Author Topic: Nook Press is the surprise  (Read 34637 times)  

Offline leightmoore

• View Profile
    • That's Write
Re: Nook Press is the surprise
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
Dear Nook Team,

You really should have talked to some authors before you put this thing together.

It's never too late.  We remain at your disposal.

Signed,
Indies at KB.

Actually, an author friend of mine DID beta test this for them a few months ago. I'm pretty sure from our conversation about it she was NOT informed that this would be replacing Pubit, and I think her feedback to them was, "This is nice. I don't really understand *why* we need it..." Just FWIW~

My main concern is this part about the not being able to change books once they're up--is there any way to do a mass-protest of this change? #onlyhalfkidding

I, too, update back matter/add chapters from new releases/update links periodically. At the same time, my B&N sales are pretty decent, so I like the idea of them helping more w/marketing... I guess I'm =  :-\

Offline Kwalker

• Virginia, USA
    • View Profile
    • www.kellywalker.net
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
Being able to read full ebooks while in stores is nothing new.

I do sort of wonder - will books being distributed through Draft2Digital or Smashwords be under these same terms?

Also, I wonder if our previously published titles are held to these same clauses (meaning if we published months ago on pubit, but we link our accounts, but not republish)

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
So with all the above, is there a reason why an author would want to sign up?

- working on manuscript on THEIR platform - not an incentive
- not being able to update backmatter, fix typos etc - dealbreaker
- allowing readers to copy and share as they wish- dealbreaker

Let's hope Amazon doesn't get any crazy ideas from this.
        NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline KOwrites

• Seattle
  • Writer | Dark, angsty love stuff
    • View Profile
    • Writer | Dark angsty love stuff - New Adult / Contemporary Romance
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
I like the new look a lot. They seem to have put a lot of thought into the design and operation, which is a good sign for Nook.

The fact that they've changed the name from PubIt to Nook Press intrigues me. The new name is an improvement, but I wonder if there isn't some behind-the-scenes restructuring going on to clearly separate Nook Press from B&N.

I think this is exactly why they set this up; it's part of their restructuring/spin-off process. They can't just strip stuff directly from B & N. I want to look at the contract terms, too.

Writer  |  Dark, angsty love stuff (I mean, stories)
Katherine Owen | Website | Facebook | Tumblr Blog | Website 2 | Twitter

Offline GMSkarka

• Lawrence, KS
  • Writer, Game Designer, Insurgent Creative.
    • View Profile
    • The Designer Monologues
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 10:07:37 AM »
Part of me suspects that this was almost entirely driven by somebody at Barnes & Noble finally realizing just how ridiculous "PubIt" looks as a name.

:D

Gareth-Michael Skarka | author website | twitter | google+

Online Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
So Amazon buys Goodreads and B&N responds with a web redesign and some questionable legalese?  

Yeah that ought to level the playing field.  :-\

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline KristenDaRay

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »
So with all the above, is there a reason why an author would want to sign up?

If you are already signed up through pubit- EVENTUALLY you won't have a choice. they said that within a few months they will slowly wash away pubit to where the new site is the main site. If you never swap, you will lose everything off pubit- I'm assuming and you will have to re upload. I'm sure they will give warning before that happens and they did say few months.

There has been talk of B&N spliting from Nook, and I am sure that this is one of the steps to make that happen.
Buy My Books Today
Kristen DaRay | blog | facebook | goodreads

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »

- not being able to update backmatter, fix typos etc - dealbreaker
- allowing readers to copy and share as they wish- dealbreaker

I had 3 of my 6 books up through PubIt (the others were distributed by SW), before recently switching them all over to D2D. Given the above, I'm glad I did that, since PubIt will obviously be made obsolete eventually.

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • Terrence OBrien
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »
"OMG.  Did you see the clause that allows B*N to allow customers to read 100% of your book inside their store using a wireless connection?  BE AWARE.  You'll be giving all of your books away for free with this little clause, if someone wants to sit there and read them."

I think this has been a feature since the Nook was introduced. It limits any user in the store to one hour of free reading per day. I tried it once. Works pretty well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:32:22 AM by Terrence OBrien »
When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
For UK Readers At Amazon UK
For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
If you never swap, you will lose everything off pubit

I wonder if this is a way to clean up the old junk that sells one copy every six months?

In any case, if you really can't update books, it's a deal killer for the platform.

Offline Heather Walsh

• Brookline, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
If not, this is potentially a deal-breaker for all of us: the ability to maintain easy control over our book files (adjusting our in-book marketing material every time we publish something new, for instance) is one of the great advantages of self-publishing.

Exactly. I predict they will change this, it's such a misstep.

Offline Joe Vasicek

• Anywhere but Earth
  • May all your dreams come true, save one
    • View Profile
    • One Thousand and One Parsecs
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
I wonder if this new platform has anything to do with the delays in getting one of my new SW distributed books to go up on Barnes & Noble?

Offline swolf

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »
Our booksellers are currently hand-selecting titles for a new merchandising program: NOOK Press Presents -- Our Top 100 Picks for Summer. NOOK Press Presents will be an ongoing merchandising channel for independently published content that comes to NOOK through NOOK Press.

Once you moved your existing PubIt! account to NOOK Press your titles will be considered for this program, which will promote books across the NOOK ecosystem.

That leaves out erotica, the red-headed (but profitable) stepchild of publishing.

Offline SunHi Mistwalker

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Sunhi Mistwalker's Blog
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
Wow, just found this:

Barnes & Noble says that self-published titles now represent 25 percent of Nook ebook sales every month, and thirty percent of Nook customers purchase self-published content each month. The company wouldnt share exact user numbers, but said tens of thousands of authors and publishers use PubIt!, publishing hundreds of thousands of books.
http://paidcontent.org/2013/04/09/bn-rebrands-pubit-as-nook-press-and-adds-new-features-to-make-self-publishing-easier/

I didn't know indie titles made up so much of B&N's revenue! It seems smart to make it easier for more indies (internationally located too) upload to Nook Press. But I don't this new version of their platform is really anything groundbreaking. I mean it's a better design, but other than that...meh. 

Take the indie writer demographics survey. http://ow.ly/pLXEv Be Counted!
Website: www.sunhimistwalker.com Available everywhere ebooks are sold.

Offline Seanathin23

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
Looks like we have killed the site, and I wanted to play with it some more before work. Oh well.

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »

That leaves out erotica, the red-headed (but profitable) stepchild of publishing.

I resemble that remark!

Not about the erotica, but the whole red-headed thing. Why does the stepchild always have to be a redhead?

;)

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• Susan Kaye Quinn, speculative fiction author
    • View Profile
    • Susan Kaye Quinn, Author
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »
"NOTE: Currently, once a Project is On Sale as a NOOK Book, a replacement manuscript file cannot be uploaded and changes cannot be made to the Manuscript in the Manuscript Editor, even if the Project is Off Sale. To make changes to a Manuscript that you have already put on sale, you will need to download the ePub file, create a new Project, and upload it as a Manuscript File. You will also need to provide your NOOK Book Details again in the new Project."

Maybe changes can't be made when you're using their Manuscript Editor? But not for normal uploads/files? A friend just transferred over and it seems to be allowing her to update...
Susan Kaye Quinn, SF author www.susankayequinn.com
See the live-action trailer for the Mindjack Trilogy, my future-noir Debt Collector serial trailer, and the trailer for my MG fantasy novel Faery Swap.

Offline AnitaDobs

• View Profile
    • My Amazon Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »

K.  Retail Store Privileges.  You acknowledge and agree that Barnes & Noble may make available to customers of retail stores operated by Barnes & Noble, its affiliates, distributors, licensees and partners one hundred percent (100%) of your eBook for viewing while within the reach of such retail stores wireless networks.

I think it's time for me to get a place directly above a B&N store. All those lovely books within wi-fi range.

Offline AnitaDobs

• View Profile
    • My Amazon Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
I wonder if this new platform has anything to do with the delays in getting one of my new SW distributed books to go up on Barnes & Noble?

Na, that's just Smashwords special service.

The last D2D I uploaded I did today took about 6 hours to hit B&N... and that's smut.

Offline scottmarlowe

• Rockwall, TX
    • View Profile
    • scottmarlowe.com
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
Maybe changes can't be made when you're using their Manuscript Editor? But not for normal uploads/files? A friend just transferred over and it seems to be allowing her to update...

I was able to make changes to my book's "Book Details", but I don't see any way to upload/replace the EPUB file.

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
  • Relentlessly Patient
    • View Profile
    • Fiction For Every Reader
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
But did anyone catch that you will no longer be able to upload updated versions of your book? Once the file is uploaded, it can't be changed, ever - you would have to republish it as a new project. Not that I edit my books after I publish them, but I do change my back matter on occasion. This part of the change is making me consider switching from direct distribution to Smashwords distribution for B&N.

1) That's craziness, if that's the case.
2) Smashwords would probably have to deal with said craziness too.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline Danni

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »
I resemble that remark!

Not about the erotica, but the whole red-headed thing. Why does the stepchild always have to be a redhead?

;)

It's a tagline on my Facebook page "About me". Eventually, you just have to embrace your genetic mutations.

Offline Michael Coorlim

• Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Michael Coorlim's Website
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »
From the nook press support help pages:

Once you have started working on your Manuscript, the Manuscript page will offer you the following options:

Edit Manuscript: Click here to access the Manuscript Editor.

Replace Manuscript: Click here to upload a new manuscript file and replace your current Manuscript. Remember, uploading a new manuscript file will delete all existing content from your current Manuscript!

Invite Collaborators: Click here to access your Collaborators page. Here, you will be able to see your current Collaborators, invite new Collaborators, and view your pending invitations.

So it's probably just not implemented yet.

Offline swolf

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »
I resemble that remark!

;)

;D ;D ;D

Because it's only the red-headed stepchildren who are mistreated.    :P

Funny story:

Here in Pittsburgh for the Penguins, our NHL hockey team, we have an TV and radio play-by-play guy named Mike Lange.  He's famous for his funny sayings when someone scores a goal, like "Scratch my back with a hacksaw," or "He's smiling like a butcher's dog."

One time he tried out a new one:  "He beat him like a red-headed stepchild."

I guess people complained, because the next time he used it, he changed it to, "He beat him like a rented mule."  It's been that way ever since.

On the other hand, how do you know you've satisfied a redhead?

She unties you.

Offline Rykymus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
This just confirms one thing for me. I am glad I never bothered with B&N.