Kindle Forum banner

From original Kindle Fire to Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  L.E. Parin 
#1 ·
My first generation Kindle Fire (ordered the day they were announced) stopped charging.  Amazon offered me a great discount and I finally bit the bullet.  It will be here Wednesday, I'm so excited!  My daughter has the 8.9" KF so I've played with hers, it's amazing the difference.

I've so missed my Fire.  I'm just curious if anyone who went from the original to this one regretted doing so?  I'm afraid I'll miss the smaller size but.... I had to do it!

#28 ·
Yes, I also have learned to handle wonkiness by trying to reset (and putting it on a charger) and waiting it out. Never have called (except when it was choking while being re-instated after they de registered while it was missing. It took two CSRs some time to get that one unclogged.

The game was one that was already on the device and had been played on the device, but not recently. I do know for sure I re-downloaded it after the de-register effort.

Interesting that a game that did not show was the one I purchased last night that was the Free App of the Day.

And the browser had been dark for maybe a week, so this was a slow wonkiness..

I'm just pleased that when it came back from refusing to turn on, the browser was also fixed. Why the game was downloading, if it was, who knows?

Ann in Arlington said:
The new icon is probably an indication that an update to that game was downloading. Which also might explain the apparent freezing when you tried to use the browser.

In my experience, when either Fire goes wonky like this the thing to do is put it down for about 15 minutes -- on a charger if it's under 25% or so -- and then check it again. And maybe then do a restart just to let it clear out any stray bits and bytes.

#30 ·
I had 2 things on my status area (when you pull it down from the top) that said "Cubistry - Downloading 137%" and
Fraction Calculator Plus - Downloading 433%", so I guess those had updates (even though I didn't think any were allowed to auto-download), which would explain the calculator popping up on the carousel (Cubistry is usually there anyway since I play it a lot-relaxing!). But downloads 137% and 433% complete? Weird. They wouldn't go away and I had to reboot to get rid of them. 

#32 ·
AHA!!  It WAS Cubistry!!  And I hadn't played it lately (I've been on my first jag of Words with Friends.. or in my case, Words with Total Strangers, but we keep playing again) but yes, it was updating, per the notification, I saw later.  And no I didn't ask it to update.  hmm

The calculator apps hadn't been downloaded or re-downloaded since the de-register/re-register.

So. Cubistry seems to be the culprit!

However, the browser was displaying solid black for DAYS, even though the icon on the carousel would show a miniature of the page/site that was blacked out.  I was peeved because I like to be able to use GasBuddy, or click on links to caringbridge from email, .. on the Fire.  No Smart Phone. 

Anyway, mystery solved, at least for the total freeze.   

#34 ·
I was debating trading in my original fire for credits for the KFHD 8.9 when Gamestop was doing that promo around Christmas.  We ended up keeping it, and I'm really glad I did.  Even though I LOVE the 8.9, I don't seem to get the same battery life as with the original (nice having a backup), and there's a huge difference in weight when trying to hold it one-handed, (which I had to do a lot of when walking back and forth wearing my son in a Moby wrap while he napped).  I'm really glad to have both, but if I had to choose one, I'd definitely pick the 8.9 for the screen :D   

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.