Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Freetime question - reading your own books not purchased from amazon  (Read 16834 times)  

Offline theruleslawyer

• View Profile
Re: Freetime question - reading your own books not purchased from amazon
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I already tried.

I do use Calibre.  If I email my kindle the book, it goes to documents.  If I sideload it, I can make it show up under "books".

However, just like with sideloaded apps, they don't show up on the list when you are choosing content for freetime.  Only the things purchased from amazon are available.

Wow... that is a strange distinction. Almost like they are using the cloud to run freetime. I wonder what happens with freetime if wifi is off?
You'd think that it would be a metadata tag that it is looking for, or maybe its looking for .AZW I forget if calibre can convert to that format.

Offline TraceyC/FL

• NW Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 06:06:35 AM »
I was revisiting this topic since there is a good chance i'm going to exchange my Nabi's for Fire's today or tomorrow.

I"m guessing that the Overdrive solution will not allow Freetime to use it for the "unlimited reading" - that that must be the Amazon app?

I really really STILL do not want my kids in my archive, and can get around that with Freetime, but would just rather side load the books like i'm doing for Aldiko on the nabi's. This is hard without a device to play with, and I never played with one attached to my Prime account either.

I wish the $50 off for students covered the 7"..... sigh.

Offline puglover333

• IL (near St. Louis)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »
I was revisiting this topic since there is a good chance i'm going to exchange my Nabi's for Fire's today or tomorrow.

I"m guessing that the Overdrive solution will not allow Freetime to use it for the "unlimited reading" - that that must be the Amazon app?

I really really STILL do not want my kids in my archive, and can get around that with Freetime, but would just rather side load the books like i'm doing for Aldiko on the nabi's. This is hard without a device to play with, and I never played with one attached to my Prime account either.

I wish the $50 off for students covered the 7"..... sigh.

Reading on overdrive is considered using an app.  So you have to set the app time limit to unlimited.

Offline TraceyC/FL

• NW Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:34 AM »

Reading on overdrive is considered using an app.  So you have to set the app time limit to unlimited.
UGH. Darn it. Expected, but not what I wanted to hear either! Thanks!!

Offline ksburgess

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share how I found to side-load books into Freetime since I found this thread while looking for a solution :).  This works in both little kid and teen Freetime on our new 5th gen Fires (2015 $50 tab).  I installed the Calibre Companion app, then loaded in the books I wanted each kid to have (I had Calibre convert any epubs to .azw format).  Then my child picks a book off the Calibre Companion app, and it automatically launches the books in the book reader app (you can configure the app settings to launch on click, or show an info page). 

It will not remember position in the book, so my older kids have to bookmark (it remembers the bookmarks).  But otherwise it works great for us - they are able to read sideloaded books, and since it's the Kindle app, it counts as reading time (unlimited) and not app time.

They just have to remember to leave 15 min or so on app time always so they don't lock themselves out of their bookshelf in the Calibre Companion (there's no other way to access the books in Freetime!)

It's also nice because my older kids can use Calibre Companion to sort books by tag, etc., since I keep our ebook collection organized in Calibre (on my desktop).  And transferring books over is easy.

This has been a great solution for us and I hope it helps someone else!

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 05:39:00 AM »
Thank you so much for this info @ksburgess! I have spent hours trying to find a way around that. The app does cost $3.99 for anyone else wanting to try it, but it works so I'm happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TraceyC/FL

• NW Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 06:55:35 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share how I found to side-load books into Freetime since I found this thread while looking for a solution :)

Let me 1-up your found the thread thing.... because, I just googled to find some answers - and found myself in a thread I had participated in!!!  ;)

My kids have been enjoying greatly their iPod Touches I ended up getting for them instead of the Nabi's I returned. They chose those instead of the Fire at the time. They were using eInk readers for books. Now i'm back to needing to replace those and ordered the Kids Kindle. I am happy to see I can to from A to Z easier now, except now i really want access to Tales2Go audio streaming (Amazon rejected their app), and apparently audiobooks don't work in Freetime... nor does Immersion Reading. BUT, they can read the books - so lets focus on that first.

Thanks for the further info on getting things to work. I'll mess with it when the one shows up (after Christmas) and see how it goes.

Offline gaidinsgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 06:05:59 AM »
You can turn on the text to speech feature too and let the kindle read the book to them. It worked with all the books I added the calibre companion app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
This is not an issue with FreeTime per se, but with the way Parental Controls function on the various devices. There is no Personal Document functionality to that at all, by design. The thinking is that any Parental Controls that allowed side-loading of unidentified reading material or even Personal Documents delivered wirelessly would not meet the requirements and expectations of most customers that want that feature. The whole point is to lock the device down so you don't have to worry about what your kids can read on there if, for example, they get hold of a USB cable at their friend's house.

To me it sounds like too much trouble to engage the calibre/calibre companion workaround, with its less than perfect result (not able to save reading position). I'm very technical but am simultaneously very convenience oriented. In the 'time is money' equation, maybe it is less expensive just to buy stuff from Amazon.

I think it is unfortunate that Immersion Reading is not available to the child accounts in Family Library, since that's supposed to be a great way to learn how to read.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:12:52 PM by tsemple »

Offline Cornelius

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 07:15:46 PM »
So close, and yet so far away... This thread seems to have exactly the solution I need. I want to use Overdrive in Freetime just as described on page one of this thread. It seems to work great:

1. Install Overdrive
2. Allow Overdrive on Freetime account
3. Access ePub file via Silk browser on main account (I went directly to my calibre library, i.e. 192.168.1.XXX:8080)
4. Click file and it automatically opens the ePub book in Overdrive
and here's where it breaks
5. switch to freetime account, but the book isn't there.

This actually makes sense to me, because other apps do not share data. For example, my kids both can play the same game on the same kindle and it keeps their progress saved separately. So it is more surprising to me that the above method was working for anyone. Has something changed? Am I missing a step?

I thought maybe signing into Overdrive with a library account might help (on main and freetime) but no luck there. I'd even be happy manually copying the ePub to the kindle, but when I put it in a similar structure I see overdrive using for downloaded books, it still doesn't show up (on main or freetime overdrive).

I may just buy the Calibre app, but I'm annoyed that I have only 300 'coins' after having thousands of them (promotional) expire recently.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »
If you want to sideload things, you need to be signed into the same profile as you want them to be viewed on. At least connecting it directly with a USB cable, you see a completely difference folder structure depending on whether you are in the parental or child profile.

I was, however, able to sideload movies and tv shows to the Fire while I was signed in to my daughter's profile. I'd guess that books would work similarly. So authorize silk for the child profile, get the books into overdrive, then unauthorize silk. I think that would do it(?)

Offline Kindledadagain

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »
ARGH Thank you speaker to animals! Your comment was finally the one that fixed everything. I just installed adobe free reader and allowed it in freetime but I couldn't ever find the pdf files from the kid account. I just assumed it wouldn't let you see certain files but you solved the problem. Sideloading simply needs to be done when logged into the child account. THANKS and hopefully the adobe pdf reader app from the amazon store will solve the problem for others trying to access .pdf files.

Offline Raz39c

• View Profile
reading your own books not purchased from amazon
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
I was reading an older post about books, etc. not bought from Amazon.

I have an amazing number of books, mostly in mobi or pdf format.  I didn't know the Fire could use epub books.

I downloaded a free app from (Amazon's?) app store called ES File Explorer.

Using the little square button on the bottom to show all  the apps on the screen shows ES Explorer.  When I open this it shows a good group of icons. Scrolling across  these I see a folder named documents.  It shows all docs on the Fire.  You can't read Amazon books here but scroll down and all mobi, pdf epub, ect docs are displayed and read them from there.

I don't know if this is the best way but it seems simplest to me.

Warning- the Fire doesn't save the last page read.  I wright down the location before I stop reading.

Richard