Author Topic: Sell Loads of Books - My System Spelled Out  (Read 102363 times)  

Online Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
Re: Sell Loads of Books - My System Spelled Out
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »
Like Evenstar, I would be interested in updates on Russell's strategy.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
In my opinion, Russell's advice is still golden.

Things like...

• Stay off the internet
  • Pick a popular genre
  • write a lot
  • read a lot
  • know your audience

I don't believe that advice would ever stop working.

And you look at thriller writers that came after like Wayne and Mark, they have each published multiple books in popular series in the past 12-24 months. That's why I believe his system and advice is still excellent and very much applicable in 2015/2016.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:29:05 AM by Alan Petersen »

Offline Ghoststorywriter

• UK
  • Wirral Writer
    • View Profile
    • Wirral Writer
« Reply #302 on: October 21, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »
As a self-employed Kindle book author myself, I found your advice excellent and will certainly take all you points on board as I struggle daily to make a living from my writing.

One question: I have taken the step of making one of my true ghost stories books available on other platforms (e.g. KOBO), as I have become very disappointed with the new paid-by-page-read that Amazon has introduced into their Select programme. Do you think this is wise move?
Ghoststorywriter
www.wirralwriter.co.uk

Offline rcasey

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
I honestly think the vast majority of Russell's advice is timeless.

Pick a market.
Write a series in that market.
Release frequently.
Put a first book as a loss leader when you have a few titles.
Treat it like a business.

I don't see that advice ever getting old.

• Ontario, Canada
  • I should probably be writing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 06, 2016, 06:22:15 AM »
I saw some people referencing this post in a few different threads, but they couldn't find it so here ya go.

An oldie, but a goodie.

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »
Thank you for finding this and bringing it to the top. Some great advice here.  I said in another thread, i've been listening to a couple of Russell's podcast interviews and they were so informative.
I interviewed Russell for my "Meet the Thriller Author" podcast: http://get.thrillingreads.com/mtta-18-russell-blake-interview/

Just a shameless plug for the podcast, but he provided awesome advice (as he always does).

Offline dbrbarton

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2016, 10:55:08 PM »
Russell - I think every newbie author should read this before putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).  If I hear one more person say that "for $297, I guarantee to make your book a Bestseller", I am going to puke.  Someone needs to be teaching new writers how to sustain a business and sell books, period.  Getting to Bestseller isn't even that remarkable these days, and can actually be done fairly easily - depending on the category you select. 

I consider myself still a newbie, as I have only been writing for a year and just launched my second book (non-fic) - only because of family issues last year and I still work full-time.  This year I plan on writing at least 3 more books and one will be the beginning of a fiction series.  I partnered up with another author and will be contributing to an anthology next month. 

Most new authors come into the business believing all the hype of making $3K/ mo within 30-60 days.  Then when that doesn't happen, they are off following the next shiny object instead of putting their butts in the chair and just write.  Write.  And write some more.  It's hard work, but most people just don't want to put forth that much effort.  They forget that those "overnight successes" took years of hard work.

Thanks for posting this and reminding us all of why we are here.  We are writers and we love our craft.

Offline CeeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2016, 12:28:17 AM »
I have only been writing for a year and just launched my second book (non-fic) - only because of family issues last year and I still work full-time.  This year I plan on writing at least 3 more books and one will be the beginning of a fiction series.  I partnered up with another author and will be contributing to an anthology next month. 

Working full time and releasing 2 books with a plan for 3 more is no small feat! :)

Anyone watch the trainer Dolvett in The Biggest Loser?  Sometimes I hear his voice screaming question/response drills when I'm thinking about my writing:  "HARD WORK!  (DEDICATION!)  HARD WORK!  (DEDICATION!)"  lol.

Offline martyns

• United Kingdom
  • Author of the 'Deathsworn Arc'
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads Author Page
« Reply #308 on: March 07, 2016, 02:21:45 AM »
Brilliant post. Everyone should re-read this every once in a while. It's largely stuff we know, but we choose to forget because it's reality and reality is hard-work.

I think we all need a little reality check every now and then. Maisie Williams went from not being an Actress to being a household name quicker than you could say 'Game of Thrones' but copying her path isn't a strategy for breaking into acting.

The same is true of writing. JK Rowling's path isn't going to happen for anyone else. She didn't have a strategy, she wrote a kick-ass book and was lucky that things fell into place for her.

Most of us are not going to be 'in the right place, at the right time', we can't afford to rely on dreams and luck. If want to work from home, and earn enough to quit whatever else you do, 99.99% of us are going to need imagination, talent, a strategy, a lot of hard work. Even then it isn't guaranteed to happen, but it exponentially increases the odds!

Book 1 of the Deathsworn Arc 'Deathsworn Arc: The Last Dragon Slayer' is FREE to download!
Martyn Stanley | Website | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter | Amazon | Google+ | WattPad