Author Topic: FB Advertising - CPC is 0.14 for box set clicks - now what?  (Read 1411 times)  

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
FB Advertising - CPC is 0.14 for box set clicks - now what?
« on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
Just getting to grips with FB advertising, am waiting for Mark Dawson's paid course to open up so am flying a bit blind at the mo! I've managed to get my CPC to 0.14 for a box-set ad going directly to Amazon and seeing some sales and a high relevancy score. So in order to scale up this ad, should I increase the budget or the audience?
As I said am not quite sure what best course of action is for sales as MD's free course focuses on mailing list sign-ups which seem to have a different ROI.
Grateful for other FB-ad pros' advice!

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Re: FB Advertising - CPC is 0.14 for box set clicks - now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:56:21 AM »
Just getting to grips with FB advertising, am waiting for Mark Dawson's paid course to open up so am flying a bit blind at the mo! I've managed to get my CPC to 0.14 for a box-set ad going directly to Amazon and seeing some sales and a high relevancy score. So in order to scale up this ad, should I increase the budget or the audience?
As I said am not quite sure what best course of action is for sales as MD's free course focuses on mailing list sign-ups which seem to have a different ROI.
Grateful for other FB-ad pros' advice!

Budget, but in really small increments. Say $5.

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »
Cheers for reply Mark, appreciate it. How does increased budget increase effectiveness - is it that FB serve it to more people more often? And if I want to try a different/bigger audience best to start a different ad altogether? Same images/copy etc except to a diff audience

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
Cheers for reply Mark, appreciate it. How does increased budget increase effectiveness - is it that FB serve it to more people more often? And if I want to try a different/bigger audience best to start a different ad altogether? Same images/copy etc except to a diff audience

Increase budget = increase reach per day (more people) Target needs to be as focused as possible on YOUR audience. If you can achieve a million people with a target that fits you, then that would be good. I have audiences as low as 300,000, but I would prefer a million or two :) What you don't want to do is target people who aren't interested in your offer. Paying for more people JUST to get MORE is no good. They have to be the RIGHT people.

If you want to run more than one advert you can. If you want to test different targets, you can change JUST that and send the old advert to new people if you want. I prefer to create new advert SETS with different adverts to the SAME target. That's A/B testing. Once you know the best image and copy to send to that target, ONLY THEN do I increase budget.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:23:32 AM by Mark E. Cooper »

Offline AngelaQuarles

• Mobile, AL
    • View Profile
    • Angela Quarles
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
I used to get horrible CPC rates until I switched tactics. My current ad has a relevancy of 10 and a CPC of .05. I switched to paying for impressions and also to just a photo, no text.

USA Today bestselling author of witty, charming, captivating fiction
Angela Quarles | website

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
I used to get horrible CPC rates until I switched tactics. My current ad has a relevancy of 10 and a CPC of .05. I switched to paying for impressions and also to just a photo, no text.
Is that the best way to reduce the cpc? Mine is about 31 cents at the moment and I have no idea how to bring it down.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Comic Covers

Offline AngelaQuarles

• Mobile, AL
    • View Profile
    • Angela Quarles
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:15:56 AM »
Is that the best way to reduce the cpc? Mine is about 31 cents at the moment and I have no idea how to bring it down.

That's what I found, at least. My CPC used to be that high and thought that was just the way it went and I always chose the Pay per Click option. I just assumed that paying for impressions would mean I'd pay more. Then on another forum some veterans shared what they do and I followed their advice and set up an ad set where I paid for impressions instead, and I did 5 different photos (chosen from their stock) and let it run for $1/day for a couple of days to find out which photo performed the best. Then I killed the other 4 and upped my daily cost on the one and just let it run. This is for a full priced book. It was amazing to see how the same copy fared paired with different photos.

Angela Quarles | website

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
That's what I found, at least. My CPC used to be that high and thought that was just the way it went and I always chose the Pay per Click option. I just assumed that paying for impressions would mean I'd pay more. Then on another forum some veterans shared what they do and I followed their advice and set up an ad set where I paid for impressions instead, and I did 5 different photos (chosen from their stock) and let it run for $1/day for a couple of days to find out which photo performed the best. Then I killed the other 4 and upped my daily cost on the one and just let it run. This is for a full priced book. It was amazing to see how the same copy fared paired with different photos.
Thanks. I'll try that for my boxed set.

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »

Thanks both.

V interesting, as I'd assumed you'd pay through the nose for impressions. Really need to find a Facebook-Ad forum as I can't access the secret FB group 😳

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:03:10 PM »

Are you doing impressions/clicks or just impressions for your selection? (Both exist--the combo is the default, but you can set it to just impressions if I recall correctly).

Offline AngelaQuarles

• Mobile, AL
    • View Profile
    • Angela Quarles
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »
Are you doing impressions/clicks or just impressions for your selection? (Both exist--the combo is the default, but you can set it to just impressions if I recall correctly).

Mine is the combo--just looked to be sure and it says "Link Clicks to Website/Pay per Impressions"

Angela Quarles | website

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
Mine is the combo--just looked to be sure and it says "Link Clicks to Website/Pay per Impressions"

Okay thanks.  That is what I use too.  Thanks.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
Thanks both.

V interesting, as I'd assumed you'd pay through the nose for impressions. Really need to find a Facebook-Ad forum as I can't access the secret FB group 😳
This is the free course. http://www.selfpublishingformula.com/ If you send Mark an email at the end, he will add you to the self publishing group.

Offline Mark Dawson

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Mark Dawson
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »
Yes indeed - you just need to ask. Happy to have you.

Offline JR McLeay

• View Profile
    • JR McLeay
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
Kai,

Can you share how you got your FB CPC down to 14 cents?  I've been experimenting with all kinds of broad vs. specific audience targeting and I'm having a hard time getting my CPC below $1.00!!

Any tips or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 08:55:07 PM »
Kai,

Can you share how you got your FB CPC down to 14 cents?  I've been experimenting with all kinds of broad vs. specific audience targeting and I'm having a hard time getting my CPC below $1.00!!

Thanks.
The last post here is five months old and the word is cpc is more expensive than it was because more people have caught on to FB advertising. Mark would know more about it, but I am happy if mine goes below 60 cents!

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 02:40:57 AM »
Kai,

Thanks.

I have no idea tbh, as I was flying blind at the time and hadn't even taken Mark's course. But have managed ever since to achieve the same average with most of my ads (the ones that I keep at least). I usually pick a big audience (say 2 million) and include just a stock photo relevant to my book instead of the cover, and some 'clickable' sales copy. Hope this helps! 

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 02:42:59 AM »
The last post here is five months old and the word is cpc is more expensive than it was because more people have caught on to FB advertising. Mark would know more about it, but I am happy if mine goes below 60 cents!

I haven't seen that happening. Mine are still holding at anything from .10 to .15 and I kill anything that trends higher than .30. My ads are for romance and thrillers.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 03:03:06 AM »
I haven't seen that happening. Mine are still holding at anything from .10 to .15 and I kill anything that trends higher than .30. My ads are for romance and thrillers.

Just repeating what's been said. To be honest, I get very confused with it all.