew Bible for Kindle (as well as a Hebrew Bible for Nook). You can also see screenshots and read a fuller description of these Hebrew Bibles for e-readers. You can also search for Kindle Bible resources from Miklal Software in the Amazon Kindle store or search for Nook Bible resources from Miklal Software in the B&N Nook store to see all our titles.

From the book's description at Amazon:

Hebrew Bible (Tanakh) is a complete Hebrew Bible in an aesthetically pleasing Hebrew script. It contains all of the consonants, vowels, cantillation marks (accents), and other symbols. It follows the text of the Leningrad Codex as digitized by the J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research. This is the same manuscript underlying Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS) and Biblia Hebraica Quinta (BHQ).

From a couple of reviewers:

One could not ask for a more visually pleasing text from which to read the Hebrew Bible. This offering provides a giant leap forward for eReaders and a must have for everyone from the casual student to the serious scholar.

"the text in both [the Kindle and Nook] versions looks as professional as the type in my hardcopy Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. the final result is impressive. The Hebrew Bible for Kindle and Nook includes a fairly sophisticated navigation systemone that is more feature rich than most eReader titles.

~Drayton Benner,
President, Miklal Software Solutions

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »
Can someone share a few screenshots of how direct verse jump works? I use my Bible on Kindle in the mornings but don't jump around too much because of the slow navigation in the free version I have.

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »
I am at a church conference rght now and surprisingly the Kindle is swift enough to keep up for what I need to follow along with. however when the preacher skips around a lot then it does get challenging. But I cant complain.

Offline Casper Parks

• Planet Earth
  • Novelist, Casper Parks
    • View Profile
    • Casper Parks
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »
I am at a church conference rght now and surprisingly the Kindle is swift enough to keep up for what I need to follow along with. however when the preacher skips around a lot then it does get challenging. But I cant complain.

Was wondering if people would start carrying and e-book reader to church instead of Bible.

Casper Parks an author for todays generation.

Casper Parks | author website | goodreads | google+ | youtube | twitter

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
Can someone share a few screenshots of how direct verse jump works? I use my Bible on Kindle in the mornings but don't jump around too much because of the slow navigation in the free version I have.

I can do better.  Here you will find written and video tutorials for DVJ http://osnova.com/category/how-tos/

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Was wondering if people would start carrying and e-book reader to church instead of Bible.

That's me. I can typically look up a verse (yes, using DVJ) in two or three translations while everybody looks it up in their paper Bibles.

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
    • View Profile
    • My Eclectic Range
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »

I use my Kindle in church every Sunday, as do my daughters and son-in-law and a couple of my friends who visit occasionally. I haven't tried DVJ yet, but will look into it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the highlighting system. It makes it difficult to find what I highlighted and when. There may be a very simple way to do it, as well as to organize my highlights and bookmarks, but I have to admit that I haven't taken the time to figure it out. Guess I should put that near the top of my "to do" list.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »
Thanks so much for the video links on the Bible usage on Kindle! I appreciate it.

Offline osnova

• NoVa
    • View Profile
    • OSNOVA
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
Thanks so much for the video links on the Bible usage on Kindle! I appreciate it.
My pleasure.  I am still not sure in my acting and video-making abilities :)

Offline Joe Chiappetta

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »
Your video tutorials are quite good. I love that direct verse jump feature and what you did with the five way controller on Kindle. I will be checking out pricing soon. Thanks again.