Kindle Forum banner

Nook Press is the surprise

39K views 259 replies 101 participants last post by  Michael Kingswood 
#1 ·
Dear Publisher,

Over the past two and a half years, our working partnership has made PubIt! a resounding success. Because of PubIt! publishers like you, we've been able to offer millions of NOOK® customers exciting new content from independent authors.

Our success is your success, and we've been working hard to bring you a platform that takes our partnership-and self-publishing-to the next level. Today, we're pleased to introduce to you NOOK Press, our new and improved self-publishing platform!

NOOK Press is self-publishing made simple. With the NOOK Press platform you can write, edit, collaborate, publish and sell your eBooks all in one place-at no cost.

The NOOK Press platform features these exciting new tools and services:

NEW! One-stop Publishing Solution: Write, edit, format and publish your eBooks in our web-based platform, instantly reaching millions of NOOK customers within 72 hours.
NEW! Easy ePub Creation and Editing: Upload your manuscript file and make changes directly in NOOK Press. Editing and previewing in one session saves you time and effort.
NEW! Integrated Collaboration: Collaborate with editors, copyeditors, and friends, allowing them to review and comment on your manuscript without ever leaving NOOK Press.
Visual Sales Reporting: Our new visually-enhanced sales report makes tracking your sales progress even easier.
NEW! Instant Chat: Live Chat customer service is now available to quickly answer your questions Monday through Friday between 9am-9pm EST.
Pathway to Passionate Readers Everywhere: Publish once and reach millions of customers using NOOK and NOOK Reading Apps in the US and UK and more coming soon.
Same Great Terms: Our favorable PubIt! business terms and commitment to a transparent retail partnership remain unchanged.

NOOK Press Presents
Our booksellers are currently hand-selecting titles for a new merchandising program: NOOK Press Presents -- Our Top 100 Picks for Summer. NOOK Press Presents will be an ongoing merchandising channel for independently published content that comes to NOOK through NOOK Press.

Once you moved your existing PubIt! account to NOOK Press your titles will be considered for this program, which will promote books across the NOOK ecosystem.

Get started with NOOK Press today! Click here to be guided through a quick, one-time account syncing process. Once completed your PubIt! account, sales, payment, and title information will automatically appear in NOOK Press. To find out more about the changeover to NOOK Press, see our support page here.

We're excited to turn the page together on a new chapter in self-publishing!

Sincerely,
The NOOK Press Team
Discuss! :)

ETA:

STILL US ONLY
http://cp-barnesandnoble.kb.net/kb/?ArticleId=4314&source=Article&c=12&cid=28#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4314

#3 ·
Can publishers based outside the U.S. use NOOK Press?

No. At this time, NOOK Press is only available for publishers with a U.S. Bank Account and a U.S. Tax ID that are both tied to a U.S. address.
That's it for my interest, then. :(

#7 ·
Maya Cross said:
My first question is, is it still US only? I can't see anything in that press release about it. I currently go through D2D and their service is wonderful, but I'd consider dealing with it myself for the extra 15% if that was an option.
That's what I want to know... Can I being in the UK, upload direct now? And can I set the price to free?

#8 ·
#9 ·
NOOK Press Presents
Our booksellers are currently hand-selecting titles for a new merchandising program: NOOK Press Presents -- Our Top 100 Picks for Summer. NOOK Press Presents will be an ongoing merchandising channel for independently published content that comes to NOOK through NOOK Press.

Once you moved your existing PubIt! account to NOOK Press your titles will be considered for this program, which will promote books across the NOOK ecosystem.
This^ sounds promising.

#19 ·
It reminds me a lot of the Kobo dashboard, which is not bad. Ha, I like the graphs too.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to write their book inside Nook Press. What I'm concerned about is that this will become another formatting job for each release. Are they still going to accept regular epubs? Are regular ePubs still going to be eligible for the marketing/promo extras they mentioned?

Note this:
NOOK Press Presents
^ Makes it sound like if you don't publish using this new editing tool they've given us, you won't be eligible. I could be reading too much into that though.

ETA: I set up a testing project, and it looks like we'll still be able to upload a regular epub.

#20 ·
What are the downsides, if any? It seems like it's just a new front end? Why do I have to "opt in" to this? I mean, if it's just formatting change, why not make it universal?

#21 ·
It's building on the Nook name for when they spin it off... in order to save it from the sinking ship that is B&N. The only intriguing part is the possible promotion of indie authors and even that is a weak premise. I was hoping for more, but it's essentially their attempt at being KDP.

#22 ·
I like the new look a lot. They seem to have put a lot of thought into the design and operation, which is a good sign for Nook.

The fact that they've changed the name from PubIt to Nook Press intrigues me. The new name is an improvement, but I wonder if there isn't some behind-the-scenes restructuring going on to clearly separate Nook Press from B&N.

#24 ·
I'm entirely underwhelmed. It does look like you can still upload a regular epub file, which is good.

But did anyone catch that you will no longer be able to upload updated versions of your book? Once the file is uploaded, it can't be changed, ever - you would have to republish it as a new project. Not that I edit my books after I publish them, but I do change my back matter on occasion. This part of the change is making me consider switching from direct distribution to Smashwords distribution for B&N.

#25 ·
Zoe Cannon said:
But did anyone catch that you will no longer be able to upload updated versions of your book? Once the file is uploaded, it can't be changed, ever - you would have to republish it as a new project. Not that I edit my books after I publish them, but I do change my back matter on occasion. This part of the change is making me consider switching from direct distribution to Smashwords distribution for B&N.
Wow, I did not notice that :eek: That's absolutely an awful way of managing ebooks (I, too, change my matter occasionally, so this really bites).

#26 ·
OMG.  Did you see the clause that allows B*N to allow customers to read 100% of your book inside their store using a wireless connection?  BE AWARE.  You'll be giving all of your books away for free with this little clause, if someone wants to sit there and read them.

Now that's a big deal.  Can you imagine the people who will be hanging out there now?  Trying to get and keep them in the store, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.