KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Standing or Treadmill Desk - Anybody Tried One of These?  (Read 8680 times)  

Offline fallswriter

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Standing or Treadmill Desk - Anybody Tried One of These?
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
So I'm now recovered from a back injury that had me unable to sit or lay down for long periods of time. I've been researching ways to avoid stressing my back as well as be a little healthier. I saw a few videos about treadmill desks and was intrigued. I wanted to know if anybody here in WC has tried one or even a standing desk, and if you liked it? I know it may be a weird question, but I don't ever want to lose 10 days of productivity.

This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.~Neil Gaiman

Offline TexasGirl

• View Profile
Re: Standing or Treadmill Desk - Anybody Tried One of These?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
There was a huge thread here about it in Jan/Feb. We have at least a dozen KBers using treadmill desks. It'll be interesting to see who reports back in.

I still use mine, but with spring being so pretty, I've been running outside rather than treadmilling. Now that the temps are over 90 again, I'll get back to it. I'm on it about three hours a day and LOVE it. I use it mainly as my social media time, but I do write on it too.

Offline pjmartin

• Spain (Physically) - USA (in the heart)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
I've heard that you cannot work mind and body at the same time, as the brain uses most of the energy we eat. When you exercise the brain is receiving less energy than what it would need when thinking hard (so to speak). So if you, for example, tried to study while you exercised, you would most probably be wasting your time, or at least you would not be doing as good as when not exercising.

So based on this (which in an odd way sounds logical), I would not advise anyone to buy a treadmill desk. A standing desk, YES, a treadmill desk, NO.

At least that's my humble opinion.

Paul J. Martin | Blog | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
There was a huge thread here about it in Jan/Feb. We have at least a dozen KBers using treadmill desks. It'll be interesting to see who reports back in.

I still use mine, but with spring being so pretty, I've been running outside rather than treadmilling. Now that the temps are over 90 again, I'll get back to it. I'm on it about three hours a day and LOVE it. I use it mainly as my social media time, but I do write on it too.
I have a pedestal (standing) desk but still no treadmill for it. Really want one but having found one that would fit quite right.

I use the pedestal desk for about an hour a day. It's where my laptop is and then I switch to the desktop on my regular desk. It does seem to help my back.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline TexasGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
I've heard that you cannot work mind and body at the same time, as the brain uses most of the energy we eat. When you exercise the brain is receiving less energy than what it would need when thinking hard (so to speak). So if you, for example, tried to study while you exercised, you would most probably be wasting your time, or at least you would not be doing as good as when not exercising.

So based on this (which in an odd way sounds logical), I would not advise anyone to buy a treadmill desk. A standing desk, YES, a treadmill desk, NO.

At least that's my humble opinion.

Actually, those of us using it found our writing output increases dramatically. I write about 30% more words per hour on the treadmill desk than I do sitting. This was a common comment on the old thread, which if I weren't so lazy, I would dig up.

Treadmill desking is actually a pretty big trend and has been the source of weight loss for tons of people who became full time writers only to realize they were putting on pounds at the new occupation. You walk a very slow pace for long periods -- about 2 mph. I burn about 500 calories a day doing it and feel so much better.

I actually can't see any downside whatsoever other than the desks tend to be rather large.

Offline pjmartin

• Spain (Physically) - USA (in the heart)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
As I said, TexasGirl, I Heard

But I'm no doctor, I'm a writer  :P

Anyway, it's good to know that works and helps others. Not now, but someday I might think about getting me one of those.  8)

Paul J. Martin | Blog | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
This thread is triggering my guilt.

My husband uses tread-puter about once a week and quite likes it.

I forget where the button is to turn it on. Maybe tomorrow.

Offline blakebooks

• Mexico
  • I'd be too sexy for my shirt if I wore one
    • View Profile
    • Russell Blake Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
I got one in January. It's awesome. Told Melissa Foster about it, now she has one. CJ Lyons told me about it. So it's a growing club.

Lost 12 pounds so far, clock about 4 of my 12 writing hours on it per day, walk at around 2.2-2.4 MPH. Has completely changed my view of writing, as well as the resignation I had about a sedentary lifestyle being a requisite to being a serious scribe. BS.

It works miracles, but don't cheap out. Mine was the $1500 Lifespan. I tried a couple of the less expensive ones I saw advertised and they weren't as solid feeling or as well built. A bargain at twice the price. Seriously.

Offline L.C. Candar

• Czech Republic, Europe
  • I'm importantsy! O___O
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
It was my thread in january, so here you go :-) 
www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,139988.0/topicseen.html

I still use mine, but with the great weather outside, I do much more walking in nature. I also still have to battle vertigo after I get off after a long writing session. But the productivity is definitively better than when sitting and I'm not procrastinating when walking while writing, which is a great help
In a crumbling carcass of a city, a girl without memories joins a soldier with way too many in a desperate bid to survive the night. But there's a secret she cant tell him, a secret she cant let herself know...

Offline jvin248

• View Profile
    • J Gordon Smith - Official Author Weblog
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
On the treadmill-desk: 3,000-6,000 words per day
On a regular desk: 1,500-2,500 words per day
Ever go out for a walk to mull over a thorny problem? Same thing at work on the treadmill-desk.
I found my writing sessions using the treadmill are longer because I don't get distracted from writing as easy.
I walk at 2.5-3.0mph with 12% grade and logged somewhere around 75 miles to write that vampire trilogy in my sig vvv.
Cut the budget and look for treadmills on Craigslist or garage sales -- many people got them in January and only hung clothes on them. Put a sturdy cabinet/shelf in front of the treadmill to put the monitor on (so it's stable) and buy a "$5" keyboard+mouse to have on the treadmill board (mine has carpet on the top) that way the desk can be less substantial (cheaper and lighter) and any mishap doesn't tumble the laptop/computer. Then I have music blaring.

Offline fallswriter

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the attached thread (looks a little guilty for not having searched for it first). It's sounding like for some of you, it's working out pretty well. I'm still considering this. Hubs is very handy, and I have no doubt he could help me cobble something together with a treadmill from Craigslist. Now just trying to decide whether or not I can live with it in my sunroom with my desk, or to hide it away in a room upstairs.
This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.~Neil Gaiman

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
Here you are:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,139988.0/topicseen.html

I was using mine for awhile. A few extra miles a day = guilt-free snackery! Sadly I stopped using the treadmill to write because my two different versions of Word on various computers weren't cooperating. The laptop has 2010 and it kept running words together. BUT, if I put my Scrivener on the laptop now, I think (hope) I'll be okay. Can't wait to get back on it.

ETA - Totally missed seeing the link upthread the first time. Doh!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:25:59 PM by N. Gemini Sasson »

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
Waiting for someone who is building me one.  :)  But during the summer I will write outside as much as I can anyway.
ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • Terrence OBrien
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
Is reading on a treadmill a different experience than reading in a LazyBoy Recliner? If you get lost in the world of the book, do you fall off the end of the treadmill?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:45:23 PM by Terrence OBrien »
When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
For UK Readers At Amazon UK
For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline Robert Gregory Browne

• California
    • View Profile
    • Rob's Website
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
I alternate between a standing desk and sitting desk throughout the day. It's bad for the body to be in the same position all day long.

Offline Terrence OBrien

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • Terrence OBrien
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
I worked many years on a trading floor where we stood all the time. All the tables were set up to be used when standing. Even if you're not going anywhere, people always moved around much more when standing. So a treadmill is fine, but just standing up and moving the desktop higher will make a big difference. And it's cheap.
When ideas become weapons, modern Templars make a last ditch attempt to stop
terrorists from using an ancient treaty to rally moderate Muslims to their Jihad......

My Web Site: www.OBrienTerrence.com
For UK Readers At Amazon UK
For Canadian Readers At Amazon CA

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:41 AM »
Is reading on a treadmill a different experience than reading in a LazyBoy Recliner? If you get lost in the world of the book, do you fall off the end of the treadmill?

I ran three miles last night at the gym while reading, so no, you don't fall off. It's amazing how your eyes learn to track the words even as you bounce up and down. Of course, I have to make the print a lot bigger when I'm running because I'm further away than when I normally read when sitting.

I alternate between a standing desk and sitting desk throughout the day. It's bad for the body to be in the same position all day long.

Darn right. I get really tense in the hamstrings due to tendinosis when I sit for too long, which causes my back, then my shoulders to get tight. I think I'd find it hard to just stand and type for any length of time, though. I'd feel antsy. Walking is fine, though.

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline Eric C

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 06:01:08 AM »
It'd be really hard to give up my sofa desk, but you people are tempting me.

Offline Zelah Meyer

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 06:09:38 AM »
I really, really want one.  I don't even have a proper desk at the moment.  I can't stand comfortably for long periods but I can walk.

We've totally outgrown our small rental flat and there is literally no floor-space left that isn't needed as a walkway.  We're surrounded by boxes!

One day... one day.

Offline Paul StJohn Mackintosh

• Budapest, Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 06:10:45 AM »
Here's a slew of mounts that allow you to attach a computer to an exercise bicycle:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/386593-monitor-mounts-for-exercise-bikes/

I remember seeing one time an exercise bicycle PC peripheral that was supposed to work like a super-joystick and connect straight to your machine.

My problem with all of these is that I prefer to handwrite freehand on a tablet screen using HWR. So pedalling while writing might work for typing, but it's going to be a bumpier ride with a stylus.

"I foresee even more powerful things ahead" - STEPHEN ROMER
www.paulstjohnmackintosh.com | facebooktwitter @pstjmack | "This book alone strikes me as among the most distinguished by younger British poets known to me" - MICHAEL HAMBURGER

Offline Jana DeLeon

• View Profile
    • Author website:
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »
I bought one at the beginning of the year and love it. Got the Lifespan model that comes with the desk.

http://www.lifespanfitness.com/workplacesolutions-treadmill-desk-and-bike-desk/treadmill-desks-treadmill-and-desk/tr1200-dt5-treadmill-desk.html

It definitely does NOT decrease my productivity. In fact, I am far less likely to wander off and get distracted by dishes or laundry or any of the 100 other things left undone in my home while I'm working on a rough draft.

I also have an air desk, which is a stationary model, but I have a inoperable middle back injury and it does not like standing still for long periods of time with my arms raised. The motion of walking takes away the irritation. My goal is to work up to four hours a day of walking/working.
NY Times and USA Today bestselling author

Offline Jana DeLeon

• View Profile
    • Author website:
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 06:14:37 AM »
I thought about getting the treadmill and desk separate and then rigging them together. I also write much faster after having a walking session to work the next few scenes out in my head before I sit down to write. There's something about getting the blood flowing that makes plotting easier!  :D
I did this at first and within 20 minutes, I'd burned up the motor in my treadmill. Regular treadmills are not made to go at very low speeds for long periods of time. If you can walk quickly and write then maybe you can get away with it. The treadmills designed for working have motors made to go at low speeds for hours on end. I think mine is rated for up to six hours a day and goes as slow as .4 mph up to 4 mph.
NY Times and USA Today bestselling author

Offline Zelah Meyer

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »
I did this at first and within 20 minutes, I'd burned up the motor in my treadmill. Regular treadmills are not made to go at very low speeds for long periods of time. If you can walk quickly and write then maybe you can get away with it. The treadmills designed for working have motors made to go at low speeds for hours on end. I think mine is rated for up to six hours a day and goes as slow as .4 mph up to 4 mph.

That's handy to know.  I'd been assuming that the big treadmills would have more staying power than the flimsy little things you get with treadmill desks - but I hadn't thought about the different demands on the motor.  Thanks!

Offline Eric C

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »
Here's a slew of mounts that allow you to attach a computer to an exercise bicycle:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/386593-monitor-mounts-for-exercise-bikes/

Oh, I hate exercise bikes. Have you got any monitor mounts for a real bike?

Offline TexasGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 06:40:29 AM »
Oh, I hate exercise bikes. Have you got any monitor mounts for a real bike?

This made me seriously laugh. If you can't drive and text, can you bike and write novels?