Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 8594 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »
I have tried to get into this series several times now, but the first book just doesn't grab me.  I know it will drive some of you crazy, but can you recommend one later in the series that I can try before going back to the beginning?

re: Louise Penny, Inspector Gamache series

I loved it from the first page, I'm afraid . . . and for me they only get better. I do think if the first one doesn't appeal, none of the later ones will either. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
Atunah, you might like Martha Grimes Richard Jury series. Serious mysteries, a bit less gritty than the Lynley series, but generally a lot of fun. There are upwards of 20 titles right now, and she's still writing as far as I know. Each is named for a pub in England and the mystery is connected somehow to the establishment. There are some kind of zany sidekicks who work with him, but it doesn't ever descend into farce.

The earlier ones are best, the last 3 or 4 are a bit bizarre, I thought, though actually, the last/most recent one was better again, more like her old self.

There's also the Adam Dalgliesh series by P.D. James. There are 14 of those; she died a few years ago. Those are bit more serious, more like the Lynley series.

Here are the first in each series.

Thanks Ann, I'll check them out. Now I have to also check out the Louise Penny series as I keep seeing it around here.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
Thanks Ann, I'll check them out. Now I have to also check out the Louise Penny series as I keep seeing it around here.

Here's the first one:

Very likely you can find them through Overdrive as well.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »
Here's the first one:

Very likely you can find them through Overdrive as well.
Thanks.

Yes, thankfully most I see are on my libraries, thankfully. Some of the prices on these mysteries. Ouch, I have seen 11.99 a lot. I have a chrome plug in that shows me on ever amazon book page, on every audible book page and on goodreads book page which of my libraries a book is available. Its pretty handy. I don't mind buying books, but when I'll be reading a long mystery series with like 10 or more books, I can't afford the over 7.99 up to 11.99 or even 12.99. Like the Estelle Ryan, I don't mind at all paying 5.99, that is like half of what some others charge. Those aren't at libraries anyway.

Online V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2017, 02:51:15 PM »
Atunah, you might like Martha Grimes Richard Jury series. Serious mysteries, a bit less gritty than the Lynley series, but generally a lot of fun. There are upwards of 20 titles right now, and she's still writing as far as I know. Each is named for a pub in England and the mystery is connected somehow to the establishment. There are some kind of zany sidekicks who work with him, but it doesn't ever descend into farce.

I second the recommendation of the Richard Jury novels by Martha Grimes. What is interesting about the Jury novels is that the recurring characters, like Melrose Plant and his Aunt Agatha, are just as interesting as the main character. Highly recommended.

Offline SarahCarter

• London, UK
  • Fantasy and YA author
    • View Profile
    • Sarah Carter
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »
re: Louise Penny, Inspector Gamache series

I loved it from the first page, I'm afraid . . . and for me they only get better. I do think if the first one doesn't appeal, none of the later ones will either. :(

I agree with that, although for me the first one was probably my favorite.

Offline StephanieQueen

• View Profile
    • Stephanie Queen
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
Right now, it's Sandra Brown.
But that'll change. It always does  8)

Stephanie Queen | blog

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:26 AM »
I got hooked on the Estelle Ryan series because of readers from KB.

This is one of my favourite genres and I thought the Gauguin Connection sounded like something I would enjoy, so I went to download it and discovered I already had it! I really must do something about reducing my TBR list, it's getting out of hand.

(First thing I should probably do is stop reading enabling threads like this one.... :o)

Book 12, The Roubaud Connection, will be released February 22 and is available for pre-order at $5.99! YAY!!

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
Arg, just when I said my new years resolution is to continue what I started in 2017, catching up with series. Now I see how far behind I am with the Estelle Ryan series. Authors write too fast now I think. I can't keep up with everything.

And I am also still staring at the number of books in the Inspector Lynley series I have to get to, and JD Robb and who knows what else. Every time I go to fictfact I cringe. I have 357 series logged there. most of them I started  :o :o

Going to try to make January a big reading month. Usually how January goes for me is a good indicator for the rest of the year.

Online CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »
Lots of great suggestions here & many I have followed in the past but went by the wayside when I started getting more into paranormal fiction.

But I recently read the first in a series by a mother-daughter team, P. J. Tracy ... Monkeewrench. There are 6 so far & I'm looking forward to the next few.
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Joseph M. Erhardt

• U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
I also like Deborah Crombie, though I got peeved at her for the cheap writer's trick she used leaving me hanging in her previous-to-current book (the one before Garden of Lamentations).

A recent (more or less recent) favorite was the Diane Fallon series by Beverly Connor.  The author has apparently discontinued this series to move on to other characters, alas.

Among the classic writers, Agatha Christie is my top pick, though I was probably well into my late 20's before I really began to appreciate her work. The Marples and Poirots are my favorites, though occasional outliers, like The Seven Dials Mystery, can be a pleasant surprise.

Joseph M. Erhardt

Online V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:12 AM »
I'm a Deborah Crombie fan as well, although I have to admit that I like the earlier books in her series more than the later ones.

Online Tony Richards

• "Richards is a master" RT Book Reviews f/sf column
    • View Profile
    • Tony Richards -- Dark Fantasy Author
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
If you've never read Patricia Highsmith, you've been wasting your time.