Kindle Forum banner

WiFi symbol shows an "X" on kindle fire.

40K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jacksoncooper 
#1 ·
I'm sure you guys have heard this one a million times. I'm sorry!

My mom's kindle fire shows an "X" under the wifi symbol. I have done HOURS of researching and tried EVERY possible solution and that stupid "x" still shows up! I understand what it means but I can't fix it!

The router and the Kindle fire are up to date.
I have reset the router and the kindle. Together and separately.
I have done a hard reset on the Kindle.
I have changed the security settings for the router. All that stuff.
I've chatted with the Amazon Help people and they are useless.
I'm sure I have tried other things, but I can't remember them.. I'm pretty frustrated.

Are there any other suggestions? Are there any ways around it? Can I connect the kindle to the internet through the cable? An App?

#3 ·
To be extremely specific about the things you've tried -- probably most of this, but, on the off chance. . .  .

On the fire: toggle wifi off and then on.
'forget' the network, and then re-enter it
If it doesn't find it on it's own, you may have to manually enter it -- especially if, for instance, the network name isn't broadcast.
With wifi ON, turn OFF the kindle and then turn on again.

Unplug router. Plug it in again.
Check password for typos (lower case 'L' and the number '1' mixed up, or letter 'O' and '0' (zero))

Our 'resident expert' Morf will no doubt be along after a bit, but it is possible the router is not compatible.  Yes, it should be, but others have had similar problems as well, especially if the router in question is fairly old and/or an 'off' brand.

You can definitely transfer content via a home computer, but can't connect to the internet on the Fire through a computer.  And you will need to connect at least once to complete registration.  Might be easiest to go find a public hotspot and do that there. Unless you're in an extremely rural area you should be able to find some eating establishment where you can get a coffee or something and use their wifi for a half hour. :)

#7 ·
Following the steps mentioned below in order to fix the error kindle won't connect to wifi:
  1. Disconnect Your Device: sometimes our device is connected to other devices also. So disconnect all the other connected devices and reconnect it again with your kindle.
  2. Remove The Barriers: If there are any barriers between the kindle and the router then remove it immediately.
  3. Update The Device: If there were any pending updates then kindly update your device in order to solve the kindle won't connect to wifi error.
  4. Restart The Device: there were some internal issues because of which our device starts misbehaving. So restart your kindle once and check whether the error is solved or not.

Hopefully, these steps would be helpful to you. If you are still facing the same error, then the error must be advance and you need official experts help. They will solve your error immediately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.