Author Topic: Create your Reading Page, and a forum Reading Bar  (Read 37851 times)  

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
Re: New feature: get your Reading Page, and a forum Reading Bar
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »
This is really fun.  Thanks Harvey and mods..

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
How is Crossing the Heart of Africa, Seamonkey?  It looks good and at $2.99 could be an impulse buy for me.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
The paler yellow does look better for the 'reading next' section, especially if there's a gap.

I'll still probably keep it randomly filled though, even though I actually have no idea which one of my TBRs I'll be in the mood to read next until I actually start it. As Betsy said, I reserve the right to be flexible about that!

"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »
In response to your suggestions, we've added an enhancement to the setup page.

Beside each item in the "Reading Now" list, there's a small button labeled "M". If you click that button, the book gets moved to the Recently Read list. (Don't forget to press the Save Changes button after you've finished moving the ASINs around.)

Thanks for the great suggestion!
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
How is Crossing the Heart of Africa, Seamonkey?  It looks good and at $2.99 could be an impulse buy for me.

Betsy

Betsy, I'm enjoying it.. he flips from the history of the trip he is attempting to duplicate, to his own trip and life.  Definitely worth $2.99.

When I was clicking on those books,  I noted several at higher prices and was happy I had snagged them when they were down..   (Breaking Night, The Rose Hotel and Until Tuesday)  Also cheated in that Slave was a dead tree book I read just prior to bookcrossing it..  I've released something like 43 books in the wild recently, with more to go.. just making room.. and some were unread, but some I'm reading first.  Slave then led me to Freedom.  Freedom was less developed but at least brought the reader more up to date.

I've already bought one book, just from the few sig lines I've seen.

Harvey, if this thread isn't mentioned in Fire Talk, it might be a good thing since some people stay there for the most part, especially if they have only had Fires.  But they still read books.     

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »
Make that three books bought, and one of those has a sequel for pre-order, but I'll see if the first book is as good as it sounds

Offline chilady1

• Devourer of Books
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »
I am soooo enjoying looking at other people's books.  Love the covers in yours, chilady!

Betsy

Your welcome Betsy - this series has been on my TBR for a long time!  So far, very good.
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.  ~Richard Steele, Tatler, 1710

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2013, 07:54:17 PM »
We've enhanced the Reading Bars to provide three different options for your forum signature.

This one doesn't show Reading or Reading Next books; it only shows Recently Read books:

And, for those of you with busy signatures, you may want to use this small version that just shows one book under the Reading Now list:

Both are available from your setup page. You'll have to click the Save Changes button to generate the additional signature options.

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
  • Bookaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:59 PM »
Very nicely done!   It's always curious to see what other people are reading.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
Wow that was fast Harvey. Great options now.

I too have clicked on a bunch of bars already. Its just what I need, more books to add to my lists.  :D

eta: And I finally got my goodreads logo on the right hand side. I been trying to do that all evening. It just that I have had the table code in my siggy for so long, it took a while to put it back together in my head.  :D

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:50:11 PM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »
And of course, even the one cover version, when clicked takes you to your full reading page.  Too cool, Harvey!

Betsy

Offline kinbr

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »
Really appreciate the new options, Harvey!  Thanks!

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
  • Flight #1623
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2013, 01:45:11 AM »
Ooh, love the new options!  I average a book a day, much easier to make a blanket "read recently" one then to try to keep the other updated.

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2013, 04:37:37 AM »
Wow that was fast Harvey. Great options now.

I too have clicked on a bunch of bars already. Its just what I need, more books to add to my lists.  :D

eta: And I finally got my goodreads logo on the right hand side. I been trying to do that all evening. It just that I have had the table code in my siggy for so long, it took a while to put it back together in my head.  :D

Suggestion for those trying to modify your page and having trouble 'seeing it' through the code.

Go to your profile and copy the code.  Then go down to the Forum Decorum area and paste it as a new post in this thread.

You'll be able to see how it looks. . . move things around . . . use preview to figure things out. . .and then, when you are more or less satisfied, copy the NEW version and paste it back into your profile.  Makes it much easier to figure out what you're looking at! :o :D

Oh and. . . if you're still having trouble. . . I'll just note that Betsy helped me with mine. ::)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:24:55 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:49 AM »
I didn't read through all 4 pages of responses and this may have already been asked but ... would it be possible to put a button or a link to the Reading Page in the personal section at the top so I don't have to keep opening this thread to find the link?
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2013, 05:03:58 AM »
I didn't read through all 4 pages of responses and this may have already been asked but ... would it be possible to put a button or a link to the Reading Page in the personal section at the top so I don't have to keep opening this thread to find the link?

Once you HAVE a reading page, you can always click the link in your own signature to go to your page and update it.  Or anyone else's. 

For example, if I click YOUR bar, it takes me to YOUR page, but if I click [set up] from there, it takes me to MY set up page.  If I click the (Make your own reading bar) link, which most of us have, it takes me directly to my reading page -- if I've not set it up, it'll be blank, but there is, again, a [set up] link.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 05:21:19 AM »
Testing...

Yay! Thanks, Harvey for the nifty new options!  ;D

I just moved my "Currently Reading" book down to the "Recently Read" section. However, I didn't really read it. I got about 1/3 of the way and got so annoyed with the editing issues and repetitive stuff (like dialogue repeated word for word), that I actually asked for a refund, mainly because it was $5.99.

I don't generally return books. In fact, I think I've only returned one other book in the 4 years I've owned my Kindle.  :D But $5.99 is pretty steep for a book where the editor didn't know what a dangling participle was. "Squeezing the trigger, the bullet flew..."  Yeah, that's a nifty new gun of the future where the bullets pull the triggers.  :P The book was FILLED with those types of sentences.

I really don't mind a few errors here and there. Heck, I'd read a book that had up to two to three per chapter, and that would just be the two or three I caught while reading for pleasure (meaning while I'm trying to ignore errors.  :D )

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should remove it from my page altogether or just leave it and hope someone asks me about it prior to purchasing. LOL I'd hate to lead someone to purchasing a book with bad editing.

Or on our Reading Pages, could we have "Recommend" and "Do Not Recommend" buttons?

Ah, I bet that would be too controversial, huh?

And I'm probably way overthinking this whole thing.  :D ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:42:08 AM by Lynn McNamee »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2013, 05:48:08 AM »
When we were first kicking this around, we mods were thinking of a comments field or star ratings, however the programming on that would be a lot more complicated.  I don't know if Harvey has decided that would be out of the realm of possibilities, but it doesn't hurt to ask for stuff!
 ;D

Glad you're having fun with it, Lynn!

Betsy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2013, 05:59:06 AM »
When we were first kicking this around, we mods were thinking of a comments field or star ratings, however the programming on that would be a lot more complicated.  I don't know if Harvey has decided that would be out of the realm of possibilities, but it doesn't hurt to ask for stuff!
 ;D

Glad you're having fun with it, Lynn!

Betsy

Yeah, and there's the whole issue of, if the author is a member and you don't like it and you put that you don't recommend it. . .how might that make a person feel.  Now, arguably, that's not the reader's problem. . . .otoh, I'd say there's no real need for such a thing. . . :-\

I say if someone asks me about one of the books in my bar, I'll tell them honestly. . . . and I'll probably still use the 'So what are you reading' thread to make brief comments, whether pro or con, as I have been doing. 

And, by the way, if I keep up with my reading page, it'll make it that much easier to post in that thread as well! :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2013, 06:53:36 AM »

HappyGuy,

It's not a forum software function, so I don't think it can be programmed into the personal section (by which I think you mean where your avatar pic and "show unread posts since last visit" are?)  But there possibly could be a link up in the grey menu area, though that's kind of crowded.  Harvey will let us know.

At any rate, in addition to what Ann mentioned which are probably the quickest ways in most cases, you can go to Profile and click on the signature bar shown on your main profile page...or make a bookmark to the link using your browser's functions.  In case you just want to log into KB and add a book without going into any threads.

Betsy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:16:55 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2013, 08:22:55 AM »
Testing...

Yay! Thanks, Harvey for the nifty new options!  ;D
Anyway, I'm wondering if I should remove it from my page altogether or just leave it and hope someone asks me about it prior to purchasing. LOL I'd hate to lead someone to purchasing a book with bad editing.

Thanks, Lynn! Yes, we have considered expanding this to include a star rating or a comments field or something similar, and something like that might be part of a future release for it. It does get complicated so I need to sort out how to best implement that kind of feature. Thanks for the great feedback.

I'll look into this - thank you. In the meantime I may just add it into the forum headers so the link is more convenient to find.

Appreciate all the comments and feedback! You all are helping to make this a better feature for our boards.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »
I seem to have some issues adding books to the reading page. It seems like everytime I save changes, a different set of books goes away. The number stays in the field, but instead of the book title, all that shows is "by".
This is where I enter my stuff. Then when I look at the actual reading page, it doesn't show all the books I have added.
First I thought I added to many to the recently read, but I am doing only 2 rows and I have seen other folks pages with 3 rows of recently read. So that cannot be it. I still have plenty of empty slots.
So sometimes 2 of the currently reading show, then 3, or 2 in my reading next show one moment, then after the next save, it shows 4, etc.

I can't seem to get all the ones I added to show.

Is there a delay? Or is the system just overloaded?

eta: Now I even have gaps in the bar in my posts. I have 3 reading now, 14 in recently read and 5 in reading next filled in. But they just keep disappearing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:56:03 AM by Atunah »

Offline booklover888

• Near Loretto, PA
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
I seem to have some issues adding books to the reading page. It seems like everytime I save changes, a different set of books goes away. The number stays in the field, but instead of the book title, all that shows is "by".
This is where I enter my stuff. Then when I look at the actual reading page, it doesn't show all the books I have added.
First I thought I added to many to the recently read, but I am doing only 2 rows and I have seen other folks pages with 3 rows of recently read. So that cannot be it. I still have plenty of empty slots.
So sometimes 2 of the currently reading show, then 3, or 2 in my reading next show one moment, then after the next save, it shows 4, etc.

I can't seem to get all the ones I added to show.

Is there a delay? Or is the system just overloaded?

eta: Now I even have gaps in the bar in my posts. I have 3 reading now, 14 in recently read and 5 in reading next filled in. But they just keep disappearing.

Same here. My books disappeared from my siggy, also.

My Devices - Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 6, Nexus 7.2, Kobo Glo & Glo HD

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
I thinks we broke it.  :D :P

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
Y'all loved it to death!  ;D

OK, here's what happens, as I understand it.  When you "Save changes" to your ASIN listing, the page goes to Amazon and fetches the necessary information to populate the page and create the images for the sig bars.

From what Harvey has said elsewhere, there is a limit to the number of "calls" that can be made in a short period to Amazon's database; he built in a bit of a delay but is thinking of increasing that.  (I'm not entirely sure what that means, but he does.  :D)

I think, right now, a lot of people are creating the reading pages and adding books.  That will slow down over time, requiring fewer calls to the Amazon db.  On the other hand, more people will have reading pages. 

My short answer: Harvey will figger it out.
 :D

Try saving changes again or refreshing the page....but also keep an eye here for more news...

Betsy