by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 8023

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: Sell Loads of Books - My System Spelled Out  (Read 102883 times)  

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
  • I'd be too sexy for my shirt if I wore one
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
Re: How To Sell Loads of Books - My Approach
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2013, 08:28:57 AM »
Susanne: Then it sounds like you just gave  yourself a raise!  :P

Offline Susanne.

• Europe
    • View Profile
    • Susanne
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »
Susanne: Then it sounds like you just gave  yourself a raise!  :P

Hey, you're right! That's the great thing about being your own boss.  :D

Susanne O'Leary | website | blog | facebook | writer's forum

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
Susanne: I don't know about that. Mine's a real pr#ck.  :'(

Offline Susanne.

• Europe
    • View Profile
    • Susanne
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »
Susanne: I don't know about that. Mine's a real pr#ck.  :'(

Mine is sweet but kicks butt really well when needed... ;)

Susanne O'Leary | website | blog | facebook | writer's forum

Offline CAlinda

• southern California
    • View Profile
    • Linda Carroll-Bradd
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »
Russell, thank you for sharing your experience. You are so right that authors need to treat being a writer as a business and use professionals for the covers, editing, etc.

heartwarming romance laced with sass
Linda Carroll-Bradd | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | google+

Offline R.V. Doon

• Alabama
    • View Profile
    • rvdoon.com
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
Russell,

Thank you! You've really dropped some "pearls" throughout this thread.

R.V. Doon | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
Susanne: Here's the report. Should be a mandatory read. http://blog.smashwords.com/2013/05/new-smashwords-survey-helps-authors.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Smashwords+%28Smashwords%29

I have been hemming and hawing about raising the price of my book for a couple weeks now. Especially since my book is the cheap one in comparison...

I just figured those other author's are big names, I am not, so I didn't want to mess with it, but after reading Russell's post and Mark Coker's analysis on book pricing, it's time to give it a try and raise my price. I'll report back on the results.

Offline Darren Wearmouth

• Manchester, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »
I'm a little curious about your price of $1.99, sir.

There are thousands of books at 0.99c, I would say most price at 2.99 after that to get the maximum royalty payments. Your just seems a little odd to me, although I can see you are selling.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »
I'm a little curious about your price of $1.99, sir.

There are thousands of books at 0.99c, I would say most price at 2.99 after that to get the maximum royalty payments. Your just seems a little odd to me, although I can see you are selling.

I've sold over 1,200 books in the past month (including a five day 99cent promo period) which is why I've been hesitant of raising the price. I didn't do an intensive analysis over it. It's my first book and I don't have any other books out yet, so that handcuffs me a bit since I don't have more product to offer.

I was leaning at $0.99 cents, but then that would hamper any type of discount for promotions and I didn't want to go free (I haven't gone free yet). I also took a look at my bottom-line. I would recoup my product costs a lot quicker at $1.99 versus $0.99. As a new author, I wasn't confident to price my first book at $2.99, so I went with $1.99.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:30:51 PM by Alan Petersen »

Offline Darren Wearmouth

• Manchester, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
I've sold over 1,200 books in the past month (including a five day 99cent promo period) which is why I've been hesitant of raising the price. I didn't do an intensive analysis over it. It's my first book and I don't have any other books out yet, so that handcuffs me a bit since I don't have more product to offer.

I was leaning at $0.99 cents, but then that would hamper any type of discount for promotions and I didn't want to go free (I haven't gone free yet). I also took a look at my bottom-line. I would recoup my product costs a lot quicker at $1.99 versus $0.99. As a new author, I wasn't confident to price my first book at $2.99, so I went with $1.99.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Petersen, it makes sense. Good luck with your decision, I can see the predicament.

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
Alan: At $2.99, you can sell 400 books instead of 1200 and you'd be identical, financially speaking. Anything over 400 is therefore gravy.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Alan: At $2.99, you can sell 400 books instead of 1200 and you'd be identical, financially speaking. Anything over 400 is therefore gravy.

I had plugged in some numbers in my spreadsheet, even if the daily sales drop by 50% due to the price increase, I would still make more money at $2.99. I began to think about rankings, if I sell less books I would go down in the rankings and visibility/branding, and that's where I was driving myself nuts, which is why I read with interest how you had to ride it out when you went up to the $6 world. But I am going to try the $2.99 price.

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
Alan: I'd also give it a few weeks at the new price to see what happens. Don't focus on the day to day or you'll get an ulcer.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Alan: I'd also give it a few weeks at the new price to see what happens. Don't focus on the day to day or you'll get an ulcer.

So that's the stomach pain I keep feeling.  ;D  I have gone down to checking my stats to twice a day, so I'm getting there! Thanks for the advice.

Offline Mike Dennis

• Key West
  • From the shadows of Key West
    • View Profile
    • Mike Dennis / noir fiction
« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
MikeD: All you need to do is release a book that starts selling even decently, and you're on it. But you drop off after 30 days. No need to stress how to get on it - if you release and sell some, you're on it. I haven't looked for it for a while, but I can always tell when a new release drops off - goes from #1100 or so to #2900 overnight. So it does get you some visibility. Sort of automatically.

Thanks, Russell. And once again, major props for a great thread and for devoting as much time to it as you have.

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
MikeD: My pleasure.

Offline Just Browsing

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2013, 08:19:10 AM »
You mean, all I have to do to make a living at writing is to work consistently to create something of quality? Kind of like the way you would at any other job?

I knew there was some tricky secret.

Thanks for laying it all out like that. Even if you know that stuff already, in some way, it's great to see it all organized. It's like a little reality primer.

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
1001: Yeah. Who knew?

Offline jdrew

• View Profile
    • Author's website
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Russell,
Good advice all around.  In some ways it reminds me of Heinlein's 5 rules to become a writer, all of which had to do with actually writing.  Now we do the marketing too which can be a good thing if we approach it as you say, like a business. Now to go put some of that advice to use.
Thanks.
J Drew

visit me at  www.jdrewbrumbaugh.com

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
I postponed reading the OP until I had more time to digest it. Today was the day and I was startled to discover 8 full pages that required a big chunk of the afternoon. It was well worth my time though. #21 on the list reminded me of a speaker at a real estate seminar a few years back. He said he used to advise attendees to ask themselves what they were willing to do to achieve their goals. Instead, he now asks attendees what 'they are willing to give up' to achieve their goals. That might be free time, one's comfort zone, choice of working hours, procrastination, whatever. If you're not willing to give up what is blocking your success, there is no point in identifying something you want to do. It just won't fit into the mix. 

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
JDRew: I obviously advocate a clear separation of church and state, if you will, writing being the mystical aspect, the art/craft, and the state being the mundane business of book selling. For me, separating the two makes sense. For others, perhaps not, but I would then ask how that is going for them in terms of selling lots of books.

Sapphire: All of life is a matter of priorities - what you focus on determines what your reality is. I'm big on setting goals that are in line with what you're willing to do/sacrifice. Because otherwise you're confusing yourself with what you dream about, versus what you are willing to invest. Everyone wants 10 for every 1 they put in. Maybe not so many are willing to settle for 10 for every 11 they put in. For some, like me, 10 for 8 isn't a bad deal. Or maybe I should say 10 for 15 isn't a bad deal, if I think I can get 10 for 5 in another two years. Point is there's never a free lunch, and I think too many indies view the whole thing as a possible way to get a free lunch.

Offline FranklinNoble

• Tonopah, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Noble Brown
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
I'm new here.  Haven't published anything.  Yet.

This has been exceptionally informative.  I know I've probably missed where this was discussed in more detail, but I would like to have some idea of how much I should expect to budget for hiring a decent cover artist and editor for my work.  I've no idea what to expect in this regard, and figure I ought to start putting away a little to invest in my work sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »
Franklin: My cover guy runs about $125. You can find cheaper, and more expensive. That's what I pay. Given the results I've gotten, I'm more than satisfied. Editing is a tougher one, because for every good editor, there are twenty offering their services that are lacking in spades. I would consider $500-800 for 100K of well-written third draft fair. For a qualified editor who had done books you can read and which are well done. That would be a comment here or there of story editing, and mostly line by line editing. Expect to pay another $150 for proofing. Budget a grand all in.

Offline FranklinNoble

• Tonopah, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Noble Brown
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2013, 12:18:19 AM »
Franklin: My cover guy runs about $125. You can find cheaper, and more expensive. That's what I pay. Given the results I've gotten, I'm more than satisfied. Editing is a tougher one, because for every good editor, there are twenty offering their services that are lacking in spades. I would consider $500-800 for 100K of well-written third draft fair. For a qualified editor who had done books you can read and which are well done. That would be a comment here or there of story editing, and mostly line by line editing. Expect to pay another $150 for proofing. Budget a grand all in.

Perfect, thanks.  That's about what I hoped - any more than that, and it gets to be an expensive hobby if I don't succeed. 

I don't need to quit my day job, and I've published features and editorials for pay in major newspapers and magazines, so I'm not an absolute neophyte, but fiction is a new frontier for me.  I appreciate the advice.

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »
Franklin: As always, you can email me for his info. He's quite good, fast and reasonable. Most importantly, he creates distinctive covers. He's done every one of mine, so you can browse my backlist for a decent example of how we branded my identity. As to editors, price will vary by what you really need. If you are willing to do 4-6 drafts and pay close attention on the two final polish drafts, and assuming you're a bit of a pedant, you can likely get away with a proofreader and nothing else. But I will say that 90% can't, myself included. And my third draft is pretty close to publish ready, even by trad pug standards. So take that for what it's worth.