Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need an Editor?

74K views 103 replies 39 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
If you need an editor, I'm taking submissions...

I have openings in August and September.

I'm running a special that combines comprehensive with line/copy editing for .004 cents a word.

http://laurakingsley.wordpress.com

#6 ·
D.L. Shutter said:
Laura

Are there any erotic categories that you won't work on? Do you have a minimum word count/cost for work? Basically, would you be willing to work on shorts?

Thanks
What categories are you referring to? I have worked on a few space/alien erotic pieces. I don't have a minimum, and my usual rate breaks down to $50.00 per 10,000 words.

I'm going to update my website later today to say exactly that.

#8 ·
If you're looking for an editor, I can definitely vouch for Laura. I'm working with her on my second book and she's barely even gotten started but has already blown me away. I'm highly impressed and would recommend her to anyone seeking a quality editor.

She has a lot of passion for it and genuinely wants to make your book better. Seriously. Check her out. Convince her to take on your book and send her a sample chapter. If her edits don't get your blood pumping...you might be dead.

#9 ·
crashaddict said:
If you're looking for an editor, I can definitely vouch for Laura. I'm working with her on my second book and she's barely even gotten started but has already blown me away. I'm highly impressed and would recommend her to anyone seeking a quality editor.

She has a lot of passion for it and genuinely wants to make your book better. Seriously. Check her out. Convince her to take on your book and send her a sample chapter. If her edits don't get your blood pumping...you might be dead.
Thanks for the endorsement, crash.
We'll see if you're saying that when I'm done. ;D
I just want to add, crash is a delight to work with.

#11 ·
Laura,

Sorry, we missed giving you the official welcome as a services provider! Better late than never...

Welcome to KBoards! [br][br]You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Café, but we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. (I've merged your new thread with your prior thread.) New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks![br][br]Also, active members (10 or more posts on our forum, active in the last 60 days) may have a listing in the Yellow Pages for Authors. [br][br]Betsy [br]KBoards Moderator

#16 ·
Al Stevens said:
You might want to edit your website. First impressions and all that...

Is there a list somewhere of published books you've edited?

It's good to have you here.
No I haven't listed anyone, and I don't have a best seller to my credit yet, but I have high hopes for one or two of my current clients in the near future. (Oh Emma...)

And I'll trade someone an edit of their first three chapters, if they can design me a great website. LOL. If I'm not on Word, Outlook, or the browser, I'm rather computer illiterate. And Yola is a pain. No wonder it's free. :mad:

#17 ·
Try WIX Laura; my website was really shoddy and amateurish (and took me four days of hell to get it looking like THAT) but when I found WIX I made a much better one in a single afternoon. VERY user friendly - it's very 'click to insert' in the way Microsoft Powerpoint is. Utterly delightful. And well worth the £30 I paid to have my domain name directly linked to my page!

#18 ·
Andrea Harding said:
Try WIX Laura; my website was really shoddy and amateurish (and took me four days of hell to get it looking like THAT) but when I found WIX I made a much better one in a single afternoon. VERY user friendly - it's very 'click to insert' in the way Microsoft Powerpoint is. Utterly delightful. And well worth the £30 I paid to have my domain name directly linked to my page!
Thank you Andrea!
I will check it out.

#19 ·
I've decided to continue running my special through August:

I am offering a discount on my usual services. (0.004 cents per word or $400.00 for 100,00 words) for a combined comprehensive edit and line edit, of your manuscript.

And I want to offer a huge thanks to Emily Ward for creating my new website/blog.

She does excellent work. I am so happy with it. ;D
awardingbookcovers.wordpress.com

#20 ·
Laura Kingsley said:
I've decided to continue running my special through August:

I am offering a discount on my usual services. (0.004 cents per word or $400.00 for 100,00 words) for a combined comprehensive edit and line edit, of your manuscript.

And I want to offer a huge thanks to Emily Ward for creating my new website/blog.

She does excellent work. I am so happy with it. ;D
awardingbookcovers.wordpress.com
I will keep you in mind when I have bank to roll with. ;) I would so dearly love an editor! It's the story-level revision that gets me the most. I know that working with a good editor is priceless so I hope to be able to afford one soon.

Edit: Oops, I should have checked your site first. My current series isn't a mystery per se but it has mystery elements to it. Still, keeping you in mind for other projects! Best of luck. :)

#21 ·
Indirectly said:
I will keep you in mind when I have bank to roll with. ;) I would so dearly love an editor! It's the story-level revision that gets me the most. I know that working with a good editor is priceless so I hope to be able to afford one soon.

Edit: Oops, I should have checked your site first. My current series isn't a mystery per se but it has mystery elements to it. Still, keeping you in mind for other projects! Best of luck. :)
I don't take classic Mystery, like Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, etc.
But if it's something like Matthew Reilly or National Treasure, it's not a problem.

And best of luck to you!

#22 ·
“The odds of making money is this business is very small, and the pain of having to give my characters emotions is almost unbearable at times, but working with you was one of the highlights and one of the things that made it all worthwhile.
“I highly recommend Laura Kingsley as an editor. She offered insightful comments on my manuscript, from story structure to line editing. It was a very positive collaborative experience. I am looking forward to working with her on future projects.”

Whether you're an author, editor, or book cover designer, sometimes no amount of money can truly compensate you for all the hard work you put into this process. This testimonial made my day because it was one of those experiences.  It was fun and just a real joy to work with this client.  :D

#24 ·
emilyward said:
Laura has been awesome so far with my YA Scifi novel! She's quick, thorough, thoughtful, and keeps the tone light so you don't feel like you're getting ready for a funeral when she suggests changes ;) I'd recommend her in a heartbeat!
And then there is quiet Emily. She's so nice and sweet, I actually feel bad when I send back her stuff. :-[

#26 ·
ScottC said:
I worked with Laura and I'll work with her again. I think she has a real gift for story structure, character arcs, and the like. She's a great collaborator.
Tinman, it was such a joy working with you. You have to keep writing. Don't leave me with the, "Oh, wonderful...dinner and show, and then instant death," moment. Besides, I'm afraid after we worked so hard to get you to emote, you're going to hide and forget how. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.