Author Topic: Create your Reading Page, and a forum Reading Bar  (Read 36940 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: New feature: get your Reading Page, and a forum Reading Bar
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:03 AM »
Its happening on both, the setup page and the reading page. Right now its not showing any of my "To be Read" on my reading page. Its just small squares. The squares are new though. It used to just not show certain books. I can refresh my reading page and it will show a different set of books, usually not all. Sometimes it will show 10 of my recently read, then 12, or 5. Same with the other 2 fields.
On the setup page sometimes it will show the number and then just "by" instead of the title. But its not always matched with what it shows on the reading page.

I can't think of the last time I actually saw all the books on my reading page that I have filled in on the setup page.  :P. I figured it was the system overloaded, but I don't notice many others posting they have that issue.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
I was wondering how everyone was doing this.. duh.. maybe if I would just read all the forums..  Will get mine set up after work..

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:29 AM »
Its happening on both, the setup page and the reading page. Right now its not showing any of my "To be Read" on my reading page. Its just small squares. The squares are new though. It used to just not show certain books. I can refresh my reading page and it will show a different set of books, usually not all. Sometimes it will show 10 of my recently read, then 12, or 5. Same with the other 2 fields.
On the setup page sometimes it will show the number and then just "by" instead of the title. But its not always matched with what it shows on the reading page.

I can't think of the last time I actually saw all the books on my reading page that I have filled in on the setup page.  :P. I figured it was the system overloaded, but I don't notice many others posting they have that issue.

Ack, you detected a bug in the Reading Page - that I introduced late last night... and just fixed. It was preventing the To Be Read covers from being displayed on the Reading Page. That's fixed now.

Other than that, my covers are showing up pretty reliably, both on the Setup Page and on the Reading Page. Let me know how your experience is and maybe we can track down what's happening that makes it more inconsistent with you (and maybe others as well).

Thanks!
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2013, 07:34:11 AM »
I was wondering how everyone was doing this.. duh.. maybe if I would just read all the forums..  Will get mine set up after work..

Looking forward to seeing it!

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
Does clicking the M next to the book in to be read automatically move it to currently reading?  very cool feature 
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:35 AM »
Ack, you detected a bug in the Reading Page - that I introduced late last night... and just fixed. It was preventing the To Be Read covers from being displayed on the Reading Page. That's fixed now.

Other than that, my covers are showing up pretty reliably, both on the Setup Page and on the Reading Page. Let me know how your experience is and maybe we can track down what's happening that makes it more inconsistent with you (and maybe others as well).

Thanks!

I am still getting the small rectangles in place of some of the covers. They move. If I refresh my reading page 10 times, I get 10 different results on what covers will be missing. They are in all the 3 sections. Reading, recently read and to be read. Its just random which ones will be gone. Sometimes its 2, other times its 4, 6 etc. I have yet to get all my listed books to show up.
I deleted 2 from the recently read list to keep it at 14, which is 2 rows. I have 5 in to be read and 2 right now in reading.

But I still have the same issue still in the set up page where the "by" with the missing title appears on random books. The number always stays in the field though. And it doesn't really correlate with whats appearing, or not appearing on the reading page.

Confusing.  :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:02:48 AM by Atunah »

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2013, 10:17:17 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it!

took a work break.. and added mine.. very cool!  Thanks..will probably use this instead of the "what are you reading" thread!

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
Does clicking the M next to the book in to be read automatically move it to currently reading?  very cool feature 

Yes, it does! It's a new feature.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »
I am still getting the small rectangles in place of some of the covers. They move. If I refresh my reading page 10 times, I get 10 different results on what covers will be missing. They are in all the 3 sections. Reading, recently read and to be read. Its just random which ones will be gone. Sometimes its 2, other times its 4, 6 etc. I have yet to get all my listed books to show up.
I deleted 2 from the recently read list to keep it at 14, which is 2 rows. I have 5 in to be read and 2 right now in reading.

But I still have the same issue still in the set up page where the "by" with the missing title appears on random books. The number always stays in the field though. And it doesn't really correlate with whats appearing, or not appearing on the reading page.

Confusing.  :D

The Setup page reads the ASINs that you've previously stored, and for each one it makes a call to Amazon's database to retrieve the cover, author, and title. It seems that you're getting hit with a lot of failed retrievals there... and, as you say, the books it fails to retrieve can be random and have no correlation to the Reading Page.

I don't have an immediate answer, except to say I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I'll keep looking into it.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:50 AM »
That's alright Harvey. Most of the time I have enough covers to show something in my bar.  ;D

Maybe it will straighten itself out over time. Maybe Amazon doesn't like what I read.  :P
People will think I am reading naughty things that need to be censored.  :D. And I am alright with that.  ;D

I have enough books filled in to display some, so even if a few keep wandering off. I love the new move buttons. Once this is set up now, I don't really have to do anything but hit a button.

Awesome.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
Yes, it does! It's a new feature.
thanks Harvey that's what I figured...Love the new bar/pg
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
  • Flight #1623
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
took a work break.. and added mine.. very cool!  Thanks..will probably use this instead of the "what are you reading" thread!

Ooh, a new Robert Crais book!  Okay, so this cool new tool is getting expensive...   ;D

(Make your own reading bar)
The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Offline kansaskyle

• Austin, Texas
  • Fortitudine Vincimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
The new reading bar is pretty nifty - way to go Harvey!

Feature request - Would you be willing to add a check box next to each category that people can selectively choose which categories to display?  For example, I have no idea what I'm going to read next, which is typical for me, so I would like to leave off the 'To Be Read' section.   

Some general observations:
  • What I do now - When reading a forum post, I check the poster's name, and then I check their reading bar.  It's a great way to judge a book by its cover (err..., get an idea of who they are by what they read)
  • A lot of people read multiple books at the same time - I'm surprised how many people show two books they are reading at a time.  I'm more of a one-book-at-a-time man.
  • Planning ahead - I noticed a lot of people have one or two books on their 'To Be Read' list.  I usually don't know what I'm going to read next until I finish the book I'm on.
  • Interesting looking at people's reading order - It is kind of neat seeing the order some folks read books.  I noticed one person read like eight Ed McBain books in a row, while others seem to read romance stuff, some a mix of genres, etc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:49:21 PM by kansaskyle »

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Re: New feature: get your Reading Page, and a forum Reading Bar
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2013, 02:49:21 PM »
I'm planning on using the what I am reading thread to comment on the books I have in my Sig.

Sent from Killashandra, my Fire HD8.9 4G
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
...A lot of people read multiple books at the same time - I'm surprised how many people show two books they are reading at a time.  I'm more of a one-book-at-a-time man.
Planning ahead - I noticed a lot of people have one or two books on their 'To Be Read' list.  I usually don't know what I'm going to read next until I finish the book I'm on.

I also only read one book at at time, but I don't like seeing the gap on the bar so I'm leaving the book I finished immediately before the current one under the 'reading' section. It'll go across to 'recently read' when I start my next book.

What I intend to read next changes hourly, so I just put a few books off my TBR list on to that section on the reading page and just let the sig bar pick up the top two off the list. I make no promises that those are the ones I will actually read next!
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »
I also only read one book at at time, but I don't like seeing the gap on the bar so I'm leaving the book I finished immediately before the current one under the 'reading' section. It'll go across to 'recently read' when I start my next book.

What I intend to read next changes hourly, so I just put a few books off my TBR list on to that section on the reading page and just let the sig bar pick up the top two off the list. I make no promises that those are the ones I will actually read next!

That is kind of what I am doing. I usually read one book at time too and didn't like a hole in my bar.  ;D. So I put another in I will read next. High probability, but no guarantee.  ;D. The left one is always the one I am reading now though.
And I too just stick a few in to be read I plan on reading next. But that too can change at any time. Its a tentative reading list. I rarely stick to lists though, unless I have library books piled up that need to be read.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Re: Re: New feature: get your Reading Page, and a forum Reading Bar
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
That is kind of what I am doing. I usually read one book at time too and didn't like a hole in my bar.  ;D. So I put another in I will read next. High probability, but no guarantee.  ;D. The left one is always the one I am reading now though.
And I too just stick a few in to be read I plan on reading next. But that too can change at any time. Its a tentative reading list. I rarely stick to lists though, unless I have library books piled up that need to be read.

There's often a book I liked but stopped for some reason, such as a library book arriving. That's what I have as my second book.  And I just have possibilities under TO BE READ not a commitment....

Sent from Killashandra, my Fire HD8.9 4G
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:49:18 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »
The new reading bar is pretty nifty - way to go Harvey!

Feature request - Would you be willing to add a check box next to each category that people can selectively choose which categories to display?  For example, I have no idea what I'm going to read next, which is typical for me, so I would like to leave off the 'To Be Read' section.   

Some general observations:
  • What I do now - When reading a forum post, I check the poster's name, and then I check their reading bar.  It's a great way to judge a book by its cover (err..., get an idea of who they are by what they read)
  • A lot of people read multiple books at the same time - I'm surprised how many people show two books they are reading at a time.  I'm more of a one-book-at-a-time man.
  • Planning ahead - I noticed a lot of people have one or two books on their 'To Be Read' list.  I usually don't know what I'm going to read next until I finish the book I'm on.
  • Interesting looking at people's reading order - It is kind of neat seeing the order some folks read books.  I noticed one person read like eight Ed McBain books in a row, while others seem to read romance stuff, some a mix of genres, etc.

Thank you! That check-box suggestion is a good one, and one I hadn't considered. It would be very doable compared to the alternative of having variable-length boxes in the Reading Bar, that depend on how many are in each list.

In fact - now that I think about this a bit - the easiest way to implement it would be to offer an alternative Reading Bar choice that just shows 2 books for Reading Now, and 6 books for Recently Read. (i.e. omitting the To Be Read part of the bar).

I also hear some of the other comments about having 1 versus 2 books in the Reading Now part of it. I suppose we could have a 1-book and a 2-book option for the Reading Now part of it. I need to weigh that against the downside of having *too* many options that tend to be overwhelming. I know I get paralyzed when I have too many choices!!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »

I am usually a strict one book at a time man, but paused reading one book to grab something inspired by current events.  Of course, then I got distracted from reading for awhile!

Atunah, I've not had a problem seeing your book covers.  Early on I remember some covers from lots of people, including my own bar, not showing up, but that apparently was just a temporary glitch.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
. I need to weigh that against the downside of having *too* many options that tend to be overwhelming. I know I get paralyzed when I have too many choices!!

A good thought.  I think the idea of using the current bar, with an option of doing just two current and two recent books is a good idea.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »
I'm planning on using the what I am reading thread to comment on the books I have in my Sig.

Yeah - on second thought - I will still read and post there too since I enjoy reading everyone's opinions on what they read.. 

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
Ooh, a new Robert Crais book!  Okay, so this cool new tool is getting expensive...   ;D

Not to encourage spending - but my BFF is recommending this book to everyone she knows.  Its partly about a german shepherd.

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
I hope to do my reading bar soon. I read way too many books at the same time. Some books I read to study & learn something. Others are just for fun, like fiction. I do complete reading all the books, so listing only 1 or 2 books in the currently reading would not work for me. Even in the Klubs section here for The Book Count, I end up just posting what I finished reading. I tried to scale back, but a book just grabs me & I just have to start reading it.  :P

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
I hope to do my reading bar soon. I read way too many books at the same time. Some books I read to study & learn something. Others are just for fun, like fiction. I do complete reading all the books, so listing only 1 or 2 books in the currently reading would not work for me. Even in the Klubs section here for The Book Count, I end up just posting what I finished reading. I tried to scale back, but a book just grabs me & I just have to start reading it.  :P

Sounds like the reading bar version that's only "recently read" is the one for you, Toby!

Betsy

Offline chilady1

• Devourer of Books
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:50 AM »
I am usually a strict one book at a time man, but paused reading one book to grab something inspired by current events.  Of course, then I got distracted from reading for awhile!

I'm with you Hooded Claw - I have tried to read multiple books at one time and it just doesn't work for me.  I keep getting the books confused so I decided one at a time from now on.
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.  ~Richard Steele, Tatler, 1710

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac